Ranking Watch - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 20th, 2010, 01:01 PM   #1
country flag kwilliams

kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute
Ranking Watch

Where's my old ranking thread gone?

Anyway, with Dementieva's loss today Venus is a shoe in to get back into the top 5.

Here are the current ranking points with each player's performance at last year's AO and the points they won.

Serena 9,195 (W/2000)
Safina 7,600 (F/1400) 6,480
Kuznetsova 6,081 (QF/500) 5,801
Wozniacki 5,875 (3RD/160) 5,995
Dementieva: 5,505 (SF/900) 4,705
Venus: 5,126 (2nd/100)
Azarenka: 4,740 (4th/280)
Jankovic: 3,965 (4th/280)
Zvonareva: 3,560 (SF/900)
Radwanska: 3,450 (1st/5)
Bartoli: 3,325 (QF/500)

Of course most of the players behind Venus could only take her spot by going extremely deep (with Venus losing early) and some need to win the whole thing and it's unlikely that some would win the AO...but you never know. Zvonareva can't overtake Venus even with a win down under.

So, Dementieva is down 800 points because GS results are mandatory. Venus will pass her in the rankings and it'll take a big effort from one of the players behind Venus to get into the top 5 ahead of her. Let's hope Venus can go deep in Melbourne.

As for doubles Venus and Serena have 2,000 points to defend and Bluber only have 500 points to defend. So Venus and Serena can't catch them here and will have to work hard to keep the gap at 1,200 points.

http://flickr.com/photos/keithmaguire/

Last edited by kwilliams : Jan 26th, 2010 at 02:15 AM.
kwilliams is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 20th, 2010, 05:30 PM   #2
country flag Direwolf

Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ranking Watch

Dementieva could actully go down to number 9...
!!!

Venus to take the 2nd Rank after AO!!!
Direwolf is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 06:13 PM   #3
country flag The Witch-king

The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute

God i remember those cursed "Venus has a chance to be number X" threads popping up every week last year, and then she would lose immediately ...
The Witch-king is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 06:30 PM   #4
country flag dynamoRockstarr
Venus Fan

dynamoRockstarr has a reputation beyond repute dynamoRockstarr has a reputation beyond repute dynamoRockstarr has a reputation beyond repute dynamoRockstarr has a reputation beyond repute dynamoRockstarr has a reputation beyond repute dynamoRockstarr has a reputation beyond repute dynamoRockstarr has a reputation beyond repute dynamoRockstarr has a reputation beyond repute dynamoRockstarr has a reputation beyond repute dynamoRockstarr has a reputation beyond repute dynamoRockstarr has a reputation beyond repute

Good thing this one is titled Ranking Watch.

Planet Venus

[SouthSide, Duval, Keys, Stephens]
dynamoRockstarr is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 07:09 PM   #5
country flag Direwolf

Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute

but i saw a thread in GM

"Serena and Venus could be number 1 and 2 after AO"

i saw it somewhere...
and it has a similar title...
Direwolf is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 07:25 PM   #6
country flag dynamoRockstarr
Venus Fan

dynamoRockstarr has a reputation beyond repute dynamoRockstarr has a reputation beyond repute dynamoRockstarr has a reputation beyond repute dynamoRockstarr has a reputation beyond repute dynamoRockstarr has a reputation beyond repute dynamoRockstarr has a reputation beyond repute dynamoRockstarr has a reputation beyond repute dynamoRockstarr has a reputation beyond repute dynamoRockstarr has a reputation beyond repute dynamoRockstarr has a reputation beyond repute dynamoRockstarr has a reputation beyond repute

well we cant go around the forums talkin about superstitions lol. Lets stop it completely. it makes us sound incredibly old. i can picutr us all walking around hunched over heads down with arms folded and once were hear or see the words Venus and yellow, we lose our wits. lol.

Planet Venus

[SouthSide, Duval, Keys, Stephens]
dynamoRockstarr is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 07:38 PM   #7
country flag olympus28

olympus28 has much to be proud of olympus28 has much to be proud of olympus28 has much to be proud of olympus28 has much to be proud of olympus28 has much to be proud of olympus28 has much to be proud of olympus28 has much to be proud of olympus28 has much to be proud of olympus28 has much to be proud of olympus28 has much to be proud of olympus28 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepInDaBigCITY View Post
God i remember those cursed "Venus has a chance to be number X" threads popping up every week last year, and then she would lose immediately ...
So true.
olympus28 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 09:58 PM   #8
country flag vwfan

vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute

win the Australian Open beating Serena and Kim/Justine in the process and who cares if she is 9999!

Serena Williams |Ana Ivanovic| Na Li
vwfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 12:57 AM   #9
country flag Midnight_Robber

Midnight_Robber has a reputation beyond repute Midnight_Robber has a reputation beyond repute Midnight_Robber has a reputation beyond repute Midnight_Robber has a reputation beyond repute Midnight_Robber has a reputation beyond repute Midnight_Robber has a reputation beyond repute Midnight_Robber has a reputation beyond repute Midnight_Robber has a reputation beyond repute Midnight_Robber has a reputation beyond repute Midnight_Robber has a reputation beyond repute Midnight_Robber has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepInDaBigCITY View Post
Yeah. I used to call them jinx threads and I hated how they relished and relied on other players falling short and slipping down the rankings rather than Venus doing well and actually winning. Karma, and all that stuff...

(I don't buy into the yellow jinx, but I strongly suspect that the ESPN jinx is real... )
Midnight_Robber is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 07:23 PM   #10
country flag kwilliams

kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute

Well, there was a ranking thread for quite a while and it never did her any harm. I think it was still around during her 2008 successes.

Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 01:00 AM   #11
country flag kwilliams

JJ's out now. Things are looking good.

Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 01:09 AM   #12
country flag Uranium
Dubai Love

Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute

Well she's #5 for after Melbourne, unless Vika does something big and Venus loses early, they have a 500 point gap.

Uranium is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 03:28 PM   #13
country flag kwilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwfan View Post
win the Australian Open beating Serena and Kim/Justine in the process and who cares if she is 9999!
I'd love the same but if she doesn't win, I'd be at least a little consoled by a rise in the rankings.

Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 03:54 PM   #14
VishaalMaria

VishaalMaria has a reputation beyond repute VishaalMaria has a reputation beyond repute VishaalMaria has a reputation beyond repute VishaalMaria has a reputation beyond repute VishaalMaria has a reputation beyond repute VishaalMaria has a reputation beyond repute VishaalMaria has a reputation beyond repute VishaalMaria has a reputation beyond repute VishaalMaria has a reputation beyond repute VishaalMaria has a reputation beyond repute VishaalMaria has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'll be somewhat happy if Venus rises up the rankings because she's earning points as opposed to someone above her not being able to defend points.
Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 04:11 PM   #15
country flag vwfan

vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute

needs to get to final or win probably to overtake kuzzie and caro, assuming they both lose in the QF.

Serena Williams |Ana Ivanovic| Na Li
vwfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote