Little Mo. Big Al and 50s tennis - Page 4 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 3rd, 2003, 09:04 PM   #46
auntie janie

auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute
New Issue Of Tennis Week Has Big Article On Little Mo, By Steve Flink.
auntie janie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 20th, 2003, 04:55 PM   #47
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Bump so people will know about it
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 05:53 AM   #48
country flag Santorofan

Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all
Evert's connection to Connolly, Marble

Some interesting trivia on Connolly as relates to Chris Evert. Occassionally the media compared Evert with Connolly in both game and demeanor (young, backcourt player, poised, concentrated, stoic, etc) but the comparison actually ran deeper. As someone recently told me, Connolly came to Holiday Park and gave a clinic when Chris was quite young. Out of a pack of students, Connolly picked Evert out of the crowd using her strokes as an example of how to hit a groundstoke correctly. According to my contact, this made an impression upon young Chrissie - and certainly her dad must've been quite proud.

Evert's father was not of Connolly's generation though he did know Alice Marble -they both played amateur tennis in the late 30's (I believe they even played doubles together as I recall). Years later when Chris finally met Marble, the first thing Chris stated to her was, "I was raised on you"...of course, which Marble was pleased as punch to hear. Jimmy Evert must have had a lot of stories from that time period which Chris no doubt heard growing up... In case you're interested, a nice Marble quote on Evert is available for viewing on http://chrisevert.net
Santorofan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 04:38 PM   #49
country flag RoanHJ

RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by janie
New Issue Of Tennis Week Has Big Article On Little Mo, By Steve Flink.

I looked at the article and I have two questions for the board. First one deals with this story about Maureen's oldest daughter and Teach Tennant. Here's the quote from Flink's article:

Connolly was treated by an osteopath twice a day during the Wimbledon fortnight. With Teach absent, she won the tournament. The relationship was over; they permanently parted ways. But decades later in 1985, Cindy Connolly Brinker — "Little Mo’s" older daughter — was on a business trip to Costa Mesa, Calif. Fate took Brinker to Tennant’s hometown. "Mom had told me her greatest regret was not reconciling with Teach," Brinker says. "Teach was in the twilight of her life. I called Teach on the telephone and told her I was Maureen Connolly’s daughter. Silence. I said ‘Teach, I want you to know my mom credited you with the success of her career.’ More silence. Finally, I mentioned that my mother had died, and then Teach started crying. She said that her greatest heartache was not reconciling with Mom. That was so important to me because Mom had agonized over what happened with Teach."

After Tennant left the scene, Connolly was coached by Australia’s master motivator

My question is this: Eleanor "Teach" Tennant died May 11, 1974. So, how did Cindy call her in 1985?

Second question: I've been having trouble getting Connolly's bio. If anyone has read it do you know if Maureen writes about Alice Marble coaching her and working with on her serve?
RoanHJ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 05:54 PM   #50
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoanHJ
I looked at the article and I have two questions for the board. First one deals with this story about Maureen's oldest daughter and Teach Tennant. Here's the quote from Flink's article:

Connolly was treated by an osteopath twice a day during the Wimbledon fortnight. With Teach absent, she won the tournament. The relationship was over; they permanently parted ways. But decades later in 1985, Cindy Connolly Brinker — "Little Mo’s" older daughter — was on a business trip to Costa Mesa, Calif. Fate took Brinker to Tennant’s hometown. "Mom had told me her greatest regret was not reconciling with Teach," Brinker says. "Teach was in the twilight of her life. I called Teach on the telephone and told her I was Maureen Connolly’s daughter. Silence. I said ‘Teach, I want you to know my mom credited you with the success of her career.’ More silence. Finally, I mentioned that my mother had died, and then Teach started crying. She said that her greatest heartache was not reconciling with Mom. That was so important to me because Mom had agonized over what happened with Teach."

After Tennant left the scene, Connolly was coached by Australia’s master motivator

My question is this: Eleanor "Teach" Tennant died May 11, 1974. So, how did Cindy call her in 1985?

Second question: I've been having trouble getting Connolly's bio. If anyone has read it do you know if Maureen writes about Alice Marble coaching her and working with on her serve?
I think the dates are confusing. She's obviously calling Tennant in 1969, just after her mother died, as evidenced by Tennant not knowing she had died. I'm not sure about the rest, but this makes sense to me.
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 06:15 PM   #51
country flag RoanHJ

RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfajeffster
I think the dates are confusing. She's obviously calling Tennant in 1969, just after her mother died, as evidenced by Tennant not knowing she had died. I'm not sure about the rest, but this makes sense to me.

The first thing I thought of was that either Flink or Cindy made a mistake on the date. Problem is, is that she's says she was on a business trip. Well, in 1969, Cindy was about 12 years old. Little young to have been on a business trip.
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 08:34 PM   #52
tilden

tilden is just really nice tilden is just really nice tilden is just really nice tilden is just really nice tilden is just really nice tilden is just really nice tilden is just really nice tilden is just really nice tilden is just really nice tilden is just really nice tilden is just really nice
Hi RoanHJ Connolly's book "Forehand Drive" talks about Teach Tennant arranging for Alice Marble to help trying and develop Maureen's serve and volley when she was fifteen (pp138-141). It seems that the experiment was a bit of a disaster - with Maureen convinced that she didn't need a game that was built on serve and volley alone. Reading between the lines Maureen didn't really get on with Marble. She writes that Lenglen and Wills had been superior to Marble, and suggests that Marble may have been a bit inconsistent.

I love the detective work about Cindy Brinker's call to Teach Tennant! I don't know if you have seen Cindy Brinker's little book, "Little Mo's Legacy" - which is actually a bit of a bible bashing tome, but she goes into some detail about the incident - saying that it took place in 1994 when she was in California implementing a client promotion. It is fascinating if Teach was actually dead at the time!
tilden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 12:14 AM   #53
tilden

tilden is just really nice tilden is just really nice tilden is just really nice tilden is just really nice tilden is just really nice tilden is just really nice tilden is just really nice tilden is just really nice tilden is just really nice tilden is just really nice tilden is just really nice
I think that Cindy Brinker obviously has the power to summon up dead folks and engage in odd conversations with them! Or else she and her co-writer Robert Darden were on some non prescribed substances when they wrote their book. The book states the call to Teach took place in "1994", and she was in Costa Mesa near San Diego on business - and it then details what was said in inverted commas". Actually it's pretty hilarious, like "Teach, did you know that Mum died?" ..... even though this happened twenty five years before!!! (what had teach been in a coma all this time - well actually she had been dead for twenty years)!

Its followed by a preachy bit where Cindy reflects that we shouldn't take "unresolved issues or relationships to the grave". Let me quote some more: "Maximise each day. Praise God. Live each day as though it were your best. Greet each day with a smile in your heart. Hug your loved ones. Hug them again. Forgive others. Don't let another hour go by without reconciling a relationship. Your life will be changed"

Thanks for pointing out this little anomaly RoanHJ. It's a hoot.
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 02:28 AM   #54
country flag RoanHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilden
I think that Cindy Brinker obviously has the power to summon up dead folks and engage in odd conversations with them! Or else she and her co-writer Robert Darden were on some non prescribed substances when they wrote their book. The book states the call to Teach took place in "1994", and she was in Costa Mesa near San Diego on business - and it then details what was said in inverted commas". Actually it's pretty hilarious, like "Teach, did you know that Mum died?" ..... even though this happened twenty five years before!!! (what had teach been in a coma all this time - well actually she had been dead for twenty years)!

Its followed by a preachy bit where Cindy reflects that we shouldn't take "unresolved issues or relationships to the grave". Let me quote some more: "Maximise each day. Praise God. Live each day as though it were your best. Greet each day with a smile in your heart. Hug your loved ones. Hug them again. Forgive others. Don't let another hour go by without reconciling a relationship. Your life will be changed"

Thanks for pointing out this little anomaly RoanHJ. It's a hoot.

Thank you Tilden for the info on Alice and Mo. Today in the mail I finally got Nancy Spain's bio on Teach Tennant. I was surprised it came. In an e-mail they told me it was going to take about 30 days and instead it took only about 10 days. I went to that abebooks web site and it seems that the only bios on Teach are all either in England or South Africa. Anyway, in it was a pic of Maureen and Alice together. I still don't know how to just put the picture in text so, here's an attachment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alice and Mo.jpg (32.6 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by RoanHJ : Mar 22nd, 2004 at 11:40 PM.
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 12:25 AM   #55
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Does anyone have the page number on the Teach call in Cindy's book?

Roan-let us know what you find out from Teach's book. A little digging around by checking into Carole Lombard and Chaplin might provide some info on her.
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 05:55 AM   #56
tilden

The story appears on pages 100-102 of Cindy Brinker's book.
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 02:35 AM   #57
country flag RoanHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo
Does anyone have the page number on the Teach call in Cindy's book?

Roan-let us know what you find out from Teach's book. A little digging around by checking into Carole Lombard and Chaplin might provide some info on her.

Here are a few things on Teach and the Hollywood crowd:

First off this book came out in 1953, so Teach hadn't read "Mommy Dearest" here's what Teach said about Joan Crawford on pg 64

"Joan was a wonderful tennis pupil, and she is a very gracious hostess. We became very close friends and she is a very fine mother to her children."

Teach also said

"But I always liked it when I went to intimate parties, or had dinner alone with Joan..."

Teach also helped put together some tennis scenes in some hollywood movies and appeared in them. Here's one from a Bing Crosby movie called "The Emperor Waltz"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Movie.jpg (83.0 KB, 8 views)
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 10:12 AM   #58
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

This is great Roan!
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 01:31 AM   #59
country flag RoanHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo
This is great Roan!

Thank you Rollo. Right now I'm still going over a lot of information about Teach, Alice and Mo. It's going to take me a while. Here's a few things that may interest you. First in the book Spain writes on pg. 81, that it wasn't Teach who suggested that Maureen switch from using her left hand to her right, but rather the Pro who was teaching Maureen before she came along. Now I haven't read "Forehand Drive" so I don't know what it says in that book. Also, in this book Spain Writes this about Maureen after she and Teach split on page 111:

"By now Little Mo is on her own. Teach Tennant, having like Frankenstein let loose a 'monster' on the world, finds herself unable to control it.

Indeed, she did not try. She wrote to Little Mo, gracefully wiping out any moral obligation that Maureen might feel towards her:

' I know that you are reveling in being all on your own, which is important in order to learn and develop for the purpose of being self-reliant...Boy! I can well remember striking out on my own...

Your winning without me being with you gives me personal and professional satisfaction...'

Right now I can't vouch for this letter. I'm just pointing out what's in the book. I can't help but wonder did Teach write the letter then show it to Spain before she sent it?

As for Hollywood here's a pic with the always beautiful Carole Lombard. Teach said of Carole,

" Carole could have been a great champion, tennisly speaking, but she didn't have enough time."

Btw, that's no typo. In the book the word used is "tennisly" Teach from what I have read in this book and else where had a rather unique way of speaking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carol, Teach, Alice.jpg (56.3 KB, 10 views)
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 12:26 PM   #60
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, Roan, this is great. I'm just now getting into that era of player biographies, and Maureen alwasy fascinated me. Re: Carole Lombard- she's looking a little too much like Talulah Bankhead in that picture for me (and I love Talu). She was a strikingly beautiful woman, and a regular player at the Los Angeles Tennis Club in the 1930s.

Is that Alice Marble sitting with her?