Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2 - Page 114 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 15th, 2011, 01:56 AM   #1696
country flag Stef-fan

Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all
Re: Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

Reading Darren Cahill's responses to the readers and Steffi was mentioned in two of the answers.

Scott Shafer- Is it any longer possible to reach the top of the women's game with a slice backhand a la Graf, Navralitova? Or does the primary backhand need to provide power?

Darren Cahill- The slice backhand is still a great shot in the women's game. A lot of the Adidas players come through Las Vegas as a part of the Adidas Player Development Program to train and Steffi hits with them at every opportunity. All of the players STILL struggle to deal with Steffi's backhand slice! The advantages of the double handed backhand has seen the slice disappear to a large extent but it's still a very valuable shot if executed well. Not only can it be an offensive weapon, but it's crucial for staying in points when you are in a defensive position and allows you a little more hang time to recover back into the court. With the power in the game today, if you can keep the slice low, it makes it a lot tougher for your opponent to generate their own power, and it's still the best way to approach the net when that ball drops short and low in the service box. The bad movers in the women's game generally do not have a good b/h slice. The good movers do!

Elizabeth Keller- We are going to state finals this weekend and in districts a few teams were playing mind games during the warm up. What is a good way to deal with that behavior and do you cause trouble back or point it out to them. It was frustrating. Thank you

Darren Cahill- Ignore them. Mind games from your opponent will only work if you bite and they think they are getting somewhere. Let your racket do the talking when you get on court and keep the focus on what you are trying to achieve, and that is simply to WIN.

Engaging in mind games or constant chatter back and forth will only lend itself to confusing your game plan and clouding your thinking.

If your opponents are carrying on with some funny business during the warm up, it's because they are unsure of their ability to win.

Plus, you need to rise above it. Next time it happens, ask yourself how would Steffi Graf handle this situation? She would handle it with class, she would say nothing, she would probably give a little smile that would scare the hell out of her opponent, and then she would go on court and beat the living daylights out of her opponent.

Also, make sure you keep your energy levels up in the first few games to show that you've been anything but intimidated, and that you are there to win. You will be surprised how quickly the bluff on the other side of the net loses belief.

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?not...50265969903946
Stef-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 15th, 2011, 10:28 AM   #1697
country flag djul14

djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all

^^^He is in love
djul14 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2011, 12:41 PM   #1698
country flag bia

bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by djul14 View Post
^^^He is in love
Be careful, Andre!
bia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2011, 02:22 AM   #1699
country flag gabybackhand

gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of

Alfa, you posted this on another thread:
"Can you imagine Chris blatantly ignoring the Graf request at Wimbledon that she not be subjected to any questions about her father? Remember, Graf just hissing "stop it Tracy" and getting up and leaving the interview. Tracy was so smug with her nasty little face as if she'd accomplished some journalistic coup. I just felt the urge to throw water at her!"

Can you illuminate me about this incident????
Merciless Monica - Barcelona Bumblebee
gabybackhand is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2011, 10:43 AM   #1700
country flag Stef-fan

Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all

Quote:
^^^He is in love
Can I say "the Australians" are in love with her? This is Rennae Stubbs bringing up Steffi in a conversation.

SZ: Do you have a trainer at home who sends you work-out programs? Or do you have enough knowledge to do it yourself?

RS: In the last few years it’s narrowed down to me being disciplined enough to do it in the gym myself. When I was playing at my prime I would go home and really have training periods and then go on the road and maintain as much as I could. I also like to push myself in practice. I would always push myself on the court during practice and I think that always helped me.

SZ: Because you were more prepared when you got on the court?

RS: I just liked to push myself out on the court. Steffi Graf was like that. She just worked so hard on the court nothing was harder than that

SZ: You have purpose when you play.

RS: You have to have purpose in practice. I tell kids now that I hit with that are sort of half-assing it in practice, “Listen I just want you to know that this is the way you are going to play for the rest of your life, because you can’t practice one way and turn it around in a match. If you can’t do it now you’ll never be able to do it in a match.” Just being around Steffi Graf and some other greats through-out the years I saw that. I’m a pretty jovial kidding person but when I walked onto the court I was very serious about what I did. I think you’ve got to have this yearning to be good everyday. You’ve got to surround yourself with the right people who also want success.

http://www.susanzaro.com/?p=848
Old Aug 16th, 2011, 07:14 PM   #1701
country flag djul14

djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef-fan View Post
Can I say "the Australians" are in love with her? This is Rennae Stubbs bringing up Steffi in a conversation.

SZ: Do you have a trainer at home who sends you work-out programs? Or do you have enough knowledge to do it yourself?

RS: In the last few years it’s narrowed down to me being disciplined enough to do it in the gym myself. When I was playing at my prime I would go home and really have training periods and then go on the road and maintain as much as I could. I also like to push myself in practice. I would always push myself on the court during practice and I think that always helped me.

SZ: Because you were more prepared when you got on the court?

RS: I just liked to push myself out on the court. Steffi Graf was like that. She just worked so hard on the court nothing was harder than that

SZ: You have purpose when you play.

RS: You have to have purpose in practice. I tell kids now that I hit with that are sort of half-assing it in practice, “Listen I just want you to know that this is the way you are going to play for the rest of your life, because you can’t practice one way and turn it around in a match. If you can’t do it now you’ll never be able to do it in a match.” Just being around Steffi Graf and some other greats through-out the years I saw that. I’m a pretty jovial kidding person but when I walked onto the court I was very serious about what I did. I think you’ve got to have this yearning to be good everyday. You’ve got to surround yourself with the right people who also want success.

http://www.susanzaro.com/?p=848
^^^SHE is in love. (Yes I only post the same sentence again and again)
Old Aug 24th, 2011, 10:14 PM   #1702
country flag Barktra
Allez

Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute

Does Steffi have a losing record against anybody?
Barktra is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 12:40 PM   #1703
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterLover View Post
She only played Patty Schnyder once- a QF loss at the US Open. It was Graf's first major back after having knee surgery and being out of competition for nearly all of 1997 (the year Hingis won so much, so put that into perspective not having to play Steffi for that great year).
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 12:42 PM   #1704
country flag tennisfan2808

tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all

this is just something i can recall based on my memory alone (so i could be wrong). I think it's only against Jo Durie (0-1). But to me it was not fair, coz they played only once, that was in Wimbledon 1984, when Steffi just turned 15 and Jo was in the top 10. It was a tight match too (7-9 in the 3rd set). Had they played more after that, I'm very sure Steffi would have had a winning record against her as well
tennisfan2808 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 12:45 PM   #1705
country flag djul14

Yes her losing records are 0-1 against players she only played once.
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 02:43 PM   #1706
country flag Stef-fan

Quote:
Yes her losing records are 0-1 against players she only played once.
The players that Steffi has losing H2H record:
Joe Durie: 3-4
Wendy Turnbill : 1-2
Patty Schnyder : 0-1

She faced Durie and Turnbill when she young and did not have the chance to face them from 86-87 onwards.
I am not sure if there is anyone else.
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 02:57 PM   #1707
country flag djul14

Quote:
The players that Steffi has losing H2H record:
Joe Durie: 3-4
Wendy Turnbill : 1-2
Patty Schnyder : 0-1

She faced Durie and Turnbill when she young and did not have the chance to face them from 86-87 onwards.
I am not sure if there is anyone else.
Thanks Stef-fan
I absolutely ingored she played against Durie 7times
It must mean I am not this old actually
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 03:54 PM   #1708
country flag Stef-fan

Quote:
Thanks Stef-fan
I absolutely ingored she played against Durie 7times
It must mean I am not this old actually
Are you implying that I am older than you?
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 04:26 PM   #1709
country flag R-K-M

R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterLover View Post
visit SGISC site:http://www.sgisc.com
"She's one of the greatest players, maybe even greatest" : Richard Krajicek
"Steffi is the best all around player of all-time, regardless of surfaces" : Martina Navratilova
"Steffi is definitely the greatest singles player ever" : Billie Jean King
R-K-M is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 06:09 PM   #1710
country flag djul14

Quote:
Are you implying that I am older than you?

No you're smarter