Big West - 2010 key matches - Page 9 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 13th, 2010, 06:00 PM   #121
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all
Re: Updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytennis View Post
Pepperdine is another team that shouldn't be ranked. All these matches where they are getting killed are at home. Now they are on the road for awhile.
Pepperdine defeated #31 Rice and #34 UNLV. However all of Pepperdine's losses have been to top 40 teams including 6 losses from teams in the top 15.

Pepperdine also has a player Khunpak Issara who had an ITF ranking high of #32, so a potential #1 singles player for them, that's been missing in action this Spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by form View Post
# 54 Nebraska 7-0 over # 52 Colorado ... Nebraska (11-1) has played 11 of 12 at home and all indoors so far
Nebraska justed added Patricia Veresova this Spring. She's a 20 year old freshman with a WTA ranking high of #529.

I'm hoping Veresova is still ineligible by the UCI match but begins in time for Big 12 play.
gouci is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 16th, 2010, 06:45 AM   #122
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all

3/15/10

#46 Boise St. def. BYU 5-2

1. #26 McCall Jones/Megan Price (BYU) def. #23 Pichittra Thongdach/Lauren Megale (BSU) 8-0

1. #52 McCall Jones (BYU) def. #42 Pichittra Thongdach (BSU) 6-3, 6-2

#34 UNLV def. Hawaii 6-1

#37 Pepperdine def. Fresno St. 6-1

- Again Fresno St. doesn't indicate on the headline of their release that they lost the match or mention their 0-10 record anywhere on the release.

San Diego def. CSUN 5-2

#54 Nebraska def. Missouri 7-0

- Patricia Veresova didn't play for Nebraska. Hopefully Veresova won't accompany the huskers on their Southern California road trip.

San Diego St. upsets #48 St. Mary's 4-3

1. Alex Poorta (SMC) def. #65 Julia Trunk (SDSU), 6-2, 6-4
2. #71 Alicia Aguilar (SDSU) def. Catherine Isip (SMC), 6-4, 4-6, 6-4
3. Julia Wais (SDSU) def. Anna Chikhikvishvili (SMC), 6-7(5), 6-4, 6-2
4. Claire Soper (SMC) def. Sierra Ellison (SDSU), 6-3, 6-4
5. Roxanne Ellison (SDSU) def. Alisa Spitzer (SMC), 6-2, 1-6, 7-6(5)
6. Olivia Colman (SDSU) def. Molly Aloia (SMC), 6-7(8), 6-2, 6-3

LMU upsets #52 Minnesota 4-3

- Minnesota wins the doubles point then decides to sit out their #2 & #3 singles Tijana Koprivica & Alexa Palen which comes back to bite them.

Last edited by gouci : Mar 16th, 2010 at 08:18 AM.
Old Mar 17th, 2010, 06:53 AM   #123
country flag gouci

3/16/10

Cal St. Northridge upsets #60 Washington St. 4-3

Doubles:

1. Brooke Doane and Anna Yang (CSUN) def. Lea Jansen and Marina Nicolas (WSU) 8-4
2. Nina Jaworowski and Whitney Paluch (CSUN) def. Liudmila Vasilieva and Ksenia Googe (WSU) 8-3
3. Maria Pistalu and Nigora Sirojiddinova (CSUN) def. Elisabeth Fournier and Andjela Kankaras (WSU) 8-6

Order of Finish: 1,2,3

Singles:

1. Vasilieva (WSU) def. Doane (CSUN): 6-2, 6-1
2. Fournier (WSU) def. Jaworowski (CSUN): 6-2, 6-4
3. Googe (WSU) def. Paluch (CSUN): 6-2, 6-3
4. Sirojiddinova (CSUN) def. Kankaras (WSU): 6-4, 6-3
5. Yang (CSUN) def. Nicolas (WSU) 6-0, 0-6, 7-6 (5)
6. Pistalu (CSUN) def. Jessica Gomez (WSU): 4-6, 6-3, 6-2

Order of FInish: 1,2,4,3,5,6

San Francisco def. Marquette 4-3
Old Mar 17th, 2010, 08:02 PM   #124
country flag johnnytennis

johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice
Re: Big West - 2010 key matches

Quote:
CSUN must be improving rapidly

Minnesota coach pulls bonehead move of all time... LMU is awful but if you pull your top players after easily sweeping doubles... I guess you deserve to get beat don't you.

Pepperdine is better than # 50... their loses are all to pretty good teams

St. Mary's losing to SDSU is mystifying... no doubt that won't happen again.

Ivy League is massively over rated. Princeton, Yale and Dartmouth should be around 50-60 at best but being northeast coast hides them.

And those polls are a joke that over rate some regions and some leagues. Arizona was once top 40 and that was a joke. Then getting thumped by Wazoo... who then gets thumped by Northridge and the CSUN D2 schedule of the year. Somebody massively over rates the bottom half of some BCS (Pac 10) leagues. Neither will finish ranked this year most likely... though Wazoo still has some good non conf matches left to redeem themselves. As I said sometime ago, it then takes several spins of the 'computer' to clean that committee poll up. The ITA should spin the computer twice every week and not just the last week.
Minnesota pulled them not to rest them but because they were both hurt. They were able to play a less stress on the body doubles match but not singles.
johnnytennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 06:05 AM   #125
country flag gouci

Quote:
As I said sometime ago, it then takes several spins of the 'computer' to clean that committee poll up. The ITA should spin the computer twice every week and not just the last week.
If the computer is being used now why aren't they showing the point totals for each team?

Does it cost money for the ITA to spin the computer? I agree why not just run it twice every week.

3/17/10

San Diego upsets #70 Washington St. 4-3

1. Juliette Coupez (USD) def. No. 75 Liudmila Vasilieva (WSU) - 3-6, 7-6 (4), 6-3

#53 Long Beach St. def. #55 Minnesota 4-3

This season so far:
Big West = 2
Big 10 = 0
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 07:06 AM   #126
country flag gouci

3/18/10

#51 Harvard def. #55 Saint Mary's 4-3

#23 VCU def. TCU 5-2

Last edited by gouci : Mar 20th, 2010 at 07:05 PM.
Old Mar 20th, 2010, 02:02 AM   #127
country flag gouci

Congrats on defeating #42 Nebraska!

Huge non-conference win for the Big West!

Scoreboard:
Big West = 1
Big 12 = 0

Did Patricia Veresova accompany Nebraska?
Old Mar 20th, 2010, 04:50 AM   #128
country flag gouci

3/19/10

Houston def. CS Fullerton 5-2

CSUN def. Wyoming 4-3

- Nice win over a Mountain West team.
Old Mar 21st, 2010, 06:16 AM   #129
country flag gouci

3/20/10

#43 Boise St. def. Denver 4-3

1. #101 Ute Schnoy (Den) def. #48 Pichittra Thongdach (BS) 6-7,7-5,10-6

Denver def. San Diego 4-3

Cal Poly upsets #38 Darmouth 6-1

This might be one of the biggest wins Cal Poly has ever had. I don't recall the mustangs ever beating a higher ranked team.

This season:
Big West = 1
Ivy League = 0

The 6-1 score makes me think that UCSB and CSUN has a chance of upsetting Dartmouth too.

If UCSB can beat Dartmouth added to their UCI win they will be ranked at year's end. If CSUN can beat Dartmouth added to their Washington St. win they might be ranked at year's end. If UCSB and CSUN both beat Dartmouth the Big West might get 5 teams ranked at the end of the year.

Having Cal Poly, UCSB and CSUN all ranked may boost both LBS and UCI into the top 30 and receiving winnable NCAA 1st round match-ups.
Old Mar 21st, 2010, 10:56 PM   #130
country flag gouci

#42 Nebraska def. #74 UCI 4-3

boxscore

2. #70 Mary Weatherholt def. Courtney Byron 7-5,2-6,6-3

- With Stephanie Hammel still injured and Brooke Bartlett less than 100% UCI was practically conceding 2 points in singles to Nebraska after the huskers had won the doubles point. But Nebraska still felt the need to stack #70 Weatherholt at #2 to get the win.
Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 06:09 AM   #131
country flag gouci

3/21/10

Fresno St. def. Pacific 4-3

- Pacific went up 3-0 vs Fresno St. but couldn't close out a winless team and found a way to lose it. Pacific lost the last 3 points to 3 setters even though Pacific won the 1st set in 2 of those 3.

#50 Pepperdine def. #64 San Diego St. 4-3

- Pepperdine ducks Trunk and drops #83 Arianna Colffer to #2 singles.

Wyoming def. CS Fullerton 7-0

#43 Boise St. def. San Diego 4-3

#11 Stanford def. Cal Poly 6-1

1. Blalock/Matzenauer (CP) d. #2 Barte/L. Burdette (STAN) 8-5

2. Brittany Blalock (CP) d. No. 40 Lindsay Burdette (STAN) 4-6, 6-1, (10-0)

- The doubles win will certainly get the Cal Poly team ranked.

- No doubt Matzenauer played 1 singles so losing to #8 Hilary Barte doesn't hurt Matz's ranking.

Last edited by gouci : Mar 22nd, 2010 at 06:34 AM.
Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 07:29 PM   #132
country flag gouci

Quote:
It will be one heck of a BW Tourney... with three real teams and then UCSB jumpbling the draw so that a 2 or 3 seed may get a break in the semi's

What is wrong with Hammel? She got hurt in Fullerton match a couple weeks ago.
Form what are the tie-breakers if Cal Poly, UCI and UCSB all finish with 2 losses?

It's bad news for Hammel and UCI. She had a fiberglass cast on her arm.
She'll be lucky to return for the Big West Tournament.
Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 11:26 PM   #133
country flag Embittered

Embittered has disabled reputation

Seems Dartmouth beat UCSB 4-3 (losing three dead rubbers from 4-0)
Embittered is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 04:31 PM   #134
country flag johnnytennis

johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice

Quote:
Trying to be objective... so here goes

LB was awful today.

# 36 (temporarily) Long Beach 1, # 45 Ohio State 6

OSU totally dominated doubles. Where has LB's doubles gone?
In singles, Manasse rocks at # 4 and Armstrong drops tough 6-7, 6-2, 0-1 at # 3

The rest... LB beat LB.... completely outclassed at # 1 and # 5. At # 2, Dallara up 5-2 and serving in first and loses 7-5, 6-3

Has LB been over achieving all year without true # 1 or was this a bad day. Either way, LB beat LB with countless unforced errors.

See, I can be objective about my favorite team. Ick. Bad news for the whole league... this was a real opportunity lost.
Playing good teams will do that to you. Ohio State is a lot better then their ranking. They lose to Purdue and they dropped like a rock. They are a top 25-30 team.
These rankings make you shake your head with how they are moving teams all over the place.
johnnytennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 02:08 AM   #135
country flag gouci

#49 Dartmouth def. CS Northridge 5-2

1. Scott/Winingham (D) def. Doane/Yang (CSUN) 9-7
2. Jaworowski/Paluch (CSUN) def. Leonard/Carissa King (D) 8-2
3. Sirijddinova/Pistalu (CSUN) def. Smyser/Adler (D) 8-6

1. Molly Scott (D) def. Brooke Doane (CSUN) in 2 sets.
2. Sarah Leonard (D) def. Nina Jaworowski (CSUN) in 2 sets.
3. Mary Winingham (D) def. Whitney Paluch (CSUN) 2-6,6-4,6-4
4. Jesse Adler (D) def. Nigora Sirijddinova (CSUN) in 2 sets.
5. Anna Yang (CSUN) def. Georginana Smyser (D) in 2 sets.
6. Ryan Reichel (D) def. Maria Pistalu (CSUN) def. 7-6(1),6-7,7-5

At #3 CSUN was up 4-3 in the 3rd set.

At #6 CSUN was up 4-1 in the 3rd set.

CSUN was ahead in both of the 3rd sets but couldn't close it out.

This could have been the biggest win of the year for the conference that CSUN just let slip away.