Little Mo. Big Al and 50s tennis - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 05:21 PM   #31
country flag Gallofa
Diosa Contable

Gallofa has a brilliant future Gallofa has a brilliant future Gallofa has a brilliant future Gallofa has a brilliant future Gallofa has a brilliant future Gallofa has a brilliant future Gallofa has a brilliant future Gallofa has a brilliant future Gallofa has a brilliant future Gallofa has a brilliant future Gallofa has a brilliant future

Althea Gibson (left) and Shirley Fry celebrate their 1957 Australian doubles victory

Shirley Fry, Doris Hart, Pauline Betz

Doris Hart on left

Doris Hart (b.1925), a prolific champion with 325 major titles, was the second woman after Maureen Connolly to win all four Grand Slam singles events. Remarkably, Hart achieved her record despite an impaired leg resulting from a childhood iillness.

Stricken with osteomyelitis at 15months, Hart recovered with the support of her parents and her brother, who taught her tennis. By age 16 Hart was ranked in the Top 10 where she stayed through 1955. In 1947 while a University of Miami undergraduate, she won her first Grand Slam title, the women's doubles at Wimbledon.

With her superb racket control Hart developed a greater variety of shots than any other player of her day. A legendary doubles player, Hart teamed with Shirley Fry to win 11 major championships. She was among the first women to take the Wimbledon triple crown in 1951 and the French in 1952. In 1954 she earned the No.1 ranking with a triple crown at the U.S. nationals, retaining her ranking in 1955. She won the USTA Service Bowl Award that same year.

Hart retired from play after 1955 and became a teaching professional. A member of the U.S Wightman Cup Team from 1946 to 1955, Hart served as Captain of the winning 1970 U.S. Team.

Career Highlights

35 Grand Slam titles (6 Singles, 14 Doubles, 15 Mixed Doubles)

Ranked in USTA Top 10 from 1942 to 1955; No.1 in 1954 and 1955

Three Grand Slam Triple Crowns (Wimbledon 1951, France 1952, U.S. 1954)

Winner of USTA Girls' Sportsmanship Award 1943

U.S. Girls' 18 Champion in Singles (1942, 1943) and Doubles (1940, 1943)

U.S. Singles Champion 1954, 1955

U.S. Doubles Champion 1951- 1954

U.S. Mixed Doubles Champion 1951-1955

Wimbledon Singles Champion 1951

Wimbledon Doubles Champion 1947, 1951-1953

Wimbledon Mixed Doubles Champion 1951-1955

French Singles Champion 1950, 1952

French Doubles Champion 1948, 1950-1953

French Mixed Doubles Champion 1951-1953

Australian Singles Champion 1949

Australian Doubles Champion 1950

Australian Mixed Doubles Champion 1949, 1950

U.S. Clay Court Champion in Singles (1950) and Doubles (1944, 1945, 1950, 1954)

U.S. Indoor Champion in Doubles and Mixed Doubles 1947, 1948

U.S. Hard Court Champion in Singles and Mixed Doubles 1949

U.S. Wightman Cup Team Member 1946-1955 (21-1 record); Team Captain 1970

Winner of USTA Service Bowl 1955

Author, Tennis with Hart

Inducted into the International Tennis Hall of Fame 1969

U.S. Grass Court and Indoor Women's 55 Doubles Champion 1981

http://www.wm.edu/tenniscenter/hart.html

Gallofa is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 11:07 AM   #32
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Gracias Gallofa por all the photos and the Hart info! LOL at the ice cream pic. All that hair must have taken a lot of effort

I wish I knew more about this "forgotten" era. I'm still not quite sure what sort of bone disease Doris had, but her kneecap looked so bad it's a wonder she could walk, let alone run. Of all the 50s gals I'd like to see her vs. Connolly the most.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2002, 11:01 PM   #33
louloubelle

louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future
Some stuff I know about Doris Hart...

She walked with a slight limp and was suprisingly slow about the court for one of the world's great players.

At 15 months of age, a slight injury to her right knee was incorrectly diagnosed and treated by a doctor, resulted in a serious infection. The doctor's proposed solution to his error was to amputate the leg. Fortunately her parents held out for other opinions and the leg was saved, tho it never reached full strength or flexibility.

Whenever questioned about her lack of mobility around the court, Doris always pointed out that the great Helen Wills Moody herself and never been quick.

She compensated for this, with excelllent anticipation, fluency of stroke rarely equalled in the history of women's tennis. the timing of her continental drives was classical in it's perfection, the power and rhythm of her service and overhead were achieved with uncomplicated ease, her volleys were punched with flawless form and deceptive sting.

The passion of the Hart's for tennis had it's genesis when Doris was hospitalised at the age of 9 with a hernia. Her bed looked out over some tennis courts, she became enamoured of the game, and from that time, she gave her life to it, in the pursuit of excellence.
Old Dec 9th, 2002, 11:25 AM   #34
louloubelle

louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future
I never knew that Little Mo was coached by Harry Hopman after the 1953 Australian titles.

Also Nell Hopman became her friend and chaperon and apparently showed Little Mo a softer and calmer attitude to life.
Old Jan 1st, 2003, 03:36 AM   #35
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Winning the US Nationals in 1951
Old Jan 1st, 2003, 03:40 AM   #36
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Althea in 1958

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 04:17 AM   #37
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Thelma Long, about 1950.

Long was an Aussie great especially good at doubles. Her career lasted from the 1930s to 1950s

Old Jan 19th, 2003, 12:54 AM   #38
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

I found a disturbing bit of news from 1955. The morining of her semifinal vs. Doris Hart Dottie Knode recieved a call from a woman who threatened to shoot her dead in the stadium that afternoon. dottie went ahead and palyed with several plainsclothes police in the stands. She lost 6-1 6-1.

On a lighter note one of the contestants names for the 1955 US National was Susan Bralower! Bet that got comments even back then

Last edited by Rollo : Jul 16th, 2004 at 12:21 PM.
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 10:36 AM   #39
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute
LOL @ Bralower

Anyway what happened to Dottie Knode was scary, poor girl.

Pas de Quatre: Swan Lake, Giselle, The Nutcracker, Coppélia
Sam L is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 11:26 PM   #40
cunnihingis

cunnihingis is a glorious beacon of light cunnihingis is a glorious beacon of light cunnihingis is a glorious beacon of light cunnihingis is a glorious beacon of light cunnihingis is a glorious beacon of light cunnihingis is a glorious beacon of light cunnihingis is a glorious beacon of light cunnihingis is a glorious beacon of light cunnihingis is a glorious beacon of light cunnihingis is a glorious beacon of light cunnihingis is a glorious beacon of light
did anyone ever see the movie on little mo's life? it's from the late 70's and i saw it back then. glynnis o'connor was excellent as mo.

i wanted to ask as well about babe didriksen zaharias. i know she played golf and ran track but i was wondering if she was ever on the women's tennis tour as well.

thanks rollo for the great memories.
cunnihingis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 06:34 AM   #41
Zummi

Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold
I don't think so. She was a decent tennis player but Babe took one look at the women's tennis scene and the golf scene and figured it would be easier to dominate the golf tour than tennis.

The last major player to excel in two different sports was probably Ann Haydon-Jones who was ranked #2 in table tennis for a period in the 50s before making her mark in tennis. She also played both sports on an international level *simultaneously* for a while!
Zummi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 12:27 PM   #42
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

And of course there was real money for women's golf up front in those days. Like Zummi says-golf would be easier to learn. It's almost impossible in tennis to start the game after age 20 and rise to world class.

I recall that movie Cunnihingis. I saw it before I even knew who "Mo" was. The one thing that stood out then was the Teach character-it was the mom from "the Waltons"! Wonder if it's ever on TV or you can get it on video.
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 07:56 PM   #43
auntie janie

auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute
Hey Rollo, my PMs are not getting through somehow. Should I write the address here in this thread for you to send Mo's bio to? Or, can you e-mail me at mjs814@yahoo.ie? Thanks!

(Sorry for the off-topic post, everyone! I will delete it later!)
auntie janie is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 04:57 PM   #44
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

There is a film documentary about Mo Connolly coming out in April. Janie posted an article about it recently. We'll try to find out more.
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 01:01 AM   #45
auntie janie

auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow And here is the More!

http://www.sportsmediainc.net/tennis...&bannerregion=

I sure hope a tv network will show this film. How frustrating to know it is out there, and we have no assurance that we will get to see it!
auntie janie is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote