Tennis Forum banner

Vero Cepede Royg

68K views 786 replies 36 participants last post by  LegionArgentina 
#1 · (Edited)
VERONICA CEPEDE ROYG

Birth Date: 21 January 1992
Birth Place: Asunción, Paraguay
Residence: Asunción, Paraguay
Plays: Right Handed (Double Handed Backhand)
Favourite Surface: Clay
Coach: Alfredo De Beix
Age Started Tennis: 5
Hobbies: TV, Internet
Favourite players: Federer, Sharapova
Ambition in tennis: WTA top 10

Career ITF Titles: 1
Current WTA Ranking: 1001
Highest WTA Ranking: 823
Career Junior Titles: 4 (7 Doubles)
Current Junior Ranking: 34
Highest Junior Ranking: 15

Best 5 Victories:
#165 Catalina Castano 2-6 6-2 6-3 - Fed Cup 2009
#372 Nathalia Rossi 6-0 6-3 - $10K Bauru 2009
#435 Roxane Vaisemberg 4-6 7-6(2) 6-3 - Fed Cup 2009
#439 Vivian Segnini 6-0 6-3 - $10K Bauru 2009
#448 Emilia Yorio 6-2 6-2 - $10K Bauru 2009

17-year-old Veronica Cepede is the first Paraguayan woman since Rossana de los Rios to reach the final of a WTA or ITF tournament!
She will play the final of $10,000 Bauru in Brazil tomorrow against Brazilian Vivian Segnini. :D

Veronica is a very sweet and humble girl and a very gifted tennis player. She can generate a solid amount of power, a great forehand and good mental strength too, and although she can become frustrated with herself, this sometimes works for her. She has been as high as #12 in juniors. Her best win to date was over Catalina Castano at Fed Cup this year. :)

Currently ranked 1000, but this is just her second tournament of the year.

Her path to the final this week:
Final: Cepede Royg vs. Vivian Segnini(4)
Semifinal: Cepede Royg def. Emilia Yorio(5) 62 62
Quarterfinal: Cepede Royg def. Fernanda Faria 60 60
Second Round: Cepede Royg def. Nathalia Rossi(1) 60 63
First Round: Cepede Royg def. Andressa Garcia 36 63 63

Great to see a Paraguayan coming up the rankings!!

A recent photo of Veronica with Zsofia Susanyi, Noppawan Lertcheewakarn and Elena Bogdan at the Junior US Open this year.

Good luck in your WTA career Veronica! :worship: :D

See less See more
#184 ·
Great news is she is officially a top 200 player now! Cracked it last week at 199. Congrats Vero! :worship:

Bad news is that she lost to Jana Cepelova 6-4 6-2 in $25K Irapuato today. It's her first first round loss (other than the Q1 loss in Monterrey) since $10K Sao Paolo in 2010. :sad:

Her hardcourt form is rather concerning. Straight sets losses to Naydenova and Cepelova doesn't give a good outlook for competing fulltime on the tour, where hardcourts comprise the majority of WTA tournaments. Still, hope she keeps up the great attitude and finds some form next week.

#186 ·
#199 :yeah:

Hopefully the more she plays on hardcourts the better she'll get :) She looks to be in prime position for making the French Q 's, maybe even the Wimby Q's :cool: It'll be interesting to see how her game stacks up on grass ;) I wonder if there are any grass courts in Paraguay ? :p
I don't think so :lol:

Just read that Veronica has been invited to play the 2012 London Olympic Games! Unbeliveable! :bolt: Only 2 wildcards were awarded (officially called a "Tripartite Commission Invitation"), the other being Stephanie Vogt from Liechtenstein. What a phenomenal honour that is! :bigclap: :D Definitely will be a highlight of her early career.

She said 2 years ago that her goal was the play the games, and many doubted she would be able to get there. Well, regardless of her ranking it looks like she's going to be there :D She must be really happy about that!

Fairly average year so far but it's still early days, she's playing $25K Rosario next week in Argentina. Good luck :)

#187 ·
Re: Vero Cepede Royg - Olympic Athlete to be!

If I remember correctly, Rossana also got a WC for the 2000 Sydney Olympics. She did pretty well, beat Peschke 6-3 6-0 then top seed Lindsay Davenport (w/o ;) ) but lost to Dokic 7-6(5) 7-5.

#188 ·

Interview with Veronica this week in Rosario, where she is in the Quarterfinals. :hearts: Talks about the Olympics, support from Paraguayan tennis association, sponsors, Ana Sofia Sanchez etc.

She really carries herself so well in interviews, seems really relaxed, down to earth and sure of herself. Let's hope she gets her first title of the year this week in Rosario! Pretty good route to the final.

#190 ·

Vero's having her breakthrough week in Roland Garros qualies! She's playing her first grand slam and won yesterday 4-6 6-3 6-4 over Dariya Kustova! She was so happy and excited after the match!

Right now against Camerin, she led 5-2 and only converted 2/9 break points, but she just won the first set 7-6(2)!!

Keep going Vero!!

#191 ·

She did it! :cheer: 7-6 6-2! Onto the final round of qualies now!

50 points :drool: Should see her into the top 175 now :D

Good luck against Chan! Nothing to lose.

#194 ·

Good win today over 7th seed Domachowska 7-6(3) 6-3 in $25K Zlin. She led 5-3 in the second yesterday before rain stopped play, so good effort to close it out this morning. Next up will probably be veteran Annalisa Bona, winnable match. :D

Playing doubles with Teilana Pereira, they should be a strong combination.

#198 ·
Really? She was being overhit by Chan? Normally I thought she had good power :awww: Yeah, she can get pretty fired up :lol: Thanks for your insight!

She won today over Bona 63 16 61. :yeah: Next is Castano who she beat in Fed Cup 4 years ago...wish it was the final :(

#200 ·
Why isn't she playing challengers in Nothingamm on grass or at least trying qualies in Birmingham? She should prepare for the Olympics.

#201 ·
I thought she should be doing the same thing. She's only played grass on junior level, kinda different to the Olympic Games! I guess she's thinking about her long term ranking and trying to gain points. But these losses must hurt her a lot, though she always maintains a positive attitude.

#204 ·
Well Vero is now in New York training for the US Open! Let's hope she gets a good draw!
To be honest, her fight against Lepchenko at the Olympics was fantastic.
Lepchenko is one of the top 40 in-form players of the moment, it was a great scoreline. :hug:

Unfortunately her ranking has plummeted from 172 -> 219 in the last two months, lower than the start of the year. :sobbing:
Really hope she gets some wins in New York and jumps back in the top 200! :rocker2:
Still quite a lot more to defend this year :unsure:

She says she's always training hard, so hopefully some good results are coming.

#205 ·
Great start! 4-6 6-3 6-3 win over Molinero! Her first Grand Slam win on hardcourt :D
She was down 3-0 in the final set and came back strongly :eek:
It must have been really difficult to play her friend and training partner for this week. And it makes up for her 0-6 7-6(8) 6-4 loss to Flor at home last year. Excellent effort :)

Next is Kostova who beat Torro-Flor. Vero can definitely win that, hopefully she plays well! Vamos!

#207 ·
After such promising performances at the French Open qualies, Olympics and US Open qualies, she has really struggled on the ITF circuit this year.

$25K Redding:
1R: (2)Veronica Cepede Royg d. Klara Fabikova 57 75 76(2)
2R: (Q)Katie Le d. (2)Veronica Cepede Royg 62 64

1R: (1)Cepede Royg/Molinero d. Durisic/Ferris 26 76(2) 10-7
2R: Bhargava/Krywacz d. (1)Cepede Royg/Molinero 46 62 10-5

:help:

Please play better in Albuquerque :hug:

#208 ·
Just won her first title of the year at none other than the most important Paraguayan tournament! :cheer:

1R def. Hermoso 6-2 6-0
2R def. Pella(Q) 7-6(5) 6-1
QF def. Molinero(5) 6-3 7-6(4)
SF def. Pereira(2) 6-3 6-4
F def. Olaru(8) 5-7 7-6(7) 6-2

Saved 2 championship points in the tiebreak! She cried after she won. Was helped by some tremendous crowd support. :D

"Estoy super feliz. Estuve luchando a muerte para no perder. La gente me levantó el ánimo con esos dos puntitos que estuve a punto de perder.”
"I'm super happy. I was fighting to the death not to lose. The crowd cheered me on during those two points that I was about to lose."

Dedicated the title to her parents who "are behind me every day, and my team who are the people supporting me every day." :yeah: :hug:

I think she'll play $25K Santiago in December to defend her title there, then hopefully will head to Australia for the first time next year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.