Are there any Filipina(from Philippines) tennis players in the WTA? If yes, who and d - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 30th, 2003, 09:45 AM   #1
MonicaSelesFan2

MonicaSelesFan2 is a name known to all MonicaSelesFan2 is a name known to all MonicaSelesFan2 is a name known to all MonicaSelesFan2 is a name known to all MonicaSelesFan2 is a name known to all MonicaSelesFan2 is a name known to all MonicaSelesFan2 is a name known to all MonicaSelesFan2 is a name known to all MonicaSelesFan2 is a name known to all MonicaSelesFan2 is a name known to all MonicaSelesFan2 is a name known to all
Are there any Filipina(from Philippines) tennis players in the WTA? If yes, who and d

Are there any Filipina(from Philippines) tennis players in the WTA? If yes, who and do you have a pic of her?
MonicaSelesFan2 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 30th, 2003, 09:59 AM   #2
KV

KV has a reputation beyond repute KV has a reputation beyond repute KV has a reputation beyond repute KV has a reputation beyond repute KV has a reputation beyond repute KV has a reputation beyond repute KV has a reputation beyond repute KV has a reputation beyond repute KV has a reputation beyond repute KV has a reputation beyond repute KV has a reputation beyond repute
There are players on the Wtatour, but unranked.

Here http://home17.inet.tele.dk/wta/
KV is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 11:43 AM   #3
country flag Geoffry

Geoffry has a reputation beyond repute Geoffry has a reputation beyond repute Geoffry has a reputation beyond repute Geoffry has a reputation beyond repute Geoffry has a reputation beyond repute Geoffry has a reputation beyond repute Geoffry has a reputation beyond repute Geoffry has a reputation beyond repute Geoffry has a reputation beyond repute Geoffry has a reputation beyond repute Geoffry has a reputation beyond repute
Agsalud, Alpuerto; Bantay, Arevalo, Battad, Cadiente, Cruz, De Castro, Dumlao, Erorita,...
But none of them are ranked, and their latest tournament was Manila in November
Geoffry is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 11:56 AM   #4
country flag spiceboy

spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute
Probably the best one is Francesca La'O who played the 4 Junior GS in 1994, played a bit in the ITF circuit and moved to the US where she is playing University Tennis right now
spiceboy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 01:32 PM   #5
country flag Xian

Xian has a reputation beyond repute Xian has a reputation beyond repute Xian has a reputation beyond repute Xian has a reputation beyond repute Xian has a reputation beyond repute Xian has a reputation beyond repute Xian has a reputation beyond repute Xian has a reputation beyond repute Xian has a reputation beyond repute Xian has a reputation beyond repute Xian has a reputation beyond repute
Czarina-Mae Arevalo is the best of those right now
Xian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 01:41 PM   #6
Julian

Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of
I dont understand why Philiippines tennis hasnt produced any outstanding players.

1989, 1994, 1998 French Open Champion, 1994 U.S. Open Champion
1994, 1995 Australian Open Finalist, 1995, 1996 Wimbledon Finalist
4- Time Olympic Medalist, 5-Time Fed Cup Winning Team, Inducted into Hall of Fame in 2007!!!
Julian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 01:52 PM   #7
QUEENLINDSAY

QUEENLINDSAY has a brilliant future QUEENLINDSAY has a brilliant future QUEENLINDSAY has a brilliant future QUEENLINDSAY has a brilliant future QUEENLINDSAY has a brilliant future QUEENLINDSAY has a brilliant future QUEENLINDSAY has a brilliant future QUEENLINDSAY has a brilliant future QUEENLINDSAY has a brilliant future QUEENLINDSAY has a brilliant future QUEENLINDSAY has a brilliant future
I think the best the Philippines got was Maricris Fernandez in Australian Open 1996 where she reached the second round beaten by Mirjana Lucic in 3 sets 7:6 in the last set.

The reason these players cant reach their potential is monetary problems. You cannot roam around the world to go for tournaments without it. They dont have any support of whatever from the government. I think the tournament organizers will only pay for all your expenses if you are seeded or a top rank player.

Monica,Kim,Jelena
QUEENLINDSAY is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 04:36 PM   #8
country flag 7~LV3

7~LV3 is a glorious beacon of light 7~LV3 is a glorious beacon of light 7~LV3 is a glorious beacon of light 7~LV3 is a glorious beacon of light 7~LV3 is a glorious beacon of light 7~LV3 is a glorious beacon of light 7~LV3 is a glorious beacon of light 7~LV3 is a glorious beacon of light 7~LV3 is a glorious beacon of light 7~LV3 is a glorious beacon of light 7~LV3 is a glorious beacon of light
From what i know, theres only Puyat who sponsors the athletes in the Philippines, and most girls would rather be in bowling, karate/judo...

I went looking for schools there, they have hard, grass and clay... but empty...
7~LV3 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 06:18 PM   #9
country flag SerialKiller#69

SerialKiller#69 is a glorious beacon of light SerialKiller#69 is a glorious beacon of light SerialKiller#69 is a glorious beacon of light SerialKiller#69 is a glorious beacon of light SerialKiller#69 is a glorious beacon of light SerialKiller#69 is a glorious beacon of light SerialKiller#69 is a glorious beacon of light SerialKiller#69 is a glorious beacon of light SerialKiller#69 is a glorious beacon of light SerialKiller#69 is a glorious beacon of light SerialKiller#69 is a glorious beacon of light
First off, tennis is not that popular among the young ones here compared to billiards, judo, golf and boxing. So it doesn't have the attention for government support.

Second is financial reasons. If you don't have money, you can't travel and join tournaments which means you can't accumulate points. For instance, I can only afford playing in some tournies in SE Asia but after that season, I'm back to my home country for another tennis hibernation. For the meanwhile, the other players can travel to Europe immediately and then gain more and more points.

Actually there are a lot of very good junior players. I am friends with a lot of them and watching them play is sometimes like witnessing a treasure chest waiting to be discovered.

I think Fernandez decided to stop tennis to pursure her law ambitions in abroad.She was pretty good though.

.tatianagolovin.sesilkaratancheva.shuaipeng.

.lindsayDAVENPORT.kimCLIJSTERS.

"i don't wanna be your other half i believe that one and one make two."

alanis m.

SerialKiller#69 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 06:25 PM   #10

SerialKiller#69 is a glorious beacon of light SerialKiller#69 is a glorious beacon of light SerialKiller#69 is a glorious beacon of light SerialKiller#69 is a glorious beacon of light SerialKiller#69 is a glorious beacon of light SerialKiller#69 is a glorious beacon of light SerialKiller#69 is a glorious beacon of light SerialKiller#69 is a glorious beacon of light SerialKiller#69 is a glorious beacon of light SerialKiller#69 is a glorious beacon of light SerialKiller#69 is a glorious beacon of light
First off, tennis is not that popular among the young ones here compared to billiards, judo, golf and boxing. So it doesn't have the attention for government support.

Second is financial reasons. If you don't have money, you can't travel and join tournaments which means you can't accumulate points. For instance, I can only afford playing in some tournies in SE Asia but after that season, I'm back to my home country for another tennis hibernation. For the meanwhile, the other players can travel to Europe immediately and then gain more and more points.

Actually there are a lot of very good junior players. I am friends with a lot of them and watching them play is sometimes like witnessing a treasure chest waiting to be discovered.

I think Fernandez decided to stop tennis to pursue her law ambitions in abroad.She was pretty good though.

alanis m.

Old Dec 30th, 2003, 06:44 PM   #11
country flag Rising Sun

Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future
Yeah, Maricris Fernandez did quite well in the short amount of time she played on tour. What a pity she retired so early.

I do hope she makes some sort of comeback on day, but I doubt it.

Last I heard, she's studying in the States...
Rising Sun is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 07:02 PM   #12
selesfan1

selesfan1 has a brilliant future selesfan1 has a brilliant future selesfan1 has a brilliant future selesfan1 has a brilliant future selesfan1 has a brilliant future selesfan1 has a brilliant future selesfan1 has a brilliant future selesfan1 has a brilliant future selesfan1 has a brilliant future selesfan1 has a brilliant future selesfan1 has a brilliant future
Another good plyer was/is Marisue Jacutin. She was playing University tennis here in the city where I live and I had the chance to meet her a couple of times. Since then they have cancelled the tennis team at that University and so I don't know whether she transferred to another University or returned to the Phillipines. She was very good for her size ( 5'1 app.) but she gave up to easily. I saw her play a match agaisnt Varvara Lepchenko and she took a set of Varvara and then Varvara started playing better in the third and Marisue just quit , and they way Marisue was playing in the 2nd set she still could have beat Varvara in the third. I spoke to her and it seems that tennis for her was more of a way to get an education in the states rather than make a living or be the best she could be. I will post my interview with her.
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 07:07 PM   #13
selesfan1

selesfan1 has a brilliant future selesfan1 has a brilliant future selesfan1 has a brilliant future selesfan1 has a brilliant future selesfan1 has a brilliant future selesfan1 has a brilliant future selesfan1 has a brilliant future selesfan1 has a brilliant future selesfan1 has a brilliant future selesfan1 has a brilliant future selesfan1 has a brilliant future
Here is an interview I did with her in 2002

These two girls were talking and Amy is sooooooooooooooooo cute she looks so cute like Amy frazier. Before I interviewed Marisue was telling Amy I had a coach and he was A Brazilian guy(does anyone know who?) who coached Amanda Coetzer and he was sick he mad me run like at 11 at night and he would scream he wouldn't let my friends see me or I couldn't even talk on the phone he was sick in the head . I won a tournament once and I told my dad if I continue with him I 'm quitting. after I heard this I thought I have to interview her so I did and here it is.

how long have you been playing professionally?

Marisue: This is my first tournament professionally. I play at oklahoma City University.(this surprised me because she seemed like a good player and here too have a player like this is strange.

Amy: This is also my first but I 'm only playing doubles I play in college.

Are you going to be playing for a long time?

Amy: you never know
Marisue: I'll play a couple of more years if I still enjoy it.

What is the hardest part of playing tennis?

Marisue: I find it weird it seems so hard to me to win a point(laughs) I mean it's hard I can't explain what I feel.when I was younger I just hit the ball back I'm still stick in that but it's not all about power. there's strategy.

In the juniors did you play anyone who plays pro now?

Marisue: Oh a lot I played Mauresmo, Dokic,Dementieva many many people.
Amy: I played Irvin once

Did you travel a lot as juniors?
Marisue: Yeah I did everywhere
Amy: I just stayed in southern California because it's sooooo competitve there
Marisue: I always though wow when I saw americans you have so many tournaments here everyone is good.
Do you think it's friendlier here because here everyone talks to each other in the top 100 it seems they don't?
Marisue: Believe me they do talk
Amy : I talk to the players here.

Do you think the tennis scene in asia is better now?
Marisue: definently it all changed with Kimko Date who was number 4 but Angelique will definently help top 20 at least.

Thanks girls can I get a picture?

sure Amy crouches down because she's much taller than Marisue

Marisue is coached by Tim Shannahan an Aussie who coaches here. Marisue is staying with him and his wife as well as working with him at a local club.
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 07:21 PM   #14
QUEENLINDSAY

QUEENLINDSAY has a brilliant future QUEENLINDSAY has a brilliant future QUEENLINDSAY has a brilliant future QUEENLINDSAY has a brilliant future QUEENLINDSAY has a brilliant future QUEENLINDSAY has a brilliant future QUEENLINDSAY has a brilliant future QUEENLINDSAY has a brilliant future QUEENLINDSAY has a brilliant future QUEENLINDSAY has a brilliant future QUEENLINDSAY has a brilliant future
Tennis in the Philippines is not that popular because its expensive to play it compare to its standard of living. You can count how many courts they have in Manila, I think only selected schools has it and few high class subdivisions.

Monica,Kim,Jelena
QUEENLINDSAY is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 07:44 PM   #15

Jacutin is from my hometown. She's a very very small gal. My coach told me stories about how small she was and that she likes playing against boys.

alanis m.