Donna Vekic - Page 55 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 02:49 PM   #811
country flag ma re

ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Donna Vekic

Quote:
Originally Posted by croat123 View Post
still a great week. the final score was pretty close, 4 and 3. what's her ranking potential from next week's tournament?
A title next week could get her as high as approx. #360 (give or take a few spots).
ma re is online now View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 02:49 PM   #812
country flag okramb

okramb is a splendid one to behold okramb is a splendid one to behold okramb is a splendid one to behold okramb is a splendid one to behold okramb is a splendid one to behold okramb is a splendid one to behold okramb is a splendid one to behold okramb is a splendid one to behold okramb is a splendid one to behold okramb is a splendid one to behold okramb is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma re View Post
As a finalist of the tournament of the same category played the week before, she is automatically given a "special exempt status" (otherwise known as SE), which guarantees her a place in the main draw.

And what to say about Donna's result this week. She certainly had a great event there in Lagos but I have to admit that I am a bit bummed about the loss in the finals (go ahead, crucify me for saying it).

I am very much aware that her results are great for someone her age, but with this loss her w-l record in the finals goes to a not so pretty 1-3. I would hate to see her develop that choking mentality or become a player that falls down under the pressure of winning a title after cleaning the path for the eventual champion by defeating the top seeds.

Of the current top 10, four girls have a negative ratio in the finals; Zvonareva (12-18), Stosur (3-10), Bartoli (7-9) and Petkovic (2-3) - and not one of them can be described as a mentally tough player. Of course it's early to tell and time will reveal what will become of Donna, but finals are the real chances, a time to tune in all your focus and grab a whole lot of points with just one win.

Too bad she couldn't have done better today, let's hope she'll do another nice result next week. Good luck
I can see your point but it's important that she didn't lose from player against she was the favorite.Svitolina was #1 junior and she is 300 places better ranked.

I think that mentally weak players are losing finals against players which they would beat in R1 or R2 but when it comes to win in the final they are frozen.I think that this was not the case.Svitolina is currently better player and that's all.Next year maybe she will not be.

I don't know Donna personally but what I see form media I have impression that she is a fighter and that she is arrogant in good sense of that word.
okramb is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 03:08 PM   #813
country flag Hele.

Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome week for Donna. If someone offered to her (and us) final before start of tournament I think we would accept without a second of thinking.
If she continues like this, I think she can play RG qualies next year.
Hele. is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 03:11 PM   #814
country flag okramb

okramb is a splendid one to behold okramb is a splendid one to behold okramb is a splendid one to behold okramb is a splendid one to behold okramb is a splendid one to behold okramb is a splendid one to behold okramb is a splendid one to behold okramb is a splendid one to behold okramb is a splendid one to behold okramb is a splendid one to behold okramb is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hele. View Post
Awesome week for Donna. If someone offered to her (and us) final before start of tournament I think we would accept without a second of thinking.
I would take QF if someone asked me
Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 03:21 PM   #815
country flag tennismaster8820
Sprem believer! :shrug:

tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma re View Post
I am very much aware that her results are great for someone her age, but with this loss her w-l record in the finals goes to a not so pretty 1-3. I would hate to see her develop that choking mentality or become a player that falls down under the pressure of winning a title after cleaning the path for the eventual champion by defeating the top seeds.

Of the current top 10, four girls have a negative ratio in the finals; Zvonareva (12-18), Stosur (3-10), Bartoli (7-9) and Petkovic (2-3) - and not one of them can be described as a mentally tough player. Of course it's early to tell and time will reveal what will become of Donna, but finals are the real chances, a time to tune in all your focus and grab a whole lot of points with just one win.

Too bad she couldn't have done better today, let's hope she'll do another nice result next week. Good luck
Well you are jus dissapointed as fan that she lost, nothing more to worry here.
It's not her "fault" she gets to finals wihout being favorite in them.
It would be worrying if she would lose to worse players there, but this is fine!
We'll see what the future brings, so far it is amazing!

Congrats Donna!

Last edited by tennismaster8820 : Oct 23rd, 2011 at 05:05 PM.
tennismaster8820 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 03:34 PM   #816
country flag DonnaVFan

DonnaVFan is an unknown quantity at this point

I translated a lot of her newspaper articles and in all of them she says she trains in london with David Felgate and spends very little time at home.

She did amazing in this tournament, 25k final for a 15 year old girl is fantastic and i think the last post is a bit harsh !
DonnaVFan is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 07:10 PM   #817
country flag Hele.

Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute

MD for next week Lagos is already out and this time Donna wasn't so "lucky" with draw like this week. But it doesn't mean anything, because she beat first seed this week so she can do it again!

Her quarter of the draw.

(1)Nina Bratchikova (RUS) v (wc)Fatimah Abinu (NGR)
Donna Vekic (CRO) v (Q)Biola Akewula (NGR)
(Q)Alexandra Riley (USA) v (Q)Gopika Kapoor (IND)
(6)Melanie Klaffner (AUT) v Danka Kovinic (MNE)
Hele. is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 07:23 PM   #818
country flag okramb

Can you put the link from where did you see this draw?
Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 07:29 PM   #819
country flag okramb

It' s OK i find out myself....

Not so bad draw, second round is pretty much secured, beyond that everything is bonus but new 8 points would not be bad after all.
Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 09:03 PM   #820
country flag networthy

networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future

Too bad about likely playing Bratchikova again in R2. But, like okramb said ^, Donna is pretty much guaranteed 8 points for the week, which wouldn't be a disaster. It'll take her from ~490 to ~455 in the rankings.
networthy is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 10:13 PM   #821
country flag croat123

croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute

good opener. from then on it's tough, but she beat both seeded players last week so she's got a shot
Old Oct 24th, 2011, 03:40 AM   #822
country flag networthy

networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future

New CH ranking for Donna this week: from 640 to 638.

Although that's nothing compared to what it'll be next week!
networthy is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 24th, 2011, 06:47 AM   #823
country flag ma re

ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hele. View Post
Well, that would be sensational, but I wouldn't put my money on it. Cut-off for RG is usually around #220, and the person ranked at that place currently has about 260 points - Donna will, with Lagos I points included, have 71; even a win at Lagos II would "only" get her to 121 so still not even half way there in terms of points. Not to mention that the higher she goes, the tougher the progress and every win brings less and less forward movement. Also, she has age restrictions to work with, which is another factor to consider.

All in all, I wouldn't count on any slam qualies next year, because I remember articles which stated that Felgate is very careful with his decision making regarding Donna. Her father suggested junior slams last year and Felgate said it was too soon. So I'd be perfectly happy to see her entering qualies in Melbourne 2013, or maybe New York 2012, but anything sooner is just not necessary for someone her age.
ma re is online now View My Blog!  
Old Oct 24th, 2011, 08:15 AM   #824
country flag okramb

Yes, I don't see a point in playing GS Q's so soon...From 1 st January 2012- do players born in 1993 play junior tournaments any more and are they erased from the junior rank table?
Old Oct 24th, 2011, 10:31 AM   #825
country flag ivananda

ivananda is a name known to all ivananda is a name known to all ivananda is a name known to all ivananda is a name known to all ivananda is a name known to all ivananda is a name known to all ivananda is a name known to all ivananda is a name known to all ivananda is a name known to all ivananda is a name known to all ivananda is a name known to all

Donna had 3:1,4:2 in first set and 3:1 in second set agains Svitolina in finals...So, it was very close. I hope that she will have another opportunity this week.
ivananda is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread