Maureen Connolly: Most dominant player ever - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 31st, 2004, 05:32 PM   #1
country flag preacherfan

preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all
Maureen Connolly: Most dominant player ever

We speculate about a lot of "what if's" on this forum. Looking at Maureen Connolly's stats, it appears as though she may have been the most dominant player of all time. She entered 9 Grand Slam tournaments and won all nine. She was forced to retire at age 20. We could speculate about how many titles she would've finished with had she stayed healthy. If she'd played all four slams until age 28, she might've reached 30 and then the "Greatest of All Time" argument would be a closed case. Any thoughts on Little Mo's career and achievements?
Advertisement

Old Jul 31st, 2004, 05:46 PM   #2
country flag Declan

Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of
"She entered 9 Grand Slam tournaments and won all nine".
No, we've discussed this elsewhere on here. She entered two US Championships before her title-winning years, losing early in both, but these have been airbrushed out of her biography for some reason.
Declan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 06:54 PM   #3
country flag preacherfan

preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan
"She entered 9 Grand Slam tournaments and won all nine".
No, we've discussed this elsewhere on here. She entered two US Championships before her title-winning years, losing early in both, but these have been airbrushed out of her biography for some reason.
Thanks for the correction. But still, she lost in to US Champs at 15 and 16 and never lost another GS match. Wow! Is there another player who ever was as dominant in her career?

I know Lenglen and Wills Moody hardly lost in their careers. I would question the quality of their opponents during their days. I know they had 2-3 strong players, but I think they had a lot of lollipops to go up against.
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 10:25 PM   #4
country flag Declan

Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of
I didn't mean to sound school-teacherish on this, Preacherfan! Like you I'd always belived the '100% success rate at Slams' line until a year or so ago, and I was amazed to find out it wasn't true! I can't remember who Maureen lost to in those tournaments, though - can anyone remind us? Thanks in advance!
Declan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 07:47 AM   #5
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Declan-You can add my name to those who thought at first that Mo never lost in a slam-we all live and learn!

IMO it has become harder to totally dominate a tour in tennis. With all the women traveling the world (not possible before passenger air travel in the 1950s) the competition is keener. Mo Connolly's 9 straight slams can't be touched except by Helen Wills, who didn't lose in any slam from 1925 until her defeat in 1933. Helen won about 15 or 16 consecutive slams she entered.

Was Helen's competition 'easier" than Mo Connolly's? Probably. But then Will's never had the chance to win the Grand Slam-so maybe these things even out.

From 1952 to 1954 Mo only lost 4 matches that I know of:

1952-Brough got her on California cement
1953-Hart beat her at the Italian
1954-ambidextrous Beverly Baker outslugged her on a Californai hardcourt.

Shirley Fry beat her somewhere in there.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 01:58 AM   #6
country flag Rors

Rors is an unknown quantity at this point
"I didn't mean to sound school-teacherish on this, Preacherfan! Like you I'd always belived the '100% success rate at Slams' line until a year or so ago, and I was amazed to find out it wasn't true! I can't remember who Maureen lost to in those tournaments, though - can anyone remind us? Thanks in advance!"

If I remember correctly, Mo lost to Doris Hart in one of her previous visits to Forest Hills (1950???)

"We speculate about a lot of "what if's" on this forum. Looking at Maureen Connolly's stats, it appears as though she may have been the most dominant player of all time. She entered 9 Grand Slam tournaments and won all nine. She was forced to retire at age 20. We could speculate about how many titles she would've finished with had she stayed healthy. If she'd played all four slams until age 28, she might've reached 30 and then the "Greatest of All Time" argument would be a closed case. Any thoughts on Little Mo's career and achievements?"

If Mo had decided to play on, she probably would have racked up a couple more GS and lots more GS titles, however, from her autobiography and also what I read in Jack Kramer's book (he was a witness for her in court), it seems as though Mo was going to turn pro at the end of '54 (or '55 at the latest). I also got the feeling upon reading her book that she was so wrapped up in the idea of being "Mrs Norman Brinker" that she would have been happy to quit the circuit anyway in order to be a wife/homemaker/mother.

Apropos her accident and the effect on her tennis career, (selfishly), I think it's a real shame what happened to Mo; She would not have been 30 until 1965, well into the Court/Bueno/King era and IF she had continued to play amateur tennis, I imagine her name would have been seen in most GS finals up to that time....

Rors is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 02:57 AM   #7
country flag RoanHJ

RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough
Maureen's two GS losses:

1949 US National

2nd round Barbara Scofield d Connolly 6-4, 6-3

I hope I got that name right. The other loss:

1950 US National

2nd round Doris Hart d Connolly 6-2, 7-5

I haven't read Hart's book but, I have read other's comments on her book and from what I understand Hart felt that if Maureen had wanted to continue playing after her accident she could have. In a way I wish she would have. Right now I'm reading The Match by Bruce Schoenfeld and I'm up to the part where he writes about Brough, du Pont, Hart and Fry. Schoenfeld writes that many of the women players at this time were like "sorority girls." Connolly was younger than these women and I think she would have broken up their little party a bit.

Connolly I think was the first to have a "killer instinct." Now I have read where other posters pretty much put all that hate thing on Eleanor "Teach" Tennant and make her out to be this mean old coach who just changed this sweet little child into a killer on the court who hated her opponents but that's not totally true. Connolly herself in her biography makes it clear Teach couldn't have done it unless the seeds of hate were already in her. She hated to lose more than she loved to win. Even Ted Tingling says Connolly must have had the killer instinct in her so start with. Teach just honed it.
RoanHJ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 09:04 AM   #8
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
FYI: the excellent documentary about Mo Connolly will be airing on the Tennis Channel in March.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 11:54 AM   #9
country flag Andy T

Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute
As you guys all say, the tennis world could have been a radically different place had Mo not disappeared off the scene in 54 in so many ways. What influence would she have had on the prevailing style of tennis taught to youngsters throughout the 50s and 60s if she'd enjoyed a long reign at the top? Evert's (father and daughter) tennis values seem far closer to those of Maureen than to anyone else, it seems to me.

This is another instance of a player's premature departure possibly (note "possibly") resulting in the prolongation of some careers and the earlier ascent to the top of others. It didn't start with the assault on Monica or Tracy's forced retirement.

*Science without Humanity *Knowledge without Character

*Politics without Principle *Commerce without Morality

*Worship without Sacrifice
Andy T is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 01:31 PM   #10
country flag Jakeev

Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute
The fact is, Maureen was the best of her time. Plain in simple. And that is what matters.

Had she not had her career cut short so early, who knows what really would have happened.

It would have been interesting to have seen her against Althea Gibson more frequently and eventually had she kept going, Margaret Smith. Considering those two women were bigger and stronger, I would assume they possibly would have been huge challenges for her.

Either way, she got to be a tennis champion for a brief time in her career.
Jakeev is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 02:34 PM   #11
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeev
The fact is, Maureen was the best of her time. Plain in simple. And that is what matters.

Had she not had her career cut short so early, who knows what really would have happened.

It would have been interesting to have seen her against Althea Gibson more frequently and eventually had she kept going, Margaret Smith. Considering those two women were bigger and stronger, I would assume they possibly would have been huge challenges for her.

Either way, she got to be a tennis champion for a brief time in her career.
The great Pauline Betz was more than happy when someone once told her that Maureen's baseline game reminded them of hers. She also pointed out an interesting stat- that neither Doris Hart nor Maureen Connolly ever lost to Althea Gibson, and it's interesting to think where tennis would have gone had Maureen returned to the tour. Pauline and Maureen are the only two notable baseliners to come out of California in the 40s and 50s. All the rest were brought up as serve-and-volleyers in the style made famous by Alice Marble, Louise Brough and Margaret Osborne, and even Sarah Palfrey from the East Coast. To speculate, for Maureen to have continued to win majors, if not dominate through the rest of the decade of the 50s would have had a profound effect on the direction the game was taught. It'd be interesting to read Nancy Richey's thoughts on Maureen Connolly. Hopefully she'll chime in on this thread and enlighten us a little!
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 02:50 PM   #12
country flag RoanHJ

RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough RoanHJ is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfajeffster
The great Pauline Betz was more than happy when someone once told her that Maureen's baseline game reminded them of hers. She also pointed out an interesting stat- that neither Doris Hart nor Maureen Connolly ever lost to Althea Gibson, and it's interesting to think where tennis would have gone had Maureen returned to the tour. Pauline and Maureen are the only two notable baseliners to come out of California in the 40s and 50s. All the rest were brought up as serve-and-volleyers in the style made famous by Alice Marble, Louise Brough and Margaret Osborne, and even Sarah Palfrey from the East Coast. To speculate, for Maureen to have continued to win majors, if not dominate through the rest of the decade of the 50s would have had a profound effect on the direction the game was taught. It'd be interesting to read Nancy Richey's thoughts on Maureen Connolly. Hopefully she'll chime in on this thread and enlighten us a little!

Another player who loved having people compare her to Maureen was Helen Wills.

The two people who might have been effected by Maureen staying in the game would be Althea Gibson and Darlene Hard. My the late 50s early 60s Maureen would have still been in her prime and may have stopped both women from winning a slam title.
RoanHJ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 03:07 PM   #13
country flag Andy T

Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute
Maria Bueno and even Rev Mags may have felt the effects too, RoanHJ. Maureen was only about 5 years older than Maria, if memory serves (Maria was born in '39).

*Science without Humanity *Knowledge without Character

*Politics without Principle *Commerce without Morality

*Worship without Sacrifice
Andy T is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 05:26 PM   #14
country flag chris whiteside

chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold
Maureen's greatest assett was her mental toughness. She quite simply just refused to lose. No matter when she had been born given the access to the fitness regimes and technology of that era she would have been a world #1.

IMO, the greatest post-war player of them all, ahead of Court and Graf.
chris whiteside is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 12:49 AM   #15
country flag Santorofan

Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all
Surely a sign of greatness when players from Wills all the way to Evert are compared to you - Connolly certainly set the standard as one of the top two or three female baseliners of all time. Speaking for myself, I would've loved to have watched Maureen play Althea in her prime on a grass court*. From what I recall, the two competed well before Gibson reached her heights, though certainly Connolly would hold the edge - even on grass - regardless.

*Another variable to consider; might Gibson've significantly improved had she not been lured into the pro ranks after such a brief time at the top? Was her coaching/training on par with Connolly's? Also, it seems class issues affected Gibson's career more significantly than a player like Connolly, who (it seems reasonable to gather) like Wills would've quite likely just kept on playing, piling up perhaps 12-15 more GS titles.
Santorofan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote