Betty Stove - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 21st, 2009, 01:04 PM   #16
country flag iainmac

iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold
Re: Betty Stove

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris whiteside View Post
It's quite astonishing that Betty first began playing the Slams in 1964.

Her name would crop each year as she would have a few good victories but nothing consistent - she would have probably languished around the mid-teens but in those days remained largely unknown since attention was really only paid to the top 10.

But it is amazing that she should suddenly become a force a la Judy Tegart in 1976 when she was around 31 years of age.

So although she seemed to be a bolt from the blue she had actually had a certain presence during the previous decade.
Chris. I am just amazed how little she achieved on grass, really until 1975 when she reached the quarters at Wimbledon and heavily threatened Evert.
iainmac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 21st, 2009, 01:08 PM   #17
country flag iainmac

iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisvideos View Post
Hi Iain - I have been a bit up and down lately as my two dogs have had health issues but hopefully that is over as both seem to have recovered well. Other than that all is well. How have you been?

I agree, had Betty been feeling loose I have no doubt she would have won both of those two doubles finals (75 & 76) and who knows, she may have even taken 77 doubles or mixed. She had a lot of runner up titles at Wimbledon! Still, she won a good share too.
Craig. I am fine, just back from the USA after 3 weeks holiday. Start a new career Wed with a Masters degree in history, bit of a change from psychiatry but I love history so Im taking the gamble!!!Stove was great with McMillan as well I reckon!!
Old May 22nd, 2010, 10:50 PM   #18
country flag iainmac

One of the GOAT in doubles for sure
Old May 23rd, 2010, 04:31 AM   #19
tennisvideos
Love the Legends of Tennis

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmac View Post
One of the GOAT in doubles for sure
Definately, and whoever she paired up with in the 70s was a force to be reckoned with:
King/Stove, Durr/Stove, Navratilova/Stove etc.

And she featured so heavily in the Mixed in the late 70s. She was definately a late bloomer.

I had the good fortune of meeting her a few times in the players lounge at Wimbledon when I was a guest of Frankie Durr and she truly is a lovely woman. Very friendly. We also traded memorabillia for a few years as well.

It was such a shame she froze in the 75 and 76 Wimbledon doubles finals. Frankie Durr never won the womens doubles at Wimbledon (was runner-up 6 times) and 75 was their year IMO. They had dominated the WTT season and done so well in the slims and had just taken out the two of the other top teams in the world in the quarters and semis ... it seemed like destiny. But poor old Betty collapsed at a few critical times and credit to Kiyomura/Sawamatsu who played steady throughout and stayed strong at the end. Pity the BBC didn't keep the Quarters and Semis on film as I would have had more joy re-watching those than the final LOL.

Quarters
Durr/Stove d. Court/Wade[4] 6-4 6-3

Semis
Durr/Stove d. Casals/King[2] 2-6 8-6 6-2

Final
Kiyomura/Sawamatsu d. Durr/Stove 7-5 1-6 7-5
60s/70s: Evonne Goolagong .. Francoise Durr .. Chris Evert .. Margaret Court .. Nancy Richey .. Maria Bueno .. Billie-Jean King .. Lesley Turner .. Virginia Wade .. Ken Rosewall .. Rod Laver .. Bjorn Borg ..
Entertainers: .. Diana Ross .. Dionne Warwick .. Shirley Bassey .. Randy Crawford .. Burt Bacharach .. ABBA .. Woody Allen .. Maggie Smith .. Gena Rowlands .. Judy Davis .. Heath Ledger .. Little Britain ..
Inspiration: .. Jeshua Ben Josepth .. Conversations with God .. Abraham with Esther & Jerry Hicks .. P'taah ..
tennisvideos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2010, 10:21 AM   #20
country flag iainmac

Quote:
Definately, and whoever she paired up with in the 70s was a force to be reckoned with:

And she featured so heavily in the Mixed in the late 70s. She was definately a late bloomer.

I had the good fortune of meeting her a few times in the players lounge at Wimbledon when I was a guest of Frankie Durr and she truly is a lovely woman. Very friendly. We also traded memorabillia for a few years as well.

It was such a shame she froze in the 75 and 76 Wimbledon doubles finals. Frankie Durr never won the womens doubles at Wimbledon (was runner-up 6 times) and 75 was their year IMO. They had dominated the WTT season and done so well in the slims and had just taken out the two of the other top teams in the world in the quarters and semis ... it seemed like destiny. But poor old Betty collapsed at a few critical times and credit to Kiyomura/Sawamatsu who played steady throughout and stayed strong at the end. Pity the BBC didn't keep the Quarters and Semis on film as I would have had more joy re-watching those than the final LOL.

Quarters

Semis

Final
CraigStove was remarkable as a doubles player and like you say seemed able to team with virtually anyone. She and Austin were also effective for a few months when Tracy turned professional. The fact Stove was able to bring out some doubles skill in Austin is a testament to her doubles genius. I think she was one of the greatest of all mixed pairs in partnership with McMillan. Even towards the end of both their careers they were still one of, if not the, best in mixed. That 75 Wimbledon was a funny one for throwing up some unlikely champions. I guess you could say the great Ashe winning was a surprise, then apart from Kiyomura and Sawamatsu, we also had the unlikey combination of Mayer S and Gerulaitis winning. So it was Stove and not Durr who threw the match??
Old May 23rd, 2010, 11:30 AM   #21
tennisvideos

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
CraigStove was remarkable as a doubles player and like you say seemed able to team with virtually anyone. She and Austin were also effective for a few months when Tracy turned professional. The fact Stove was able to bring out some doubles skill in Austin is a testament to her doubles genius. I think she was one of the greatest of all mixed pairs in partnership with McMillan. Even towards the end of both their careers they were still one of, if not the, best in mixed. That 75 Wimbledon was a funny one for throwing up some unlikely champions. I guess you could say the great Ashe winning was a surprise, then apart from Kiyomura and Sawamatsu, we also had the unlikey combination of Mayer S and Gerulaitis winning. So it was Stove and not Durr who threw the match??
Frankie was pretty steady in that match and even came up with some great winners. But there was a stint where Betty hit about a dozen consecutive returns into the net and Dan Maskell was horrified (not as much as I was)!

Yes Stove/McMillan was a tremendous partnership! Loved watching their Wimbledon finals ... McMillan was like a magician wasn't he - the Santoro of his time. And Betty had the power to complement him perfectly.
60s/70s: Evonne Goolagong .. Francoise Durr .. Chris Evert .. Margaret Court .. Nancy Richey .. Maria Bueno .. Billie-Jean King .. Lesley Turner .. Virginia Wade .. Ken Rosewall .. Rod Laver .. Bjorn Borg ..
Entertainers: .. Diana Ross .. Dionne Warwick .. Shirley Bassey .. Randy Crawford .. Burt Bacharach .. ABBA .. Woody Allen .. Maggie Smith .. Gena Rowlands .. Judy Davis .. Heath Ledger .. Little Britain ..
Inspiration: .. Jeshua Ben Josepth .. Conversations with God .. Abraham with Esther & Jerry Hicks .. P'taah ..
Old May 23rd, 2010, 01:36 PM   #22
country flag iainmac

Quote:
Frankie was pretty steady in that match and even came up with some great winners. But there was a stint where Betty hit about a dozen consecutive returns into the net and Dan Maskell was horrified (not as much as I was)!

Yes Stove/McMillan was a tremendous partnership! Loved watching their Wimbledon finals ... McMillan was like a magician wasn't he - the Santoro of his time. And Betty had the power to complement him perfectly.
CraigI loved to watch McMillan. He was a genius and a really nic man as well. Not in the least conceited when I met him as a boy he was charming. And yes he and Betty were a great pair to watch although they could go on a collective walkabout occasionally!!!!
Old May 25th, 2010, 06:58 AM   #23
country flag DennisFitz

DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all

Quote:

Quarters

Semis

Final
Who were the top seeds? Evert/Navratilova, or defending champs Goolagong/Michel?

Pretty tough draw!

Too bad for Frankie and Betty they didn't win that year. It certainly seemed like it was and should have been their time to win a Wimbledon doubles title. Both too good not to have. And what a shocking upset. Doubly bad for Betty 2 years later when she and Martina, heavily favored, got whipped in the finals by Joanne Russell and Helen Cawley.
DennisFitz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 12:45 PM   #24
tennisvideos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisFitz View Post
Who were the top seeds? Evert/Navratilova, or defending champs Goolagong/Michel?

Pretty tough draw!

Too bad for Frankie and Betty they didn't win that year. It certainly seemed like it was and should have been their time to win a Wimbledon doubles title. Both too good not to have. And what a shocking upset. Doubly bad for Betty 2 years later when she and Martina, heavily favored, got whipped in the finals by Joanne Russell and Helen Cawley.
Yes it was a great event. Goolagong/Michel were the top seeds and Evert/Navratilova were the #2 seeds.

Betty was runner up in a lot of Wimbledon Womens Doubles finals:

73 with Durr
75 with Durr
76 with King
77 with Navratilova
79 with Turnbull

Luckily she won in 72 with King!

Durr was runner up 6 times.
Old May 25th, 2010, 01:03 PM   #25
Jem

Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future

Quote:
CraigStove was remarkable as a doubles player and like you say seemed able to team with virtually anyone. She and Austin were also effective for a few months when Tracy turned professional. The fact Stove was able to bring out some doubles skill in Austin is a testament to her doubles genius.
OK, can't believe I'm about to come to Tracy's rescue on anything but ...! Actually, Tracy had some very solid doubles results. She won the Wimbledon mixed with her brother, John -- not exactly a giant on the tour -- thumping Stove and McMillan along the way and narrowly lost in the final next year to Stove-McMillan. She had some solid doubles results as well on the WTA tour, even got Kathy May to the quarters at the U.S. Open one year. And she was stellar in her junior career. I can hardly remember her even losing a doubles match. As a pro, especially once the injuries started, she focused almost exclusively on singles, but she could play a good doubles match. Seemed very savvy and smart on the court, I thought, in the few times I saw her play doubles.
Jem is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2010, 06:25 AM   #26
country flag iainmac

Quote:

Pretty tough draw!

I know the defeat in the 77 final doubles must have been the most surprising of the 3 final defeats that Betty suffered. I wonder though if the emotions of the singles final and the loss to Wade must have really affected her in the doubles and mixed finals. I mean she must have been on such a high in defeating Navratilova and Barker, and must have fancied her chances against Wade. Of course she would have been totally professional in her doubles finals and determined but the loss of such a huge singles final would have impacted on even a great player like Court or BJK.
Old May 27th, 2010, 06:27 AM   #27
country flag iainmac

Quote:
Yes it was a great event. Goolagong/Michel were the top seeds and Evert/Navratilova were the #2 seeds.

73 with Durr
75 with Durr
76 with King
77 with Navratilova
79 with Turnbull

They are remarkable in reaching so many finals. Sometimes we are so focused on the amount of singles finals people reach,we do overlook legendary doubles achievements.
Old May 27th, 2010, 06:30 AM   #28
country flag iainmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem View Post
OK, can't believe I'm about to come to Tracy's rescue on anything but ...! Actually, Tracy had some very solid doubles results. She won the Wimbledon mixed with her brother, John -- not exactly a giant on the tour -- thumping Stove and McMillan along the way and narrowly lost in the final next year to Stove-McMillan. She had some solid doubles results as well on the WTA tour, even got Kathy May to the quarters at the U.S. Open one year. And she was stellar in her junior career. I can hardly remember her even losing a doubles match. As a pro, especially once the injuries started, she focused almost exclusively on singles, but she could play a good doubles match. Seemed very savvy and smart on the court, I thought, in the few times I saw her play doubles.
Oh for sure Austin was an excellent doubles player, I wasnt having a go at her skills. I love Tracy big time. My point was that when she was playing initially with Stove it was when she was 14/15. She would have needed guidance as a non net player on pro doubles. It is Betty that I would imagine would have been fundamental in this, along with BJK in the 78 Wightman Cup.
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 07:01 AM   #29
country flag DennisFitz

DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all

Quote:

73 with Durr
75 with Durr
76 with King
77 with Navratilova
79 with Turnbull

I forgot Betty won in 1972 w/BJK. Good thing she got that first Wimbledon doubles title when she did! She was favored to win every other time she was n the final (save the 1973 event, when King/Casals were the favorites). Betty did have great success overall at Wimbledon, winning many matches in singles, doubles, and mixed throughout her career.
DennisFitz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 01:12 PM   #30
country flag iainmac

Quote:
I forgot Betty won in 1972 w/BJK. Good thing she got that first Wimbledon doubles title when she did! She was favored to win every other time she was n the final (save the 1973 event, when King/Casals were the favorites). Betty did have great success overall at Wimbledon, winning many matches in singles, doubles, and mixed throughout her career.
I think though that it would be safe to say for such a great all court player with a really natural grass court game, that she did underachieve at Wimbledon save for the years 75 and 77. Then again she was a late developer and the fact that she also reached the semis of the US on clay in 77 indicates that she did settle into her self much later in her career. Mind you she was very close to defeating Evert in the quarters of 75, that would have been her greatest ever singles victory.