2013 in Review: Agnieszka Radwanska - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 3rd, 2013, 11:33 AM   #1
country flag DanLovesWTA

DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute
2013 in Review: Agnieszka Radwanska

2013 in Review: Agnieszka Radwanska

Now that the 2013 tennis season is officially in the books, we'll be looking back at the seasons of some of the game's most compelling players.

Record: 56-19

Titles: Auckland, Sydney, Seoul

Highlights: Reached quarterfinals or better in three of four Slams, won three titles in four finals, hit the most fantastic shot of 2013 in Miami

Lowlights: heartbreaking loss to Sabine Lisicki at Wimbledon, failed to reach U.S. Open quarterfinals (has never been past fourth round), lost 11 of 16 against the top 10 and all five against WTA No. 1s.

Unfortunately, Agnieszka Radwanska's 2013 campaign, as solid and as entertaining as it was, will probably be remembered more for what it might have been than what it actually was.

Radwanska was an impressive 56-19 for the season, including 3-1 in finals, but as the highest-seeded player remaining in a Wimbledon draw that had been blown wide open by the upsets of Serena Williams and Maria Sharapova and the injury default of Victoria Azarenka, Radwanska wasn't able to capitalize on what was considered by many the best chance she will ever have to capture a Grand Slam title.

She couldn't quell the ephemeral magic of Sabine Lisicki despite holding a 3-0 lead and all the momentum in the third set of their epic semifinal, and instead of a crowning achievement at the All England Club in 2013, Radwanska was dealt a humbling blow.

She would lose in heartbreaking fashion, and afterwards Radwanska was so dejected that she could barely shake hands with Lisicki at the net. Though many perceived it to indicate poor sportsmanship, Radwanska's chilly reaction to Lisicki's effusive joy was further proof that Radwanska was well aware of what had lay before her at Wimbledon. She had stumbled upon a golden chance to win the most prestigious tennis title in all the land, and just like that—in a flurry of miraculously clutch serves and winners by Lisicki—it had vanished into the Wimbledon topsoil. At the time, as disappointed as she was, who could blame her for not wanting to be a part of Lisicki's celebration?

“Should I just be there and dance?” Radwanska quipped afterwards, when asked in press about the incident. “What could I do?”

But fear not, fans of unbridled creativity and old-school tennis quirk: Radwanska, who will turn 25 next March, may have more opportunities to win Grand Slam titles.Why shouldn't she, after all? An incredibly poised and fleet-footed pugilist who possesses remarkable touch and feel, the 24-year-old gives herself chances to win every tournament she enters with her underrated quickness, world-class defensive skills and sky-high tennis IQ. Though she is not known for her offensive prowess, one could certainly argue that she is the craftiest and most opportunistic player in the women's game at the moment.

But if she is going to improve on her past results, Radwanska will need to find ways to notch more victories against her elite peers. The World No. 5's 5-11 record against the top ten this season shows that the Krakow native is losing with regularity to the best players in the game. Most people think that Radwanska would benefit from adding pop to her serve, but statistics show that she was 8th on the WTA Tour in terms of service games won. She may not serve big, but she serves smart.

In reality, Radwanska might be able to improve her return game more than her serve game. She was not ranked among the WTA's top 10 in return games won—with quick hands, precise groundies and fast feet like hers, she could definitely do better.

But we'd be remiss if we didn't celebrate what Radwanska is rather than what she could be when looking at her season in review. Once again, she was one of the most entertaining players to watch (both on and off the court—see her appearance in ESPN's The Body Issue) because of her craftiness and tremendous feel for the ball. In an era of tennis where power is the most sought after commodity, that Radwanska can remain a fixture in the top five and consistently go deep in Grand Slams is a credit to her guile, athleticism and creativity.

There is true genius in Radwanska's game, and though she missed out on a golden opportunity to parlay that genius into a Wimbledon title in 2013, time is still on the side of Poland's No. 1
player.

http://www.tennisnow.com/News/2013-i...Radwanska.aspx
Sorana Cirstea,Jelena Jankovic,Samantha Stosur,Victoria Azarenka,Sabine Lisicki,Ana Ivanovic,Caroline Wozniacki,Na Li,Monica Niculescu,Petra Kvitova,Flavia Pennetta,Belinda Bencic,Irina-Camelia Begu,Lucie Safarova,Madison Keys,Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova, Donna Vekic,Angelique Kerber,Elina Svitolina,Agnieszka Radwanska,Venus Williams,Andrea Petkovic.
Elena Baltacha 1983-2014
Deserve my appreciation: Steffi Graf, Elena Dementieva, Justine Henin, Kim Clijsters.

Last edited by DanLovesWTA : Dec 3rd, 2013 at 01:17 PM.
DanLovesWTA is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 3rd, 2013, 12:47 PM   #2
country flag wtennisphan

wtennisphan has a brilliant future wtennisphan has a brilliant future wtennisphan has a brilliant future wtennisphan has a brilliant future wtennisphan has a brilliant future wtennisphan has a brilliant future wtennisphan has a brilliant future wtennisphan has a brilliant future wtennisphan has a brilliant future wtennisphan has a brilliant future wtennisphan has a brilliant future
Re: 2013 in Review: Agnieszka Radwanska

http://www.tennisnow.com/News/2013-i...Radwanska.aspx

I was about to congratulate your detailed work, but here's the link for the original author.
wtennisphan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2013, 01:28 PM   #3
country flag DanLovesWTA

DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtennisphan View Post

I was about to congratulate your detailed work, but here's the link for the original author.
It wasn't my intention to take credit for this review.
Sorana Cirstea,Jelena Jankovic,Samantha Stosur,Victoria Azarenka,Sabine Lisicki,Ana Ivanovic,Caroline Wozniacki,Na Li,Monica Niculescu,Petra Kvitova,Flavia Pennetta,Belinda Bencic,Irina-Camelia Begu,Lucie Safarova,Madison Keys,Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova, Donna Vekic,Angelique Kerber,Elina Svitolina,Agnieszka Radwanska,Venus Williams,Andrea Petkovic.
Elena Baltacha 1983-2014
Deserve my appreciation: Steffi Graf, Elena Dementieva, Justine Henin, Kim Clijsters.
Old Dec 3rd, 2013, 01:34 PM   #4
country flag Inger67

Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute

That Wimbledon SF

I truly do hope she wins a major because if she doesn't, she will never forget about that missed opportunity
Venus Williams • Urszula Radwanska • Lyudmyla Kichenok • Garbiñe Muguruza • Simona Halep • Agnieszka Radwanska • Kristina Mladenovic • Taylor Townsend • Ajla Tomljanovic • Caroline Wozniacki • Carla Suárez Navarro
TT Singles Current Ranking: #1 (CH Ranking: #1)
Titles(5): Cincinnati 2014, Wimbledon 2014, Marrakech 2014, Quebec City 2012, Cincinnati 2011
TT Doubles Current Ranking: #25 (CH Ranking: #8)
Titles(6): Cincinnati 2014, Bucharest 2014, Tokyo 2012 (w/New_balls_please), Stanford 2012, Carlsbad 2011, Osaka 2011 (w/rvugt)
Inger67 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2013, 01:41 PM   #5
country flag DanLovesWTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inger67 View Post
That Wimbledon SF

I truly do hope she wins a major because if she doesn't, she will never forget about that missed opportunity
She had a huge opportunity! She has to change a little bit her style in more agressive i belive, if she want's to surpassed players like Serena, Azarenka or even Sharapova on her peak.
Elena Baltacha 1983-2014
Old Dec 3rd, 2013, 02:05 PM   #6
country flag Pops Maellard
Hot Messes Need Love

Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute

Tennis is about seizing the opportunity. She has such a bad record against the elite (and even Petra) and they sure aren't all going to flop in each slam like Wimbledon this year which really was an anomaly. Wouldn't be surprised if a jackpot like that doesn't present itself again .

Maria
Venus
ANA
Petra
Pops Maellard is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2013, 03:05 PM   #7
country flag Alexander18

Alexander18 has a brilliant future Alexander18 has a brilliant future Alexander18 has a brilliant future Alexander18 has a brilliant future Alexander18 has a brilliant future Alexander18 has a brilliant future Alexander18 has a brilliant future Alexander18 has a brilliant future Alexander18 has a brilliant future Alexander18 has a brilliant future Alexander18 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanLovesWTA View Post
She would lose in heartbreaking fashion, and afterwards Radwanska was so dejected that she could barely shake hands with Lisicki at the net. Though many perceived it to indicate poor sportsmanship, Radwanska's chilly reaction to Lisicki's effusive joy was further proof that Radwanska was well aware of what had lay before her at Wimbledon. She had stumbled upon a golden chance to win the most prestigious tennis title in all the land, and just like that—in a flurry of miraculously clutch serves and winners by Lisicki—it had vanished into the Wimbledon topsoil. At the time, as disappointed as she was, who could blame her for not wanting to be a part of Lisicki's celebration?

“Should I just be there and dance?” Radwanska quipped afterwards, when asked in press about the incident. “What could I do?”
It was poor sportsmanship no matter the stakes. This Wimbledon tournament was also a golden opportunity for Li, yet when she lost to Radwanska she kissed her at the net.

No, you don't have to dance Radwanska, but you can look at your opponent when you shake their hand.
Alexander18 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2013, 03:20 PM   #8
country flag Hugues Daniel
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute

To me, that Wimbledon SF wasn't a lowlight, since it was a great match. It would have been a lowlight if she had been defeated in two straight sets, maybe. The fact Aga thought (or that we thought) she should have won just because she was better ranked, doesn't make it a lowlight. That is only a view of the mind. I also like how the "ephemeral magic" of Lisicki is underrated. I mean, she defeated Rena two rounds before. Looks like it's hard for many people to admit that Lisicki could play that well. I guess I should just laugh.

So, we have a new kind of player with Lisicki: the fluke master, the ephemeral magician.

(one may have to watch again how she defeated Venus in Beijing to realize she owns some "basics" ).
Hugues Daniel is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2013, 03:45 PM   #9
JJ Style!

JJ Style! has much to be proud of JJ Style! has much to be proud of JJ Style! has much to be proud of JJ Style! has much to be proud of JJ Style! has much to be proud of JJ Style! has much to be proud of JJ Style! has much to be proud of JJ Style! has much to be proud of JJ Style! has much to be proud of JJ Style! has much to be proud of JJ Style! has much to be proud of

Her season was VERY similar to Dementieva 09. Starts the year on fire, then fizzles out, loses a close Wimbly semi, and then finishes at # 5.
JJ Style! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2013, 03:52 PM   #10
country flag danieln1
VIP and The Cheesecake Factory

danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute

It's just painful to remember her losing her best chance to win Wimbledon.

Ivanovic - Görges - Agnieszka - Li - Woz

Venus - Kvitova - Putintseva - Golden Flowers - Stosur - Stephens

that is so disrespectful.... so disrespectful!
danieln1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2013, 04:02 PM   #11
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by @danieln1 View Post
It's just painful to remember her losing her best chance to win Wimbledon.
Her best chance to win Wimbledon so far has been her 2012 final.
Old Dec 3rd, 2013, 04:17 PM   #12
country flag Inger67

Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugues Daniel View Post
Her best chance to win Wimbledon so far has been her 2012 final.
Not true

I know that you're trying to say it was because she was closer literally --> 1 set. Whereas this year she was 2 and a half sets away. However, winning that SF in Wimbledon she would've played Marion, whom she had never lost to. I wouldn't so it would've been 100% sure she would've beat Marion, but her chances were certainly higher than winning a second set against Serena.
Venus Williams • Urszula Radwanska • Lyudmyla Kichenok • Garbiñe Muguruza • Simona Halep • Agnieszka Radwanska • Kristina Mladenovic • Taylor Townsend • Ajla Tomljanovic • Caroline Wozniacki • Carla Suárez Navarro
TT Singles Current Ranking: #1 (CH Ranking: #1)
Titles(5): Cincinnati 2014, Wimbledon 2014, Marrakech 2014, Quebec City 2012, Cincinnati 2011
TT Doubles Current Ranking: #25 (CH Ranking: #8)
Titles(6): Cincinnati 2014, Bucharest 2014, Tokyo 2012 (w/New_balls_please), Stanford 2012, Carlsbad 2011, Osaka 2011 (w/rvugt)
Inger67 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2013, 04:17 PM   #13
country flag Skanna

Skanna is a splendid one to behold Skanna is a splendid one to behold Skanna is a splendid one to behold Skanna is a splendid one to behold Skanna is a splendid one to behold Skanna is a splendid one to behold Skanna is a splendid one to behold Skanna is a splendid one to behold Skanna is a splendid one to behold Skanna is a splendid one to behold Skanna is a splendid one to behold

Had Aga made the Wimby final, she would've most likely than not beaten Bartoli in the final & that would've been the highlight of her year and career.

I hope it didn't leave her gutted, she just needs to stay positive!
Skanna is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2013, 07:11 PM   #14
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inger67 View Post
Not true

I know that you're trying to say it was because she was closer literally --> 1 set. Whereas this year she was 2 and a half sets away. However, winning that SF in Wimbledon she would've played Marion, whom she had never lost to. I wouldn't so it would've been 100% sure she would've beat Marion, but her chances were certainly higher than winning a second set against Serena.
Given how Aga played both events, she was certainly closer in 2012. She was more fresh in 2012, too exhausted in 2013. With Serena out, it was a chance for anyone else to win that event, and the one who took that chance was Bartoli. Marion had the mental and physical shape to win it. Lisicki had a better chance against Bartoli than Radwanska to me. Had Lisicki won that second set in the final, things could have been different. Oh well, we'll see how both, Aga and Sabine, will do in the next! They're my two favorite players of the tour, so no problem with me!
Old Dec 4th, 2013, 03:40 AM   #15
country flag Aryman3

Aryman3 has a brilliant future Aryman3 has a brilliant future Aryman3 has a brilliant future Aryman3 has a brilliant future Aryman3 has a brilliant future Aryman3 has a brilliant future Aryman3 has a brilliant future Aryman3 has a brilliant future Aryman3 has a brilliant future Aryman3 has a brilliant future Aryman3 has a brilliant future

She'll do it her way and not just once
Give her time
Aryman3 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote