kathy jordan love foundation - Page 9 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 16th, 2009, 10:03 AM   #121
country flag iainmac

iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold
Re: kathy jordan love foundation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
Evert was knocked for being mechanical too in her young years. Austin was all of 18 when the first injury hit. Perhaps you are right, but we'll never know for sure how much of Tracy's probs were bad mechanics, hereditary (her sciatica), or just pure bad luck.
RolloWell said. The tragedy of it all was that Austin was never able to develop as a player and show a different aspect to her game. I also agree that at times when we look for example at Evert in 71-74 there is a degree of rigidity to her game. And a poor serve that was no better than that of Austin.
iainmac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 16th, 2009, 10:05 AM   #122
country flag iainmac

iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan View Post
I think Kathy Jordan only made her Wimbledon debut in 1979.
That is right Declan- she got to the last 16 and took Goolagong to three sets.
iainmac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2011, 04:07 AM   #123
country flag daze11

daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold

bump.

you know, before iainmac subverted this into a "lets pretend tracy austin mattered" discussion, this thread was pretty entertaining!! A great first 6 pages...
daze11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 09:26 PM   #124
country flag Sumarokov-Elston

Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all

The funny thing is that if Kathy Jordan were playing today, she would be hailed as the best thing to happen to women's tennis in the last twenty years, and she would have myriads of fans on this site for her "classical" serve+volley game, sliced backhand approach shot, unorthodox forehand...

With hindsight I think it was good that she cared nothing for the "Chris-Martina world order" (rather like Hana), though I detested her lack of respect at the time, and always feared very much when she was in Chris's side of the draw in any tournament on fast courts. Luckily, there was quite often a meet-up before she could reach that stage with Kathy Rinaldi, who really knew how to kick Jordan's ass. How I used to savour the one-sided "battle of the Kathies"!

Maybe Kathy Jordan could be invited to post on this forum???
Sumarokov-Elston is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 11:01 PM   #125
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Maybe Kathy Jordan could be invited to post on this forum???
Please do! KJ always struck me as a very intelligent person who would be a joy to have on the boards
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 11:38 PM   #126
country flag DennisFitz

DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all

Forgot about all the "love" for KJ (and for Austin from Ian).

The other day I was watching a young guy with a big Western forehand. He tried hitting some volleys, but kept flubbing them (of course). The way he was swinging at the FH volleys reminded me of Jordan. Which made me think she must have switched her grip when she volleyed. She had a great BH volley, and overall was a great volleyer. I find it hard to believe she'd keep the frying pan grip while volleying.

I met KJ briefly years ago. She had her baby with her. And I believe for a time she worked for CA Sen. Dianne Feinstein. But I don't think so any more.
DennisFitz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 11:17 AM   #127
country flag Sumarokov-Elston

Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all

I was watching the 1971 US Open semi-final between BJK and CME last night, and Billie Jean King seemed to remind me of someone else.... very studied service action, throwing herself into the ball, scowling a lot, very intense but also very much on edge, gurning at questionable calls from the umpire, junking it up as much as she could, especially slicing it up on the forehand side... Yes, it was Kathy Jordan! I wonder if Kathy's coach made her watch this match before her 1983 encounter with Evert ("How to beat Chris Evert on grass")??
Sumarokov-Elston is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 03:55 PM   #128
country flag newmark401

newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all

Both of these reports are from "The Times" of London, Saturday, June 25, 1983:

"Wimbledon: The woman they banked on goes bust

"The great crash: Lloyd's liquidation

"By Rex Bellamy

"One of the most remarkably consistent success stories in tennis came to an end yesterday when Chris Lloyd was beaten by Kathy Jordan. Mrs Lloyd is unique in that, from 1971 to 1983, she contested 34 grand slam championships and, in every one, was never beaten before the semi-final round. We had begun to take her for granted.

"The startling thing was that when the guillotine came down the executioner was a woman who had not taken a set from Mrs Lloyd in their previous five matches. For the record, the grand slam singles in which Mrs Lloyd always reached the semi-finals were eight French, 11 Wimbledon, 12 United States and 3 Australian Championships. In the process she won 15 titles, was runner-up on nine other occasions and lost 10 times in the semi-final round.

"That extraordinary sequence was not the only one that came to an end yesterday. As holder of the US, Australian and French Championships, Mrs Lloyd needed the Wimbledon title to achieve a Grand Slam. Maureen Connolly and Margaret Court are the only women who have done that. Mrs Lloyd's disappointment was therefore two-edged.

"But for two reasons her record remains without parallel. No other woman has advanced with such unswerving regularity to the last four of the singles every year for 10 consecutive years. That last record is one on which Mrs Lloyd, as French champion, can still build."
--

"Jordan flows like a river

"By Geoffrey Green

"Too much of a good thing is wonderful, said Mae West on a memorable occasion. And I doubt if poor Mrs Lloyd, champion three times in eight past finals, would agree to this as she bowed surprisingly to her unseeded American compatriot, Miss Kathy Jordan, 6-1, 7-6, on a crowded Court Number One yesterday.

"So, in an hour and 38 minutes came the first major upheaval among the ladies. It is always sad to witness the demise of a universal champion and one, morevoer, universally admired. Bang, once again, went Mrs Lloyd's attempt to pull off the grand slam and her departure now leaves a hole in the wilderness. [...]

"Yet sympathy for the loser should not for a moment be allowed to cloud Miss Jordan's fine achievement in this blissful contest. It had a full gallery tongue-tied and spellbound for long stretches as the battle swayed back and forth and the players produced all the strokes.

"Basically, Miss Jordan matched the flat two-fisted backhand and forehand driving of her opponent with persistently sliced, cleverly-angled replies. Mrs Lloyd often had to counter this with measured lobs as lengthy rallies unwound.

"But Miss Jordan, nimble and agile, had her own trading strength. A Wimbledon doubles finalist for the past three years, her volleying proved a key factor. Some of these she put away viciously, as if swatting flies, contrasting this with some delicate stop-volleys which pulled Mrs Lloyd off her baseline.

"The scoring, in many ways, provided a tangled mass of figures. Miss Jordan, fit as any up-and-coming daisy, began like a breeze, moving with breaks to 1-0 and 4-1, then to 6-1 in a welter of rallies that led to eight deuces. Three clear service aces also strengthened her hand as Mrs Lloyd, looking distinctly out of sorts, bowed to the goddess of pace.

"Miss Jordan, at 0-40, glaringly missed a smash to lose her opening service of the second set and dropped service again to 0-3. Mrs Lloyd then hoisted two delicious lobs to go to 4-0, and it seemed that the match was on the turn.

"But we were wrong. Breaking back to 2-4, Miss Jordan recovered to 4-5 in the course of which a cross-court dink brought such a roar as to wake a baby. Breaking to love again for 5-5, soon it was 6-5, 6-6 and the inevitable tie-break. Here Miss Jordan's spring-heeled volleying took her to 7-2 and victory.

"The match had run away like sand through poor Mrs Lloyd's fingers. Miss Jordan has spread her game like opening an old chest full of spices, yellowed love letters and summer dresses."
-----

Last edited by newmark401 : Jul 21st, 2011 at 04:25 PM.
newmark401 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2013, 04:24 PM   #129
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Bump up for the KJ thread
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote