Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2 - Page 103 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 6th, 2011, 10:11 AM   #1531
country flag morbidangle

morbidangle has much to be proud of morbidangle has much to be proud of morbidangle has much to be proud of morbidangle has much to be proud of morbidangle has much to be proud of morbidangle has much to be proud of morbidangle has much to be proud of morbidangle has much to be proud of morbidangle has much to be proud of morbidangle has much to be proud of morbidangle has much to be proud of
Re: Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

OK, so some details...
Went to Halle on Saturday with my friend who is not much of a womens tennis fan. He joined me just cause he wanted to see Steffi play, but on the train I kept on telling him how great Steffi was By the time we got there, he was totally sick and tired of me and my fanboy antics. There was an old lady on the train sitting in front of us and she could hear us talking about tennis and Steffi. At one point, my friend told me there was no huge superstar in womens tennis like a Federer or a Nadal.. and that lady turned and said 'ohh today you will see how big of a star is Steffi Graf'. Luved it!

Got to the stadium, and the first thing i noticed was the giant poster at the entrance.. (the one djul posted) And I had the same exact sentiments.. 'Steffi Graf.... and some other not so important ppl' Just wandered around the stadium. Saw Hewitt,Troicki, Aisam Qureshi and Goerges near the players hotel. Saw some quali matches.. Muster was a lot of fun. Saw Heidi Graf going towards the players area, got all excited and told my friend 'oohhhh there is Heidi' and he was like... 'whos that' I rolled my eyes and told him 'Steffi's mom' . He gave me that 'you really need to get a life' look. Before the match, Leconte made an appearance for the public. He was really funny on the stage. Signed a lot of autographs afterwards.

Waited outside the players area for a loong time ,waiting for Steffi, but then a security gaurd told us she had already left for the stadium. Decided to go in. Was disappointed with my seats. I knew our seats wud be crappy, but didnt expect them to be THAT crappy! but still, I was all excited... Afterall, I was gonna watch STEFFI!
Players started arriving, first up was Henri Leconte.. He went straight up to Heidi for a kiss. After him it was Goerges' turn and then Kafelnikov. Then I saw a blonde woman in awesome shape slowly appear on the entrance gate. My friend asked me if it was Steffi Graf. We cudnt properly tell from our seats, but I told him, looks like her, but cant be, I mean Steffi never wears pink! SO we assumed it was some tour official or sumthing. I leaned forward to see where Steffi was, and thats when I realised.. That woman in pink WAS infact Steffi Graf! goose bumps!

Then the highlight of the evening... Steffi's name was announced, they introduced her as (one of) the greatest female tennis player(s) , the greatest female german sports star etc etc. When she finally stepped on the court, there was a loud cheer followed by a standing ovation with Tina Turner's "simply the best" playing in the background. It was AMAZING! 12000 ppl on their feet, clapping in unison... that lasted for almost 5 minutes. Steffi was clearly moved. She acknowledged the crowed, but the applause kept going on and on! gave me goose bumps.. finally the applause finished and we sat down. I turned to my friend and before i cud say anything, he said 'WOW, that was something'. He was all emotional and excited. It was that good an applause. He had goose bumps too!
The match was fun. Leconte was the main entertainer, joking through out. Everyone laughed with him. Steffi was really nice. She smiled through out. Played pretty well.. her forehand was awesome. Looked stronger than Goerges' and Leconte's. Hit some great forehand winners. Served well too. I remember atleast 3 aces, 2 against Kaflenikov..
At one point a bug crawled on the court. Steffi and Henri put in quite an effort to get it out of the court safely. But just when they thought it had gone, the bug appeared again. The laughed and then decide to let it stay there. Henri bowed to Steffi, everytime she hit a forehand winner. Overall Steffi played quite well. They won the third set tie break 11-9.
After the match, we moved down from our seats and took some slightly better seats. I wanted to take an autograph so decided to go out early so we cud catch Steffi leaving the stadium. Turned out, everyone wanted an autograph and by the time I got to the stadium exit, there was a loooooong queue! Waited for about 15 minutes, then finally Steffi appeared. I was quite far back in the queue so cudnt really reach her, or see her properly... Got me pissed! Also, my friend was like 'its just an autograph, chill... just stay here and maybe you will get it, if u dont.. watever'
I tried to be all civil. But then I was like, screw it... this maybe my last chance to really meet Steffi upclose, so I kinda pushed my way through the queue
Found a spot which was much closer to the players, quickly went there and started hoping for Steffi to come there. My friend stayed back. At that point I didnt care , infact I had almost forgotten abt him! So, after a few minutes (and a lot of yelling) Steffi finally came towards the place where I was standing, my heart skipped a beat! and thats when i realized, I didnt have a pen, or a paper for that matter I was like 'F***!!!!' and just then a couple of women pushed their way infront of me... UGH.. I checked my pocket and luckily found my ticket in there... Saw Steffi holding a pen, so I was like.. OK dont need a pen and paper, now if only i cud get to the front... The women in front of me managed to get Steffi's autograph and were decent enough to leave the queue after that. It was now or never..
I pushed ppl.. prolly some kids too and finally landed infront of everyone! YAY... and there was Steffi... right infront of me... I tried to take a pic... but cudnt focus... then just tried to hand my ticket to Steffi... She finally took it.. While she was signing it, I said all kinds of things ..like " I am a HUGE fan, Womens tennis is not the same without you, We miss you etc etc etc... hahaha... I dont even remember! Steffi smiled and said thank you. She must've thought I was some idiot! Then she signed some more autographs and before leaving she wanted to return the pen she had in her hand.. she just looked at me and said 'stift?' (pen?) I was over the moon! Told her it wasnt mine. She gave it back to the person whos pen it was and left.. I left the queue, totally thrilled! Saw my friend standing at the back, waiting for me... As i approached him, he showed me his ticket.. turns out, when I left my original spot in the queue, a lot of other ppl left as well... and my friend went ahead and got an autograph. Damn! I am so glad I got the autograph, otherwise, if I had returned empty handed, to watch my friend with an autograph...wudve been UGLY!
Overall an AWESOME experience.
morbidangle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 6th, 2011, 10:17 AM   #1532
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute

I hope she didn't eat any bean sprouts while she was there...
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 12:30 PM   #1533
country flag djul14

djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all

HUGE THANK YOU morbidangle, this was a detailed post
Some things really made me laugh, especially your "mission" to have the autograph, poor kids
The standing ovation, i couldn't imagine less It must have been something incredible.
I hope she will do more exhibitions in Germany (or France), I mean to have a full stadium of 12 000 people "only" for an exhibition, you have to do some more

Last edited by djul14 : Jun 6th, 2011 at 03:41 PM.
djul14 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 03:16 PM   #1534
country flag tennisfan2808

tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all tennisfan2808 is a name known to all

Thanks morbidangle for the post. It was really great to hear how people really appreciate Stef after all these years. A 5-minute stand-O is a long time!!! Oh how i wish i could be there tooooooo.........!!!!!!!!
tennisfan2808 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 04:31 PM   #1535
country flag irma

irma has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by morbidangle View Post
OK, so some details...
Went to Halle on Saturday with my friend who is not much of a womens tennis fan. He joined me just cause he wanted to see Steffi play, but on the train I kept on telling him how great Steffi was By the time we got there, he was totally sick and tired of me and my fanboy antics. There was an old lady on the train sitting in front of us and she could hear us talking about tennis and Steffi. At one point, my friend told me there was no huge superstar in womens tennis like a Federer or a Nadal.. and that lady turned and said 'ohh today you will see how big of a star is Steffi Graf'. Luved it!

Got to the stadium, and the first thing i noticed was the giant poster at the entrance.. (the one djul posted) And I had the same exact sentiments.. 'Steffi Graf.... and some other not so important ppl' Just wandered around the stadium. Saw Hewitt,Troicki, Aisam Qureshi and Goerges near the players hotel. Saw some quali matches.. Muster was a lot of fun. Saw Heidi Graf going towards the players area, got all excited and told my friend 'oohhhh there is Heidi' and he was like... 'whos that' I rolled my eyes and told him 'Steffi's mom' . He gave me that 'you really need to get a life' look. Before the match, Leconte made an appearance for the public. He was really funny on the stage. Signed a lot of autographs afterwards.

Waited outside the players area for a loong time ,waiting for Steffi, but then a security gaurd told us she had already left for the stadium. Decided to go in. Was disappointed with my seats. I knew our seats wud be crappy, but didnt expect them to be THAT crappy! but still, I was all excited... Afterall, I was gonna watch STEFFI!
Players started arriving, first up was Henri Leconte.. He went straight up to Heidi for a kiss. After him it was Goerges' turn and then Kafelnikov. Then I saw a blonde woman in awesome shape slowly appear on the entrance gate. My friend asked me if it was Steffi Graf. We cudnt properly tell from our seats, but I told him, looks like her, but cant be, I mean Steffi never wears pink! SO we assumed it was some tour official or sumthing. I leaned forward to see where Steffi was, and thats when I realised.. That woman in pink WAS infact Steffi Graf! goose bumps!

Then the highlight of the evening... Steffi's name was announced, they introduced her as (one of) the greatest female tennis player(s) , the greatest female german sports star etc etc. When she finally stepped on the court, there was a loud cheer followed by a standing ovation with Tina Turner's "simply the best" playing in the background. It was AMAZING! 12000 ppl on their feet, clapping in unison... that lasted for almost 5 minutes. Steffi was clearly moved. She acknowledged the crowed, but the applause kept going on and on! gave me goose bumps.. finally the applause finished and we sat down. I turned to my friend and before i cud say anything, he said 'WOW, that was something'. He was all emotional and excited. It was that good an applause. He had goose bumps too!
The match was fun. Leconte was the main entertainer, joking through out. Everyone laughed with him. Steffi was really nice. She smiled through out. Played pretty well.. her forehand was awesome. Looked stronger than Goerges' and Leconte's. Hit some great forehand winners. Served well too. I remember atleast 3 aces, 2 against Kaflenikov..
At one point a bug crawled on the court. Steffi and Henri put in quite an effort to get it out of the court safely. But just when they thought it had gone, the bug appeared again. The laughed and then decide to let it stay there. Henri bowed to Steffi, everytime she hit a forehand winner. Overall Steffi played quite well. They won the third set tie break 11-9.
After the match, we moved down from our seats and took some slightly better seats. I wanted to take an autograph so decided to go out early so we cud catch Steffi leaving the stadium. Turned out, everyone wanted an autograph and by the time I got to the stadium exit, there was a loooooong queue! Waited for about 15 minutes, then finally Steffi appeared. I was quite far back in the queue so cudnt really reach her, or see her properly... Got me pissed! Also, my friend was like 'its just an autograph, chill... just stay here and maybe you will get it, if u dont.. watever'
I tried to be all civil. But then I was like, screw it... this maybe my last chance to really meet Steffi upclose, so I kinda pushed my way through the queue
Found a spot which was much closer to the players, quickly went there and started hoping for Steffi to come there. My friend stayed back. At that point I didnt care , infact I had almost forgotten abt him! So, after a few minutes (and a lot of yelling) Steffi finally came towards the place where I was standing, my heart skipped a beat! and thats when i realized, I didnt have a pen, or a paper for that matter I was like 'F***!!!!' and just then a couple of women pushed their way infront of me... UGH.. I checked my pocket and luckily found my ticket in there... Saw Steffi holding a pen, so I was like.. OK dont need a pen and paper, now if only i cud get to the front... The women in front of me managed to get Steffi's autograph and were decent enough to leave the queue after that. It was now or never..
I pushed ppl.. prolly some kids too and finally landed infront of everyone! YAY... and there was Steffi... right infront of me... I tried to take a pic... but cudnt focus... then just tried to hand my ticket to Steffi... She finally took it.. While she was signing it, I said all kinds of things ..like " I am a HUGE fan, Womens tennis is not the same without you, We miss you etc etc etc... hahaha... I dont even remember! Steffi smiled and said thank you. She must've thought I was some idiot! Then she signed some more autographs and before leaving she wanted to return the pen she had in her hand.. she just looked at me and said 'stift?' (pen?) I was over the moon! Told her it wasnt mine. She gave it back to the person whos pen it was and left.. I left the queue, totally thrilled! Saw my friend standing at the back, waiting for me... As i approached him, he showed me his ticket.. turns out, when I left my original spot in the queue, a lot of other ppl left as well... and my friend went ahead and got an autograph. Damn! I am so glad I got the autograph, otherwise, if I had returned empty handed, to watch my friend with an autograph...wudve been UGLY!
Overall an AWESOME experience.
Your friend is a Steffi fan now too?
To the river so deep
We all end in the ocean
We all start in the streams
We're all carried along
By the river of dreams
In the middle of the night
irma is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 09:40 PM   #1536
country flag Stef-fan

Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all

That's an awesome account morbidangle, thank you for sharing your experience with all the rest of us.
Stef-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 05:11 PM   #1537
country flag irma

irma has disabled reputation

http://www.ct24.cz/sport/126538-zive...ji-v-o2-arene/

You can watch Steffi and Andre live in praque here
To the river so deep
We all end in the ocean
We all start in the streams
We're all carried along
By the river of dreams
In the middle of the night
irma is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 05:42 PM   #1538
country flag Stef-fan

Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all

Thank you so much Irma, the quality of the video feed is really great.
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 06:18 PM   #1539
country flag morbidangle

morbidangle has much to be proud of morbidangle has much to be proud of morbidangle has much to be proud of morbidangle has much to be proud of morbidangle has much to be proud of morbidangle has much to be proud of morbidangle has much to be proud of morbidangle has much to be proud of morbidangle has much to be proud of morbidangle has much to be proud of morbidangle has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by djul14 View Post
HUGE THANK YOU morbidangle, this was a detailed post
Some things really made me laugh, especially your "mission" to have the autograph, poor kids
The standing ovation, i couldn't imagine less It must have been something incredible.
I hope she will do more exhibitions in Germany (or France), I mean to have a full stadium of 12 000 people "only" for an exhibition, you have to do some more

Btw, I do think there is a good chance Steffi will play the Longines exho at RG next year. If she does, I hope you're there... to push some innocent kids!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfan2808 View Post
Thanks morbidangle for the post. It was really great to hear how people really appreciate Stef after all these years. A 5-minute stand-O is a long time!!! Oh how i wish i could be there tooooooo.........!!!!!!!!
Thanx!

Quote:
Originally Posted by irma View Post
Your friend is a Steffi fan now too?
yeah, he kind of is. He has started watching some of old Steffi matches..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef-fan View Post
That's an awesome account morbidangle, thank you for sharing your experience with all the rest of us.
Thanks!
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 06:18 PM   #1540
country flag morbidangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by irma View Post
http://www.ct24.cz/sport/126538-zive...ji-v-o2-arene/

You can watch Steffi and Andre live in praque here
Thanks a lot for that link irma!
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 08:50 PM   #1541
country flag Stef-fan

Even AP cannot get Graf's name right, the mistake was corrected later on and correction posted as well but 'GRAFF' is too much. You can scroll forward to see the correction and some more pictures from the match.
http://tennis.com/galleries/image.aspx?image=38493
Old Jun 9th, 2011, 11:38 AM   #1542
country flag calou

calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future

an article for the French Steffi fans and for those who speak French (not so many people ...)
http://www.purepeople.com/article/an...tense_a81355/1
calou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2011, 04:56 PM   #1543
country flag djul14

djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by calou View Post
an article for the French Steffi fans and for those who speak French (not so many people ...)
http://www.purepeople.com/article/an...tense_a81355/1
Thanx
Even if I am not a fan of Purepeople, 1st paragraph "the 2americans..."
djul14 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2011, 01:09 PM   #1544
Steffistian

Steffistian is just really nice Steffistian is just really nice Steffistian is just really nice Steffistian is just really nice Steffistian is just really nice Steffistian is just really nice Steffistian is just really nice Steffistian is just really nice Steffistian is just really nice Steffistian is just really nice Steffistian is just really nice

Hi everybody,
This is my first post on the thread and just posted my previous 6 posts on Wimbledon thread.
Steffistian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2011, 05:37 PM   #1545
country flag jjg

jjg is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.ct24.cz/sport/tenis/12653...is-stale-bavi/

Does anybody have the whole match other than on this website...it's not available to watch in the U.S.
jjg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote