2009-2010 College season - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 25th, 2009, 02:42 AM   #16
country flag fantic

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2009-2010 College season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
I think part of Stanford's problem has been two fold: 1) the increasing strength of other college teams and 2) a relatively weak senior and sophomore class.

The senior class was to consist of Vania King in addition to Burdette. And their sophomore class really performed lower than Stanford freshman average especially since they played the lower three spots.
oh, King was to go to Stanford! didn't know that. And yes, I guess so, Stanford's lower positions were relatively weak..but I guess it's changed now, since younger Burdette and Tan came. And next year's Ahn, wow.
"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
Nil admirari (never enthuse over things).
- Horace, Epistles
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 25th, 2009, 07:23 AM   #17
country flag fantic

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

I'm also interested in Texas, I've seen them play against Pepperdine and California via internet at the NCAA,
and also have seen some players at WAATC. Ah, I've also seen Maggie Mello at Riviera Summer Circuit.
Corovic, Craddock, Damico, Larsson, Mello, Ellis..not a bad lineup. I like Larsson, and Ellis did REALLY well at WAATC.
Embree, Will, Lao, Ellis those Freshmen 4 really made an impact there.
We can add also Colffer of Pepperdine, who did well at SW R (I guess Pepperdine has bright future, too. Bhargava, Walters, Oates, Colffer..). Dunno other region's freshmen players, though.
"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles
Old Dec 27th, 2009, 04:21 AM   #18
country flag fantic

player to watch; Denise Muresan of UoM

swept ASU's core lineup(Brycki, Hein, Abdala, McKenna) to win the ASU invite,

and also defeated Lauren Lui before falling to Mosolova.

I see that she was #3 last season, and in that position during 2 seasons duals result is
19-2..

here is her results at Big 10 championship final last season;

3. #44 Samantha Murray (NU) vs. Denise Muresan (MICH) 4-6, 3-3, unfinished
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles

Last edited by fantic : Dec 29th, 2009 at 10:38 AM.
Old Dec 27th, 2009, 06:14 AM   #19
country flag fantic

player to watch;

Kristina Nedeltcheva of UNLV, one of my 'finds' at WAATC.
One of the TWO players who've beaten Allie Will at that tourney (need I say more? Will defeated Barte, and had a close game against Gullickson).

another catch was Kayla Duncan of TCU, who defeated Walters, Fraser, Molnar, Seuss, and who almost won the match against Marks at WAATC, and she also won against Ormond & Craddock
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles
Old Dec 29th, 2009, 06:59 AM   #20
country flag fantic

ITA kick-off weekend 1vs 4, 2vs3

1. Duke
2. Wake Forest
3. VCU
4. Yale
---
1. Northwestern
2. Denver
3. Princeton
4. Old Dominion
---
1. Georgia**
2. Georgia State
3. William & Mary
4. Virginia Tech
---
1. California
2. Sacramento State
3. Colorado
4. Utah
---
1. Notre Dame
2. North Carolina
3. Boise State
4. DePaul
---
1. Baylor**
2. Brown
3. Nevada
4. Harvard
---
1. Miami (FL)
2. South Alabama
3. Mississippi State
4. Boston University
---
1. Georgia Tech
2. Kentucky
3. Alabama
4. Arizona State
---
1. USC **
2. LSU
3. Auburn
4. San Diego
---
1. Tennessee**
2. Vanderbilt
3. TCU
4. Texas
---
1. Clemson
2. Mississippi
3. Illinois
4. Texas A&M
---
1. UCLA**
2. Tulsa
3. Pepperdine
4. UNLV
---
1. Florida **
2. SMU
3. FIU
4. BYU
---
1. Arkansas
2. South Carolina
3. Michigan
4. Washington
---
1. Fresno State
2. Florida State
3. Virginia
4. Ohio State

I want to watch Schnack vs Nedeltcheva
So I guess I'll 'abandon' my home team's opening game... Oh..I do want to watch Coupez play, though
nah, it can wait till next day, Chifchieva vs USC #1 would also be interesting..
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles
Old Dec 29th, 2009, 07:05 AM   #21
country flag fantic

from the ITA website;

'The 15 schools that win both of their matches at these events will be invited to play in the Feb. 12-15 ITA National Team Indoor Championships at the Nielsen Tennis Stadium (hosted by the Univ. of Wisconsin).'

wait,,what happened to Stanford?

anyway so the participants 'might' be...Duke, NU, GA, CAL, ND(wow this group has UNC and Boise St..and isn't Redecsi playing for DePaul), BU, MIAMI, GT(ASU..can they make it?), USC, TENN(Texas?), CU(OLE MISS?), UCLA, UF, UW(USC, ARK, MICH..this group is TOUGH), Fresno St?(Florida St?)
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles

Last edited by fantic : Dec 30th, 2009 at 04:35 PM.
Old Dec 29th, 2009, 08:59 PM   #22
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all

Fantic I would call it "Riviera" instead of "WAATC" if you want people to know what you're talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantic View Post
ITA kick-off weekend 1vs 4, 2vs3

1. Duke
2. Wake Forest
3. VCU
4. Yale
---
1. Northwestern
2. Denver
3. Princeton
4. Old Dominion
---
1. Baylor**
2. Brown
3. Nevada
4. Harvard
---
1. Miami (FL)
2. South Alabama
3. Mississippi State
4. Boston University
---
1. USC **
2. LSU
3. Auburn
4. San Diego
---
1. Tennessee**
2. Vanderbilt
3. TCU
4. Texas
---
1. Clemson
2. Mississippi
3. Illinois
4. Texas A&M
---
1. Florida **
2. SMU
3. FIU
4. BYU
---
1. Arkansas
2. South Carolina
3. Michigan
4. Washington
---
1. Fresno State
2. Florida State
3. Virginia
4. Ohio State

Chifchieva vs USC #1 would also be interesting..
What makes you think Auburn will beat LSU?

Opening round

- I won't be surprised if Ohio St. beats Fresno St. in the opening round.

- Duke vs Yale with new additions Elizabeth Epstein, Sarah Guzick and Stephanie Kent will be interesting.

- Baylor vs Harvard with new additions Hideko Tachibana, Kristin Norton, Sophie Chang and Alexandra Lehman will be interesting.

- It will be interesting to see if Denver and South Alabama will be able to field a full lineup of 6 players.

Advancing

- Fresno St. will not advance. They may be fighting to get an NCAA at-large this season.

- TCU with new additions Megan Alexander and Shalini Sahoo is my dark horse to advance from the TN location.

- Others capable of pulling upsets and advancing are Illinois and Michigan.

- Florida will not have a bye against SMU who adds 3 foreigners to reinforce Marta Lesniak and Aleksandra Malyarchikova. I'm predicting SMU to crack the top 16 and host a regional this season.

Last edited by gouci : Dec 29th, 2009 at 10:52 PM.
gouci is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 12:39 AM   #23
country flag fantic

:Well I thought fans coming HERE would know what WAATC means
And you're right, no guarantee Auburn will beat LSU, just wanted to watch Chifchieva vs USC #1 matchup

And, yes, Fresno St. is much weaker this season, with Gloria, Rowe out..

I have absolutely NO idea of new recruits (just saw NCAA & WAATC!, that's all), so no comment

although I saw Sophie Chang at Riviera summer circuit.

Marta Lesniak of SMU REALLY harassed Mijacika at NCAA, but the doubles weren't that impressive.
I'll still wager my 10 cents that UF will advance

Nearly EVERY top teams last season suffered losses, so if your prediction about newcomers are correct, it'll be REALLY interesting..

(and again, what happened to Stanford? Are they not participating?)
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 03:06 AM   #24
country flag fantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantic View Post
Hilary Barte.

Stanford #1. Worthy successor of Amber Liu. Small but really powerful, beautiful form..
it's quite a mystery that she hasn't been to elite 8 in any of those 3 major individual tournies (WAATC, Indoors, NCAA. Actually
after Lindsay Burdette in her freshman year no Stanford player has made it)

Size is definitely not an issue here. Were McDowell, Vallverdu, Cecil, Falconi, Chan, Dy big players? Nope.

it's really time that she makes it...I'm not talking about doubles, she already made it to the top at last NCAA and this Indoors with
Burdette, I'm talking about singles.

So NCAA's prominent issue may be her.. (lost to Boontra at the last NCAA)

She should be REALLY motivated..
Barte lost to..

Rose at 08 WAATC
Fink at Ojai (Pac-10 Championship)
Boonstra at NCAA
Will at 09 WAATC
Dy at 09 Indoors

Most of them are bigger players, and Fink, Boonstra & Will have good defence..

maybe the 'bigger shield' is effective against 'small lance' (Barte is VERY powerful and QUITE aggressive)

Juricova, to whom Barte is a nemesis, is big but not necessary good at defence..I think.

If Barte stays next year, I'll match Christian against her.. (and Burdette vs Sanchez, similar size, although I dunno B's style..saw her play doubles at WAATC but wasn't impressed..)
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles

Last edited by fantic : Dec 30th, 2009 at 04:39 PM.
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 03:21 AM   #25
country flag fantic

I dunno if I should post this at this thread;

at WAATC (Riviera);

Megan Fudge vs Alexandra Poorta

Fudge was a high-ranked player who I haven't seen at the NCAA, so I was quite curious about her style.
Her play at doubles wasn't bad either.

But I..didn't know they both were one of a kind...

I knew what to expect from Poorta, having been present at WCC last season, but Fudge..
was even MORE defensive-minded than P, if that is possible

Poorta actually was the more offensive one!

So NATURALLY the tempo was 'excruciatingly' slow, so I had to leave to watch other games..

I also noticed Juricova's match was pretty slow...she just doesn't hurry at all during intervals

When she's not serving, after each point, she 'kindly' collects all the balls around and gives it back to the opponent,
in slow motion
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 03:33 AM   #26
country flag fantic

elite 8 of 2 individual tourneys are (I put the winner of Q first, like Falconi def. Whoriskey so put in that order)

Falconi Whoriskey Chan Cossou Juricova Embree Gullickson Will

Dy Petukhova Juricova Thongdach Broosova Cossou Falconi Chan

Quite a big change from last season.

Falconi, Chan, Cossou, Juricova advanced to elite 8 in BOTH tourneys

I guess Falconi, Juricova, Gullickson are the current 'triumvirate'

And Mosolova's 4 consecutive elite 8 appearance stopped at WAATC..by Whoriskey.

If Cossou hadn't lost to Miseviciute at last NCAA, she would've have appeared in elite 8 5 in a row..

(but Cossou's limit might be just that, elite 8..)
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 04:10 AM   #27
country flag fantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by form View Post
ITA Kickoff/Indoors

Stanford, LB, UCI (and BYU as always due to Sunday requirement) all opted not to play this year.

It is my understanding that a solid majority of the west coast coaches dislike this ITA Kickoff format and that there is a proposal to kill this off after the 2011 season. The costs of last flights (not reimbursed) is big for the top schools and all the schools find the match ups are nothing special ... and nobody wants to go to Waco which seems to always be left at the end.

And given the state of the tennis budgets right now (cuts cuts cuts)... a lot of schools really can't afford extra cross country travel right now. They'd prefer to save the money for their spring break 'outdoor' trips where they are less likely to run into bad weather and better prepare for their outdoor season.

Anyway, that's the word I heard. Could be gone after 2011 in it's present format.
yes, I guess cost-wise it must be difficult..thanks for the info!
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 04:27 AM   #28
country flag fantic

also wrote this some time ago..about Cossou (did I post this already?)

I was surprised that Cossou folded so easily against Broosova after defeating
Schnack comfortably.
So conducted a little research..

Cossou lost to..
2009~2010
Broosova def. Cossou 6-2, 6-1
M. Burdette def. Cossou 6-0, 6-4 NW R
Chan def. Cossou 6-4, 7-6(1) WAATC
---
2008~2009
Miseviciute def. Cossou 7-5, 7-5 (NCAA)
No. 38 Kristy Frilling (NDU) def. No. 26 Marina Cossou (CAL) 6-1, 6-1 NCAA TEAM

Natasha Marks (ARIZ) def. No. 28 Marina Cossou (CAL) 6-2, 7-5 (PAC10)
Petukhova def. Cossou 6-4, 6-4
McDowell def. Cossou 6-0, 6-3
Mijacika def. Cossou 3-6, 6-0, 6-2
Dy def Cossou 6-1, 6-7(5), 6-3
Mijacika def. Cossou 6-4, 6-2 (INDOORS)
Gloria def. Cossou 3-6, 7-5, 6-1 (NW R)
Chifchieva def. Cossou 6-4, 4-6, 6-3 (WAATC)
Poorta def. Cossou 1-6, 6-4, 6-4 (Cal Invite)
---
2007~2008
Zemenova def. Cossou 6-4, 6-1 (NCAA)
Rose def. Cossou 7-5, 6-4 (NCAA TEAM)
Abdala def. Cossou 6-0, 6-2 (PAC 10)
Barte def. Cossou 6-1, 6-3
Steinberg def. Cossou 6-4, 0-6, 6-3
Fink def. Cossou 6-1, 0-6, 6-3
Nguyen def. Cossou 6-2, 6-1
Rose def. Cossou 6-4, 6-3 (TEAM INDOORS)
Barte def. Cossou 6-3, 6-2 (NW R)
----
I 'think' Cossou is vulnerable to power-players, or aggressive ones..

Barte, Mijacika, McDowell, Petukhova, Marks, Frilling (I've never seen Cossou get that upset..she thrashed the ball to the drape when losing a point and returning to bench..near the end)..dunno Mallory Burdette's style, and C also struggled against L. Burdette at the last Pac-10 duals match( L was quite aggressive at that game)..and Broosova, too..

Incidently I think BU might go far..they are one of the few top teams who mad 'minor' losses, their core lineup is intact, unlike Duke, NU, CAL..like ND, they might not have a 'top top' player, but their 'depth' is their strength..
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 04:36 AM   #29
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by form View Post
ITA Kickoff/Indoors

Stanford, LB, UCI (and BYU as always due to Sunday requirement) all opted not to play this year.
Nice to see Stanford and LBS following UCI's lead from last year of opting not to play.
The UCI coach was ahead of the curve.

You also forgot to mention San Diego St., Indiana and Nebraska who are also following UCI's lead of passing on the Indoors.
gouci is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 05:10 AM   #30
country flag fantic

Regionals final 4

NW

Dy Burdette Juricova Zheltova(she's like Nelson)

SW

Sanchez Remynse Schnack Marks

Mountain

Thongdach Esposito Nedeltcheva Doerr

Texas

Ellis Damico Secerbegovic Duncan

Central

Constantinescu Geibert Lukomskaya Tigu

Midwest

Mosolova Muresan Frilling Redesci

NE

Cao Saiontz Herzberg Bartlett

Ohio Valley

Whoriskey Newman Wu Steinbauer

Atlantic

Fahoum Hardenbergh Vierra Stevens

Carolina

Bek Ciolkowski Zsilinszka Zubori

Southern

Chifchieva Njissen Boxx McClane

SE

Will Vallverdu Scharle Gilchrist
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles

Last edited by fantic : Dec 30th, 2009 at 05:16 AM.