Donna Vekic - Page 92 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old May 18th, 2012, 11:40 AM   #1366
country flag Hele.

Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Donna Vekic

Hele. is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 18th, 2012, 08:22 PM   #1367
country flag PrimaDonna

PrimaDonna is a name known to all PrimaDonna is a name known to all PrimaDonna is a name known to all PrimaDonna is a name known to all PrimaDonna is a name known to all PrimaDonna is a name known to all PrimaDonna is a name known to all PrimaDonna is a name known to all PrimaDonna is a name known to all PrimaDonna is a name known to all PrimaDonna is a name known to all

It's lovely to see how much she keeps advancing when compared to other juniors.

I sincerely think this is due to the fact that she is playing with "big" girls and not bothering with easier junior tournaments where she'd come and crush 5 opponents with 10-0 set ratio.

GL in semis!
PrimaDonna is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 18th, 2012, 08:42 PM   #1368
country flag networthy

networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimaDonna View Post
It's lovely to see how much she keeps advancing when compared to other juniors.
After today's win, Donna will be ranked ~255

I do think Donna is guilty of tournament "whoring" (Lagos 2x, Bangalore, Namangan, Fergana). As a fan of hers, though, I don't mind it one bit: I love to watch her ranking rise

But let me explain about the whoring part:

Even at those weak events she has beaten plenty of top 300 players, so it's clear she belongs there. If she had played stronger $25Ks, it just would have taken her ranking longer to catch up because she's limited to so few tournaments. That means her ranking is probably inflated compared to other top juniors but not to the rest of the pros, which is what's important.
networthy is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 19th, 2012, 03:06 AM   #1369
BlueTrees

BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute

I don't mind the tournament "whoring" either. Would be nice to see her Top 200 by the end of the year but it is possible? How many tournaments does she have left?
Old May 19th, 2012, 08:42 AM   #1370
country flag juan pablo

juan pablo is a name known to all juan pablo is a name known to all juan pablo is a name known to all juan pablo is a name known to all juan pablo is a name known to all juan pablo is a name known to all juan pablo is a name known to all juan pablo is a name known to all juan pablo is a name known to all juan pablo is a name known to all juan pablo is a name known to all

She won today.
After birthday (june) she can play two tournaments more that year before.
juan pablo is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 19th, 2012, 10:23 AM   #1371
country flag networthy

networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future

Donna beat the world #210 in straight sets

Her ranking will go up to around #250. And still so young!
Old May 19th, 2012, 10:46 AM   #1372
country flag PrimaDonna

PrimaDonna is a name known to all PrimaDonna is a name known to all PrimaDonna is a name known to all PrimaDonna is a name known to all PrimaDonna is a name known to all PrimaDonna is a name known to all PrimaDonna is a name known to all PrimaDonna is a name known to all PrimaDonna is a name known to all PrimaDonna is a name known to all PrimaDonna is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by networthy View Post
After today's win, Donna will be ranked ~255

I do think Donna is guilty of tournament "whoring" (Lagos 2x, Bangalore, Namangan, Fergana). As a fan of hers, though, I don't mind it one bit: I love to watch her ranking rise

But let me explain about the whoring part:

Even at those weak events she has beaten plenty of top 300 players, so it's clear she belongs there. If she had played stronger $25Ks, it just would have taken her ranking longer to catch up because she's limited to so few tournaments. That means her ranking is probably inflated compared to other top juniors but not to the rest of the pros, which is what's important.
I agree with you and i think her rank atm is pretty realistic. Just, at the strongest 25k's (or 50k's) she would need maybe 15 and not 10 tournaments to get to where she is, and she simply does not have that luxury since she is limited in number of tournaments.

We have to remember that just last year she was practically playing only juniors and 10k's, so no one can say she stayed on the same level. I pretty much expect her to start participating in a few 50k's in the next one year.
PrimaDonna is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 19th, 2012, 11:11 AM   #1373
country flag ma re

ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTrees View Post
How many tournaments does she have left?
From June 28th this year to the same date of 2013 she is allowed to enter a total of 12 professional tournaments plus Fed cup.

On the subject of her tournament selection I think it's a wise strategy considering the circumstances. But we won't know how smart it really was until about this time next year (or a few months afterwards).

I say this because, if her plan for 2012 is top 200 (and she did state that openly), her plan for next year, assuming everything goes according to plan, will probably be to reacch #100 by the year end. And that is why I think her true potential will be much more evident next year instead of this. For the reminder of 2012 she can keep entering weak events and climb the ranks safely that way, but this alone won't be enough to advnace considerably further past top 150.

So, to conclude, I expect the rest of the year to be exciting, but we'll learn a lot more about Donna's true potential in 2013.

Keep on winning girl!

Last edited by ma re : May 19th, 2012 at 11:26 AM.
ma re is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 19th, 2012, 11:21 AM   #1374
BlueTrees

BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the explanation. She plays Nadiya Kichenok in the final. She's the favourite so hopefully she can get her second $25K title. It'd be nice for her to win this as she tends to lose a lot of finals.
Old May 19th, 2012, 12:50 PM   #1375
country flag Hele.

Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute

Well, but Donna beat many good and better than her ranked players!
Good luck in final Donna!
Hele. is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 20th, 2012, 07:26 AM   #1376
country flag tennismaster8820
Sprem believer! :shrug:

tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute

Donna Vekic def. Nadya Kichenok 62 62

Congrats for the title!
Very easy convincing score!

Now back to juniors and clay!
tennismaster8820 is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 20th, 2012, 07:33 AM   #1377
country flag ma re

ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute

Yay This was sweet

Good luck in Paris mademoiselle
ma re is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 20th, 2012, 07:54 AM   #1378
country flag chingching

chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute

Well done Donna!!!!! She is surprising me every day. I hope she can do well in Paris, but cause she hates clay, I don't have high expectations. Would have to be one of the favourites for junior Wimbledon though, given her game. Vekic/Kontaveit= World Beating combo
chingching is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 20th, 2012, 10:49 AM   #1379
BlueTrees

So impressive! Her second $25,000 title. Top 250 now!
Old May 20th, 2012, 11:15 AM   #1380
country flag networthy

Donna will be around 235-240. Moving up the rankings so fast!
Closed Thread