2009-2010 College season - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 8th, 2009, 11:24 PM   #1
tennis_pIayer

tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all
2009-2010 College season

It's started with the ITA ALL-American champs, the biggest draw of the year and 2nd biggest individual tournament 2nd only to the NCAA.
The team taht's looking the strongest is Florida, as their 2 freshman Allie will and Lauren Embree are tearing through the draw. Duke, last year's NCAA champ is so much weaker given that everyone graduated or left and that they don't even have a full team 6 girls.
tennis_pIayer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 9th, 2009, 09:48 PM   #2
UFGatorFan

UFGatorFan is a glorious beacon of light UFGatorFan is a glorious beacon of light UFGatorFan is a glorious beacon of light UFGatorFan is a glorious beacon of light UFGatorFan is a glorious beacon of light UFGatorFan is a glorious beacon of light UFGatorFan is a glorious beacon of light UFGatorFan is a glorious beacon of light UFGatorFan is a glorious beacon of light UFGatorFan is a glorious beacon of light UFGatorFan is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 2009-2010 College season

Yeah, the Gators are playing pretty well this fall. Hopefully they can stay healthy and carry that over into the spring. They actually have depth on the roster. Their top 6 are very strong, maybe as good as anyone out there this year.
UFGatorFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2009, 06:49 AM   #3
country flag fantic

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a USC fan but I have to say Gators are most likely to win (jinx!) the NCAA. California's 1~3 core lineup is solid but the loss of Ilcinkas, Bobusic & Ravelojaona is..huge. Most of the top contenders suffered losses too, maybe except Baylor? I'm hoping for USC to defend the PAC-10 title but the loss of Fink and Niculescu is huge (they were also a superb doubles team)..And Dy really stepped up this fall (Washington)..

"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2009, 02:20 PM   #4
Tennisace

Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantic View Post
I'm a USC fan but I have to say Gators are most likely to win (jinx!) the NCAA. California's 1~3 core lineup is solid but the loss of Ilcinkas, Bobusic & Ravelojaona is..huge. Most of the top contenders suffered losses too, maybe except Baylor? I'm hoping for USC to defend the PAC-10 title but the loss of Fink and Niculescu is huge (they were also a superb doubles team)..And Dy really stepped up this fall (Washington)..
I agree about California (my alma mater)...although Marion was really non-existent last year. There is definitely a big question mark at the No. 4 and 5 spots. Part of the reason Cal was able to do so well the last couples of year was because of the strength at those spots. Chang has been a real disappointment in my opinion. The freshmen, specifically Radeva and Goransson will really need to step it up. I would be very surprised if Cal got the NCAA semis.

USC should go deep this year (although I feel like we always say that). They have really underperformed since the arrival of Sanchez, Entekhabi, Andrews, and Kintlser. Stanford will come back on top of the Pac-10 with the arrival of the youngest Burdette and Tan basically all of the players are moving down 2 spots except of course Barte.

I'm curious if Dy and Chan will flip flop the top spot throughout the dual season (to create favorable match-ups).

Last edited by Tennisace : Dec 22nd, 2009 at 05:45 PM.
Tennisace is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2009, 03:31 PM   #5
country flag fantic

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the reply tennisace! Cal really could've won NCAA last May. If only Ilcinkas was not injured during the doubles match at the final..I was there you know, since other PAC-10 teams were eliminated early, so I really rooted for the Golden Bears, ah well.

'USC should go deep this year'..doesn't that phrase apply to football? Those players you've mentioned..juniors..I don't know how they played at High School but their ranking was pretty high, and they did well at the Summer Circuit and the SW R, so..I think their junior squad has the most depth in NCAA, so hope they step up this season..

As you said Stanford can only go up (Mallory Burdette wreak havoc at the NW R), and UCLA too, I guess. They recruited some good players such as Hoffpauir & Montez, but I prefer to think USC's Lao and Pulido are better..

This season there is no dominant team in the PAC-10, so it would be REALLY interesting who wins at the end.

And, I want revenge on Washington, as a Trojan fan!

"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
Old Dec 22nd, 2009, 05:14 PM   #6
country flag fantic

looking at the recruiting results I'm also curious how Michigan and Alabama will perform in the future, too.

- Woodrow Wilson
Old Dec 23rd, 2009, 03:23 AM   #7
Tennisace

Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
thanks for the reply tennisace! Cal really could've won NCAA last May. If only Ilcinkas was not injured during the doubles match at the final..I was there you know, since other PAC-10 teams were eliminated early, so I really rooted for the Golden Bears, ah well.

'USC should go deep this year'..doesn't that phrase apply to football? Those players you've mentioned..juniors..I don't know how they played at High School but their ranking was pretty high, and they did well at the Summer Circuit and the SW R, so..I think their junior squad has the most depth in NCAA, so hope they step up this season..

As you said Stanford can only go up (Mallory Burdette wreak havoc at the NW R), and UCLA too, I guess. They recruited some good players such as Hoffpauir & Montez, but I prefer to think USC's Lao and Pulido are better..

This season there is no dominant team in the PAC-10, so it would be REALLY interesting who wins at the end.

And, I want revenge on Washington, as a Trojan fan!
Claire going down in doubles was sad. I think someone on the board pointed out that when Cal was at its full line-up last year, they never lost a dual match.

The most disappointing player at USC has been Fansler. She had a stellar freshman year and then since then has played like a mediocre player (like Lindsay Burdette). Its always interesting to see top junior players not be great college players (often the result of them hitting their tennis playing peak earlier). Pulido Velasco and Lao should help USC out. I imagine the order should be 1. Pulido Velasco, 2. Sanchez, 3. Fansler, 4. Lao, 5. Ramos, 6. Entekahbi...maybe even bumping up Lao to 3.

I think UCLA will have a rather weak year again. I've been a bit underwhelmed by Hoffpauir and Montez. Out of those two and Pantic, Johansson, Seguso, and Hickey...they're all good No. 4-6 players none are really strong No. 3 players. Looking at the future, UCLA really needs to recruit a No. 1 player. I'm assuming Dolehide will slide into No. 2/3 her freshman year with Remynse taking No. 1.
Old Dec 23rd, 2009, 03:28 AM   #8
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all

Quote:
... and UCLA too, I guess. They recruited some good players such as Hoffpauir & Montez, but I prefer to think USC's Lao and Pulido are better..
You left out UCLA's biggest addition for this season. If you haven't heard yet Noelle Hickey is transferring from Georgia Tech to join UCLA in the Spring of 2010. That is an example of the exclusive news you can get by following this board.
gouci is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2009, 04:01 AM   #9
country flag fantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
Claire going down in doubles was sad. I think someone on the board pointed out that when Cal was at its full line-up last year, they never lost a dual match.

The most disappointing player at USC has been Fansler. She had a stellar freshman year and then since then has played like a mediocre player (like Lindsay Burdette). Its always interesting to see top junior players not be great college players (often the result of them hitting their tennis playing peak earlier). Pulido Velasco and Lao should help USC out. I imagine the order should be 1. Pulido Velasco, 2. Sanchez, 3. Fansler, 4. Lao, 5. Ramos, 6. Entekahbi...maybe even bumping up Lao to 3.

I think UCLA will have a rather weak year again. I've been a bit underwhelmed by Hoffpauir and Montez. Out of those two and Pantic, Johansson, Seguso, and Hickey...they're all good No. 4-6 players none are really strong No. 3 players. Looking at the future, UCLA really needs to recruit a No. 1 player. I'm assuming Dolehide will slide into No. 2/3 her freshman year with Remynse taking No. 1.
Yes, Cal was really the no. 1 team at Pac-10 last season. As an example when Cal lost to USC, Cossou didn't play singles and Juricova didn't play doubles.

And yes, Fansler didn't do that well recently..but she did win against Johansson in the crucial duals match and #3 Washington player at the NCAA 2nd round..and she had to play against Cecil at the NCAA -.- Of course losing to Dartmouth player at WAATC was disappointing, but she did decently at the later ASU? invite or something. Granted, she was the highest ranked player of her class in the 1st year, I hope she would step up this season.
And I think Sanchez will get no.1, she did win back to back SW R championship, and Pulido lost to Micaela Hein of ASU, I think..but I think doubles is the more trouble, singles spots can be varied per game, I guess (I'm 'thinking' too much ).

Of UCLA, they certainly have depth, and Schnack is as good as ever, Remynse dispatched McKenna easily at SW R (yes, she did get dispatched by Will at WAATC)..no. 3 spot, as you said, might be the problem, but I think they can cover that by doing well at the lower positions.. And UCLA is traditionally good at doubles too, so..

It's good discussing this with someone.

- Woodrow Wilson
Old Dec 23rd, 2009, 04:07 AM   #10
country flag fantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouci View Post
You left out UCLA's biggest addition for this season. If you haven't heard yet Noelle Hickey is transferring from Georgia Tech to join UCLA in the Spring of 2010. That is an example of the exclusive news you can get by following this board.
haha! you're right she certainly could contribute. Boy, UCLA really has depth this year!

- Woodrow Wilson
Old Dec 23rd, 2009, 04:35 AM   #11
country flag fantic

possibly the player of the year; guess who?
-------

She is an excellent baker this season..

WAATC

def. Petukhova 6-0, 6-2
def. Frilling 6-4, 6-1
def. Whoriskey 6-1, 6-1
def. Chan 7-5, 7-6(6)
def. Gullickson 6-2, 6-1

INDOORS

def. Chifchieva 6-0, 7-6(3)
def. Bek 6-2, 6-0
def. Chan 6-0, 6-2

What word can describe her stats?

DOMINANT.

- Woodrow Wilson
Old Dec 23rd, 2009, 04:41 AM   #12
country flag fantic

Senior's yearly ranking;

15. Fansler
16. Chifchieva
19. Vallverdu
20. Henkel
23. Burdette
25. Alexander
28. Corovic
33. Mijacika
36. Flower
37. Abdala
-----
40. Newman
41. Schnack
44. Borsanyi
48. Tsang
51. Murray
58. Marand
61. Craddock GT
62. Macfarlane
64. Kucerkova
66. Ciobanu
71. Petukhova
74. Zheltova
76. Hyndman
80. Broosova
87. Balda
90. McDowell
97. Petrovic
105. Revzina
108. Zubori
109. Munch-Soegaard
117. Lui
119. Potgieter
121. Lumpkin

2. Mijacika
3. McDowell
10. Broosova
11. Chifchieva
13. Marand
17. Vallverdu
20. Petukhova
26. Abdala
28. Zheltova
36. Borsanyi
-----
39. Murray
42. Hyndman
44. Schnack
46. Lui
47. Whoriskey
48. Niculescu
51. Newman
52. Flower
58. Plotkin Duke
59. Corovic
61. Kaluder
62. Munch-Soegaard
65. Burdette
68. Kulikova WF
72. Mcfarlane
73. Zubori
81. Mizyuk Nevada
82. Iyer
84. Ueshima
87. Stupak
90. Revzina
91. Boonstra
92. Stevens
94. Kobuch
95. Alexander
101. Potgieter
106. Ciobanu
108. Saiontz
111. Woestmann
115. Acharya
117. Balda

4. Mijacika
7. Boonstra
10. Vallverdu
15. Chifchieva
18. Schnack
22. Munch-Soegaard
24. McDowell
34. Petukhova
35. Broosova
40. Whoriskey
-------
43. Zubori
45. Fansler
49. Revzina
51. Abdala
56. Murray
57. Hyndman
58. Fudge
62. Kulikova
66. Newman
67. Thongdach
68. Borsanyi
73. Kucerkova
79. Granson
80. Zheltova
89. Burdette
91. Corovic
92. Niculescu
93. Redecsi
94. Blalock
109. Potgieter
114. Brock NC St
115. Balda
120. Lui
121. Nedeltcheva
124. Macfarlane

2009 Preseason

3. Boonstra
6. Vallverdu
10. Chifchieva
11. Schnack
12. Marand
14. Munch-Soegaard
15. McDowell
22. Petukhova
23. Broosova
27. Whoriskey
-------
29. Zubori
30. Fansler
33. Revzina
34. Tsang
35. Abdala
40. Murray
41. Hyndman
42. Fudge
44. Kulikova
46. Newman
47. Thongdach
48. Borsanyi
51. Kucerkova
56. Zheltova
63. Burdette
65. Corovic
66. Redecsi
67. Blalock
80. Potgieter
83. Brock
89. Lui
90. Nedeltcheva
93. Macfarlane
98. Stupak
107. Acharya
111. Megan Alexander TCU
125. Ciobanu

- Woodrow Wilson
Old Dec 23rd, 2009, 05:49 AM   #13
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all

Quote:
just for fun I'm posting USC outlook I wrote some time ago;
Wrote where at a USC messageboard?
gouci is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24th, 2009, 07:56 PM   #14
country flag fantic

Hilary Barte.

Stanford #1. Worthy successor of Amber Liu. Small but really powerful, beautiful form..
it's quite a mystery that she hasn't been to elite 8 in any of those 3 major individual tournies (WAATC, Indoors, NCAA. Actually
after Lindsay Burdette in her freshman year no Stanford player has made it)

Size is definitely not an issue here. Were McDowell, Vallverdu, Cecil, Falconi, Chan, Dy big players? Nope.

it's really time that she makes it...I'm not talking about doubles, she already made it to the top at last NCAA and this Indoors with
Burdette, I'm talking about singles.

So NCAA's prominent issue may be her.. (lost to Boontra at the last NCAA)

She should be REALLY motivated..

- Woodrow Wilson
Old Dec 25th, 2009, 01:19 AM   #15
Tennisace

I think part of Stanford's problem has been two fold: 1) the increasing strength of other college teams and 2) a relatively weak senior and sophomore class.

The senior class was to consist of Vania King in addition to Burdette. And their sophomore class really performed lower than Stanford freshman average especially since they played the lower three spots.