Help! I just got double bagelled and don't know what to do anymore - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 1st, 2009, 10:39 AM   #1
country flag toxina90

toxina90 has a reputation beyond repute toxina90 has a reputation beyond repute toxina90 has a reputation beyond repute toxina90 has a reputation beyond repute toxina90 has a reputation beyond repute toxina90 has a reputation beyond repute toxina90 has a reputation beyond repute toxina90 has a reputation beyond repute toxina90 has a reputation beyond repute toxina90 has a reputation beyond repute toxina90 has a reputation beyond repute
Help! I just got double bagelled and don't know what to do anymore

This is my 2nd competitive match and I lost my first one easily aswell. I was indoors for the first time because of the rain, and I was very comfortable mentally and physically, and was impressed with my hitting in the warm up (like last time)

I even was given a point handicap - then a 2 point handicap on his serve. A 2 game system. I just felt fine but I was double bagelled I failed to convert 7 game points and 8 break points.

Now I am happy with my hitting and stuff - and although both times my opponents have been much older and larger and more experienced than me, I just can't get my head around getting a game despite all the chances. Those reasons are not excuses.

I am just so disappointed, because I really wanted to tell people I had done well and enjoyed myself

Does anyone have any tips like who have had similar situations? Is it because of my inexperience, or am I just SHIT

Cheers!

Zakopalova~Dulko~Paszek~Pironkova~Clijsters~Golovi n~K.Bondarenko~Bouchard~Tsurenko

Schiavone~Li~Petkovic~Perebiynis~Mirza~Morigami~Fe dak~Hradecka~A.Radwanska~Peer
toxina90 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 1st, 2009, 11:13 AM   #2
country flag Convoluted

Convoluted has much to be proud of Convoluted has much to be proud of Convoluted has much to be proud of Convoluted has much to be proud of Convoluted has much to be proud of Convoluted has much to be proud of Convoluted has much to be proud of Convoluted has much to be proud of Convoluted has much to be proud of Convoluted has much to be proud of Convoluted has much to be proud of
Re: Help! I just got double bagelled and don't know what to do anymore

It's inexperience . Once you start playing matches you'll get more efficient, and you'll learn how to not only hit the ball well, but also how to win points/games/sets/matches.

I had a problem with choking my first year I played competitively (lost 12 matches in a year, 6 of which I had a matchpoint ) and was something like 0-10 in tie-breaks (including some horrid losses from 6-1 up). After a while I got more confident and now I'm actually able to handle pressure situations very well: coming back from matchpoint down several times, never losing after having matchpoint this season .

In short: It just takes some time. As long as you're enjoying it you'll be fine
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 11:24 AM   #3
country flag hingis-seles

hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute

Don't put so much pressure on yourself. It will come naturally. Just enjoy yourself.

One thing that worked with me when I used to play was I'd actually think of what commentators would be saying after that point - it worked! It makes you think of what you need to change, etc.

You can try playing practice sets or games, to work on your ability to close out games and sets, if you have a hitting partner, before these matches you play.
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 11:33 AM   #4
country flag toxina90

toxina90 has a reputation beyond repute toxina90 has a reputation beyond repute toxina90 has a reputation beyond repute toxina90 has a reputation beyond repute toxina90 has a reputation beyond repute toxina90 has a reputation beyond repute toxina90 has a reputation beyond repute toxina90 has a reputation beyond repute toxina90 has a reputation beyond repute toxina90 has a reputation beyond repute toxina90 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I think that is important because I do enjoy it - I am not like being a brat when losing points - like today I couldn't reach his winners even when I splitted to the ball I think I am mature just so desperate for the unknown winning feeling. (actually I win sometimes when practice but not competitive yet)

Does anyone have like tips for breathing technique? I tried but kept forgetting (sometimes I breathe in before and let it go when hitting the ball - not grunt but like a whisper or something) do you think this is beneficial at all? Just sometimes I think it helped me hit better.

Also if anything I am proud of one particular BP I saved - I have never been taught my strokes by a coach or anything, but when his balls kept coming back I just slowed it down and did a drop shot which I have never attempted before and it worked! I was so happy! Too bad I lost that game aswell
I couldn't believe when it went over the net

The thing with the scoreline that bugs me is it looks so horrible and I feel so but at least I think it was closer than that

Zakopalova~Dulko~Paszek~Pironkova~Clijsters~Golovi n~K.Bondarenko~Bouchard~Tsurenko

Schiavone~Li~Petkovic~Perebiynis~Mirza~Morigami~Fe dak~Hradecka~A.Radwanska~Peer
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 11:49 AM   #5
country flag rockstar

rockstar has a reputation beyond repute rockstar has a reputation beyond repute rockstar has a reputation beyond repute rockstar has a reputation beyond repute rockstar has a reputation beyond repute rockstar has a reputation beyond repute rockstar has a reputation beyond repute rockstar has a reputation beyond repute rockstar has a reputation beyond repute rockstar has a reputation beyond repute rockstar has a reputation beyond repute

play more practice matches i guess?

JELENA JANKOVIC - CAROLINE WOZNIACKI
rockstar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 11:54 AM   #6
country flag toxina90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar View Post
play more practice matches i guess?
That will work - weather permitting - and partner availability permitting

My courts down the street are shale, and like playing on quick sand when it is slightly damp

Old Aug 1st, 2009, 01:33 PM   #7
country flag BournemouthBoy

BournemouthBoy has much to be proud of BournemouthBoy has much to be proud of BournemouthBoy has much to be proud of BournemouthBoy has much to be proud of BournemouthBoy has much to be proud of BournemouthBoy has much to be proud of BournemouthBoy has much to be proud of BournemouthBoy has much to be proud of BournemouthBoy has much to be proud of BournemouthBoy has much to be proud of BournemouthBoy has much to be proud of

have you thought about taking up bowls instead?
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 03:58 PM   #8
country flag toxina90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oryem View Post
I think it's a good sign that you were able to get break points /game points. It shows you were able to stay in and win points in the match so the reality is that the only problem is playing the important points well.
Suggestion : don't think too much about it being a game point or the significance of breaking your opponent. Play each point like it's an ordinary point you were going to win anyway. Don't think too far ahead and don't beat yourself up!
Right - I understand - will try that next time I got straight back to my local clib before and was practicing, and was happy to be serving and returning alot better

Old Aug 1st, 2009, 04:01 PM   #9
country flag toxina90

Quote:
Originally Posted by BournemouthBoy View Post
have you thought about taking up bowls instead?
Actually it had crossed my mind - there is a green conveniently near another court where I play - although I seem to play better on that surface.

Old Aug 1st, 2009, 05:10 PM   #10
country flag Convoluted

Convoluted has much to be proud of Convoluted has much to be proud of Convoluted has much to be proud of Convoluted has much to be proud of Convoluted has much to be proud of Convoluted has much to be proud of Convoluted has much to be proud of Convoluted has much to be proud of Convoluted has much to be proud of Convoluted has much to be proud of Convoluted has much to be proud of

Biggest clue in tennis is to find your own way

Just look at the Williams sisters and how they deal with pressure. Serena likes to pump herself up/fistpump/etc, while Venus prefers to stay as serene as possible. You just need to find what works for you...

Also, I wouldn't worry about breathing technique. That's only relevant once you attain a very high competitive level.
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 08:46 PM   #11
country flag toxina90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convoluted View Post
Biggest clue in tennis is to find your own way

Just look at the Williams sisters and how they deal with pressure. Serena likes to pump herself up/fistpump/etc, while Venus prefers to stay as serene as possible. You just need to find what works for you...

Also, I wouldn't worry about breathing technique. That's only relevant once you attain a very high competitive level.
Right thanks - I think that individuality aspect is vital for me to take on board, as I have thought about it before - and right I will ignore the breathing stuff lol.

Thanks is it is a pleasure to receive advice from experienced people

Old Aug 6th, 2009, 04:48 PM   #12
country flag The Witch-king

The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute

I personally don't play that often... And rarely do i play competetivly but once i was playing a match and it was this really long rally and i kept thinking oh god when is this going to end ... But then i tried to imagine how Serena would feel in this position. You know that absolute confidence that I'm going to win this point no matter what and I won it.
I really admire not only Serena but all these pro players who are so gutsy and fierce when it comes to going for their shots. Often times i get so tight I'm afraid to do anything so I just end up rolling the ball back or hitting some lame error into the net. So I think it's important to have that level of confidence and calmness to know that you'll play your game and hit your shots provided it works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JN View Post
A Black man fighting for his people against institutionalized racism and its supporters, whenever they raised their ugly heads. He hated White people, period. After making his Hajj to Mecca, denouncing the teachings of the Honorable Elijah Muhammad, becoming a Sunni Muslim and changing his name, he could no longer justify his blanket hatred of Whites, but still fought against racism no less fervently.
The Witch-king is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 06:21 PM   #13
country flag drake3781

drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute

Surely there is some good advice above. Mine would be to select three important skills, that you know need work, and that if done properly will improve your game. Write them down on a card. Carry the card with you. Look at the card often. Think about them. Visualize them. All through the match, focus on those three skills. When you make a mistake on one of them, immediately think it through correctly. For that match do everything else naturally, but on these three skills really give them focus. After the match, review how you performed on them.
drake3781 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 08:56 PM   #14
country flag toxina90

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake3781 View Post
Surely there is some good advice above. Mine would be to select three important skills, that you know need work, and that if done properly will improve your game. Write them down on a card. Carry the card with you. Look at the card often. Think about them. Visualize them. All through the match, focus on those three skills. When you make a mistake on one of them, immediately think it through correctly. For that match do everything else naturally, but on these three skills really give them focus. After the match, review how you performed on them.