ITA tennis rankings published next week, what do the TF experts say - Page 12 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 25th, 2010, 06:11 AM   #166
country flag Amalgamate

Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future
Re: ITA tennis rankings published next week, what do the TF experts say

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantic View Post
gouci I LOVE you and form bitching each other
Gouci's "bitching" here was not referring to form. Are you referencing the actual post you quoted or just the historical form and gouci banter?
Amalgamate is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 25th, 2010, 06:23 AM   #167
country flag fantic

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

of course the latter they do that all the time, it's quite entertaining
"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
Nil admirari (never enthuse over things).
- Horace, Epistles
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 06:48 AM   #168
country flag mboyle

mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalgamate View Post
My brother went to Duke undergrad and Duke for grad school. I comprehend the Duke-Carolina rivalry. I just didn't think the college slurs used when drunkenly shit-talking at a basketball game was appropriate for the forum setting.

1. The whole point of my post was to tell you, look dude, UNC is better this year. Look no further than Florida State.
2. Don't talk about "issues with their games". Reka is on your team. But she is a fighter and that's why she wins. Every UNC player could be a former two star and overweight, but at the end of the day if they beat you guys --which they did-- then damn, they must be scrappier and fight harder.
3. I don't know if you play tennis or really any other sport (and this isn't an insult, I genuinely do not know) but not looking like a misfit has very little to do with winning at the end of the day. You yourself said UNC are fighters. How does that sting? Heart outweighs technique.
I mean okay you've made your point. Maybe it wasn't appropriate. I deleted the post. I never meant to offend people. People talk about Reka's moonballs all the time and I don't go ballistic. I thought it was funny, but whatever.

UNC is better this year in terms of results. Duke is mentally a mess right now. UNC is kind of like Wozniacki to me. I have no idea how they are so good, but they are mentally quite tough and they know how to win. But it's still frustrating when you can see clearly how Duke could have won the match, how, technically, shot for shot, they were a better team (indicated by their high school ratings, if nothing else), but they got out fought and Carolina got into their heads. Kudos to them. I will say that Duke blanketed Florida State 4-0 last week, so I'm really confused how we lost to them Friday, but whatever.
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 07:06 AM   #169
country flag fantic

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

Well I saw Nze and Marand at NCAA last year and they are both good players.

And Marand was especially good against Mijacika, I think.

I also think Marand/Grabinsky doubles were pretty solid at Riviera this season(last year). They were

also highly ranked last season, if I remember rightly.
"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 07:17 AM   #170
country flag fantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboyle View Post
I don't think she was "lucky" not to have met Gullickson/Juricova. She was killing Jurikova in the team finals 6-4; 3-0 when Duke clinched, and Mal didn't lose to the same person twice all year. In fact, every time she played the same person again, she improved against them. She lost the first match to Cohen, then beat her 6-4; 6-1, then 6-2; 6-1, then 6-1; 6-0. She lost to Mosolova the first time, then beat her the second time. She took three sets against Muskavite (sp?) from Arkansas the first time, then beat her 6-3; 6-3 the second time.

To say that the team got lucky is just preposterous. We beat Cal 4-0 and were up in two of the other three matches. There's no doubt that Duke was the best women's tennis team last season. This season is sadly a different story...but at least we have some solid recruits for next year...hopefully we pick up Capra too.
It's not preposterous at ALL. Granted Duke was a strong team, but still, Ilcinkas had to RETIRE at the

crucial moment at #2 doubles. And I think Cal #1 doubles was winning, no? Now that injury gave the

momentum entirely to duke, it NATURALLY affected singles play. Ilcinkas was singles #4. Duke won

singles #5 & 6, aside from #3.

And again, Cecil was lucky not to have met Gullickson and Juricova. That's a fact.
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 07:27 AM   #171
country flag tennisbuddy12
College Tennis/Team USA expert

tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute

I went to tennisrecruit and Tsang wasn't a 2 star...she wasn't rated and when she was, she was top 10

tennisbuddy12 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 08:16 AM   #172
country flag mboyle

mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It's not preposterous at ALL. Granted Duke was a strong team, but still, Ilcinkas had to RETIRE at the

crucial moment at #2 doubles. And I think Cal #1 doubles was winning, no? Now that injury gave the

momentum entirely to duke, it NATURALLY affected singles play. Ilcinkas was singles #4. Duke won

singles #5 & 6, aside from #3.

And again, Cecil was lucky not to have met Gullickson and Juricova. That's a fact.
She didn't retire, Cecil/Robinson won 8-5. Cal was up 7-5 at number 1 doubles.
Cecil was up 6-4; 3-0 at number 1
Ellah lost the first set but was up a break in the second at number 2
Even if we lost 4,5 and 6 (highly unlikely), we still could have won that match. Duke lost the doubles rubber against Arkansas, Northwestern and several other good teams throughout the year and still killed everyone in singles. Duke didn't get lucky. They were clearly the team to beat.

Cecil was KILLING Juricova. Maybe you could argue that she would have lost to Gullickson, but whatever. She still has the title.
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 12:00 PM   #173
country flag fantic

Ilcinkas just STAYED on the rest of the doubles, she couldn't even MOVE, she hurt her ankle or something,

of course Duke #2 doubles got an easy win. And she COULD NOT play singles.

You do know that Bobusic, #5, had a monster performance at NW R regional and almost

upset Boonstra, #1 of UF who defeated Barte at the NCAA?

Cal had to fill #6 by utilising Ravelojaona, Bobusic had to play 4, Chang 5, respectively.

It was an emergency situation. Again, Duke got lucky.
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 12:19 PM   #174
country flag its_a_racquet

its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboyle View Post
Do yall go to college? I mean people say way worse things than this. I mean, Sanaz said worse things than that to the fans in the stand during her match, so...especially between Duke and Carolina. It's like...part of the culture. But since people apparently don't understand that, I deleted my post. I apologize for offending you all. I just was poking fun at Carolina's team, seeing as they are our rivals...

Boyle - fans at Davis Cup are different than most professional tennis matches. In college tennis, fans at Baylor, North Carolina and Duke (just to name the three most obvious ones) are different too. Do the slurs and personal attacks thrown out at players during matches (and during points at times) work to impact opponents? Do the NC fans hanging on the fence yelling from 15 ft away at opponents during points help the NC team?

Maybe those slurs and attacks help their teams, but in my opinion, it sure shows the character and true nature of those people. I think and believe very strongly that behavior crosses from 'rivalry' or 'it's just college' to poor sportsmanship and at least for sports like tennis, there's no room for that.

If Duke and NC want to behave that way when playing each other go for it, but leave it at that, and leave it off this message board.

And finally.....Boyle........you were courteous enough to remove your original post but it is now copied 3 - 4 times here in replies to you.....so until those are removed......you've done nothing to 'fix' your behavior.
its_a_racquet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 04:02 PM   #175
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by its_a_racquet View Post
Maybe those slurs and attacks help their teams, but in my opinion, it sure shows the character and true nature of those people.
And finally.....Boyle........you were courteous enough to remove your original post but it is now copied 3 - 4 times here in replies to you.....so until those are removed......you've done nothing to 'fix' your behavior.
its_a_racquet I will have to disagree with you on 1 point. It's not about the "true nature" of people which suggests something not correctable. It's about flawed ideas thinking certain behavior is OK usually resulting from immaturity or over reacting from the heat of the moment. You can try to correct the flawed ideas by pointing out why it's not OK behavior and hope it sinks in.

And you shouldn't blame mboyle for something beyond his control like his post being copied.
gouci is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 10:52 PM   #176
country flag its_a_racquet

its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice

Gouci - I'm sure you had a point which was deep and meaningful in the first part of your response but you lost me.....don't bother trying again.....I'm more than ok if you disagree with me and just leave it at that.

And all I was saying to MBoyle was to not feel better about taking back his words by removing his post. That doesn't do much on this board since the words are still plastered about here.......not 'blaming' him for anything.
its_a_racquet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 06:04 AM   #177
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by form View Post
Marshall could bounce into at large contention with yesterday's huge win over # 27 TCU... could make them mid 40's...
At least you got the state of Texas right.
The team Marshall upset isn't TCU but is from Texas.
gouci is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 06:22 AM   #178
country flag mboyle

Quote:
Ilcinkas just STAYED on the rest of the doubles, she couldn't even MOVE, she hurt her ankle or something,

of course Duke #2 doubles got an easy win. And she COULD NOT play singles.

You do know that Bobusic, #5, had a monster performance at NW R regional and almost

upset Boonstra, #1 of UF who defeated Barte at the NCAA?

Cal had to fill #6 by utilising Ravelojaona, Bobusic had to play 4, Chang 5, respectively.

It was an emergency situation. Again, Duke got lucky.
I could just as easily say Cal got lucky. Liz Plotkin tore her ACL. Tara Iyer hurt her back and could not play. Tara was a top 50 national player and Liz Plotkin was one of the best recruits in the country when she got to Duke. Injuries are part of tennis. But when you beat a team 4-0, luck has nothing to do with it. You would have won anyway. It's not like Cal number 2 was up huge when the injury occurred. Maybe it would have been 4-2 or something without the injury, but I just think you're dreaming if you think Cal had a chance in that match the way the Duke girls played.
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 06:43 AM   #179
country flag fantic

Plotkin, Iyer? Don't remember if they competed in the NCAA last year. Ilcinkas was actually PLAYING in the tourney and got injured DURING THE MATCH. TOTALLY DIFFERENT.

And r~ight, Then obviously NU coach was dreaming too when she said that she felt Cal was the best team in the country, eh?

this is the link; http://www.aggieathletics.com/ncaa20...ch11women.html

Sweet Dreams

And uh...last time I checked Juricova was losing the 2nd set 2-3

Let's see, Cal would've won the dbls point,

#1 could go either way,

#2 Cossou will win (ranked 26), Nze 37th

#3 Z

#4 Ilcinkas

#5 Bobusic

#6 dunno

Cal losing to Duke 2-4? Absolutely NO way, sir.
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles

Last edited by fantic : Apr 27th, 2010 at 06:49 AM.
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 07:10 PM   #180
country flag USTennisfan

USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light USTennisfan is a glorious beacon of light

New Ranking is out for 4/27/10
USTennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote