Some positive signs at the US Open - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 4th, 2009, 01:22 PM   #1
country flag Joana

Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute
Some positive signs at the US Open

For all the talk about the worst #1s ever, the bad state of WTA tour, inaccurate rankings etc., this has actually been a pretty exciting tournaments so far. Yes, there have been many upsets, but in literally all of those cases it's not only due to the higher ranked player sucking - their opponents really took it to them. Dementieva and Jankovic (even Ivanovic) played much worse in the past and managed to sneak out a win, but their opponents didn't allow them to get away with mediocre play this time. And some players I deemed totally hopeless, like Kirilenko and King, showed that they actually had game. Even Rodionova put on a gutsy display to fight back and prevail over Lisicki yesterday.
Hopefully this trend keeps up in the future, since it will force the top players to get more serious about their games. And that can only be a good thing.
Joana is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 4th, 2009, 01:32 PM   #2
country flag phelbyn

phelbyn is a name known to all phelbyn is a name known to all phelbyn is a name known to all phelbyn is a name known to all phelbyn is a name known to all phelbyn is a name known to all phelbyn is a name known to all phelbyn is a name known to all phelbyn is a name known to all phelbyn is a name known to all phelbyn is a name known to all
Re: Some positive signs at the US Open

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joana View Post
For all the talk about the worst #1s ever, the bad state of WTA tour, inaccurate rankings etc., this has actually been a pretty exciting tournaments so far. Yes, there have been many upsets, but in literally all of those cases it's not only due to the higher ranked player sucking - their opponents really took it to them. Dementieva and Jankovic (even Ivanovic) played much worse in the past and managed to sneak out a win, but their opponents didn't allow them to get away with mediocre play this time. And some players I deemed totally hopeless, like Kirilenko and King, showed that they actually had game. Even Rodionova put on a gutsy display to fight back and prevail over Lisicki yesterday.
Hopefully this trend keeps up in the future, since it will force the top players to get more serious about their games. And that can only be a good thing.
Good ideas in here. I'm very disappointed with womens tennis right now. There are no dominant players. Whereas in the past you could expect the top 5 to easily make it through to the quarters, nowadays nothing consistent is happening. I agree with the quote that the lower ranked players are giving it to the higher ranked players, but that doesn't necessarily show any more depth in womens tennis. I really don't think any of the top players lost because the lower ranked player outplayed them. I think it's a simple matter of top ranked players not playing a pretty game at the US Open. Far too many errors, and monstrous serving issues. I think we can all agree Dementieva, Jankovic, Ivanovic, Radwanska, Bartoli, Mauresmo, etc did not play a good match. Kudos to the players that beat them: it takes persistence and talent to close out a match over a top-gun.

Here's hoping for a bit of a resurrection in the quality of the women's game.
phelbyn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 01:44 PM   #3
country flag sammy01

sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute

im still not happy that the matches are total UE fests. 40+ UE seems to have become the norm, and when did 10 df's a match become the norm to. the tennis is still pants even if there is some drama.

Kim Clijsters - Supporting the comeback!

I have no other faves, I just hate

Follow me on twitter, I talk lots of shit about tennis - https://twitter.com/#!/Sammyb01
sammy01 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 01:53 PM   #4
country flag serenus_2k8

serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute

i think the Elena and JJ matches were very exciting and decent quality too. Ive equally enjoyed Dinaras.

usopen and wimbledon
#219juniorchampions #220

venuswilliams serenawilliams
serenus_2k8 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 02:32 PM   #5
country flag Babolatpro880
Team WTAworld

Babolatpro880 has a reputation beyond repute Babolatpro880 has a reputation beyond repute Babolatpro880 has a reputation beyond repute Babolatpro880 has a reputation beyond repute Babolatpro880 has a reputation beyond repute Babolatpro880 has a reputation beyond repute Babolatpro880 has a reputation beyond repute Babolatpro880 has a reputation beyond repute Babolatpro880 has a reputation beyond repute Babolatpro880 has a reputation beyond repute Babolatpro880 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenus_2k8 View Post
i think the Elena and JJ matches were very exciting and decent quality too. Ive equally enjoyed Dinaras.
I was reasonably impressed with Rogowska's game in the first round at the open, but the match overall was Both girls had like 20 winners and 50 ue's. It was painful to watch.

2009 Australian Open Wildcard Playoff Winner
Babolatpro880 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 03:34 PM   #6
country flag Vlover

Vlover has a reputation beyond repute Vlover has a reputation beyond repute Vlover has a reputation beyond repute Vlover has a reputation beyond repute Vlover has a reputation beyond repute Vlover has a reputation beyond repute Vlover has a reputation beyond repute Vlover has a reputation beyond repute Vlover has a reputation beyond repute Vlover has a reputation beyond repute Vlover has a reputation beyond repute

Yea, so far most of the women's matches have been far more entertaining for the crowd than those atp matches that put me to bed at nights. The only late match I saw to the end was Serena's.

BTW UE doesn't bother me if the player is trying to be aggressive and hit their shots. I much prefer that than the endless get the ball back and wait until your opponent misses.
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 10:25 PM   #7
country flag Babolatpro880
Team WTAworld

Babolatpro880 has a reputation beyond repute Babolatpro880 has a reputation beyond repute Babolatpro880 has a reputation beyond repute Babolatpro880 has a reputation beyond repute Babolatpro880 has a reputation beyond repute Babolatpro880 has a reputation beyond repute Babolatpro880 has a reputation beyond repute Babolatpro880 has a reputation beyond repute Babolatpro880 has a reputation beyond repute Babolatpro880 has a reputation beyond repute Babolatpro880 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlover View Post
Yea, so far most of the women's matches have been far more entertaining for the crowd than those atp matches that put me to bed at nights. The only late match I saw to the end was Serena's.

BTW UE doesn't bother me if the player is trying to be aggressive and hit their shots. I much prefer that than the endless get the ball back and wait until your opponent misses.
Generally I agree, but the match between Safina and Rogowska wasn't like that. It was just poor.

2009 Australian Open Wildcard Playoff Winner
Babolatpro880 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 10:31 PM   #8
country flag cogent53

cogent53 has much to be proud of cogent53 has much to be proud of cogent53 has much to be proud of cogent53 has much to be proud of cogent53 has much to be proud of cogent53 has much to be proud of cogent53 has much to be proud of cogent53 has much to be proud of cogent53 has much to be proud of cogent53 has much to be proud of cogent53 has much to be proud of

I've also enjoyed a lot of the matched this year. Some slams recently have been pretty dull with few exciting matches. Yes, we would love to see beautiful tennis, but really it's the drama that is fun. The losses by Bartoli, Jankovic and Dementieva were not capitulations as someone else said. The other player played well and beat them. In many ways the most self combusting player has been Safina, but she's gritted out wins. Today we had another exciting match with Schiavone prevailing over Azarenka in another gripping three setters. I think the WTA - and the US Open - should be pleased. The women's draw has been more fun and exciting than for a while.
Wish the interminable 5 setter on Armstrong would hurry up. Waiting to see Kim!

Elena Dementieva Angelique Kerber Kim Clijsters Sabine Lisicki
Maria Sharapova
Sam Stosur Andrea Petkovic Svetlana Kuznetsova Yaroslava Shvedova

cogent53 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 10:55 PM   #9
country flag LeonHart

LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, our top players right now suck, they don't deserve to go deep into the slams with their mediocre play. I'm glad their opponents were able to step up rather than fall over like a flat piece of brick like we have seen in the past. Now if only someone can take it to Safina cause frankly she is playing worse than Dementieva, Jankovic or Ivanovic yet she's making it further cause of her cakewalk draw.

Sorana Cirstea - Stefanie Voegele - Michelle Larcher de Brito - Alexandra Dulgheru

Martina I will miss you!!
LeonHart is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2009, 03:46 PM   #10
country flag Corswandt

Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joana View Post
Agreed. This USO is a sign of the increased depth of the field on the WTA.
Corswandt is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote