kathy jordan love foundation - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 29th, 2009, 03:42 PM   #31
country flag daze11

daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold
Re: kathy jordan love foundation

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmac View Post
DazeAnd to give Jordan credit what about 84 Eastbourne? That was the best tennis I have ever seen a man or woman play in winds that were almost storm like. That was the best I ever saw Kathy play.
i never saw that!! i have been fascinated by it for years because how COULD she beat chris AGAIN on grass, just a year after the upset?? it seemes like a freak of nature... sounds like they played in conditions that were a freak of nature!!!
daze11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 29th, 2009, 04:08 PM   #32
country flag iainmac

iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by daze11 View Post
i never saw that!! i have been fascinated by it for years because how COULD she beat chris AGAIN on grass, just a year after the upset?? it seemes like a freak of nature... sounds like they played in conditions that were a freak of nature!!!
DazeThe weather was unbelievably strong re the winds. But Jordan was brilliant and dominated Chrissie. You will remember Dan Maskell, a man to be respected.He said it was the best tennis he had ever seen from a female player in conditons so adverse. Jordan was amazing that day- Evert couldnt even really get started.
iainmac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2009, 07:12 PM   #33
country flag HanaFanGA

HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumarokov-Elston View Post
I always detested Kathy Jordan! The sour expression on her face, the horrible groundstrokes and the way she always seemed to be covered in straps, as if she was going to fall apart at any minute. What I hated most of all about her, though, was her service action. She seemed to take forever and a day, and I used to always pray that she would get her first serve in, cos she seemed to take even longer with her second serve! She would bounce the ball about twenty times, bending lower and lower until her nose was almost on the ground, then jerk herself up with a creaking action that you could almost hear, emitting a grunting noise as she did so. Can you imagine watching a match between her and that other slow server, Sylvia Hanika?

This will mean nothing to you all, but KJ's service action and the slight whine she made when she delivered it always reminded me of Ms. Minnie Boyd's screen door. I loved Ms. Minnie. She threw a mean fish fry from the catch she regular made sitting on a bucket with her can pole in hand. And she made the most awesome home made cole slaw, tomato gravy, and cheese grits to go with everything.

But KJ was a bit harder to love. However, I did respect her. Because of her good court sense and competitive spirit, she was probably one of those names that the top players sought out when they looked at their draw.

Her frying pan forehand grip made my head hurt trying to figure out how she hit the ball and could control it. Thankfully she didn't marry Alberto Berasetegui. Can you imagine the forehand their kids would've had?
Old Nov 4th, 2009, 11:52 PM   #34
tennisvideos
Love the Legends of Tennis

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute

Kathy Jordan - well what can I say except I LOVED her crazy style - I do love the unorthodox ones (Frankie Durr, Beverly Baker-Fleitz, Gail Chanfreau, Lea Pericoli, Fabrice Santoro etc). And Jordan was the greatest unorthodox player of recent generations. What incredible reflexes in doubles. Amazing. Shame she was so sour on court or I would have taken to her more.

It took me years to learn the Durr backhand and for it to become an effective part of my arsenal. I think it would have taken me decades to learn the Jordan backhand!
60s/70s: Evonne Goolagong .. Francoise Durr .. Chris Evert .. Margaret Court .. Nancy Richey .. Maria Bueno .. Billie-Jean King .. Lesley Turner .. Virginia Wade .. Ken Rosewall .. Rod Laver .. Bjorn Borg ..
Entertainers: .. Diana Ross .. Dionne Warwick .. Shirley Bassey .. Randy Crawford .. Burt Bacharach .. ABBA .. Woody Allen .. Maggie Smith .. Gena Rowlands .. Judy Davis .. Heath Ledger .. Little Britain ..
Inspiration: .. Jeshua Ben Josepth .. Conversations with God .. Abraham with Esther & Jerry Hicks .. P'taah ..
tennisvideos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2009, 01:06 AM   #35
country flag preacherfan

preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all

Interesting Jordan moment: Remember in 1985, Andrea Jaeger had been out of the game for over a year and came back at the USO. Interesting draw placed floaters Kathy Jordan and Jaeger in a second round matchup after both won tough 3-setters against Mesker and Arraya-Gildemeister. Jaeger took the first set off of Jordan before Kathy won the next two 2 and 2. I remember a Jaeger clip where she yelled out something like "Did you miss me?" to the crowd. Kathy seemed annoyed. Kathy made the 4th round before losing a tough one to Mandlikova.
Old Nov 5th, 2009, 09:30 AM   #36
country flag iainmac

iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanaFanGA View Post
This will mean nothing to you all, but KJ's service action and the slight whine she made when she delivered it always reminded me of Ms. Minnie Boyd's screen door. I loved Ms. Minnie. She threw a mean fish fry from the catch she regular made sitting on a bucket with her can pole in hand. And she made the most awesome home made cole slaw, tomato gravy, and cheese grits to go with everything.

But KJ was a bit harder to love. However, I did respect her. Because of her good court sense and competitive spirit, she was probably one of those names that the top players sought out when they looked at their draw.

Her frying pan forehand grip made my head hurt trying to figure out how she hit the ball and could control it. Thankfully she didn't marry Alberto Berasetegui. Can you imagine the forehand their kids would've had?
Mrs Boyd sounds a real good lady to know for some fine food!!!I know I often thought that Kathy had the oddest grips ever and yes it was so difficult to imagine how she managed to survive at the highest levels. I would be very surprised if she has not sustained serious injury in later life due to her odd style.
Old Nov 5th, 2009, 09:32 AM   #37
country flag iainmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisvideos View Post
Kathy Jordan - well what can I say except I LOVED her crazy style - I do love the unorthodox ones (Frankie Durr, Beverly Baker-Fleitz, Gail Chanfreau, Lea Pericoli, Fabrice Santoro etc). And Jordan was the greatest unorthodox player of recent generations. What incredible reflexes in doubles. Amazing. Shame she was so sour on court or I would have taken to her more.

It took me years to learn the Durr backhand and for it to become an effective part of my arsenal. I think it would have taken me decades to learn the Jordan backhand!
CraigWhat a great and ecletic list of players. I would love to see Pericoli in action. Also it would be worth the trip to Oz just to see your Durr style backhand!!!!
Old Nov 5th, 2009, 09:34 AM   #38
country flag iainmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by preacherfan View Post
Interesting Jordan moment: Remember in 1985, Andrea Jaeger had been out of the game for over a year and came back at the USO. Interesting draw placed floaters Kathy Jordan and Jaeger in a second round matchup after both won tough 3-setters against Mesker and Arraya-Gildemeister. Jaeger took the first set off of Jordan before Kathy won the next two 2 and 2. I remember a Jaeger clip where she yelled out something like "Did you miss me?" to the crowd. Kathy seemed annoyed. Kathy made the 4th round before losing a tough one to Mandlikova.
That is an interesting moment. I hadnt realised they had played at the Open in 85. I cant imagine somehow that Jordan would have beaten Jaeger in the early 80s but then she was a nuiscance at times to Austin and Evert so maybe. I just think that Jaeger would have been all over the court at her best against Jordan and the latter wouldnt have coped. Did they play much when Jaeger was at her peak?
Old Nov 5th, 2009, 11:47 AM   #39
tennisvideos

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
CraigWhat a great and ecletic list of players. I would love to see Pericoli in action. Also it would be worth the trip to Oz just to see your Durr style backhand!!!!
Here is a glimpse of my Durr backhand - almost like the pic in my avatar - LOL. As camp as it looks, it has reduced many butch and aggressive A Grade men to despair in Sydney and surrounds over the years. The looks on their faces when they rush the net to see a soft angled Durr poke passing them by at snail pace is priceless!

While I am at it its a good chance to advertise the Frankie Durr photo thread:
http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=15175

60s/70s: Evonne Goolagong .. Francoise Durr .. Chris Evert .. Margaret Court .. Nancy Richey .. Maria Bueno .. Billie-Jean King .. Lesley Turner .. Virginia Wade .. Ken Rosewall .. Rod Laver .. Bjorn Borg ..
Entertainers: .. Diana Ross .. Dionne Warwick .. Shirley Bassey .. Randy Crawford .. Burt Bacharach .. ABBA .. Woody Allen .. Maggie Smith .. Gena Rowlands .. Judy Davis .. Heath Ledger .. Little Britain ..
Inspiration: .. Jeshua Ben Josepth .. Conversations with God .. Abraham with Esther & Jerry Hicks .. P'taah ..

Last edited by tennisvideos : Nov 5th, 2009 at 01:03 PM.
Old Nov 5th, 2009, 12:55 PM   #40
tennisvideos

One of my favourite all time doubles matches would have to be Jordan/Smylie upsetting Navratilova/Shriver in that thrilling Doubles Final. Just sensational tennis.
Old Nov 5th, 2009, 03:13 PM   #41
country flag preacherfan

preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all

Quote:
:I know I often thought that Kathy had the oddest grips ever and yes it was so difficult to imagine how she managed to survive at the highest levels. I would be very surprised if she has not sustained serious injury in later life due to her odd style.
I remember when Kathy retired, she said that she did so due to constant injury. I don't think it was just because of her unorthodox style, but also because she relied so much on pure athleticism to leap, lunge and dive after balls.
Old Nov 5th, 2009, 03:23 PM   #42
country flag iainmac

Quote:
Here is a glimpse of my Durr backhand - almost like the pic in my avatar - LOL. As camp as it looks, it has reduced many butch and aggressive A Grade men to despair in Sydney and surrounds over the years. The looks on their faces when they rush the net to see a soft angled Durr poke passing them by at snail pace is priceless!

While I am at it its a good chance to advertise the Frankie Durr photo thread:
http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=15175

Craig, I think that is ace and your style is very Durr. I am a bit more like Santoro or Rochus so I say the next time I am in Oz and you are in Britain we chave a game. That would be cool. And the Durr style is unique and effective!!!
Old Nov 5th, 2009, 03:24 PM   #43
country flag iainmac

Quote:
One of my favourite all time doubles matches would have to be Jordan/Smylie upsetting Navratilova/Shriver in that thrilling Doubles Final. Just sensational tennis.
It was a memorable final wasnt it fella? I just remember the blistering power of the Smylie forehand in that final set. Much is said re the forehands of Barker, Ruzici,Graf etc. But boy could Smylie go when she was on form!!!
Old Nov 5th, 2009, 03:26 PM   #44
country flag iainmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by preacherfan View Post
I remember when Kathy retired, she said that she did so due to constant injury. I don't think it was just because of her unorthodox style, but also because she relied so much on pure athleticism to leap, lunge and dive after balls.
Thanks for the info re that. I am sure it was a combination of her tireless game but also the injuries must have been related to her style of play. I do think though that the likes of her and Potter were far more interesting as players than the thump the ball as hard as you can and grunt East Europeans of today!!!!
Old Nov 5th, 2009, 07:54 PM   #45
country flag Ricksasha

Ricksasha is just really nice Ricksasha is just really nice Ricksasha is just really nice Ricksasha is just really nice Ricksasha is just really nice Ricksasha is just really nice Ricksasha is just really nice Ricksasha is just really nice Ricksasha is just really nice Ricksasha is just really nice Ricksasha is just really nice

I do have to give Jordan some props here, in that she was one
hell of a great doubles player. Fast hands, lightning quick reflexes,
and had very solid volleys. It's just so tough for be to appreciate
a player who did not appreciate my idol, Chris Evert, probably
even looked down on her.

The 1985 Wimbledon Doubles final is truly, one of the greatest
doubles matches ever played.

"I started playing tennis when I was 4, but I didnt start playing seriously until I was 8." Kathy Rinaldi
Ricksasha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote