Rules thread - 2013 - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 7th, 2011, 09:58 AM   #16
country flag ma re

ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to play and rule thread - 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronim1 View Post
We need to keep in mind to keep tha game simple.

1)Looking for betting sites etc. is IMO not in the scope of this game.
2)Llooking for winners of rounds, who will decide if the winner of round 3, is more or less imortant than the winner of 4 or 2?

The whole idea of rule #4, is to avoid shared winners, as there may only be one winner in tennis.
Sometimes the tournaments are played in Europe, sometimes in Asia and others are players in Americas, so there is a fair distribution of Time lines.

Players who see themselves contenders should hurry and place their tip.
There are some good points here roni, but it wouldn't be impossible to find a good solution I think. I was brainstorming a bit yesterday and figured out that we could, for example, ask people to guess the number of games for the two semis as well. It wouldn't complicate the game, and it wouldn't make the manager's job any more dificult, but it could solve ties in I'd say a more fair fashion than this comparing who posted earlier. So, in case of a tie in points, we'd compare who got the winner right and who was closer in games for the final, but in case there's still a tie we'd look at who was closer in games for the semis, and it's very unlikely that this wouldn't solve it. To even further reduce the chance of a tie there, we'd for example, compare by who had a closer "better guess" i.e. of your two guesses for the number of games in semis, only the closer one would be used to solve ties.

And as far as what you stated under 2) goes, my original idea included that F > SF > QF > (R4 > R3) R2 > R1. But as we saw in RG, that can't solve a tie every time; in fact, it can't solve them quite often cause people who are tied, frequently have identical results by rounds.
ma re is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 7th, 2011, 11:08 AM   #17
country flag WhoAmI?

WhoAmI? has a reputation beyond repute WhoAmI? has a reputation beyond repute WhoAmI? has a reputation beyond repute WhoAmI? has a reputation beyond repute WhoAmI? has a reputation beyond repute WhoAmI? has a reputation beyond repute WhoAmI? has a reputation beyond repute WhoAmI? has a reputation beyond repute WhoAmI? has a reputation beyond repute WhoAmI? has a reputation beyond repute WhoAmI? has a reputation beyond repute

I think the semifinal games idea is good

Maybe this should apply in Wimbledon?

And to conclude, what's the case of solving the tie-break? I think you should maybe make the standard opening page (as a new thread), so everyone would get it correct. Otherwise people copy from earlier threads and as you said the rulces have been swapped, so it might not be totally correct always.

WhoAmI? is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 11:17 AM   #18
country flag ma re

ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoAmI? View Post
I think the semifinal games idea is good

Maybe this should apply in Wimbledon?

And to conclude, what's the case of solving the tie-break? I think you should maybe make the standard opening page (as a new thread), so everyone would get it correct. Otherwise people copy from earlier threads and as you said the rulces have been swapped, so it might not be totally correct always.

Don't know if we'll agree on some new rules by Wimbledon, but it's possible.

Your suggestion about making a standard opening post is a very good one, I'll look into making one as soon as possible
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 08:25 AM   #19
country flag ronim1

ronim1 has much to be proud of ronim1 has much to be proud of ronim1 has much to be proud of ronim1 has much to be proud of ronim1 has much to be proud of ronim1 has much to be proud of ronim1 has much to be proud of ronim1 has much to be proud of ronim1 has much to be proud of ronim1 has much to be proud of ronim1 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma re View Post
There are some good points here roni, but it wouldn't be impossible to find a good solution I think. I was brainstorming a bit yesterday and figured out that we could, for example, ask people to guess the number of games for the two semis as well. It wouldn't complicate the game, and it wouldn't make the manager's job any more dificult, but it could solve ties in I'd say a more fair fashion than this comparing who posted earlier. So, in case of a tie in points, we'd compare who got the winner right and who was closer in games for the final, but in case there's still a tie we'd look at who was closer in games for the semis, and it's very unlikely that this wouldn't solve it. To even further reduce the chance of a tie there, we'd for example, compare by who had a closer "better guess" i.e. of your two guesses for the number of games in semis, only the closer one would be used to solve ties.

And as far as what you stated under 2) goes, my original idea included that F > SF > QF > (R4 > R3) R2 > R1. But as we saw in RG, that can't solve a tie every time; in fact, it can't solve them quite often cause people who are tied, frequently have identical results by rounds.

I completely agree.

2010- Tipping: Winner-Generali Ladies Linz;
2009 Winner Tipping:
Portoroz;2008 Winner Suicide Tennis: Generali Ladies Linz Tipping: Fortis Luxembourg;Kremlin Cup;Guangzhou;New Haven;OG Beijing;Los Angeles;Rome
ronim1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 11:07 PM   #20
country flag Payam

Payam is a splendid one to behold Payam is a splendid one to behold Payam is a splendid one to behold Payam is a splendid one to behold Payam is a splendid one to behold Payam is a splendid one to behold Payam is a splendid one to behold Payam is a splendid one to behold Payam is a splendid one to behold Payam is a splendid one to behold Payam is a splendid one to behold

I have a question about scoring and I am not sure where is the best place to ask it. As far as the scoring section mentions every correct guess in the first round gets one point and the second round gets 2, third round 3, and ... .
Is that right?
Payam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2011, 07:47 AM   #21
country flag ma re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payam View Post
I have a question about scoring and I am not sure where is the best place to ask it. As far as the scoring section mentions every correct guess in the first round gets one point and the second round gets 2, third round 3, and ... .
Is that right?
Yup
Old Jun 10th, 2011, 06:20 AM   #22
country flag Payam

Payam is a splendid one to behold Payam is a splendid one to behold Payam is a splendid one to behold Payam is a splendid one to behold Payam is a splendid one to behold Payam is a splendid one to behold Payam is a splendid one to behold Payam is a splendid one to behold Payam is a splendid one to behold Payam is a splendid one to behold Payam is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the reply Ma Re.
Payam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 11:51 AM   #23
country flag ma re

Not sure this is the place to post it, but I don't want to open yet another thread, so here it is - I have a suggestion of the addition to the point system.

More specifically, I suggest that for 2012 season we include bonus points for players ranked 9-12 in tournaments as well, giving them 20, 30 or 40 points for such results respectively, depending on the tournament category.

The reason is simply because now we have much more players in each and every tournament than a year or more ago, not to mention that up until the start of this season there were mostly between 50 and 60 players overall, while now we have more than a hundred. Up until this year, we barely ever had 30 players in any tournament other than a grand slam, but nowdays 45-50 seems to be the norm even for the smallest events.

Any thoughts on this?
Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 02:46 PM   #24
country flag longtin23

longtin23 has a brilliant future longtin23 has a brilliant future longtin23 has a brilliant future longtin23 has a brilliant future longtin23 has a brilliant future longtin23 has a brilliant future longtin23 has a brilliant future longtin23 has a brilliant future longtin23 has a brilliant future longtin23 has a brilliant future longtin23 has a brilliant future

I agree, an I also think that we should have two tournaments in the same week...

V.Williams Zheng Peng Zhang Pavlyuchenkova Cornet Larsson
Mladenovic Garcia Wickmayer
longtin23 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 02:57 PM   #25
country flag ma re

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtin23 View Post
I also think that we should have two tournaments in the same week...
This will be the case a few times next seasons, but not for every week. Depending on the WTA schedule for 2012 and because of the need to play more events in Asia and Oceania, we will play two events per week when an opportunity comes to include more tournaments from those regions. But this will (as it now seems) not be implemented throughout the season, cause we did have that in tipping a few years ago, and the players themselves asked for only one event per week. Even with just one we sometimes forget to post picks or are not able to play that week, and I think this is the primary reason why people complained. I appreciate the idea though. If more people show interest in your suggestion, we will definately discuss it and maybe even introduce, but for now, looks like most players wouldn't be interested.
Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 06:22 PM   #26
country flag ronim1

ronim1 has much to be proud of ronim1 has much to be proud of ronim1 has much to be proud of ronim1 has much to be proud of ronim1 has much to be proud of ronim1 has much to be proud of ronim1 has much to be proud of ronim1 has much to be proud of ronim1 has much to be proud of ronim1 has much to be proud of ronim1 has much to be proud of

I agree with ma re's suggestion to enlarge point distribution.

I disagree with the idea of having more than one tourney per week.
In those cases, we will go back to having only 15-20 players per week.
Also we will need more managers, will need more calculations etc.
I really don't see what we will gain with this.
2009 Winner Tipping:
Portoroz;2008 Winner Suicide Tennis: Generali Ladies Linz Tipping: Fortis Luxembourg;Kremlin Cup;Guangzhou;New Haven;OG Beijing;Los Angeles;Rome
Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 07:40 PM   #27
country flag ma re

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronim1 View Post
I disagree with the idea of having more than one tourney per week.
In those cases, we will go back to having only 15-20 players per week.
Also we will need more managers, will need more calculations etc.
I really don't see what we will gain with this.
While it is possible that the number of players per tournament goes down on those weeks in which we play two events at the same time, I don't really see a problem here, because as it now seems, that will only be the case a few times during the whole season. Additionally, I think we should maybe stick to just 8 players receiving bonus points during such weeks because of this very reason (probable drop in the number of players per event compared to what we see today).

Yes, we will need some more managers (maybe a few more), but considering all the interest that was seen this year for running events (the fact that all the tournaments were reserved well before the end of the season), that should not be a problem.

What we would get with that is satisfaction for all the players living in Asian countries, Australia and Oceania, and there is quite a few of them. They complain how, because most tournaments are played in Europe and the USA, they often forget to send their picks or are not able to do it in time, due to time zones. That's a fair argument, because I know what kind of a mess it's sometimes for me to play tournaments in China or Australia. So this (as it now stands) will only serve the purpose of implementing more Asian and Australian tournaments into the schedule, and I believe it will bring something new and interesting into the game.
Old Oct 24th, 2011, 05:44 PM   #28
country flag ronim1

I'm still not convinced of this necessity.
I have missed tipping a few times this year, but didn't complain.
But on the other hand, if you guys insist, it's OK by me.
2009 Winner Tipping:
Old Oct 24th, 2011, 06:41 PM   #29
country flag Frederik

Frederik has a reputation beyond repute Frederik has a reputation beyond repute Frederik has a reputation beyond repute Frederik has a reputation beyond repute Frederik has a reputation beyond repute Frederik has a reputation beyond repute Frederik has a reputation beyond repute Frederik has a reputation beyond repute Frederik has a reputation beyond repute Frederik has a reputation beyond repute Frederik has a reputation beyond repute

same here (on the necessity part)
TT Singles: #199 CH: #2 Finals: Luxembourg '12, Miami '13, Carlsbad '13, YEC '13 SF: Dallas '12, US Open '12, Indian Wells '13, Cincinnati '13, New Haven '13, Tokyo '13
TT Doubles: #52 CH: #10 Titles: Dallas '12, Brussels '13, Cincinnati '13, US Open '14 Finals: Seoul '12, Brisbane '13 SF: Wimbledon '12, US Open '12, TOC '12, Dubai '13, New Haven '13, Tokyo '13
Frederik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2011, 08:05 AM   #30
country flag ma re

We can do this - when the official 2012 WTA schedule comes out, I'll post two proposed 2012 tipping schedules; one using the same rules so far, and the other with the proposed new rules.