Donna Vekic - Page 85 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2012, 06:58 AM   #1261
country flag ma re

ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Donna Vekic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chingching View Post
why??? If she wants to get ranking points, thats fine but if she just keeps playing these weaker tourneys, shes not going to develop. If she wasnts to play weaker tourneys, that great but play them at a higher level, like 50ks or 75s. Playing in Indonesia will get her nothing but ranking points. It is a smart move though if she wants to play GS qualies, as she needs this tournaments.
At her current level, playing 25k's still makes a lot of sense. If she were to win this one, she'd be around 270. If she were to win the one in Indonesia as well, she'd land at about 230. It's only after you've come to around 150 that 25k's don't really matter anymore, not even in terms of rankings (they push you a few spots in case of a title, but that's reeally not worth it).

So I'd say she's being smart by building her ranking this way. Sure, this strategy can't last forever, but why not make the most of it if she's in a position to do so.
ma re is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 20th, 2012, 08:45 AM   #1262
country flag PrimaDonna

PrimaDonna is a name known to all PrimaDonna is a name known to all PrimaDonna is a name known to all PrimaDonna is a name known to all PrimaDonna is a name known to all PrimaDonna is a name known to all PrimaDonna is a name known to all PrimaDonna is a name known to all PrimaDonna is a name known to all PrimaDonna is a name known to all PrimaDonna is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateusz2904 View Post
It looks really impressive. Isn't she the youngest player in Top 600 or more?
When it comes to Wimbledon qualies - I'd like to now how she is doing on grass.
Anyway, it looks like her teams know what they're doing.
Yes, Donna is the youngest in top 600 and there are only 4 players of her age (generation 1996.) in that group.
I'd say grass could suit her since she has a strong game (good serve, powerful forehand). I wouldn't be suprised if throughout her career clay proves to be her weakest and hard her strongest surface.

Ching you keep saying she only plays weaker tourneys... i think this is better for her at this point. Last year she played 10k's and then crossed over to 25k's. Who is to say she wont cross to 50k's within the next one year? Her career is developing just fine.

Also, note that since she is so young she has a LIMIT of number of tournaments she is allowed to play so she has to plan carefully as to where to participate. What is the point in going into 10 50k qualies and pass to 3 main draws at her age.

Last edited by PrimaDonna : Apr 20th, 2012 at 08:51 AM.
PrimaDonna is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 20th, 2012, 09:23 AM   #1263
country flag ma re

ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute

After this week, she is still entitled to enter 2 professional events until the day before her 16th birthday (i.e. June 27th) for a total of 10 in the past year. After that (between her 16th and 17th birthday) she can enter 12 pro events, and the year after that she can go for 16 tournaments in a year. So until she turns 17 she is very limited in the number of events she can enter.
Old Apr 20th, 2012, 10:17 AM   #1264
country flag croat123

croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute

(Q)Donna Vekic (CRO) d. (5)Veronika Kapshay (UKR) 64 64
Pathetic...8 games lost
Old Apr 20th, 2012, 10:27 AM   #1265
country flag tennismaster8820
Sprem believer! :shrug:

tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute

Great win for Donna again!
Good luck in the final!

They talk about Donna on Eurosport when her coach comes there to commentate meatches, then he talks how he works with Donna.
It happened during Indian Wells or Miami, I forgot which tournament exactly.
They don't talk about her all the time for sure.
tennismaster8820 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 20th, 2012, 10:42 AM   #1266
country flag ma re

Quote:
Originally Posted by croat123 View Post
(Q)Donna Vekic (CRO) d. (5)Veronika Kapshay (UKR) 64 64
Pathetic...8 games lost
My thoughts exactly...

Jokes aside, this is fantastic. For the title she'll face the winner of Buryachok/Puchkova, so either the 6th or 2nd seed. Puchkova is very convincing this week but, unlike Buryachok or Donna, she didn't have to face a single seeded player this whole week. Of course, being former #32, she would be a really big test for Donna, and somehow I'd really like to see this match-up. It would be a very valuable experience for our girl. Buryachok, on the other hand, is someone who spent most of her career outside of top 200 and prefers playing on clay, so she might be a far easier opponent. But Donna herself often says that she prefers challenge, so let's hope she'll get to play Puchkova

Amazing week so far, let's make it even better tomorrow! Ajmo Donna
Old Apr 20th, 2012, 10:59 AM   #1267
country flag volume3d

volume3d is a splendid one to behold volume3d is a splendid one to behold volume3d is a splendid one to behold volume3d is a splendid one to behold volume3d is a splendid one to behold volume3d is a splendid one to behold volume3d is a splendid one to behold volume3d is a splendid one to behold volume3d is a splendid one to behold volume3d is a splendid one to behold volume3d is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma re View Post
After this week, she is still entitled to enter 2 professional events until the day before her 16th birthday (i.e. June 27th) for a total of 10 in the past year. After that (between her 16th and 17th birthday) she can enter 12 pro events, and the year after that she can go for 16 tournaments in a year. So until she turns 17 she is very limited in the number of events she can enter.
I hate these rules ! so she can play only 2 bigger events in next 70 days?
Is she going to play junior RG ?

well gone for this match in SF

Tipping2010: Wimbledon&US Open winner, Prague F, Cincinnati& Tashkent SF

Tipping2011: Sydney&Stuttgart F
volume3d is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 20th, 2012, 11:17 AM   #1268
country flag PrimaDonna

PrimaDonna is a name known to all PrimaDonna is a name known to all PrimaDonna is a name known to all PrimaDonna is a name known to all PrimaDonna is a name known to all PrimaDonna is a name known to all PrimaDonna is a name known to all PrimaDonna is a name known to all PrimaDonna is a name known to all PrimaDonna is a name known to all PrimaDonna is a name known to all

She plays Puchkova in the final.

And as far as junior RG goes, i'm pretty sure she will play it. Probably in next few months her schedule will be 2 junior grandslams, 2 25k's and maybe 1 more strong junior tournament (G1)
PrimaDonna is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 20th, 2012, 12:08 PM   #1269
country flag ma re

Quote:
Originally Posted by volume3d View Post
I hate these rules ! so she can play only 2 bigger events in next 70 days?

Not bigger, professional. How strong they are is not the issue.

Is she going to play junior RG ?

Entry list is not out yet, but I'd say she probably will. Although given the fact that both, this week's and her next tournament in Indonesia are on hard, it wouldn't surprise me if she would skip clay altogether. After last year's RG she played just two claycourt events, one G1 and one GA (Orange Bowl) junior tournament. All we can do is wait and see.
Have to write something outside the quote so...
Old Apr 20th, 2012, 01:14 PM   #1270
country flag croat123

croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute

we have such a great young crop of players now
Old Apr 20th, 2012, 01:39 PM   #1271
country flag Pops Maellard
Quiche

Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know if this has been posted before and I just must .

Pops Maellard is online now View My Blog!  
Old Apr 20th, 2012, 01:40 PM   #1272
country flag ma re

Quote:
Originally Posted by croat123 View Post
we have such a great young crop of players now
Well it was about freakin' time. One day, Donna might be the first Croatian player to win a WTA tournament in...364 years
Old Apr 20th, 2012, 02:57 PM   #1273
country flag Hele.

Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute

Hele. is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 20th, 2012, 02:58 PM   #1274
country flag Hele.

Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma re View Post
Well it was about freakin' time. One day, Donna might be the first Croatian player to win a WTA tournament in...364 years
Yea, finally! But I think Martic has potential to win it before Donna!
Hele. is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 20th, 2012, 05:13 PM   #1275
country flag networthy

networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future

By the way, for her age, Donna's recent W-L record in $25Ks is amazing: depending on tomorrow's match, it will be 18-3 or 17-4 in the last five events (Lagos I and II last year and Moscow, Bangalore and Namangan this year). The only wrinkle was her R1 loss to Marozava (#816 ) in Moscow.
networthy is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread