2012-13 verbals, high interest & transfers - Page 32 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 1st, 2012, 03:34 AM   #466
country flag Amalgamate

Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future
Re: 2012-13 verbals, high interest & transfers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ats_tennis View Post
I thought I would share that I was talking to Grace Min's coach the other day at the 10k in Hilton Head and he basically said she was going pro. Apparently if she does well in Wimbledon that is where she might be turning pro.
Yea, this is what I figured. She's currently ranked 177 and would be by far the highest ranked girl to ever turn pro (it was formerly Capra at 201, which was inflated by her US Open run anyway). With a serious shot at cracking the top 100, going to college would be a step backward.
Amalgamate is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 1st, 2012, 04:52 AM   #467
country flag mboyle

mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalgamate View Post
Yea, this is what I figured. She's currently ranked 177 and would be by far the highest ranked girl to ever turn pro (it was formerly Capra at 201, which was inflated by her US Open run anyway). With a serious shot at cracking the top 100, going to college would be a step backward.
I don't think holding a free degree from the likes of Stanford or Duke is a step backward in any sense...especially since Duke only requires you to go one season in order to get all four years free.
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 04:59 AM   #468
country flag cowsonice

cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future

I think it has to do with momentum. Playing NCAA dual matches limits your opponent field whereas in ITFs, the opportunities are rather endless.

Faves: Sharapova, Hantuchova, Safarova, Goerges
GO BEARS!
cowsonice is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 05:15 AM   #469
country flag Amalgamate

Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboyle View Post
I don't think holding a free degree from the likes of Stanford or Duke is a step backward in any sense...especially since Duke only requires you to go one season in order to get all four years free.
You would.

I was speaking about a step backward in terms of progressing towards an elite pro career. If Grace were to go to college, even for only a semester, she wouldn't train as much as she currently does, she'd have many other distractions, and she wouldn't be able to get the competition and match play needed to keep progressing at the pro level. The bottom line is she wouldn't have the time to train as much as she currently does.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be a wise move to go for a semester just in case a pro career doesn't pan out, she would have a great college to go to and earn a degree. In fact, that's probably what I would do in her position. But she's proven she is well above the elite college level and attending for a year wouldn't provide her with the competition, practice, or training that should be done while trying to break into the top 100.
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 08:43 AM   #470
country flag SakiBomb25

SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalgamate View Post
You would.

I was speaking about a step backward in terms of progressing towards an elite pro career. If Grace were to go to college, even for only a semester, she wouldn't train as much as she currently does, she'd have many other distractions, and she wouldn't be able to get the competition and match play needed to keep progressing at the pro level. The bottom line is she wouldn't have the time to train as much as she currently does.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be a wise move to go for a semester just in case a pro career doesn't pan out, she would have a great college to go to and earn a degree. In fact, that's probably what I would do in her position. But she's proven she is well above the elite college level and attending for a year wouldn't provide her with the competition, practice, or training that should be done while trying to break into the top 100.
I guess the biggest question though is how does her game translate to the pros? Will she have a long and successful career? If she's only going to be a flash-in-the-pan (i.e., have a great tournament here or there, but lingering around the 100 to 150 spot), does it really make sense to turn down a free ride? John Isner showed that you can go to college and be a solid pro. Does she have the goods to be a Top 20 player? If she does, then I say go pro. If not, it would be smart to go to college first.

I know she is small, but so was Justine Henin. My concern is that she doesn't have a big weapon to help her on the pro circuit.
SakiBomb25 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 08:48 AM   #471
country flag Amalgamate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakiBomb25 View Post
I guess the biggest question though is how does her game translate to the pros? Will she have a long and successful career? If she's only going to be a flash-in-the-pan (i.e., have a great tournament here or there, but lingering around the 100 to 150 spot), does it really make sense to turn down a free ride? John Isner showed that you can go to college and be a solid pro. Does she have the goods to be a Top 20 player? If she does, then I say go pro. If not, it would be smart to go to college first.

I know she is small, but so was Justine Henin. My concern is that she doesn't have a big weapon to help her on the pro circuit.
Grace is listed at 5'6. 2 inches taller than Falconi.
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 09:49 PM   #472
country flag tie_breaker

tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakiBomb25 View Post

The same could be said about Christina McHale, who despite not having a big weapon has been consistent enough to be one of the highest ranked Americans. I think the biggest challenge is not so much being small or not having a big weapon but competing day in, day out, while losing in the first or second rounds and having the mental capacity to overcome losing, while finding ways to improve to the next level at the same time, then eventually make it deeper into the tournament (QF's and SF's).

I think Grace Min is following in the same tracks as McHale in terms of gradual improvement. I think McHale, Grace Min, and Sloan Stephens have potential to crack the top 20.
tie_breaker is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2012, 01:05 AM   #473
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

I thought McHale's FH was above college level..she just blew off Scandal at the WTA Carlsbad, dunno how many winners she made in that match

"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2012, 05:32 AM   #474
country flag cowsonice

cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future

I see similarities in Grace's and Christina's game. And Grace's backhand technique is far more solid.

Faves: Sharapova, Hantuchova, Safarova, Goerges
GO BEARS!
cowsonice is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2012, 09:06 PM   #475
country flag Embittered

Embittered has disabled reputation

TR has Elizaveta Nemchinov going to William and Mary, but why've they called her Leeza and made her Russian (I mean she'd be Nemchinova if she were Russian)?
Embittered is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 09:39 AM   #476
country flag tennisuk1969

tennisuk1969 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow this forum is very interesting!!! Does anyone happen to know what the British girls are up to? Any more going out to the States? Who's out there right now?
tennisuk1969 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 08:50 PM   #477
country flag davidjaime

davidjaime is just really nice davidjaime is just really nice davidjaime is just really nice davidjaime is just really nice davidjaime is just really nice davidjaime is just really nice davidjaime is just really nice davidjaime is just really nice davidjaime is just really nice davidjaime is just really nice davidjaime is just really nice

Hannah James is going to be doing her last year at ASU.

Natalie Beazant debuted with Rice at the top of their line up and made sweet 16 in team championships

Natasha Marks just finished her last season at Arizona, but they have Laura Oldham who will be a sophomore next season.

Samantha Vickers had a great season at Tulsa, will be a junior.

Daneika Borthwick sat out a year at Florida State, but they do have Amy Sargeant and Ruth Seaborne.

North Carolina has Laura Slater.

TCU added transfer Olivia Smith from Miami.

Last edited by davidjaime : Jun 11th, 2012 at 08:57 PM.
davidjaime is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 03:43 PM   #478
country flag form

form has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjaime View Post
Hannah James is going to be doing her last year at ASU.

Natalie Beazant debuted with Rice at the top of their line up and made sweet 16 in team championships

Natasha Marks just finished her last season at Arizona, but they have Laura Oldham who will be a sophomore next season.

Samantha Vickers had a great season at Tulsa, will be a junior.

Daneika Borthwick sat out a year at Florida State, but they do have Amy Sargeant and Ruth Seaborne.

North Carolina has Laura Slater.

TCU added transfer Olivia Smith from Miami.
Sarah Cantlay at # 4 for LB State will be a senior (last of a run of 6 Brits at LB)
form is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2012, 06:17 AM   #479
country flag Amalgamate

Stefania Hristov commits to Texas A & M?
Old Jun 14th, 2012, 07:01 AM   #480
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all
Re: Updates

6/13/12

122. Kentucky gets verbal from 4 star Kirsten Lewis.

gouci is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote