Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2 - Page 115 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 25th, 2011, 06:52 PM   #1711
country flag grafan92

grafan92 is a splendid one to behold grafan92 is a splendid one to behold grafan92 is a splendid one to behold grafan92 is a splendid one to behold grafan92 is a splendid one to behold grafan92 is a splendid one to behold grafan92 is a splendid one to behold grafan92 is a splendid one to behold grafan92 is a splendid one to behold grafan92 is a splendid one to behold grafan92 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfajeffster View Post
She only played Patty Schnyder once- a QF loss at the US Open. It was Graf's first major back after having knee surgery and being out of competition for nearly all of 1997 (the year Hingis won so much, so put that into perspective not having to play Steffi for that great year).
Alfa, of what I can recall, I think she also had a wrist injury then and had to undergo a surgery after that. Does anyone remember?
grafan92 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 26th, 2011, 12:05 AM   #1712
country flag Stef-fan

Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by djul14 View Post

No you're smarter

Actually stopped by to say will be taking a break from posting (will try to remind you of your age though once in a while )
Had fun while it lasted.
Time to move on.
Stef-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2011, 12:26 AM   #1713
Grafiati

Grafiati is a name known to all Grafiati is a name known to all Grafiati is a name known to all Grafiati is a name known to all Grafiati is a name known to all Grafiati is a name known to all Grafiati is a name known to all Grafiati is a name known to all Grafiati is a name known to all Grafiati is a name known to all Grafiati is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafan92 View Post
Alfa, of what I can recall, I think she also had a wrist injury then and had to undergo a surgery after that. Does anyone remember?
It's true. Graf lost to Schnyder in the 4th round, but it wasn't her first major back (she lost to Zvereva in the 3R of 1998 Wimbledon). Graf's wrist was bothering her at the U.S. Open and she had surgery aftewards- I think it was sometime in late September. Fortunately, Graf had a solid indoor season and, as we all know, had a very special tournament win in 1999.
Grafiati is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2011, 01:00 PM   #1714
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grafiati View Post
It's true. Graf lost to Schnyder in the 4th round, but it wasn't her first major back (she lost to Zvereva in the 3R of 1998 Wimbledon). Graf's wrist was bothering her at the U.S. Open and she had surgery aftewards- I think it was sometime in late September. Fortunately, Graf had a solid indoor season and, as we all know, had a very special tournament win in 1999.
I personally liked the New Haven final just before the Open that year. After being away so long, and a slow start, Steffi systematically dismantled Jana Novotna with a spectacular array of all-court tennis. I remember the crowd even booing Jana toward the end because she obviously gave up trying to get back into the match at the end- she knew what she was up against. When Jana got everything together, she had the game to really bother Graf. Trouble for her was Steffi usually never gave her the time to get going. It was nice to see that both players really respected the others' game. Steffi really loved being pushed, and Jana occasionally could do it.
Old Aug 26th, 2011, 02:35 PM   #1715
country flag R-K-M

R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfajeffster View Post
I personally liked the New Haven final just before the Open that year. After being away so long, and a slow start, Steffi systematically dismantled Jana Novotna with a spectacular array of all-court tennis. I remember the crowd even booing Jana toward the end because she obviously gave up trying to get back into the match at the end- she knew what she was up against. When Jana got everything together, she had the game to really bother Graf. Trouble for her was Steffi usually never gave her the time to get going. It was nice to see that both players really respected the others' game. Steffi really loved being pushed, and Jana occasionally could do it.
Great content.

We should also remember the specialty of her semis match against Lindsay Davenport.
I love this tournament. Lindsay's days just started a few weeks back to the tourney. After beating Graf in semis,she faced Venus in the final of Florida and won in 3sets (where 0-3 to Venus) and in that match ,Lindsay earned confidence to become No.1 .
and,
Lindsay finished 3 consecutive titles before New Haven.

I remember that day here then i was in a village and no internet or no news channel and didn't know result of Steffi v Lindsay match in semis.So i was waiting for the newspaper on Sunday(yes,paper published 2days back result because of you know time difference b/w India and US) and felt so happy(difficult to exactly express) to read Steffi defeated Davenport.

and on next evening news,i knew she won the title also.
"She's one of the greatest players, may be even greatest" - Richard Krajicek
"Steffi is the best all around player of all-time, regardless of surfaces" - Martina Navratilova
"Steffi is definitely the greatest singles player ever" - Billie Jean King
R-K-M is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2011, 03:45 PM   #1716
country flag djul14

djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-K-M View Post
Great content.

We should also remember the specialty of her semis match against Lindsay Davenport.
I love this tournament. Lindsay's days just started a few weeks back to the tourney. After beating Graf in semis,she faced Venus in the final of Florida and won in 3sets (where 0-3 to Venus) and in that match ,Lindsay earned confidence to become No.1 .
and,
Lindsay finished 3 consecutive titles before New Haven.

I remember that day here then i was in a village and no internet or no news channel and didn't know result of Steffi v Lindsay match in semis.So i was waiting for the newspaper on Sunday(yes,paper published 2days back result because of you know time difference b/w India and US) and felt so happy(difficult to exactly express) to read Steffi defeated Davenport.

and on next evening news,i knew she won the title also.
And thanks to this victory, she won a title(at least) by year since ? (1985,86 ?)
Waiting for the newspapers to read the results, thank god for internet
djul14 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2011, 04:05 PM   #1717
country flag tennisfan2808

tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef-fan View Post
The players that Steffi has losing H2H record:
Joe Durie: 3-4
Wendy Turnbill : 1-2
Patty Schnyder : 0-1

She faced Durie and Turnbill when she young and did not have the chance to face them from 86-87 onwards.
I am not sure if there is anyone else.
haha, i had no idea that she played joe durie 7 times either!!!
tennisfan2808 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2011, 04:24 PM   #1718

tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all

I've always been curious on how many matches that Steffi won 6-0 6-0 in her career. If I counted correctly from SGISC website, she double-bagelled her opponents 21 times.
She even beat a player by the name of Rene Simpson 6-0 6-0 twice in a row!
And there are many (and I mean many!) matches which she won 6-1 6-0 or 6-0 6-1 too. Gosh, it must be soooooo darn hard to play her.........
Old Aug 26th, 2011, 04:32 PM   #1719
country flag Barktra
Allez

Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfan2808 View Post
I've always been curious on how many matches that Steffi won 6-0 6-0 in her career. If I counted correctly from SGISC website, she double-bagelled her opponents 21 times.
She even beat a player by the name of Rene Simpson 6-0 6-0 twice in a row!
And there are many (and I mean many!) matches which she won 6-1 6-0 or 6-0 6-1 too. Gosh, it must be soooooo darn hard to play her.........
It was probally really hard to direct the ball to her backhand. Nobody had Steffi's mental game when she was playing, no where near close. So that is why everbody expect for seles, sanchez-viciraio, and martina were scared to play her. That is why I think she won so many love sets.
Barktra is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2011, 06:19 AM   #1720
country flag R-K-M

R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future

I observe some other player's fans posting about Steffi&her fans on their player's threads.They say that they are open minded,not jealous and good fans.But when reading their posts (even those posts are without linking their favorites),many of those posts sound they are jealous and they are wasting their free time to making sleeping pills.
"She's one of the greatest players, may be even greatest" - Richard Krajicek
"Steffi is the best all around player of all-time, regardless of surfaces" - Martina Navratilova
"Steffi is definitely the greatest singles player ever" - Billie Jean King
Old Aug 31st, 2011, 06:40 PM   #1721
country flag bia

bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light

Found this on twitter.
http://wordsmatter.net/2011/08/30/la...ort-encounter/
bia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2011, 04:59 PM   #1722

thanks for the link. Oh man.... how I wish that could happen to me!!!
Old Sep 2nd, 2011, 03:47 PM   #1723
country flag R-K-M

An old news article from the last year
(which was published on September 2,2010 !):
http://www.fredbowen.com/c090210.htm
Old Sep 2nd, 2011, 03:56 PM   #1724
country flag djul14

djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by bia View Post
Yes thanks so much for the link, great read How lucky
I never met anyone while going to the bathroom
And to be honest if I had been this woman I probably would have suffered a heart attack
More seriously I don't know If I would have had the guts to ask her for a picture and an autograph, actually I think no words would have come out of my mouth so...
djul14 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2011, 11:02 PM   #1725
country flag Sally83

Sally83 is a name known to all Sally83 is a name known to all Sally83 is a name known to all Sally83 is a name known to all Sally83 is a name known to all Sally83 is a name known to all Sally83 is a name known to all Sally83 is a name known to all Sally83 is a name known to all Sally83 is a name known to all Sally83 is a name known to all

Only person to ever win the golden slam, all 4 majors and olympics gold in the one year.

Well done Steffi
Sally83 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote