Nina's News, Articles, Interviews. - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 28th, 2009, 04:44 PM   #1
country flag Dinayer
Bazinga! I dont care

Dinayer has a reputation beyond repute Dinayer has a reputation beyond repute Dinayer has a reputation beyond repute Dinayer has a reputation beyond repute Dinayer has a reputation beyond repute Dinayer has a reputation beyond repute Dinayer has a reputation beyond repute Dinayer has a reputation beyond repute Dinayer has a reputation beyond repute Dinayer has a reputation beyond repute Dinayer has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Nina's News, Articles, Interviews.

Kuznetsova responds in 3rd set

NEW HAVEN — Top-seeded Svetlana Kuznetsova had to fight through a second straight three-match battle on Wednesday, this time barely surviving defeat.

Belgium’s Yanina Wickmayer, a qualifier ranked 53rd in the world, pushed Kuznetsova to the brink at Stadium Court. Two points away from set point, Wickmayer had her serve broken by the 2007 Pilot Pen champion. The match eventually went to a tiebreaker, where Kuznetsova dominated to emerge with the 6-4, 5-7, 7-6 (2) victory.

“I can either think positive or think negative,”
said Wickmayer. “This just means I’m on the right way and I’m doing the right things, and I’m working hard to get my game up. Everything is really positive, I think.”

Indeed, Kuznetsova sounded like the one who lost, rather than the one who advanced to face good friend Amelie Mauresmo in a quarterfinal match today.

“She played good, she was on her serve,” said Kuznetsova, who survived a 6-1, 6-7 (5), 6-4 first-round win over Jie Zheng on Monday. “I don’t think I played my best. She had no pressure to play me. For me, it was tough. To win this match, it makes me better prepared for the U.S. Open and to be in shape more. I’m improving. I’m not playing my best yet.”

Kuznetsova, who has French and U.S. Open titles on her resume, saved her best for last. Leading 3-2 in the tiebreaker, she converted a terrific drop shot that Wickmayer couldn’t return. With Kuznetsova on serve, Wickmayer approached the net with a chance to put away a backhand but hit it straight into the net. Kuznetsova then landed another nice drop shot that Wickmayer again returned into the net.

Kuznetsova’s ace ended the match.

“I must say, I think she played perfectly in the tiebreak,” Wickmayer reasoned. “She didn’t miss one shot. Honestly, I couldn’t do anything better in the tiebreaker. She played so amazingly well.”

For Wickmayer, who notched her first WTA Tour victory in May at Estoril, Portugal, another chance to truly break through and make a name for herself fell by the wayside. Earlier in the month in Los Angeles, she was “playing as well as ever” before being bounced in a tough three sets by Vera Zvonareva. But she’s confident she’ll learn from these near-misses.

“A few more matches against the top players and, in the next five or six matches, I’m probably going to win one,” Wickmayer reasoned. “And once you can beat them once, I think there’s a step you make and it makes it easier mentally to finish a match like this.”
Dinayer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 28th, 2009, 04:45 PM   #2
country flag Dinayer
Bazinga! I dont care

Dinayer has a reputation beyond repute Dinayer has a reputation beyond repute Dinayer has a reputation beyond repute Dinayer has a reputation beyond repute Dinayer has a reputation beyond repute Dinayer has a reputation beyond repute Dinayer has a reputation beyond repute Dinayer has a reputation beyond repute Dinayer has a reputation beyond repute Dinayer has a reputation beyond repute Dinayer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Nina's News, Articles, Interviews.

Nina good to know that she's learning from these matches she's really close
Old Aug 29th, 2009, 12:03 AM   #3
country flag hellas719

hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Wickmayer. Venus. Ivanovic. Cirstea. Halep.
Azarenka. Krajicek. Tatishvili. Flipkens. Pironkova.
Lisicki. Paszek. Vesnina. Pavlyuchenkova. Cornet.
Stephens. Oudin. King. Vandeweghe. McHale.
Grammatikopoulou ~ Papamichail ~ Sakkari
hellas719 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2009, 09:14 AM   #4
country flag tea
taking fanboyism to a whole new level

tea has a reputation beyond repute tea has a reputation beyond repute tea has a reputation beyond repute tea has a reputation beyond repute tea has a reputation beyond repute tea has a reputation beyond repute tea has a reputation beyond repute tea has a reputation beyond repute tea has a reputation beyond repute tea has a reputation beyond repute tea has a reputation beyond repute

Monday, September 7, 2009
Y. WICKMAYER/P. Kvitova

4 6, 6 4, 7 5

An interview with: Yanina Wickmayer
THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. I was betting you were going to the semifinal. Were you?
YANINA WICKMAYER: Uhm, well, I'm still trying to enjoy my match actually (laughter). I don't know what to say yet.
I guess I have one more day off tomorrow to realize I'm in quarters and prepare for the next one, I guess.

Q. You both went out with maybe a potential match with Bondarenko or Wozniacki. Did that put you under more pressure to win today?
YANINA WICKMAYER: No, not really. I guess today was a match I know she was going to be tough. I know she beated Safina two days ago, so I knew it was going to be a tough match.
I played her before and I beated her on clay, but I know she's a really tough opponent.
So, yeah, even the match was really tight and really close, so I'm just really happy to get through this one.

Q. You were down 2 5. She also swept away a match point. Did that shake your confidence at all?
YANINA WICKMAYER: No, not really actually. From 5 2 to 5 All she played pretty well. 5 All, I just thought, Well, no breaks anymore. It was my serve again. I just thought, We'll start over, keep fighting for every shot.
Sometimes she makes a lot of winners; sometimes she made mistakes. I guess I just kept on hanging in there. She was the one that made the mistake.
So, yeah, really happy I got through this.

Q. At the beginning of last week, would you have thought you could be here now in the quarterfinals?
YANINA WICKMAYER: No. I think if you've never played quarterfinals, if your furthest in a Grand Slam is second round, I don't think you can expect anything.
I was feeling well the last few weeks. I was playing well. I was winning a lot of matches, playing good matches against the top players. So I was feeling pretty confident.
But playing quarters in a Grand Slam for the first time is just, yeah, a special moment I guess.

Q. When you look at what Oudin did here, do you take inspiration from that?
YANINA WICKMAYER: Well, they asked me the same question like two days ago. Well, I have to admire that she's really playing well. Watched a few of her matches.
I watched the first and the second set today. Yeah, she's a really good player. She's really a big fighter on the court. I love the mentality of her.
So, yeah, I guess it's just nice to watch that there are newcomers coming up, young girls that are trying to, yeah, get higher in the rankings and try to beat the top players.
I guess I'm one of them, the younger ones, who is trying to take over the spot. So, no, yeah, I saw her in the locker rooms, wished her congratulations, because it's great doing something like this.

Q. Where did you learn to speak so well English?
YANINA WICKMAYER: Well, I lived in Tampa for three years, so it's been a long time. I guess it always stays with me.

Q. In Tampa with a trainer?
YANINA WICKMAYER: Saddlebrook.

Q. Why did you go there? Capriati?
YANINA WICKMAYER: Well, uhm, I went there when I was nine. I lost my mom when I was nine. I wanted to get away from home. I loved playing tennis.
I was actually only playing for half a year. So I really enjoyed it, but just wanted to get away from home and do other stuff, be around other people. That's why we left.

Q. That was a mature decision. Was it your decision?
YANINA WICKMAYER: Yeah, it was completely mine. I still don't know how I did it when I was nine. I guess I was older than I thought I was.

Q. What was the reaction of your father?
YANINA WICKMAYER: Well, I have to admire him for giving up everything he had. He gave up his job. He gave up his friends. Yeah, he gave up the house, his cars, and we just left.
Yeah, he put his whole life, yeah, in point of me, so I respect him for that. Everything I have now is a little bit because of him just because, yeah, he trusted me. He wanted to make me happy no matter what.
I guess he always believed in me. He always supported me. Even when I had some few tough years, I didn't get through well, but he always been there next to me and supported me.
Yeah, he's a great guy.

Q. What did he do in Belgium?
YANINA WICKMAYER: Well, he did buildings. He was actually he had his own company. He told his guys all, yeah, he was gonna quit. So he gave up everything for me, so I guess a great guy.

Q. You said he was a builder?
YANINA WICKMAYER: Yeah, he made buildings.

Q. Construction?
YANINA WICKMAYER: Yeah, constructions and stuff like that. Yeah, all kinds.

Q. It was a big bet, you being nine years old, to expect you could become a tennis champion and leave everything.
YANINA WICKMAYER: Actually, he didn't leave everything because he expected me to be a champion. Actually he just left everything to make me happy. I guess that's a whole lot of difference.
When I was nine, I wasn't even I loved playing tennis, but I never thought I was going to be a professional and do this every day. I still went to school when I was nine. I was just a little girl enjoying playing.
I guess every year I kept on playing. I loved it a little more and I got a little better. That's how the story goes.
But he gave up everything just to make his little girl happy, not to make her a tennis champion.

Q. How did your mother die?
YANINA WICKMAYER: Cancer.

(The ending part is . I am so happy, that the brave decision she and her father have made, is paying off now with a great results in her sports career.)
tea is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2009, 10:26 AM   #5
country flag Dinayer
Bazinga! I dont care

thank you
Im so happy for her, she deserves this!
Old Sep 8th, 2009, 04:36 PM   #6
country flag Dorien.
Proud Momosapien ♥

Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the interview

Andrea Petkovic - Sara Errani - Jarka Gajdosova - Alizé Cornet
Dorien. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2009, 04:57 PM   #7
country flag hellas719

hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Old Sep 9th, 2009, 05:17 PM   #8
country flag JOCHEBEL

JOCHEBEL has much to be proud of JOCHEBEL has much to be proud of JOCHEBEL has much to be proud of JOCHEBEL has much to be proud of JOCHEBEL has much to be proud of JOCHEBEL has much to be proud of JOCHEBEL has much to be proud of JOCHEBEL has much to be proud of JOCHEBEL has much to be proud of JOCHEBEL has much to be proud of JOCHEBEL has much to be proud of

BELGIANS!

An argentinian reporter : Pablo Stecco said that Nina's mother was a very fan of Diego Maradona the best football player ever in my country (Argentina). One of Maradona's daughter called Yanina and thats why her mother choose the same name to call our Nina Wickmayer

Argentina and Belgium
Vakulenko · Muller · Santangelo · Bammer · Dulko · Bartoli · A.Bondarenko · Clisjters · Henin · Yakimova
FITD Estoril '09 Kuala Lumpur '11
JOCHEBEL is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 05:18 PM   #9
country flag Dinayer
Bazinga! I dont care

oh, thanks for telling us!
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 06:35 PM   #10
country flag hellas719

Old Sep 9th, 2009, 07:47 PM   #11
country flag Dorien.
Proud Momosapien ♥

Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, that's true. I didn't know you don't know this

Old Sep 9th, 2009, 08:11 PM   #12
country flag hellas719

I heard it again today on TV

Old Sep 10th, 2009, 03:06 AM   #13
country flag JOCHEBEL

JOCHEBEL has much to be proud of JOCHEBEL has much to be proud of JOCHEBEL has much to be proud of JOCHEBEL has much to be proud of JOCHEBEL has much to be proud of JOCHEBEL has much to be proud of JOCHEBEL has much to be proud of JOCHEBEL has much to be proud of JOCHEBEL has much to be proud of JOCHEBEL has much to be proud of JOCHEBEL has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorien. View Post
Yes, that's true. I didn't know you don't know this
i know a lot of things about Nina but the origin of her name...i never ask myself of it...

Now, i know that she belong to Argentina too
Vakulenko · Muller · Santangelo · Bammer · Dulko · Bartoli · A.Bondarenko · Clisjters · Henin · Yakimova
FITD Estoril '09 Kuala Lumpur '11
JOCHEBEL is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 09:41 AM   #14
country flag Dorien.
Proud Momosapien ♥

Is there a same kind of interview like after the match against Kvitova from after the match against Bondarenko?

Old Sep 10th, 2009, 09:51 AM   #15
Petkorazzi

Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute

Petkorazzi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote