Viktoriya Kutuzova: Most possibly, I will come back in the new season in Australia
These days a famous Ukrainian player Viktoriya Kutuzova is being in Kharkiv. Former WTA No. 76 is preparing for her comeback to the professional tour. She is practicing in “Tetra” Tennis Club. Viktoriya hasn’t played professional tournaments since March 2010. A 22-year-old tennis player has told about why she was absent for so long time, about her nearest plans and about changes in her private life in exclusive interview to Ukrainian Tennis Portal.
- Viktoriya, why didn’t you play tournaments for so long time?
- I had a back injury. I had been suffering from this problem for two years. I didn’t have an opportunity to recover earlier, because I was afraid to lose positions in ranking. But in spring at the tournament in Indian Wells I realized that I had to make a break and to cure the injury.
- Did doctors make a forecast that you needed half of a year to cure the injury?
- Yes, they said that I needed at least six months to recover. If I made a smaller break, there was no guarantee I would recover completely. That’s why I made a decision to cure my injury and froze the ranking.
- Why do you prepare in Kharkiv for your comeback?
- I’ve heard that in Kharkiv there are very good conditions for preparation. That’s why I decided to check these words on my own experience. I like everything here. Everything is in the same place: coaches, sparring, fitness-center, tennis courts. Thanks to Mr. Yuriy Sapronov’s tennis centers I was provided perfect conditions for recovery and professional growth.
- You had a long period of free time. You had an opportunity to pay attention to something else, except tennis…
- Yes. I met with my boyfriend, started cooking. I started doing things which are common for girls of my age. I started living on my own. First four months I just had a rest. Then I started coming back to sport, started jogging, went to the gym, played tennis a bit, helped my younger sisters on trainings.
- Tell us, how did you meet your boyfriend?
-His name is Vlad. He is from Odessa. We have known each other for ages, but started communicating closer only about half of a year ago. We have been living together for 6 months.
- Does your younger sister play tennis?
- She is learning in school and plays tennis a bit. When I had time I decided to work with her as a coach. Unfortunately, she has problems of working under loads and she doesn’t like tennis too much. Maybe, she will come through it. We’ll see.
- Viktoriya, who is your coach at the moment?
- At the moment I don’t have a coach.
- And with whom does your father work?
- He works with Alexandr Kazakov, a young boy (1991 year of birth). They have already started playing Futures tournaments. Alexandr didn’t play in the junior tour and started his way from adults. But my father thinks that the junior tour is not so important for boys, as for girls.
- Have you already visited some places of interest Kharkiv?
- I have only little time after practices, but we have already seen something. We’ve been in “Karavan” trading center, were going to visit the zoo, but the weather wasn’t fine. Actually, I got out of big loads and I’m getting tired fast. Often I have lots of plans for the evening, but when I come home, decide to stay and relax.
- When are you going to play at tournaments?
- I was going to play two tournaments in France, but they were moved from November to October. And I’m not yet ready to play at a high level. I don’t want to force my comeback, because I don’t want to make worse for myself and for my tennis career. Most possibly, I will come back in the new season in Australia.
- Viktoriya, do you look at young generation of Ukrainian players?
- I know girls, who are being helped by Mr. Yuriy Sapronov: Elina Svitolina and Alyona Sotnikova. We even had a training together. Generally, I’m satisfied. We will have a good substitution in the future.