Betty Stove - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 18th, 2009, 10:36 AM   #1
country flag iainmac

iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold
Betty Stove

Having just had some interesting posts re Betty from Rollo and Dennis Fritz I thought it was worth starting a thread on the greatest Dutch player of all time. What a remarkable career she had, highlighted by the three Wimbledon finals in 1977. And all that after illness had left her told she would never play again early in her career.
She was great with career wins over Navratilova, Goolagong, Court, Wade, Austin, Casals, Barker(mind you dont mention that one from 77 Wimbledon to poor Sue). Even when near the end of her career she had Andrea Jaeger all over the place in the second round at Wimbledon in 1981
What are your favourite memories of her? Mine was of her calling me son when I went for her autograph at Eastbourne in 83- and she told me to put more sun bloke on as I was a bit red!!!!! She was watching Rina Einy who was due to play Mandlikova at Wimbledon the following week.
So friends, how did you rate Betty and what are your favourite memories of her?
iainmac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 18th, 2009, 03:15 PM   #2
country flag nelslus
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold
Re: Betty Stove

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmac View Post
Having just had some interesting posts re Betty from Rollo and Dennis Fritz I thought it was worth starting a thread on the greatest Dutch player of all time. What a remarkable career she had, highlighted by the three Wimbledon finals in 1977. And all that after illness had left her told she would never play again early in her career.
She was great with career wins over Navratilova, Goolagong, Court, Wade, Austin, Casals, Barker(mind you dont mention that one from 77 Wimbledon to poor Sue). Even when near the end of her career she had Andrea Jaeger all over the place in the second round at Wimbledon in 1981
What are your favourite memories of her? Mine was of her calling me son when I went for her autograph at Eastbourne in 83- and she told me to put more sun bloke on as I was a bit red!!!!! She was watching Rina Einy who was due to play Mandlikova at Wimbledon the following week.
So friends, how did you rate Betty and what are your favourite memories of her?
Interesting.....One would think that even Betty would know that there have been PLENTY of blokes on Iain through the years. (Quite a bit of ah, ahem, Freudian slip there, eh, Iain?!?!?)

As for Big Bad Betty- I just love her is all. I've gotten every DVD that I can of her play. Not exactly the most graceful of players. But- she sure could hit the hell out of the ball. Would KILL to see how she beat Martina at Wimbledon- but, apparently, this match ain't available for viewing.
Old Sep 18th, 2009, 03:43 PM   #3
country flag iainmac

iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelslus View Post
Interesting.....One would think that even Betty would know that there have been PLENTY of blokes on Iain through the years. (Quite a bit of ah, ahem, Freudian slip there, eh, Iain?!?!?)

As for Big Bad Betty- I just love her is all. I've gotten every DVD that I can of her play. Not exactly the most graceful of players. But- she sure could hit the hell out of the ball. Would KILL to see how she beat Martina at Wimbledon- but, apparently, this match ain't available for viewing.
Hey Im the mental health expert round here but mmmmm that was a bit Freudian. However at the time I was 13 so the number on me had been more limited at that point!!!. I did see the closing points of her match with Navratilova at Wimbledon 77 once- but Martina was awful- 61 right in the final set?
Catch you later cutie Jeffie!!!!
Old Sep 18th, 2009, 03:46 PM   #4
country flag newmark401

newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all

Lance Tingay, in "100 Years of Wimbledon", has her name as Betty Flippina Stove. She was born 24 June 1945 in Rotterdam, the Netherlands. The WTA site says she is now living in Brasschadt, Belgium. Betty was voted Dutch Sportswoman of the Year in 1977 when she reached all six finals open to her at both Wimbledon and the US Open, except the singles at the latter tournament, where she reached the semi-final (lost to Evert, 6-3, 7-5, on the clay at Forest Hills).

Betty seems to have had very little success at winning singles tournaments, which is strange because she obviously had a strong, attacking game. She had a great doubles year in 1972, winning the French Open and Wimbledon with Billie Jean King and the US Open with Françoise Durr. Betty didn't play the Australian Open that year.

In 1977, she upset Martina Navratilova in the quarter-finals at Wimbledon, winning 9-8, 3-6, 6-1 before going on to the final where Virginia Wade beat her. (Betty beat Martina on grass again, 6-3, 3-6, 7-5, in the round of 16 at Eastbourne in 1980). Betty had no luck at Wimbledon in 1977, losing the ladies' doubles final with Navratilova and the mixed with Frew McMillan. However, she took the doubles and mixed at 1977 US Open with those same two partners.

Betty had another great year in 1979, winning the Avon Championships and Bridgestone Doubles with Françoise Durr and the Italian Open, French Open and US Open with Wendy Turnbull. She and Wendy were runner-up to Billie Jean King and Martina Navratilova at Wimbledon that year.

Betty also won the mixed at Wimbledon and the US Open in 1978 and again at Wimbledon in 1981, all with Frew McMillan.

Apparently Betty's nickname was the "Duchess". She was President of the WTA Tour Players' Association three times. She also coached Hana Mandlikova and fellow Dutch player Kristie Boogert.

Last edited by newmark401 : Sep 18th, 2009 at 10:12 PM.
newmark401 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2009, 04:49 PM   #5
country flag iainmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmark401 View Post
Lance Tingay, in "100 Years of Wimbledon", has her name as Betty Flippina Stove. She was born 24 June 1945 in Rotterdam, the Netherlands. The WTA site says she is now living in Brasschadt, Belgium. Betty was voted Dutch Sportswoman of the Year in 1977 when she reached all six finals open to her at both Wimbledon and the US Open, except the singles at the latter tournament, where she reached the semi-final (lost to Evert, 6-3, 7-5, on the clay at Forest Hills).

Betty seems to have had very little success at winning singles tournaments, which is strange because she obviously had a strong, attacking game. She had a great doubles year in 1972, winning the French Open and Wimbledon with Billie Jean King and the US Open with Françoise Durr. Betty didn't play the Australian Open that year.

In 1977, she upset Martina Navratilova in the quarter-finals at Wimbledon, winning 9-8, 3-6, 6-1 before going on to the final where Virginia Wade beat her. (Betty beat Martina on grass again, 6-3, 3-6, 7-5, in the round of 16 at Eastbourne in 1980). Betty had no luck at Wimbledon in 1977, losing the ladies' doubles final with Navratilova and the mixed with Frew McMillan. However, she took the doubles and mixed at 1977 US Open with those same two partners.

Betty had another great year in 1979, winning the Avon Championships and Bridgestone Doubles with Françoise Durr and Italian Open, French Open and US Open with Wendy Turnbull. She and Wendy were runner-up to Billie Jean King and Martina Navratilova at Wimbledon that year.

Betty also won the mixed at Wimbledon and the US Open in 1978 and again at Wimbledon in 1981, all with Frew McMillan.

Apparently Betty's nickname was the "Duchess". She was President of the WTA Tour Players' Association three times. She also coached Hana Mandlikova and fellow Dutch player Kristie Boogert.

I didnt know that she coached Boogert Mark. I enjoyed the synopsis but it reminded me painfully that she defeated Barker not only in the 77 singles semis at Wimbledon but the Avon Doubles final at MSG 1979!!!!. How phenomenal though in 77 to reach 6 out of 7 finals at Wimbledon and the Open!!
Old Sep 19th, 2009, 01:05 AM   #6
country flag DennisFitz

DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all

She should be in the Hall of Fame.

Bud Collins nicknamed her 'Big Bad Betty' (Bud just loves those alliterations!); yet Betty didn't take kindly to it. After hearing the nickname, she approached Bud, picked him up and flipped him over and dropped him on the ground, muttering, 'don;t ever call me Big Bad Betty again!'

Betty's singles career blossomed later in her career - typical of most serve and volleyers. From Sept 1976- end of 1977 she was a solid top 5, in a time when you had Chris, Martina, Virginia, Billie Jean, and Barker. She could never quite finish off a tournament - hence the number of RU finishes she had, including 5 in 19878, which is still not bad. She beat every player of significance, except for Evert. Betty could be scary good when she was on. Really one of the first power players. Great reach at the net. But her movement was suspect. So if you could get her on the move, she could be beaten. If she was having a big serving day, and going for broke, no one wanted to be on the other side of the net.

Betty was successful with every partner she ever played with. And she played with almost every one! She and Durr were great in the early 1970s. She and Billie Jean won a major together. Martina and Betty were #1 in 1977. In 1978 Betty and Evonne hooked up on the VS circuit. Betty also played with Chris Evert, and they were the first ones to beat Billie Jean and Martina in 1978 at Eastbourne. Her partnership with Wendy Turnbull was a highly successful one in 1980. She hand Hana were partners in more ways than one. But she was a calming influence on Mandlikova.
DennisFitz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2009, 06:47 PM   #7
country flag Mark43

Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold

It's so hard to believe she beat Martina on grass in 1980! That was a shocker. How olde was Big Bad Betty by that time? Nearly 40? Woo hoo. It always seemed like the earth shook when she moved, according to my mother.
Mark43 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2009, 01:28 PM   #8
country flag iainmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisFitz View Post
She should be in the Hall of Fame.

Bud Collins nicknamed her 'Big Bad Betty' (Bud just loves those alliterations!); yet Betty didn't take kindly to it. After hearing the nickname, she approached Bud, picked him up and flipped him over and dropped him on the ground, muttering, 'don;t ever call me Big Bad Betty again!'

Betty's singles career blossomed later in her career - typical of most serve and volleyers. From Sept 1976- end of 1977 she was a solid top 5, in a time when you had Chris, Martina, Virginia, Billie Jean, and Barker. She could never quite finish off a tournament - hence the number of RU finishes she had, including 5 in 19878, which is still not bad. She beat every player of significance, except for Evert. Betty could be scary good when she was on. Really one of the first power players. Great reach at the net. But her movement was suspect. So if you could get her on the move, she could be beaten. If she was having a big serving day, and going for broke, no one wanted to be on the other side of the net.

Betty was successful with every partner she ever played with. And she played with almost every one! She and Durr were great in the early 1970s. She and Billie Jean won a major together. Martina and Betty were #1 in 1977. In 1978 Betty and Evonne hooked up on the VS circuit. Betty also played with Chris Evert, and they were the first ones to beat Billie Jean and Martina in 1978 at Eastbourne. Her partnership with Wendy Turnbull was a highly successful one in 1980. She hand Hana were partners in more ways than one. But she was a calming influence on Mandlikova.
Her flexibilty in doubles was remarkable Dennis and the records show it. Apart from the GS titles she was in countless other finals. Her partnerships with Durr and Turnbull are the ones I think of when I think of Betty. That final she lost to King/Casals with Durr in 73 was fantastic. She was also involved in some majorly unusual finals- with Durr against Sawamatsu and Kiyomura 75 Wimbledon and with Navratilova against Richards and Stuart 77 Open!!!!
Old Sep 20th, 2009, 01:31 PM   #9
country flag iainmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark40 View Post
It's so hard to believe she beat Martina on grass in 1980! That was a shocker. How olde was Big Bad Betty by that time? Nearly 40? Woo hoo. It always seemed like the earth shook when she moved, according to my mother.
She was actually only 35 when she beat Navratilova at Eastbourne that year. Martina was rocky I believe at that point but still a great victory. You know when you see old film of Stove now she does not look that big or slow. I think it was just so unusual back then to see such a big woman. Well apart from Court and she was more athletic of course!!!!
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 09:29 AM   #10
tennisvideos
Love the Legends of Tennis

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute

I too adore Betty. She was of course one of Frankie Durr's greatest doubles partners (which helps) and in addition to winning the US Open doubles titles together they made 2 Wimbledon Doubles finals, another US Final and a French Doubles Final. They also dominated the Slims doubles tour in the mid 70s.

I also have seen Betty playing with Billie, Martina and King and she did do very well with just about everyone, showing what a doubles force she was. Certainly her big serve and powerful forehand was a big factor in her doubles and mixed success. She was suspect though on the big occasion. She crumbled in the 75 and 76 Wimbledon Doubles Finals. At one stage in the 75 Final she must have missed about 10 consecutive returns of serve, much to the dismay of Dan Maskall and Frankie Durr! They really should have won that one. And in 76 King was berating her at the changeovers as she seemed to freeze on court.

I was very lucky to meet Betty through Frankie and she is adorable - very funny, humble and incredibly sweet. Also met her long time partner. I was never enamoured with her playing style, but I just love watching her play - esp doubles, as you just never quite knew what you were going to get.
60s/70s: Evonne Goolagong .. Francoise Durr .. Chris Evert .. Margaret Court .. Nancy Richey .. Maria Bueno .. Billie-Jean King .. Lesley Turner .. Virginia Wade .. Ken Rosewall .. Rod Laver .. Bjorn Borg ..
Entertainers: .. Diana Ross .. Dionne Warwick .. Shirley Bassey .. Randy Crawford .. Burt Bacharach .. ABBA .. Woody Allen .. Maggie Smith .. Gena Rowlands .. Judy Davis .. Heath Ledger .. Little Britain ..
Inspiration: .. Jeshua Ben Josepth .. Conversations with God .. Abraham with Esther & Jerry Hicks .. P'taah ..
tennisvideos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 10:03 AM   #11
country flag Josus57

Josus57 is a name known to all Josus57 is a name known to all Josus57 is a name known to all Josus57 is a name known to all Josus57 is a name known to all Josus57 is a name known to all Josus57 is a name known to all Josus57 is a name known to all Josus57 is a name known to all Josus57 is a name known to all Josus57 is a name known to all

My 2 (actually 3, but 2 of them happened at the same event)favorite memories of Bette were: 1) The 1975 Virginia Slims of Philadelphia. A) Her winning the Doubles title with Evonne Goolagong (my # 1 favorite female tennis player of all time) winning a 3 set thriller 4-6 6-4 7-6 (5-3) over Billie Jean King and Rosie Casals (that match ended one of my favorite days at a tennins tourament, as Virginia Wade (my # 2 fave) def Chris Evert: 7-5 6-4 in the Singles Final. B) After the trophy presentation I was able to get both Bette's and Evonne's autograph. and my other favorite memory of Bette was when she and Dick Stockton won a Mixed Doubles Tourament in Dallas. They were a "pick-up" team (I believe they only got to play because other team pulled out at the last minute!) and ended up winning the event. As soon as they won, they embraced (and in a role reversal)Bette scooped up Stockton in her arms, and up in the air.
Josus57 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 11:03 AM   #12
country flag iainmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisvideos View Post
I too adore Betty. She was of course one of Frankie Durr's greatest doubles partners (which helps) and in addition to winning the US Open doubles titles together they made 2 Wimbledon Doubles finals, another US Final and a French Doubles Final. They also dominated the Slims doubles tour in the mid 70s.

I also have seen Betty playing with Billie, Martina and King and she did do very well with just about everyone, showing what a doubles force she was. Certainly her big serve and powerful forehand was a big factor in her doubles and mixed success. She was suspect though on the big occasion. She crumbled in the 75 and 76 Wimbledon Doubles Finals. At one stage in the 75 Final she must have missed about 10 consecutive returns of serve, much to the dismay of Dan Maskall and Frankie Durr! They really should have won that one. And in 76 King was berating her at the changeovers as she seemed to freeze on court.

I was very lucky to meet Betty through Frankie and she is adorable - very funny, humble and incredibly sweet. Also met her long time partner. I was never enamoured with her playing style, but I just love watching her play - esp doubles, as you just never quite knew what you were going to get.
Craig. How are you fella? Long time and no hear. I agree I think she is a charming person. Funny that she froze in those two finals, if she had been on form you cant help feeling she would have won both. Because Kiyomura/Sawamatsu, Evert/Navratilova did not exactly win these matches easily!!!!!
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 11:06 AM   #13
country flag iainmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josus57 View Post
My 2 (actually 3, but 2 of them happened at the same event)favorite memories of Bette were: 1) The 1975 Virginia Slims of Philadelphia. A) Her winning the Doubles title with Evonne Goolagong (my # 1 favorite female tennis player of all time) winning a 3 set thriller 4-6 6-4 7-6 (5-3) over Billie Jean King and Rosie Casals (that match ended one of my favorite days at a tennins tourament, as Virginia Wade (my # 2 fave) def Chris Evert: 7-5 6-4 in the Singles Final. B) After the trophy presentation I was able to get both Bette's and Evonne's autograph. and my other favorite memory of Bette was when she and Dick Stockton won a Mixed Doubles Tourament in Dallas. They were a "pick-up" team (I believe they only got to play because other team pulled out at the last minute!) and ended up winning the event. As soon as they won, they embraced (and in a role reversal)Bette scooped up Stockton in her arms, and up in the air.
What a great day that must have been for you. I know how highly you have always regarded the standard of play that Wade showed in Philadelphia that year. But also to have a doubles final of that standard- fantastic. Dick Stockton wasnt exactly small was he? Big Betty had some strength!!!!
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 11:34 AM   #14
country flag chris whiteside

chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold

It's quite astonishing that Betty first began playing the Slams in 1964.

Her name would crop each year as she would have a few good victories but nothing consistent - she would have probably languished around the mid-teens but in those days remained largely unknown since attention was really only paid to the top 10.

But it is amazing that she should suddenly become a force a la Judy Tegart in 1976 when she was around 31 years of age.

So although she seemed to be a bolt from the blue she had actually had a certain presence during the previous decade.
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 12:18 PM   #15
tennisvideos
Love the Legends of Tennis

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmac View Post
Craig. How are you fella? Long time and no hear. I agree I think she is a charming person. Funny that she froze in those two finals, if she had been on form you cant help feeling she would have won both. Because Kiyomura/Sawamatsu, Evert/Navratilova did not exactly win these matches easily!!!!!
Hi Iain - I have been a bit up and down lately as my two dogs have had health issues but hopefully that is over as both seem to have recovered well. Other than that all is well. How have you been?

I agree, had Betty been feeling loose I have no doubt she would have won both of those two doubles finals (75 & 76) and who knows, she may have even taken 77 doubles or mixed. She had a lot of runner up titles at Wimbledon! Still, she won a good share too.
60s/70s: Evonne Goolagong .. Francoise Durr .. Chris Evert .. Margaret Court .. Nancy Richey .. Maria Bueno .. Billie-Jean King .. Lesley Turner .. Virginia Wade .. Ken Rosewall .. Rod Laver .. Bjorn Borg ..
Entertainers: .. Diana Ross .. Dionne Warwick .. Shirley Bassey .. Randy Crawford .. Burt Bacharach .. ABBA .. Woody Allen .. Maggie Smith .. Gena Rowlands .. Judy Davis .. Heath Ledger .. Little Britain ..
Inspiration: .. Jeshua Ben Josepth .. Conversations with God .. Abraham with Esther & Jerry Hicks .. P'taah ..
tennisvideos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote