Donna Vekic - Page 184 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2012, 06:52 PM   #2746
country flag networthy

networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future
Re: Donna Vekic

Disappointing loss, and hope it's not a serious injury. For what it's worth, none of the top four seeds made the SF.
networthy is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 9th, 2012, 09:33 PM   #2747
country flag petar_pan

petar_pan is a glorious beacon of light petar_pan is a glorious beacon of light petar_pan is a glorious beacon of light petar_pan is a glorious beacon of light petar_pan is a glorious beacon of light petar_pan is a glorious beacon of light petar_pan is a glorious beacon of light petar_pan is a glorious beacon of light petar_pan is a glorious beacon of light petar_pan is a glorious beacon of light petar_pan is a glorious beacon of light

Will she play anything untill the end of the season or before AO and what?
petar_pan is offline View My Blog!  
Old Nov 10th, 2012, 07:38 AM   #2748
country flag ma re

ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute

Well, she said it's her last match of 2012, and as for next year, we can't know anything this soon as quali draw cut-offs for week 1 won't be out for about a month. There is one ITF for which I wouldn't be surprised if Donna would've chose to enter it, Quanzhou 50k on the week of January 7th, but the entry deadline for that one is December 20th so a long way to go. There's also an International series event in Shenzhen on the week of January 1st, where it would be reasonable to expect a relatively low last direct acceptance (as there are two more WTA's being played the same week in AUS/NZL), but as I said, it's all too early to tell.
ma re is offline View My Blog!  
Old Nov 10th, 2012, 08:15 AM   #2749
country flag petar_pan

petar_pan is a glorious beacon of light petar_pan is a glorious beacon of light petar_pan is a glorious beacon of light petar_pan is a glorious beacon of light petar_pan is a glorious beacon of light petar_pan is a glorious beacon of light petar_pan is a glorious beacon of light petar_pan is a glorious beacon of light petar_pan is a glorious beacon of light petar_pan is a glorious beacon of light petar_pan is a glorious beacon of light

Thank you. What will be her ranking in Monday?
Old Nov 10th, 2012, 08:40 AM   #2750
country flag Dan_Doe

Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by petar_pan View Post
Thank you. What will be her ranking in Monday?
109 or 110
I don't remember how many points are awarded for Pune, but I think Petkovic will surpass her if she wins it.
Dan_Doe is offline View My Blog!  
Old Nov 10th, 2012, 09:04 AM   #2751
country flag ma re

ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute

Btw, this year the top seed of AO qualies was Vesna Dolonc, who was at #112 at the time...
Old Nov 10th, 2012, 09:05 AM   #2752
BlueTrees

BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute

She virtually has no points to defend until April so a good opportunity to gain points early next year, will almost definitely break Top 100 by then. Obviously a first round win in Melbourne will easily do it. Hopefully she gives Indian Wells and Miami qualifying a crack, especially seeing as she can use up her merited increases there. I hope her team schedules smartly...

And yeah if Petkovic wins Pune she'll push Donna down to #110.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma re View Post
Btw, this year the top seed of AO qualies was Vesna Dolonc, who was at #112 at the time...
I'm pretty sure Donna will get direct entry into the maindraw. The Top 108 get in automatically, Donna will be around #110 (assuming Petkovic wins Pune) when the cutoff is made. When you have 108 players almost always there's around three/four who withdraw. The only players who I think would use their protected ranking to get in are Dokic and Dulgheru. Petkovic probably won't need it and Kleybanova I'm pretty sure is planning on slowly coming back at ITFs.

Anyway, cutoff deadline for maindraw is 3rd December so we should have a pretty good idea by then. Guess it depends on whether or not players withdraw, if nobody withdraws then it's pretty much a done deal that she's playing qualifying. Either way it's completely out of her control.

It's kind of a dilemma though because in a way playing qualifying would be better, if she's playing well it's a fairly easy 60 points, then on top of that she gets more if she wins in the maindraw. But if she gets direct entry and draws a top player, she'll most likely lose and she'll hardly gets any points

Last edited by BlueTrees : Nov 10th, 2012 at 09:29 AM.
BlueTrees is offline View My Blog!  
Old Nov 10th, 2012, 09:35 AM   #2753
country flag petar_pan

Yeah, we will see what will happen. Hopefully injured players will withdraw. However, its a win win situation for 16 year old girl. She can be more than happy that she can play qualise, because where are others of her age? There is no one in top 500.
One more question please: what do you think guys she will achieve in her career? I think she will make top 20-30. What do you think?
Old Nov 10th, 2012, 09:54 AM   #2754
country flag ma re

Quote:
One more question please: what do you think guys she will achieve in her career? I think she will make top 20-30. What do you think?
Ah, the question of all question. One which we always ask when there's a new player coming up the rankings, but one no one knows the answer to and one which should honestly be avoided, especially when it comes to someone so young.

But let's play the game anyway. Honestly, since by now she's achieved more than any other of our girls by the same age in the past 15 years, I expect her at least in top 30 one day, and I have a pretty strong feeling that she'll be top 20. Will she go higher than that depends on many, many factors.

First, there's still a lot of physical development to go through in the coming years.

Second, a player doesn't really mature mentally and start "thinking of him/herself" like a pro until around 19-20 y.o.

Third, tennis is not rulled by kids like it was 20 years ago, nowdays it's a much more physically demanding sport so players rarely reach top 10 before the age of 20 and rarely win majors before they are 22-23.

Fourth, you can never predict injuries which can easily ruin the whole career.

And so on. Basically, indicators that someone could go really far are just that - indicators of potential and possibility. But to turn potential into reality it takes a lot of work, patience, persistance, beliefe and a little bit of luck.
Old Nov 10th, 2012, 10:03 AM   #2755
country flag Dan_Doe

Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future

Quote:
Yeah, we will see what will happen. Hopefully injured players will withdraw. However, its a win win situation for 16 year old girl. She can be more than happy that she can play qualise, because where are others of her age? There is no one in top 500.
If by 'at her age' you mean being 16, there are 2 others in top 500 - Ashleigh Barty at #183 and Mayo Hibi at #395, plus Taylor Townsend, who'll be there in no time.
However, the best ranked player who's younger than Donna is Sara Sorribes Tormo, 4 months younger and #509 now.

By the rate she's progressing, I'd say anything but a regular top 10 would be disappointing for me. If we take out potential injuries or other stuff like that. I'm going to support her whatever happens though.
Old Nov 10th, 2012, 10:07 AM   #2756
BlueTrees

BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm fairly certain she's going to be at least Top 30, probably Top 20. Beyond that is really hard to predict to be honest. I just hope she doesn't go the Larcher de Brito route, who by Donna's age was already in the Top 100 but now is almost 20 years old and ranked lower than Donna

There's always a possibility that things can go horribly wrong, either due to too much pressure or her getting overhyped. But so far she's making all the right steps. From the matches I've seen of hers I definitely think she has what it takes.
BlueTrees is offline View My Blog!  
Old Nov 10th, 2012, 10:12 AM   #2757
country flag ma re

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTrees View Post
I just hope she doesn't go the Larcher de Brito route
Couldn't agree more - that one turned into a sad story.

Edit: I prefer to ask the "what do you expect from next season" much more...for Donna, I'd be happy with top 70.

Last edited by ma re : Nov 10th, 2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old Nov 10th, 2012, 10:30 AM   #2758
country flag Dan_Doe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma re View Post
Edit: I prefer to ask the "what do you expect from next season" much more...for Donna, I'd be happy with top 70.
You guys were happy with a top 200 ranking by now one year ago, so why not hoping for more this time..?

Donna needs good runs in the first months of 2013, 'cause she has lots of points to defend afterwards If she could get a top 70 ranking in a year's time I'd be more than happy.
Old Nov 10th, 2012, 11:06 AM   #2759
country flag chingching

chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute

First Top 100. I know that it is almost confirmed but unless she plays a weak tournament before Bangalore, it could start to slip away from her. I am sorry BlueTrees but Donna probably won't play Indian Wells/Miami as she only gets 4 Merited Increases and she will be using them for GS
BTW, what happens if a player is Top 10 but they can't play all the PMs and GS as they are too young
chingching is offline View My Blog!  
Old Nov 10th, 2012, 11:16 AM   #2760
country flag JarkaFish
Multiform

JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future

Getting into the top 100 at 16 will already be a huge accomplishment in this era, especially considering she'll be a full two years younger than the two youngest chicks in the top 100 (Robson & Beck).
JarkaFish is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread