New WTA Chief defends ranking system - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 13th, 2009, 10:28 PM   #1
country flag mdterp01

mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute
New WTA Chief defends ranking system

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/130720...gs-system.html

I'm sorry yall...I know this is like beating a dead horse (ducks the tennis balls beiing thrown at me) but just figured I would post this. I mean she's right. I know that in the whole rankings dispute I have always said that look...the system is what it is. There is more to the season than the 4 grand slams (i.e. 8 weeks). It is a 52 week
system that rewards someone who played enough and either gets deep in enough tournaments and/or wins enough that they can achieve the #1 ranking without winning any of the slams. Again, there is a difference between a computer #1 and who the best player in the world is. I don't think it should even be an argument. Instead of Serena saying "we know who the real #1 is" she should've said like she's said in the past that she believes she is the best player in the world. Cuz there is clearly a difference.

Safina is #1 based on the ranking system. Its not her design so I don't get why she gets so much flack for it. She is the beneficiery of the system, whether we think its a flawed system or not. It doesn't make her look good when she gets whipped in the finals of slams and only wins 1 game in the semifinals of a slam, but she was consistent enough last year to grab the #1 ranking. I don't know. If people would just understand the difference between #1 and the best player in the world, I think this argument can just go away. I would like to see the majors have more points though and I think it was a bad idea getting rid of quality points when you beat top ranked players.

Serena Williams Australian Open Champion (03,05,07,09,10)
French Open Champion (02,13)
Wimbledon Champion (02,03,09,10,12)
US Open Champion (99,02,08,12,13,14)
mdterp01 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 13th, 2009, 10:35 PM   #2
country flag Sally Struthers

Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New WTA Chief defends ranking system

that hairstyle on her is not flattering at all
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 10:44 PM   #3
country flag StephenUK

StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdterp01 View Post
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/130720...gs-system.html

I'm sorry yall...I know this is like beating a dead horse (ducks the tennis balls beiing thrown at me) but just figured I would post this. I mean she's right. I know that in the whole rankings dispute I have always said that look...the system is what it is. There is more to the season than the 4 grand slams (i.e. 8 weeks). It is a 52 week
system that rewards someone who played enough and either gets deep in enough tournaments and/or wins enough that they can achieve the #1 ranking without winning any of the slams. Again, there is a difference between a computer #1 and who the best player in the world is. I don't think it should even be an argument. Instead of Serena saying "we know who the real #1 is" she should've said like she's said in the past that she believes she is the best player in the world. Cuz there is clearly a difference.

Safina is #1 based on the ranking system. Its not her design so I don't get why she gets so much flack for it. She is the beneficiery of the system, whether we think its a flawed system or not. It doesn't make her look good when she gets whipped in the finals of slams and only wins 1 game in the semifinals of a slam, but she was consistent enough last year to grab the #1 ranking. I don't know. If people would just understand the difference between #1 and the best player in the world, I think this argument can just go away. I would like to see the majors have more points though and I think it was a bad idea getting rid of quality points when you beat top ranked players.
She has to defend the ranking system because she is WTA tour chief. If you say, it is only the slams that count, then the rest of the tour and her job become redundant.
Everyone knows Serena is the best but she needs to win more WTA events on top of those 3 GS to deserve that top ranking, cf
Navratilova 83 3 GS + 13 WTA
Graf 89 3 GS + 11 WTA
Seles 91 3 GS + 7 WTA
Seles 92 3 GS + 7 WTA
Graf 95 3 GS + 6 WTA
Graf 96 3 GS + 4 WTA
Hingis 97 3 GS + 9 WTA
Serena 02 3 GS + 5 WTA
StephenUK is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 03:41 AM   #4
country flag Szczecin

Szczecin has a brilliant future Szczecin has a brilliant future Szczecin has a brilliant future Szczecin has a brilliant future Szczecin has a brilliant future Szczecin has a brilliant future Szczecin has a brilliant future Szczecin has a brilliant future Szczecin has a brilliant future Szczecin has a brilliant future Szczecin has a brilliant future

She mentioned Elena as a drawcard...

She gets my vote
Grand Slam Glory for the Glorious Goddess
Come on Lena, it's yours!
Miss Resilient - Elena Dementieva AFR - I've Found My Hero !
Szczecin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 06:45 AM   #5
Volcana

Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That wasn't a defense of the ranking system. It was an explanation.
Quote:
If people would just understand the difference between #1 and the best player in the world, I think this argument can just go away.
That would require that people actually think. Not much, I grant you, but the challenge is clearly too much for a lot of people.
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 07:00 AM   #6
country flag mr_burns

mr_burns has much to be proud of mr_burns has much to be proud of mr_burns has much to be proud of mr_burns has much to be proud of mr_burns has much to be proud of mr_burns has much to be proud of mr_burns has much to be proud of mr_burns has much to be proud of mr_burns has much to be proud of mr_burns has much to be proud of mr_burns has much to be proud of

I like sche mentions the 3 top stars and as the next one elenea;-))

what elso should she say about the ranking? WTA can close the doors when it is only about slams ranking wise
mr_burns is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 07:58 AM   #7
country flag Sharapower

Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcana View Post
That would require that people actually think. Not much, I grant you, but the challenge is clearly too much for a lot of people.
"Think"? Whatdaheck is that?
Sharapower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 01:01 PM   #8
country flag ClaudiaZ-S

ClaudiaZ-S has a reputation beyond repute ClaudiaZ-S has a reputation beyond repute ClaudiaZ-S has a reputation beyond repute ClaudiaZ-S has a reputation beyond repute ClaudiaZ-S has a reputation beyond repute ClaudiaZ-S has a reputation beyond repute ClaudiaZ-S has a reputation beyond repute ClaudiaZ-S has a reputation beyond repute ClaudiaZ-S has a reputation beyond repute ClaudiaZ-S has a reputation beyond repute ClaudiaZ-S has a reputation beyond repute

Serena lost early in FO... Safin made the final...
Quel prix de mon amour! Il craint des pleurs qu'il m'oblige à répandre . Insensible au feu le plus tendre dont un coeur ait brûlé jamais , quand mes soupirs ne peuvent suspendre l'injustice de ses projets . Il fuit pour ne les pas entendre.

(July 4th, 1994 - August 5th, 2009) I love you so much... I miss you so...
Mary Pierce Brenda Schultz McCarthy Naomi Cavaday Elena Baltacha Kelly Liggan
Andy Murray Olivier Patience Alexander Slabinsky Lucky Tim
ClaudiaZ-S is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 02:23 PM   #9
TSequoia01

TSequoia01 has a brilliant future TSequoia01 has a brilliant future TSequoia01 has a brilliant future TSequoia01 has a brilliant future TSequoia01 has a brilliant future TSequoia01 has a brilliant future TSequoia01 has a brilliant future TSequoia01 has a brilliant future TSequoia01 has a brilliant future TSequoia01 has a brilliant future TSequoia01 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaudiaZ-S View Post
Serena lost early in FO... Safin made the final...
Not sure what your point was here, she made the quarters, but Serena knows the rules. I noticed early on that Serena did not like playing the low paying tournies. She would only play tier II and up. It probably had to do with recurring injuries so playing low tiered tournies was just not worth it from her point of view.

SERENA PRINCESS OF POWER
Victoria Duval - coming to a slam near you
Françoise Abanda definitely a future #1

Serena and Venus grannies with a purpose
Kimiko Date Krumm great granny still doing her thing.
TSequoia01 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 02:30 PM   #10
country flag Kworb
Most Loved Member

Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed, Safina is without question the best player in the world right now. Serena may have won the Slams but she is unable to bring that level to other events, so if you look at the whole picture, Safina is better than Serena at the moment.

SERENA WILLIAMS 64 75 AGNIESZKA RADWANSKA 61 57 60 LAUREN DAVIS 60 76
CAMILA GIORGI 46 63 75 BOJANA JOVANOVSKI 63 36 75 VENUS WILLIAMS 64 76
AGNIESZKA RADWANSKA 62 62 EKATERINA MAKAROVA 64 62 ANA IVANOVIC 63 64
Kworb is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 02:33 PM   #11
country flag Wiggly

Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute

I guess Rome and Madrid paid her 10K each to say those things.
Wiggly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 02:45 PM   #12
TSequoia01

TSequoia01 has a brilliant future TSequoia01 has a brilliant future TSequoia01 has a brilliant future TSequoia01 has a brilliant future TSequoia01 has a brilliant future TSequoia01 has a brilliant future TSequoia01 has a brilliant future TSequoia01 has a brilliant future TSequoia01 has a brilliant future TSequoia01 has a brilliant future TSequoia01 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kworb View Post
Indeed, Safina is without question the best player in the world right now. Serena may have won the Slams but she is unable to bring that level to other events, so if you look at the whole picture, Safina is better than Serena at the moment.
No Safina has more points than Serena, she is definitely not a better player. Not at the moment not ever.

SERENA PRINCESS OF POWER
Victoria Duval - coming to a slam near you
Françoise Abanda definitely a future #1

Serena and Venus grannies with a purpose
Kimiko Date Krumm great granny still doing her thing.
TSequoia01 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 02:57 PM   #13
country flag Kworb
Most Loved Member

Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute

This year Serena is 32-8 (80.0%) and Safina is 42-9 (82.4%). Serena had awful losses like against Zakopalova and Schiavone. It's not about how good they are at their peak, it's about how good they are in general. Serena is like coitus interruptus, she has a high failure rate but when it works the results are spectacular. Safina is like a condom, you can always count on her. Now which contraceptive is better?

SERENA WILLIAMS 64 75 AGNIESZKA RADWANSKA 61 57 60 LAUREN DAVIS 60 76
CAMILA GIORGI 46 63 75 BOJANA JOVANOVSKI 63 36 75 VENUS WILLIAMS 64 76
AGNIESZKA RADWANSKA 62 62 EKATERINA MAKAROVA 64 62 ANA IVANOVIC 63 64
Kworb is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 02:58 PM   #14
country flag brickhousesupporter

brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kworb View Post
Why are you trying to create controversy where none exist.....Safina is the number 1 ranked player right now now....Lets leave it at that.
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 03:21 PM   #15
country flag Yonexforever

Yonexforever has much to be proud of Yonexforever has much to be proud of Yonexforever has much to be proud of Yonexforever has much to be proud of Yonexforever has much to be proud of Yonexforever has much to be proud of Yonexforever has much to be proud of Yonexforever has much to be proud of Yonexforever has much to be proud of Yonexforever has much to be proud of Yonexforever has much to be proud of

Serena is like coitus interruptus, she has a high failure rate but when it works the results are spectacular. Safina is like a condom, you can always count on her. Now which contraceptive is better?

Best line i have heard in quite some time..
Yonexforever is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote