2010 Dual Match Line-Ups - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 06:59 PM   #31
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all
Scared Straight

By overturning Syracuse's win the ITA is sending a strong message about cracking down on stacked line-ups.
The effect this will hopefully have is teams using stacked line-ups will be scared straight.

Ex. This announcement came out on 2/18. On 2/19 Long Beach St. moved Deborah Armstrong from #1 to #2 singles. On 2/20 Armstrong moved again from #2 to #3 singles. So just 2 days after the ITA announced they overturned Syracuse's win for a stacked line-up, LBS was scared straight into immediately dropping Deborah "sacrificial lamb" Armstrong from #1 to #3 singles.

Last edited by gouci : Mar 2nd, 2010 at 07:04 PM.
gouci is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 8th, 2010, 03:23 AM   #32
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all
Texas HS state champs caught cheating

Here's an article below about New Braunfels High School in Texas, where blue chip Lilly Kimbell and 5 star Samantha Adams attends. They're the 3 time defending Texas state champions and were nailed cheating.

Lilly Kimbell is one of the girls caught cheating on tape. Her high school had an "off-campus physical education class" which was just a front to have private training for the players at a tennis academy during school hours.

New Braunfels stripped of tennis titles.

Last edited by gouci : Mar 8th, 2010 at 03:29 AM.
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 12:20 PM   #33
country flag Embittered

Embittered has disabled reputation
Re: Texas HS state champs caught cheating

This is even further outside my area of expertise (assuming I have one) than my usual clueless witterings, but...
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouci View Post
Here's an article below about New Braunfels High School in Texas, where blue chip Lilly Kimbell and 5 star Samantha Adams attends. They're the 3 time defending Texas state champions and were nailed cheating.

Lilly Kimbell is one of the girls caught cheating on tape. Her high school had an "off-campus physical education class" which was just a front to have private training for the players at a tennis academy during school hours.

New Braunfels stripped of tennis titles.
That's a very emotive phrase, especially the 'c' word. Personally, I don't see any stain on Kimbell's character here. I'd prefer something like 'found in breach of the rules'. And it is subject to appeal. I see Karma in the comments section on mysantonio wasn't impressed!

Some poor girl in Texas has to live with the fact that her father (I'm guessing) hired a private investigator to win her a title that she couldn't win through her skill on the tennis court. And now the creative ambiguity that allowed Texas girls to play school matches against opponents of the stature of Kimbell has been destroyed.
Embittered is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 03:15 PM   #34
country flag gouci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embittered View Post
This is even further outside my area of expertise (assuming I have one) than my usual clueless witterings,
Embittered in my humble opinion you are way off on this issue.

1. Extra benefits.

In college for example players are made ineligible over small extra benefits. How much of an extra benefit do you think offering "Tennis Academy 101" is worth?

(pro instructor hourly rate)times(# of players)times(# of days class held) = $$$ in extra benefits

2. Facilities.

In high school you're supposed to practice using the high school tennis courts and not the resources and facilities of a tennis academy which is ten times better.

3. Coaching.

High school tennis doesn't work where a superstar player can train with her private coach separately from the rest of the team and then the superstar can just show up at matches.

4. Probably other things I'm missing. Such as the ability to recruit players with "Tennis Academy 101" as the lure.

Embittered if you want to look at getting extra benefits, better facilities and better coaching as just a "breach of rules" and not cheating than you're naive or crazy.
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 05:35 PM   #35
country flag gouci

Embittered is that you posting a rebuttal under the name "Facts"?

My I say I'm a neutral party that has no rooting interest who wins the HS tennis championships in Texas.
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 05:43 PM   #36
country flag Facts

Facts is just really nice Facts is just really nice Facts is just really nice Facts is just really nice Facts is just really nice Facts is just really nice Facts is just really nice Facts is just really nice Facts is just really nice Facts is just really nice Facts is just really nice

Gouci, If you are a senior member of this forum, you had better get your facts together before slandering someone. Your post scares me with your hatred and ignorance. It is a team tennis championship made up of 44 members that we are talking about.

Lilly Kimbell was not on tape. 2 of the Unicorn boys were. Rumor has it that a Westlake parent hired a P.I. The P.I. followed the boys (who are both top students in their class and want to be doctors, no kidding) from school over to Newk's. They were getting ready to leave for a tournament. It was 11:00 in the morning, not even during high school tennis season (December, 2008) He hired a private investigator to film them. His intimation was that the kids got off at noon'ish to practice tennis, which of course is ridiculous. Isn't it scary too that the P.I. knew that they'd be there at that time, because normally they aren't? Isn't that against privacy laws?

NBHS found out about it at a coaches meeting and started checking into it. They found that no of course no kids were onsite normally at the academy at 11:00 a.m., but they did get questions about the Newk's class.

The class in question is group lessons, so your little math equation is all wrong. She isn't taking any privates, even at Newk's, except with her family. The class also has been going on for 27 years. It is a P.E. class that high school kids can attend. Little kids are in it too; my ten year old is in your version of "elite tennis classes"; kids from all over the San Antonio area go to it, including your high school. The only reason it got "investigated" is because NBHS has won the state title and the other schools are jealous. The class is in the school catalog. Nothing was hidden. Been that way for 27 years.

The rules are not clear. The UIL book says that you can have outside/private (which are really group) lessons. The UIL book also says that you have to have a full-time district employee onsite. So which is it? It is a muddy area.

The dog-eat-dog-we-are-going-to-take-NBHS-down-because-we've-been-jealous-of-NBHS-for years "committee" that decided this 27 year old class wasn't ok, was comprised only of competitor schools (principals and AD's). Schools that have been jealous for years, and whose kids would directly benefit by taking away the team championship. That is objective?

If you think that either Sam or Lilly really wanted to play high school tennis to just be the champion, you have to be kidding. People make fun of hs tennis in the real tennis world; they act like it is nothing. However, their parents played high school tennis and loved it; then pushed them into it at the beginning, and then they loved the camaraderie. That is why they play hs tennis. By the way, Lilly also played freshman NBHS basketball. If she is such a superstar, would she really have done that? She certainly doesn't think she is any kind of a star, for sure! She'd still have kept with bball, but sprained her ankle 2x in a summer league so thought she better stop.

By the way, the NBHS kids left school at 3:10 p.m. They traveled over to Newk's and got there about 3:30 (construction). Regular school gets out at 3:50 p.m. That is the timeframe w are talking. Newk's doesn't start until 4:00. (Officially they start at 3:30, but there is talking, joking, dinking around, so they don't hit balls until 4:00). So where is the cheating? Were the kids supposed to say, "Hey, wait, I want to stay another 40 minutes at school so I can't go?" Why are the kids being penalized? If the class is not ok with the rules, change the class, but don't punish the kids.

By the way, they tell us that 90% of the time, the UIL sides with that very objective committee made up of dog-eat-dog competitors. But now you know the facts.
Facts is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 07:20 PM   #37
country flag Embittered

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouci View Post
Embittered is that you posting a rebuttal under the name "Facts"?

My I say I'm a neutral party that has no rooting interest who wins the HS tennis championships in Texas.
Um, no. I think I'm done on this topic for the nonce.

Whether or not sock-puppetry is the sort of thing I'd do, I'd be quite incapable of showing that level of knowledge, indeed any non-zero level of knowledge, of Texas schools' tennis.

But how on earth did you manage to respond before Facts posted?!?
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 07:20 PM   #38
country flag Amalgamate

Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future
Re: 2010 Dual Match Line-Ups

“A parent hired a private investigator to come in and spy on New Braunfels,”

This is all incredibly catty!
Amalgamate is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 05:54 AM   #39
country flag gouci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embittered View Post
But how on earth did you manage to respond before Facts posted?!?
I made a huge mistake by revealing to everyone here my biggest secret..... I'm psychic!
Old Mar 14th, 2010, 12:23 PM   #40
country flag Embittered

The database was being migrated here, meanwhile in Texas...

Texas A&M women have filed an official protest over their 5-2 loss to SMU [over Vankova playing at no. 2 and retiring at 0-5].

Main story from the Texas College Tennis Blogger: http://www.texascollegetennis.com/?p=2289 and later tweet reiterating his sympathies.

I tried googling for other versions of the story, but didn't find anything.
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 09:06 PM   #41
country flag Embittered

http://twitter.com/txcollege10s/statuses/10674107716
Well the team result has been swiped off the book in the A&M-SMU fiasco, but all individual results stand. A&M appealing the appeal
There's also a piece on his website.