Big West - 2010 key matches - Page 11 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 10th, 2010, 05:49 AM   #151
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Big West - 2010 key matches

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouci View Post
4/9/10

#54 Pepperdine def. #58 Cal Poly 6-1
Bhargava defeated Matzenauer, who defeated Remynse

"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 10th, 2010, 05:51 AM   #152
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

No. 1
Courtney Byron (UCI) def. Juliette Coupez (USD)
6-2, 6-1

I can't believe Byron is playing at #1, AND defeating Coupez

Coupez

Well this year's USD wasn't that strong anyway, but still.

"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
Old Apr 10th, 2010, 06:04 AM   #153
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

It IS strange, since they defeated LSU this January. But I didn't feel they were especially good.

And from what I saw that day UCI and LBS were GOOD, so overall result is not that surprising, at least for me.

- Woodrow Wilson
Old Apr 10th, 2010, 06:07 AM   #154
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

Actually for me SDS beating TCU is the shocker of the day

1. #50 Julia Trunk (SDSU) def. #63 Nina Munch-Soegaard (TCU), 6-2, 7-5
2. #78 Alicia Aguilar (SDSU) def. #90 Kayla Duncan (TCU), 3-6, 6-3

No words, no words.

- Woodrow Wilson
Old Apr 11th, 2010, 02:09 AM   #155
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

I might visit LBS tomorrow to watch Soper perform that leg-through serve again

- Woodrow Wilson
Old Apr 11th, 2010, 11:37 PM   #156
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

LBS campus was nice..

Today LBS prepared a STICKER & A PAPER MAGNET LISTING TENNIS AND VOLLEYBALL SCHEDULE

Does St. Mary specialize in slices? All players pretty much execute that very well..it really

helped on their doubles matches, too, methink.

#3 Armstrong was today rock solid...seemed calm too. I thought A would have difficulty

handling Chikhikvishvili's (is this right? ) 's power drives, but no problem. Excellent

control.

#4 Soper vs Manasse

First want to thank Ms. Soper for her kindness.

She this time performed the 'leg through' WHENEVER POSSIBLE (form did you see her

bouncing the ball before serving? ) Previously I rated that below Ms. Wolf (LSU)'s original

but changed my mind. Whereas Wolf and Schnack performed that while standing, Soper did it

while WALKING. That merits extra point

Soper's defense trumped Manasse's offense. M's drives are quite powerful but S was agile

enough to get to the ball and return it. Her slices helped to slow down the pace. And her drives

were quite sharp too. Soper's control was superior to M's. M made too many UEs.

#2 Dallara vs Poorta

1st set was EXCELLENT. EXCELLENT. Dallara showed a textbook response to Poorta's usual

delay game.

ATTACK THE NET. She came to the net whenever possible, and executed beautiful volleys.

She was even successful in the rallying battle.

Then the situation turned around. Dallara missed some putaway chances, Poorta regained

her composure..2nd and early 3rd set was completely Poorta's game. Slow and long rally.

Maybe Dallara wasn't aggressive enough. Didn't come to the net more often. D did rally later

on and came close, 4-5 in the 3rd set.

#1 Alawi vs Isip

Didn't see much, watched the first and last few games. Isip was a better attacker.

All together highly entertaining match. It wasn't an easy win for St. Mary, for sure.

- Woodrow Wilson
Old Apr 12th, 2010, 02:23 AM   #157
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

some tidbits;

*There was some eerie chanting First I thought it was a team fight-song or something. Found out that it was coming from

the adjacent soccer field. (felt like a vigil ! )

*St. Mary's players wore hood jackets, on the back which were engraved each player's first name.

Such as... Alisa. And.. MOLLS (but...shouldn't it be Molly? )

*One spectator sported a cap on the back which the following phrase was engraved;

'BYPASS THE BYPASS'

* Alex Poorta executed a beautiful cross court drop shot on the run while playing doubles.

- Woodrow Wilson
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 01:16 AM   #158
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

LBS( promo ) is the best I've ever been to. And I went to a LOT of universities to watch matches

but, for providing meals like pizza, you can't beat USC

- Woodrow Wilson
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 05:34 AM   #159
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all

4/12/10

Pacific def. UC Davis 6-1

#58 Cal Poly def. Santa Clara 6-1

#35 UNLV def. #73 TCU 4-3

#52 St. Mary's def. #64 San Diego 4-3

- For a team that supposedly has already quit, #64 San Diego put up a better fight against St. Mary's than #33 Long Beach St. did.

UC Davis vs Santa Clara = rain canceled
gouci is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 05:42 AM   #160
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

Quote:
Originally Posted by form View Post
Maybe I should be a little softer... here is another singles match... coming off several dominating efforts... that then makes you go ???

#54 Pepperdine 5, San Francisco 2

Doubles

1) Anamika Bhargava/Marie Zalameda (PEP) def. Jennifer-Lee Heinser/Melinda Akerbrant (USF), 8-3
2) Arianna Colffer/Ali Walters (PEP) def. Cecilia Gratian/Julia Wartenburger (USF), 8-2
3) Tania Rice/Andrea Oates (PEP) def. Yurie Hashiguchi/Alana McMahon (USF), 8-4
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3

Singles

1) #122 Jennifer-Lee Heinser (USF) def. #87 Arianna Colffer (PEP), 6-1, 6-1
2) #120 Anamika Bhargava (PEP) def. Julia Wartenburger (USF), 6-0, 6-3
3) Ali Walters (PEP) def. Cecilia Gratian (USF), 6-1, 6-0
4) Andrea Oates (PEP) def. Melinda Akerbrant (USF), 6-4, 6-1
5) Marie Zalameda (PEP) def. Yurie Hashiguchi (USF), 5-7, 6-3, 6-3
6) Jessy Mekpoh (USF) def. Tania Rice (PEP), 3-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-4)
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1, 4, 6, 5

Records: #54 Pepperdine 9-12, San Francisco 11-8
I actually was tempted by that #1 match between Heinser and Colffer..Heinser is doing well recently

But I wanted to see Soper do the leg-through with my own eyes

- Woodrow Wilson

Last edited by fantic : Apr 13th, 2010 at 04:01 PM.
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 08:32 PM   #161
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all

UCI destroys San Diego and instead of giving UCI credit your conclusion without having seen the match in person is that San Diego had quit. Form your huge anti-UCI bias is showing.

Quote:
Perhaps St Mary's was looking ahead?
Form your bias is causing you to come up with flawed reasoning. Why would St. Mary's who's trying to win the WCC regular season title look past a ranked conference opponent in San Diego in favor of a non-conference match vs LBS?

Quote:
I would love your thought on how USD could be so bad against wounded Irvine and competitive 3 days later cause the USD scores vs UCI were not compeitive. Have the Eater magic seeds returned?
Let me 1st talk about why the San Diego vs St. Mary's match was more competitive.

1. USD vs SMC was a conference match. Those inter league face-offs can be closer because teams are more familiar against other teams in their conference.

2. USD had a chance at a 3-way tie for 1st place in the WCC by knocking off 1st place St. Mary's who had already given Pepperdine 1 loss in conference. This probably gave San Diego extra motivation.

Now some reasons why UCI was fired up and crushed San Diego.

1. Four of UCI's players for some time had been forced to play 2 spots higher than where they started the season. Being thrown into the fire will result in more losses but a hidden benefit is the players will probably improve having played the better competition. Now anytime these players move back down like against San Diego the result is more confidence against easier competition lower in the line-up.

2. UCI has had it's #1 & #2 singles injured for most of the season. Losing to several ranked teams that a healthy UCI probably could have defeated was very frustrating. So when April Bisharat came back against San Diego that probably fired up the entire team.

3. San Diego was UCI's final home match of the season. This was extra motivation for UCI to win.
Old Apr 17th, 2010, 06:03 AM   #162
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

#47 Pepperdine 4, #40 Long Beach State 3

Doubles

1) #54 Anamika Bhargava/Marie Zalameda (PEP) def. Deborah Armstrong/Anais Dallara (LBSU), 8-1
2) Jaklin Alawi/Rachel Manasse (LBSU) def. Arianna Colffer/Ali Walters (PEP), 8-1
3) Sarah Cantlay/Julie Luzar (LBSU) def. Andrea Oates/Tania Rice (PEP), 8-6
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3

Singles

1) #82 Arianna Colffer (PEP) def. Jaklin Alawi (LBSU), 6-3, 6-1
2) Anais Dallara (LBSU) def. Anamika Bhargava (PEP), 7-6 (4), 5-7, 6-2
3) Ali Walters (PEP) def. Deborah Armstrong (LBSU), 7-5, 6-2
4) Andrea Oates (PEP) def. Rachel Manasse (LBSU), 6-2, 6-2
5) Marie Zalameda (PEP) def. Anna Jeczmionka (LBSU), 6-7 (5), 7-5, 6-4
6) Sarah Cantlay (LBSU) def. Tania Rice (PEP), 6-1, 6-1
Order of finish: 6, 4, 1, 3, 2, 5

Records: #47 Pepperdine 10-12, #40 Long Beach State 16-5

Pepperdine's recent doubles are terrible. They usually BEAT Texas on doubles. Not their usual selves..

And Dallara, wow. She's tough. Otherwise no unusual scores there, except Rice shouldn't lose to Cantlay that easily..

- Woodrow Wilson
Old Apr 17th, 2010, 09:10 AM   #163
country flag Embittered

Embittered has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantic View Post
#47 Pepperdine 4, #40 Long Beach Otherwise no unusual scores there, except Rice shouldn't lose to Cantlay that easily..
And according to the other side, she didn't: http://www.longbeachstate.com/sports...041610aaa.html There's also disagreement about the order of finish...
Embittered is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2010, 02:58 PM   #164
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

2nd set 6-4 ! Well that's a bit more reasonable?

- Woodrow Wilson
Old Apr 17th, 2010, 03:40 PM   #165
country flag gouci

Speaking of Pepperdine... hey Form do you know if Khunpak Issara has junior status like she's listed on the Pepperdine roster? That would be weird since Issara is only 18 and she hasn't played in a college dual match yet.

How many years of eligibility does Issara have left?