Little Mo. Big Al and 50s tennis - Page 5 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 24th, 2004, 06:35 PM   #61
country flag RoanHJ

RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfajeffster
Is that Alice Marble sitting with her?

Yep, that's a very young Alice and in the middle sort of leaning over is Teach. Btw, I'm also just getting into reading these bios and so far it's driving me nuts at how so many of them are so inaccurate. I don't mind an honest mistake we all do that, but some of these books such as "Courting Danger" are really off the mark. Even Ted Tingling's book got a few things wrong. And the funny thing is the mistakes aren't that hard to find. Also, I think sometimes people read these books and disagree on what's being said in them.
RoanHJ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 09:49 PM   #62
louloubelle

louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future
Please keep this going RoanHJ it's a great read. Thanks
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 12:15 PM   #63
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
There is new book out on Althea Gibson and Anglea Buxton called The Match.

I am thankful for any new tennis book, but this one is a class above most. The author clearly loves his subjects, both women fighting to break racial barriers (Buxton was a Jew), yet he shows us their faults too.

I'd love to discuss this book with others from the Blast, check to see if your library has it.

Amazon link

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...539251-6119920
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 12:20 PM   #64
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
While I'm in the 50's-The documentary about Mo Connolly is now for slae through her foundation. It's $30 on VHS and $45 on video, rather pricy IMO but worth it if good.

Has anyone seen it? The site also has clips of Mo playing and tons of pics.

Here is the links: http://www.mcbtennis.org/
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 06:43 AM   #65
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Christine Truman upsets world #1 Althea Gibson on grass at Wimbledon and instantly becomes the darling of the British public. It is the first time since 1930 that the British have won the Wightman Cup.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 06:45 AM   #66
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

1959 Wimbledon ladies doubles ceremony. From left to right-Truman, Baker Fleitz, then winners Hard and Arth.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 07:58 AM   #67
country flag Robert1

Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light
I read Maureen Connolly's book which is amazing and I must say there are so many similarities between Connolly and Monica Seles!

Both burst onto the circuit like no one else, Connolly won her first GS title on her third attempt, for Seles it was the fourth attempt. Both teenage stars, being the number 1 in the world very quickly. Both had a short, but almost perfect career until tragedy happened. Both brought fashion and controversy into the game and received lots of media attention (and loved it!).

Connolly won 9 GS tournaments (winning all finals) within 3 years, Seles won 8 GS tournaments (losing one final) within 3 years. The iron will of both is unmatched and what they became famous for. Especially on big occasions they simply refused to lose. Their aggressive (yet controlled ! ) style of game hasn't been seen from anyone else.

Connolly was denied to come back, yet she won the Grand Slam. Seles was denied to win the Grand Slam, yet she could come back, winning her 9th GS title, so both have 9 victories.

And, yes, it's Maureen Connolly, or little M-O, and the other one is M-O-nica Seles
Robert1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 02:42 PM   #68
country flag RoanHJ

RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert1
I read Maureen Connolly's book which is amazing and I must say there are so many similarities between Connolly and Monica Seles!

Both burst onto the circuit like no one else, Connolly won her first GS title on her third attempt, for Seles it was the fourth attempt. Both teenage stars, being the number 1 in the world very quickly. Both had a short, but almost perfect career until tragedy happened. Both brought fashion and controversy into the game and received lots of media attention (and loved it!).

Connolly won 9 GS tournaments (winning all finals) within 3 years, Seles won 8 GS tournaments (losing one final) within 3 years. The iron will of both is unmatched and what they became famous for. Especially on big occasions they simply refused to lose. Their aggressive (yet controlled ! ) style of game hasn't been seen from anyone else.

Connolly was denied to come back, yet she won the Grand Slam. Seles was denied to win the Grand Slam, yet she could come back, winning her 9th GS title, so both have 9 victories.

And, yes, it's Maureen Connolly, or little M-O, and the other one is M-O-nica Seles
Yes, to a degree they're similar, but personally I think Maureen was much more ruthless then Monica could ever be. Most people are pretty familar with the story about how when Maureen went to the 1951, US National Maureen's coach Eleanor "Teach" Tennant made up a lie about Doris Hart hoping to spur her young champion on. However, what some may not know is that at the start of the tournament Eleanor was not in New York but back in La Jolla taking care of dying sister Gwen. Eleanor loved her sister deeply and was under a great deal of stress. After reading Maureen's book "Forehand Drive" I came away with the impression that during this time all Maureen was concerned with was Eleanor being with her. Eventually, a friend of Maureen sent Eleanor an airplane ticket to get her to New York. Maureen tries justify the whole thing by writing:

"By this time Eleanor's sister Gwen, was beyond medical help. Previously, Gwen, who knew she was dying, had implored Eleanor to go on this Eastern our with me, but Teach, who loved her sister dearly and had taken care of her for years, hated to leave her. But now Eleanor knew the long vigil was almost at an end. She took the plane East."

I sensed that Maureen felt a tad bit of guilt over this. I also think this episode, which many posters ignore or at least don't mention explains in part Tennant's behavior during the Nationals. I doubt Monica would have in anyway expected someone to leave their dying sister just to be with her during a Major.
RoanHJ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 03:13 PM   #69
country flag Robert1

Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light
Definitely not after the stabbing, before that, Seles was once called "the big bad wolve", nobody didn't want to fool around with her. And the way she treated Bolletieri and a couple of tournament organisers might even have matched little Mo, lol. Actually another similarity, both were friendly and charming yet the press made them look evil.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 08:02 PM   #70
country flag Santorofan

Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all
"The Match"

Rollo: Yes, I too got a chance to read through the new Gibson/Buxton book and found it fairly informative. I liked the fact that the writer doesn't seem to try to paint these women as one-dimensional victims, martyrs or saints for that matter (which in my view no one is), but instead, interesting and at times, inspirational human beings with flaws that as a writer, he refuses to airbrush. One particular passage I recall was after Althea played an exhibition with Chris Evert in 1974, Gibson proclaimed that "(Evert's) not so terrific," and that she actually thought she could beat Chrissie next time they played! According to Chris, she "gave her some games" out of respect to a legend, as the book itself states that Evert went for none of her usual dropshots or deep drives into the corners. As an aside, Evert also mentioned that Althea "still had that booming serve," so remarkedly Althea remained a gifted athlete well into her fifties, capable of looking at least respectable (albeit with a bit of graciousness/generosity) with the best player of that decade.

Although I can't recall whether or not the writer used the actual word, he seemed to think that Althea was a tad delusional, to think that she could actually re-join the women's tennis tour in the 70's, as she tried several times to do. Certainly she did this partly due to wanting to earn a living on a pro tour/tennis boom that didn't exist during her prime, but I think it may've also been due to her enormous competitive spirit and desire to achive still more.
Santorofan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 12:29 PM   #71
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Great post Santorofan! After reading "The Match" I'm trying to find out more about 50s glam gals Beverley Baker (who quickly married and divorced a Hollywood actor) and Nancy Chaffee, who married baseball star Ralph Kiner. Kiner just came out with a book.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 12:32 PM   #72
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Here are the doubles winners from the 1958 Ojai event in California. Hantze is better known as Karen Susman, shock winner of Wimbledon in 1962 who angered British crowds by her slowness between points. She was also Billie Jean Kings partner when they won Wimbledon in 1961

Karen Hantze, Helene Weill, Sally Moore, Janet Hopps
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 10:11 PM   #73
country flag Santorofan

Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all
Beverly Baker Fleitz

Rollo: Beverly Baker Fleitz's game indeed sounds fascinating - as ambidexterous players with two forehands can only be! Interestingly, Baker- Fleitz was one of only four players top defeat Connolly from the period starting of the US Championships in 1951, through 1954 (her other losses were twice to Doris Hart, and once each to Louise Brough and Shirley Fry).
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 10:32 PM   #74
country flag Santorofan

Connolly vs Evert

As mentioned, I just got through reading BJK's "We Have Come a Long Way" (1988) and found some great quotes from both King and Pancho Gonzales, speculating upon a match btwn two players often compared to one another:

Maureen also played with a promising young ten-year-old named Chris Evert, who remembered her groundstrokes were "really hard and crisp and deep."

(Pancho) Gonzales also liked to speculate on the outcome of a match between Maureen and Chris. "They would have had some great matches," he said. I can imagine that if Maureen and Chris had played a match it would have lasted forever."

I agree that they would have had some great matches, but only if Maureen had been born in Chris's day or Chris had been born in Maureen's day. Maureen was not as strong physically as Chris because Maureen, like all of her contemporaries, did not train with weights. Furthermore, Maureen did not play long enough to reach her prime and never developed as complete a game as Chris's. Maureen's serve was always weak, the result, perhaps, of being forced to play right-handed when she was naturally left-handed." - Billie Jean King
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 05:09 AM   #75
country flag Robert1

I think you can say that almost about any top players, probably any top 5 player these days would be a top player 20, 40, 60 years ago. Thus it's hard to compare. IMO Evert would have beaten Little Mo on clay but not on grass nor hardcourt nor indoor. BTW did they play indoor and on hardcourt in the early 50s at all???