Little Mo. Big Al and 50s tennis - Page 12 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 9th, 2013, 09:06 PM   #166
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Little Mo. Big Al and 50s tennis

Darlene Hard, 1955 & Beverly Baker, 1959

Darlene Hard (l.) and Beverly Baker served up a little thigh throughout the 1950s. Baker made sure her look stood out by adding a pretty pattern along the bib of her all-white tennis dress.

Ambidextrous Bev Baker had two forehands-much like Monica Seles in the 1990s.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 22nd, 2013, 01:19 PM   #167
country flag preacherfan

preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all

Beverly Baker Fleitz appears to have had a Mary Pierce-type game (minus the Slam victories). On a given day, she could blast anyone off the court with her power, yet she didn't often sustain her excellence for long periods of time.
Old Oct 22nd, 2013, 01:23 PM   #168
country flag preacherfan

preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all

Julia Sampson was the same age as Connolly and toured Australia with Maureen in 1953, where she was easily beaten in all the tournaments by Connolly. She is noted as being the American junior champion. She had solid results and must have been close to a world top ten ranking. However, she disappears from the scene within a year. I wonder why.
Old Oct 22nd, 2013, 01:26 PM   #169
country flag preacherfan

In studying the 50s results (and 60s also to a point), it is amazing the number of Australian and South African players who showed great promise and even gained top ten rankings who left the game early (Penrose, Coghlan, Staley Hoad, Carr, Price, Kilian Shaw, Schuurman, Ebbern to name a few). It seems as though world travel must have been so long and difficult for those from Down Under. Many of these seemed to have chosen family life over tennis.
Old Oct 25th, 2013, 12:02 PM   #170
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post

Darlene Hard, 1955 & Beverly Baker, 1959

Darlene Hard (l.) and Beverly Baker served up a little thigh throughout the 1950s. Baker made sure her look stood out by adding a pretty pattern along the bib of her all-white tennis dress.

Ambidextrous Bev Baker had two forehands-much like Monica Seles in the 1990s.

Very interesting Rollo.

You can see here footage of Beverley in the 1955 Wimbledon final. Her default grip seemed to be the right hand?

Old Nov 17th, 2013, 10:16 PM   #171
country flag rollingraces

rollingraces is a name known to all rollingraces is a name known to all rollingraces is a name known to all rollingraces is a name known to all rollingraces is a name known to all rollingraces is a name known to all rollingraces is a name known to all rollingraces is a name known to all rollingraces is a name known to all rollingraces is a name known to all rollingraces is a name known to all

I have always wondered how a more mature and improved Gibson could have stacked up vs Connolly in the late 50s. Would have love to have seen that matchup.

It is amazing too that Shirley Fry and Doris Hart are two of the only women in history with a career slam.
rollingraces is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2013, 10:33 PM   #172
country flag rollingraces

rollingraces is a name known to all rollingraces is a name known to all rollingraces is a name known to all rollingraces is a name known to all rollingraces is a name known to all rollingraces is a name known to all rollingraces is a name known to all rollingraces is a name known to all rollingraces is a name known to all rollingraces is a name known to all rollingraces is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by samn View Post
Connolly v. Navratilova
Court v. Graf
Evert v. Lenglen
Seles v. Wills
Goolagong v. Sabatini
Bueno v. Sanchez-Vicario
Hingis v. Mandlikova
King v. Serena Williams

Would prefer Seles vs Connolly to Seles vs Wills, as their games were carbon copies of each other in different eras.

Court vs Graf is a good one, but would also like Wills vs Graf.

Would like to see Goolagong vs Mandilikova with both in their primes.

Hingis vs Bueno as well.

King vs Serena would be interesting as King is the kind of scrappy tactician that could irritate Serena. She would have to use all her guile to stand a hope in that matchup as if she gave Serena anything to hit she would be crushed.
rollingraces is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote