Jo Durie - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Reply

Old Apr 27th, 2009, 09:14 AM   #1
country flag iainmac
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,782
iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold
Jo Durie

This lady was one of my favourite players as a teenager and I wonder what others remember of her, especially of her more memorable matches.
iainmac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old Apr 27th, 2009, 09:59 AM   #2
country flag AdeyC
TT BOARD MEMBER
 
AdeyC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Brighton
Posts: 10,632
AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jo Durie

Always a shock that her single 'Wimbledon Lawns' failed to chart

The best British player there's been since Barker and Wade by far.

My favourite memory is her playing Ros Fairbank on an outside court at Wimbledon and the crowd were shouting out 'Come On Jo' and she wasn't in the best of moods and shouted back 'I am coming on for Christs sake'
AdeyC is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2009, 12:12 PM   #3
country flag iainmac
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,782
iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold
Re: Jo Durie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdeyC View Post
Always a shock that her single 'Wimbledon Lawns' failed to chart

The best British player there's been since Barker and Wade by far.

My favourite memory is her playing Ros Fairbank on an outside court at Wimbledon and the crowd were shouting out 'Come On Jo' and she wasn't in the best of moods and shouted back 'I am coming on for Christs sake'
Oh yes I remember Wimbledon lawns- it was released just after she got to the semi finals in Paris. MMMMM
Yes by a mile the best since Wade and Barker were at their peak.
I didnt realise she had played Ros Fairbank at Wimbledon. I do rememeber her playing Fairbank on an outside court at Eastbourne and that was a stormy match. Not much love lost that day between the two of them!!!
iainmac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2009, 04:51 PM   #4
country flag chris whiteside
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2,620
chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold
Re: Jo Durie

Jo Durie was a real tragedy.

Like Tim Henman she probably had the game to win a Slam but wasn't mentally tough enough. She had one of the best backhands in the game before Justine Henin.

Her weak back was always a hindrance and she was really only among the VERY top players in the world for such a short time, less than a year.

If ever one match turned a player's career, similar to that of Sue's against Betty at Wimby '77, then that was Jo's against Martina Navratilova at the Australian Open in 1983.

Coming off semis at RG and Wimbledon and having just won the NSW title, losing that match having had a 3-1 lead in the final set finished her psychologically - she was never the same player again. Martina was lucky the match was called off the previous night when she had just lost the first set.
__________________
Margaret Thatcher - Michele Bachmann two strong women of our time.
chris whiteside is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 08:59 AM   #5
country flag iainmac
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,782
iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold
Re: Jo Durie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris whiteside View Post
Jo Durie was a real tragedy.

Like Tim Henman she probably had the game to win a Slam but wasn't mentally tough enough. She had one of the best backhands in the game before Justine Henin.

Her weak back was always a hindrance and she was really only among the VERY top players in the world for such a short time, less than a year.

If ever one match turned a player's career, similar to that of Sue's against Betty at Wimby '77, then that was Jo's against Martina Navratilova at the Australian Open in 1983.

Coming off semis at RG and Wimbledon and having just won the NSW title, losing that match having had a 3-1 lead in the final set finished her psychologically - she was never the same player again. Martina was lucky the match was called off the previous night when she had just lost the first set.
I agree with you Chris, it was very sad that mental and physical constraints held her back.
Yes she only really had full physical fitness from May 81 to early 84 and that back injury sustained at the Annie Soisbault cup really haunted her over the years.
Having reached the semis at the French and US Opens she really was riding high.And as you say she won Sydney having lost a titanic match to Pam Shriver in Brisbane the week before.
I remember the match going off due to rain. The Aussie press were amazed by her and said that she played so well you couldnt tell who was the world number one.
I saw the last set on BBC and it was fantastic too, but I agree she would have won the day before. Martina was unsure of Durie on grass. Remember Eastbourne 82?
At least she won a few mixed and was regarded very highly by her peers. Especially Chris Evert and Hana Mandlikova. She never did gel with Martina though.
iainmac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 09:06 AM   #6
country flag Philbo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: sydney
Posts: 6,194
Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jo Durie

Oh my lord. Jo Durie.. One of my best friends, a 30 year old english boy has the most unhealthy tennis player obsession of anyone Ive ever met, and this object of his affection is none other than good old Jo Durie..

Instead of saying 'Hi' to each other when we see each other, our way of saying hello is a simple 'go jo'.

Suffice to say he can rattle off whole lists of tournament results including score lines from the early 80's with remarkable ease. Every wimbledon I end up trapsing around the back courts trying to get a glimpse of Jo in the legends doubles..

Oh and when we play each other in tennis and he starts missing his serve, he goes back to the 'abbreviated jo service action' which apparently Jo had to implement at some stage of her career due to shoulder problems lol.
__________________
Of even more significance, there's this little gap in Graf's resume the size of the hole in the ozone layer: It's called Monica Seles. Was Graf the best female player of all time? She wasn't even the best in the heart of her career.
- Frank Deford, Sports Illustrated 27/8/01
Philbo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 09:30 AM   #7
country flag AdeyC
TT BOARD MEMBER
 
AdeyC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Brighton
Posts: 10,632
AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jo Durie

It also surprised me that she never had a decent regular doubles partner after Anne Hobbs and Ann Kiyomura
AdeyC is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 09:46 AM   #8
country flag gojo
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5
gojo is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Jo Durie

Jo is my favourite player, true she never met her full potential but she was the best Britain had for a decade. Her dad's death also deeply affected her more so than her injuries I think.

Jo has a winning head-to-head v Steffi Graf (no other top player does - Martina, Chris, the williams sisters - all level at best) it's Jo 4, steffi 3.

There were also some great victories late in her career - US Open 91 taking out Sukova in 3R, and French Open 92, when, a couple of months of turning 32, she beat the 16 year old ninth seeded Huber 6-1 7-5, having lost a match point at 5-2 and choking back to 5-5 in the second.

But the most emotional win by far was 6-2 7-6 over Dechaume Balleret in 1R of wim 95 - her last tournament. She was 34 and had had several really bad injuries. She was the only GB survivor of 1R. Gave Novotna a good match in her last match too. She had a great send off. Go Jo

(Ps play with Martina in the legends next year, not Annabel)
gojo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 09:54 AM   #9
country flag iainmac
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,782
iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: Jo Durie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czechfan View Post
Oh my lord. Jo Durie.. One of my best friends, a 30 year old english boy has the most unhealthy tennis player obsession of anyone Ive ever met, and this object of his affection is none other than good old Jo Durie..

Instead of saying 'Hi' to each other when we see each other, our way of saying hello is a simple 'go jo'.

Suffice to say he can rattle off whole lists of tournament results including score lines from the early 80's with remarkable ease. Every wimbledon I end up trapsing around the back courts trying to get a glimpse of Jo in the legends doubles..

Oh and when we play each other in tennis and he starts missing his serve, he goes back to the 'abbreviated jo service action' which apparently Jo had to implement at some stage of her career due to shoulder problems lol.
He sounds great and I like his style. Mind you Jo has put on a bit of weight and looked very slow when she was playing with Annabel Croft last year!!!
Would be great to test his knowledge of Jo and her results. I thought I was the expert but for sure this fella sounds like he could give me a run for my money!!!!!.
And that service, he is a genius if he can replicate that!!!
iainmac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 09:56 AM   #10
country flag iainmac
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,782
iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold
Re: Jo Durie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdeyC View Post
It also surprised me that she never had a decent regular doubles partner after Anne Hobbs and Ann Kiyomura
No that is right it is strange. Although she did at various times play with Chris Evert, Steffi Graf and Mary Joe Fernandez after the Hobbs and Kiyomura partnerships.
iainmac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 10:00 AM   #11
country flag iainmac
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,782
iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold
Re: Jo Durie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojo View Post
Jo is my favourite player, true she never met her full potential but she was the best Britain had for a decade. Her dad's death also deeply affected her more so than her injuries I think.

Jo has a winning head-to-head v Steffi Graf (no other top player does - Martina, Chris, the williams sisters - all level at best) it's Jo 4, steffi 3.

There were also some great victories late in her career - US Open 91 taking out Sukova in 3R, and French Open 92, when, a couple of months of turning 32, she beat the 16 year old ninth seeded Huber 6-1 7-5, having lost a match point at 5-2 and choking back to 5-5 in the second.

But the most emotional win by far was 6-2 7-6 over Dechaume Balleret in 1R of wim 95 - her last tournament. She was 34 and had had several really bad injuries. She was the only GB survivor of 1R. Gave Novotna a good match in her last match too. She had a great send off. Go Jo

(Ps play with Martina in the legends next year, not Annabel)
I agree she was the best player by a mile since Wade and Barker. Pity she never met her potential.
I think her record against Steffi Graf is fantastic and you know even though it was in her early years, Graf had a lot of respect for Durie.
I had forgotten the Huber victory- that was great especially on clay.
I remember her beating Sukova and that was a fantastic effort although I think Monica saw her off 1 and 2 in the last 16.
Her last Wimbledon was special and what a heart warming farewell on court one after she lost to Novotna.
And i agree about her dads death- it was a horrible event and affected her for the rest of her career.
iainmac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 10:05 AM   #12
country flag gojo
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5
gojo is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Jo Durie

It was Capriati that beat Jo 1 and 2 - she never played Monica.
After beating Huber FO92, she lost 6-7 6-4 6-4 to Akiko Kijumuta, who then lead Monica 4-1 in the final set before losing. That was as close as Jo got to playing Monica.

Best ever mixed match she was in, despite losing, was 6-2 3-6 6-3 loss to Woodbridge/Sanchez V at QF Wim 93 with Bates. What a match!
gojo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 10:24 AM   #13
country flag iainmac
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,782
iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold
Re: Jo Durie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojo View Post
It was Capriati that beat Jo 1 and 2 - she never played Monica.
After beating Huber FO92, she lost 6-7 6-4 6-4 to Akiko Kijumuta, who then lead Monica 4-1 in the final set before losing. That was as close as Jo got to playing Monica.

Best ever mixed match she was in, despite losing, was 6-2 3-6 6-3 loss to Woodbridge/Sanchez V at QF Wim 93 with Bates. What a match!
Yes of course it was Capriati. And that year of course Capriati was in great form and virtually unbeatable. I remember watching the Kijimuta match on sky sports and being so dissapointed. It was on the 4th show court I think. It was a good match though.
I dont know if I saw that match in the mixed- sounds great. My fave doubles was when she and Anne Hobbs beat Casals and Smith in the 82 Wightman Cup.
iainmac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 10:32 AM   #14
country flag gojo
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5
gojo is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Jo Durie

do you know of anyone who has a tape of the huber match? I would so love to see that. Newspaper reports described it as vintage Jo of 83.

Huber got her revenge at wimbledon 94 though.
gojo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 10:46 AM   #15
country flag iainmac
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,782
iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold
Re: Jo Durie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojo View Post
do you know of anyone who has a tape of the huber match? I would so love to see that. Newspaper reports described it as vintage Jo of 83.

Huber got her revenge at wimbledon 94 though.
Sounds like a great performance dosent it? Wish I could see. I think though that Huber beat Jo at the 90 Wimbledon when she was still a young girl and it was a bit of a dissapointment for Jo.
iainmac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios