Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2 - Page 131 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 12th, 2012, 01:46 PM   #1951
country flag Stef-fan

Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all
Re: Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabybackhand View Post
I love Steffi, but I was happy for Kimiko that time. Was the match good?
BTW, nice to see all those Graf's pics in Wimbledon, the only one I "hate" is the one from 1991
I still like the 1990 US Open pictures though
Finished Seles book and so had to change my previous post. Gabybackhand, she calls Sabitini Gaby all though the book and I am wrong about one thing, she does mention 17 players voted but after reading the whole book, felt sad for her and her obsession with food although she still has unresolved feelings towards Steffi. But I still stick to my original post about everything else.
Just like I never like to watch 92 FO, she completely ignored 95 and 96 US open matches in her book, talks about every other GS event except that.
Can't blame her for that
Stef-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 12th, 2012, 03:11 PM   #1952
country flag tennisfan2808

tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all

Does anyone ever wonder why Steffi is NEVER featured in any tennis video games (Playstation, Wii, Xbox etc)? I think every other legend has been featured at least once before. It's just so strange that the greatest player of all time never appears in any games....
tennisfan2808 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2012, 04:00 PM   #1953
country flag XTN

XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfan2808 View Post
Does anyone ever wonder why Steffi is NEVER featured in any tennis video games (Playstation, Wii, Xbox etc)? I think every other legend has been featured at least once before. It's just so strange that the greatest player of all time never appears in any games....
Could it be that for a player to be featured in a game, the player needs to provide approval and Steffi declined? I do know she endorsed Wii and was in a few adverts (you can see them on youtube).
XTN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2012, 08:54 PM   #1954
country flag djul14

djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all

Yes you need licence to use the name/image of a player or a brand in a video game. And yes she endorsed wii, but wii (nintendo) is a console they don't do games. EAgames (for ex) is a video game publisher, they have to pay to use players/brands/etc.
djul14 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 12:20 AM   #1955
country flag Stef-fan

Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all

Just watching Martina and Martina at the GDF exo and couldn't help but think that both Martinas were the opponents for Steffi's first and last GS wins.
Some of the coincidences during Steffi's career that I have noticed so far:

Martina: Name of the opponents for Steffi's first and last GS title which happened to be the FO.
22 GS : The no: of GS won by Steffi, the no: of GS won by Pete Sampras and his main opponent Andre Agassi combined (14 + 8).
31 : The no: of GS final appearances by Steffi Graf, the no: of GS final appearances by Serena and Venus combined.
12 yrs : The no: of years between the first and last GS titles of Chris Evert (74-86), Navratilova (78-90), Steffi Graf (87-99) and Pete Sampras (90-02).
and finally, the co-winners of Agassi's first and Graf's last GS titles are each other.

Anyone else have any other inputs????
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 12:13 PM   #1956
country flag samn

samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef-fan View Post
12 yrs : The no: of years between the first and last GS titles of Chris Evert (74-86), Navratilova (78-90), Steffi Graf (87-99) and Pete Sampras (90-02).
Not only that, all four of them had "bookend" GS wins. Evert's and Graf's first and last Slam wins were both at Roland Garros, Navratilova's were at Wimbledon, and Sampras' at the US Open. That's just a really bizarre coincidence.

Quote:
Anyone else have any other inputs????
1938: Don Budge completed the first ever Grand Slam; Rod Laver was born.
1969: Rod Laver completed his second Grand Slam; Steffi Graf was born one day after Don Budge's 54th birthday; Maureen Connolly, the first female Grand Slammer, passed away a week after Steffi was born, on June 21.
1988: Graf becomes the third woman to win a Slam on the 50th anniversary of Don Budge's feat.
Best left-right combination by a German (and that includes Max Schmeling): Steffi Graf. All she did in 1987 was knock Navratilova out of #1 and try to knock Evert out of the sport. (Mike Lupica in "The Best and Worst of Tennis in 1987", World Tennis)

"A couple of years ago, we nicknamed Steffi Graf's forehand 'Jaws'. And that music would go perfectly when she starts running in to the net, swarming on that little ball." (JoAnne Russell, during the 1988 Wimbledon final between Graf and Navratilova)
samn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 01:49 PM   #1957
country flag Stef-fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by samn View Post
Not only that, all four of them had "bookend" GS wins. Evert's and Graf's first and last Slam wins were both at Roland Garros, Navratilova's were at Wimbledon, and Sampras' at the US Open. That's just a really bizarre coincidence.

1938: Don Budge completed the first ever Grand Slam; Rod Laver was born.
1969: Rod Laver completed his second Grand Slam; Steffi Graf was born one day after Don Budge's 54th birthday; Maureen Connolly, the first female Grand Slammer, passed away a week after Steffi was born, on June 21.
1988: Graf becomes the third woman to win a Slam on the 50th anniversary of Don Budge's feat.
Ridiculously bizzare coincidences for sure. Thank you for sharing.

I would add that the opponent of Pete Sampras first and last GS win happened to be the same person: Andre Agassi.
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 02:03 PM   #1958
country flag samn

samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute

I found these bits from a 1987 interview with Graf hilarious!

Q: When you consider the way you play, which player would you say you like
the least?
A: You'll be surprised - Elise Burgin of America, because of the unorthodox style of her game.

Q: Which surface do you like playing on best?
A: That doesn't make much difference any more. With one slight reservation: Despite my Grand Slam win in Paris, I'm not terribly fond of clay courts at the moment.
Best left-right combination by a German (and that includes Max Schmeling): Steffi Graf. All she did in 1987 was knock Navratilova out of #1 and try to knock Evert out of the sport. (Mike Lupica in "The Best and Worst of Tennis in 1987", World Tennis)

"A couple of years ago, we nicknamed Steffi Graf's forehand 'Jaws'. And that music would go perfectly when she starts running in to the net, swarming on that little ball." (JoAnne Russell, during the 1988 Wimbledon final between Graf and Navratilova)
samn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 06:02 PM   #1959
country flag Stef-fan

A recent on-camera interview with Steffi.

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/2012/2/...ilanthrop.html
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 07:19 PM   #1960
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
A recent on-camera interview with Steffi.

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/2012/2/...ilanthrop.html
What a terrific interview! Thanks for sharing that. I knew most of the information (but not the Micky Mouse watch thing), and what I find interesting its hearing her today, remembering what she was like growing up around the hounding press. She's so much more relaxed and comfortable. Used to be you just knew she hated interviews and wanted to get away from them as soon as possible. Nice to see her relax, and hear that she and her husband are totally okay with their kids non-interest in tennis, but like of other sports and activities. Can you imaging going to school for the first time, and other kids finding out who your parents are, and you not really thinking (or knowing) much about it?
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 07:28 PM   #1961
country flag Stef-fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfajeffster View Post
What a terrific interview! Thanks for sharing that. I knew most of the information (but not the Micky Mouse watch thing), and what I find interesting its hearing her today, remembering what she was like growing up around the hounding press. She's so much more relaxed and comfortable. Used to be you just knew she hated interviews and wanted to get away from them as soon as possible. Nice to see her relax, and hear that she and her husband are totally okay with their kids non-interest in tennis, but like of other sports and activities. Can you imaging going to school for the first time, and other kids finding out who your parents are, and you not really thinking (or knowing) much about it?
Yeah, thought the same, she is more relaxed and also remember, the person who interviewed is not a high profile press person.
Not sure if any of you watched Agassi on Jimmy Kimmel Live but I found it pretty amusing when he says that Jaden was watching a program on Djokovic on tennis channel about his amazing year and asked him whether he won all those tournaments before and he said yes, once and he asked, 'how about mommy?' and he said, yes and he asked how many times, Agassi said '4 times'. Guess Steffi's kids are big enough now to know what she has achieved but might take few years before they recognize the significance of her achievements.
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 02:21 PM   #1962
country flag djul14

djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all

They'll finally find out that Mommy is the best in the family, poor Andre
djul14 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 03:06 PM   #1963
country flag Stef-fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by djul14 View Post
You should watch him saying that. He says that his kids know for sure that mommy is way better than daddy. Here is the youtube clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aj7ws57GzLk
Old Feb 18th, 2012, 06:04 PM   #1964
country flag Seleção82

Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by djul14 View Post
Quote:
You should watch him saying that. He says that his kids know for sure that mommy is way better than daddy. Here is the youtube clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aj7ws57GzLk
But yet he outnumbered her by far in prize money.
Seleção82 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2012, 02:41 PM   #1965
country flag Stef-fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seleção82 View Post
But yet he outnumbered her by far in prize money.
Well, Steffi has all the hair

Andre and Steffi at Ali's B'day gala last night. As most times, beautiful in black.
http://the-slice.com/2012/02/agassi-...-of-love-gala/