Pac-12 - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 17th, 2010, 06:57 AM   #31
country flag fantic

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pac-10

after watching NCTC and viewing the results at UNLV..Stanford seems poised to reclaim the PAC 10 title.
For example, if we match against California;

no. 1 Barte is Juricova's nemesis
no. 2 Burdette I think got better, remember Cossou barely won the last duals match against B
no. 3 Andersson vs Burdette, Tan both are doing fine
no. 4~6 McVeigh is doing okay, remember she won against Scharle at WAATC, and beat Metzger at UNLV.
Doubles might be REALLY important..

only USC can stop the Cardinal... tomorrow's final match Barte; Sanchez might provide a useful hint (no. 1 matchup)..
Kinstler(last yr's no. 7) defeated Hickey today, Andrews defeated Pantic at Summer Circuit, Lao defeated Montez at SW R..
USC's 4~6 lineup is pretty solid, in my humble opinion
"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
Nil admirari (never enthuse over things).
- Horace, Epistles
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 17th, 2010, 08:29 AM   #32
Tennisace

Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold

One thing that has always bugged me about college tennis is the whole ladder system. I understand that line-ups are supposed to be arranged based on strength (via challenge matches during the week), however it annoys me when the best ranked player (according to the rankings) is not playing at the top spot. In this case either the rankings are flawed or the line-up is flawed. And well I think its safe to say that both are.

Eventually if a player doesn't belong at the top of the line-up their ranking will fall and thus they should be moved down the line-up. With that being said Mallory should really play behind Barte (Mallory's ranking is actually higher than Barte's right now). I don't know how much stock I would put in the Lindsay-Cossou match. That was Cossou's fourth competitive match coming back from injury. But let's also not forget their match was the deciding match of the deadlocked 3-3 dual (in fact it became 3-3 just as they were opening the third set).

In my opinion the No. 2 spot for Lindsay is a challenging spot in that she will never dominate that position. She has a stellar record at No. 3 and No. 4 but a rather mediocre record at No. 2 (2-1 ratio). And let's face it that does not cut it when you are trying to vie for a national championship. I think she improved a bit last year but I believe one aspect of her game that has been holding her back from really excelling is her mental game.
Tennisace is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2010, 09:23 AM   #33
country flag fantic

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

Valid point. And that's why I was disappointed not finding the younger Burdette here

That being said, I thought the elder Burdette did pretty well here so far. She had no problem against
Kinstler and defeated Schnack, had a good game against Sanchez. I also thought her to be pretty steady, mentally, too. Dunno if that IS a 'Doubles' effect, as I mentioned, or is it my illusion..time will tell, I guess

Mallory did lose to Tsang at UNLV..but Tan defeated Grabinski & Marand, advancing to the final..
Recruits certainly are a BIG plus for Stanford..as for USC I didn't see much of Pulido (only SW R), but I'm
pretty satisfied with Lao
"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles
Old Jan 17th, 2010, 02:52 PM   #34
country flag fantic

Pepperdine's last year #1 was Bhargava, #2 Walters. And Walters was the higher ranked, I believe
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles
Old Jan 17th, 2010, 05:31 PM   #35
country flag 2nd_serve

2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
One thing that has always bugged me about college tennis is the whole ladder system. I understand that line-ups are supposed to be arranged based on strength (via challenge matches during the week), however it annoys me when the best ranked player (according to the rankings) is not playing at the top spot. In this case either the rankings are flawed or the line-up is flawed. And well I think its safe to say that both are.
Gaming and stacking may checked more socially than by rules. Tennis is a small world with fans watching with focused observation and intelligence. People know when one games the system, even that they get away with it.
2nd_serve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2010, 11:17 PM   #36
country flag fantic

I also remember Fresno State vs USC a few years ago, Petukhova routed Anastasiu, but that P shouldn't have played A, her ranking was pretty high, i think(A played like 4~6th position in her last years) USC protested (they lost 3-4) and it was acknowledged, so it was recorded as USC win. Too bad I didn't actually watch them play, both being my favorite players
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 02:44 PM   #37
country flag fantic

result at UNLV.

http://www.gostanford.com/sports/w-t...011710aaa.html

Lindsay Burdette expressed her satisfaction by terming it 'swept' in both Tourneys
Well Stanford sure seems strong enough. :

On USC's side, they can say that they have an edge over UCLA, I've watched quite a bit of action between the 2 school's players from last summer. Yes, at SW R Schnack & Remynse beat Ramos & Entekhabi respectively, but that matchup wouldn't happen at duals.
The only troubling result is that Montez beat Ramos last summer at SBTC, but since then Ramos' result is

UNLV-
Veronica Li (STAN) d. Carling Seguso (UCLA) 6-3, 7-6
Mallory Burdette/Stacey Tan (STAN) d. Maya Johansson/Stephanie Hoffpauir (UCLA) 8-2
Carling Seguso/Pamela Montez (UCLA) d. Carolyn McVeigh/Veronica Li (STAN) 9-8

Of the Top 4 UCLA should be apprehensive. Not too comforting results at both tourneys.
(Haven't seen Cal yet, saving Radeva)

I'll dare predict that USC and STAN will vie for the Pac-10 team championship Other school 's players can claim individual trophies for all I care, but the team championship is USC's to KEEP
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 03:56 PM   #38
country flag fantic

I guess DOUBLES might influence the outcome A LOT.

Sure it's only one point, but all top 4 teams are experimenting right now, especially #2 & #3 positions

USC
Dunno what their final lineup will be, they're trying every possible pairings right now
But Cristala Andrews/Leyla Entekhabi was operational at SW R and UNLV.
And I like Ramos/Lao, they can pair it NEXT season also, I guess

UCLA

Remynse/Schnack is a given, and Johansson/Hoffpauir, Seguso/Montez will fill the remaining positions, I guess.
The results at WAATC, SW R, UNLV isn't all that helpful, YET.

CAL

Andersson/Juricova is having a bad season so far as for the remaining pairs,

NW R
Burdette/Tan (STAN) def. Davis/Siwosz (CAL) 8-1
1] No. 2 Andersson/Juricova (CAL) def. Hansen/Yen (STAN) 8-4
[2] No. 3 Barte/Burdette (STAN) def. [5] Cossou/Goransson (CAL) 8-2

ASU INVITE
Davis/Goransson (Cal) def. Fournier/Mahtani (UofM) 8-4
Radeva/Siworsz (Cal) def. Jasper/Jochimsen (BSU) 8-3
Keesey/Escobedo (OSU) def. Radeva/Siwocz (Cal) 8-4

STAN

STAN seems the strongest ALSO in doubles, for now;
Barte/Burdette, Burdette/Tan
McVeigh/Li & Hansen/Yen is beatable, so I guess other 3 schools should target Burdette/Tan
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 09:30 PM   #39
country flag fantic

one topic...when was the last time visitor won at Taube Center at Stanford?

Can ANY team break that 'tradition'...what is it that makes Taube special?

Rabid fans? Distinct court condition(bounce? weather?),or what?

this is from Stanford website;

151 consecutive matches (121 regular season, 30 NCAA Tournament) at home- a streak that spans 10 seasons and is recognized as the longest active home winning streak among all sports in Division I athletics. The Cardinal has not lost at the Taube Family Tennis Stadium since a 5-4 setback against No. 4 California back on Feb. 27, 1999.

The Cardinals sure are proud of it, they dedicated a separate post on that

http://www.gostanford.com/sports/w-t...030809aah.html

Well they have to console for the fact that none of the players have reached elite 8 in individual tourneys after Burdette, in 2007 NCAA, and losing the PAC-10 title after the post..
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles

Last edited by fantic : Jan 18th, 2010 at 09:45 PM.
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 09:50 PM   #40
Tennisace

Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantic View Post
one topic...when was the last time visitor won at Taube Center at Stanford?

Can ANY team break that 'tradition'...what is it that makes Taube special?

Rabid fans? Distinct court condition(bounce? weather?),or what?

this is from Stanford website;

151 consecutive matches (121 regular season, 30 NCAA Tournament) at home- a streak that spans 10 seasons and is recognized as the longest active home winning streak among all sports in Division I athletics. The Cardinal has not lost at the Taube Family Tennis Stadium since a 5-4 setback against No. 4 California back on Feb. 27, 1999.

The Cardinals sure are proud of it, they dedicated a separate post on that

http://www.gostanford.com/sports/w-t...030809aah.html
Claire should have put Nguyen away last year to break the streak. But all credit to Nguyen for fighting back. Oddly enough the "new" qualifying format for the Indoors preserved Stanford's win streak at home. Stanford only played UCLA and USC once last year (that's where they cut matches as the qualifying counts as two dates). Those matches were played in LA. Had USC and UCLA came up, one or both of them would have broken the steak especially considering how relatively weak last year's Stanford team.

USC is the only team that has a chance for the win this year.
Tennisace is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 09:56 PM   #41
country flag fantic

oh, was that so? They were desperate to preserve their tradition, methinks

and thanks for mentioning USC as a likely candidate This season's Cardinals is tough to beat,

but who knows, it's high time that the 'Tree' felled. Maybe Trojan can saw it off

Or Bruin & Golden Bear could knock it down..
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 10:01 PM   #42
country flag fantic

No. 13 Stanford 4, No. 7 California 3

DOUBLES
1) No. 13 Andersson/Juricova (CAL) d. No. 23 Barte/Burdette (STAN) 9-8 (2)
2) Bobusic/Ilcinkas (CAL) d. McVeigh/Nguyen (STAN) 8-5
3) Logan Hansen/Li (STAN) d. Chang/Ravelojaona (CAL) 8-4
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1

SINGLES
1) No. 16 Hilary Barte (STAN) d. No. 26 Jana Juricova (CAL) 6-4, 4-6, 6-4
2) No. 74 Mari Andersson (CAL) d. No. 121 Lindsay Burdette (STAN) 6-4, 7-5
3) Jessica Nguyen (STAN) d. No. 42 Claire Ilcinkas (CAL) 6-4, 3-6, 7-5
4) No. 23 Bojana Bobusic (CAL) d. Carolyn McVeigh (STAN) 6-2, 6-2
5) Veronica Li (STAN) d. Marion Ravelojaona (CAL) 6-4, 3-6, 6-2
6) Courtney Clayton (STAN) d. Stephany Chang (CAL) 6-4, 6-1
Order of Finish: 4, 6, 2, 5, 1, 3

Man, I guess we have to blame Marina for her 'timely' injury
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 11:11 PM   #43
country flag fantic

NCAA championship contenders' results so far this season;

CAL ; Juricova, Cossou
USC ; Sanchez
UCLA; Schnack
STAN; Barte, M. Burdette
WASH; Chan, Dy
ASU; McKenna
UA; Marks

(Strictly speaking I guess Juricova, Schnack, Barte, Chan, Dy have chance. Eh..Schnack is a bit doubtful, she already lost to Barte, Cossou, Sanchez, L. Burdette..but still, she's the ONLY player to have defeated BOTH Juricova & Gullickson, a feat no other players achieved Even Cecil couldn't win against both of them at NCAA..I think the victory owes to her slices and dropshots..)

CAL NIKE INVITE
Schnack def. Juricova 6-2, 6-3
Schnack def. Cossou 6-0, 6-3

WAATC

Barte def. Schnack 7-5, 6-3
Juricova def. Sanchez 7-5, 6-3
Chan def. McKenna 7-5, 6-1
Chan def. Cossou 6-4, 7-6(1)

NW R
Burdette def. Cossou 6-0, 6-4
Dy def. Barte 4-6, 6-2, 6-3
Dy def. Burdette 7-5, 1-6, 7-6(1)
Dy def. Juricova 6-3, 6-3

SW R
Schnack def. Marks 6-4, 6-1
Sanchez def. Schnack 6-7(8), 7-5, 6-4

INDOORS

Cossou def. Schnack 6-2, 6-2
Dy def. Barte 6-4, 5-7, 7-5
Juricova def. Dy 6-4, 6-1

NCTC
Barte def. Sanchez 7-5, 6-2

Cossou got bagelled twice already, a rarity in itself

Barte is juricova's nemesis, Dy is Barte's nemesis..
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles

Last edited by fantic : Jan 20th, 2010 at 03:25 AM.
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 03:28 AM   #44
country flag fantic

I guess Washington also could defeat Stanford, but their singles 3~6 positions aren't...hell, they did defeat Ramos & Kinstler at NCAA 2nd round, so who knows, if BOTH Chan & Dy can win (not impossible, of course)..
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 09:43 PM   #45
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
I understand your gripe with Cal and recruiting older players but I don't think Siwosz should count She'll basically only play No. 3 doubles which ironically is the position she played at Baylor.
Looks like Siwosz should now count, playing above your expectations at #2 doubles and #4 singles. Experience counts for a lot.
gouci is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote