Cheering thread: USO - R2 vs Erakovic / WDR2 with Makarova! - Page 173 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 27th, 2011, 01:24 PM   #2581
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cheering thread - Estoril: R2 vs Barrois!

Now she has a few days to be ready for Madrid, and I want to see if the doubles team keeps winning
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 27th, 2011, 02:34 PM   #2582
country flag Rix643
member of NSSA

Rix643 has a reputation beyond repute Rix643 has a reputation beyond repute Rix643 has a reputation beyond repute Rix643 has a reputation beyond repute Rix643 has a reputation beyond repute Rix643 has a reputation beyond repute Rix643 has a reputation beyond repute Rix643 has a reputation beyond repute Rix643 has a reputation beyond repute Rix643 has a reputation beyond repute Rix643 has a reputation beyond repute

I was afraid this might happen. Whether she is in good form or not. she really has no offensive or defensive weapons against someone with a solid game plan.
Lena's strong points: BH half-high, volley and drop shots. Her weakest point: lateral movement behind the baseline (this is where Chesnokov focused working on). Just keep her running behind the baseline, avoiding a ball half high on her backhand (a nice well-paced BH CC with loads of spin placed near the baseline sure would help) and Lena is practically helpless.
Seen it too many times.....

Bibiane Weijers Official Facebook Fanpage: http://www.facebook.com/bibischoofs
Rix643 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 03:20 PM   #2583
country flag Pierre75

Pierre75 has much to be proud of Pierre75 has much to be proud of Pierre75 has much to be proud of Pierre75 has much to be proud of Pierre75 has much to be proud of Pierre75 has much to be proud of Pierre75 has much to be proud of Pierre75 has much to be proud of Pierre75 has much to be proud of Pierre75 has much to be proud of Pierre75 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rix643 View Post
I was afraid this might happen.
Yes you certainly saw it coming. Probably a good coach could help. That said, she was playing better every week before clay season began. Maybe she needs to adjust.
Pierre75 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2011, 01:57 AM   #2584
country flag HowardH

HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rix643 View Post
I was afraid this might happen. Whether she is in good form or not. she really has no offensive or defensive weapons against someone with a solid game plan.
Lena's strong points: BH half-high, volley and drop shots. Her weakest point: lateral movement behind the baseline (this is where Chesnokov focused working on). Just keep her running behind the baseline, avoiding a ball half high on her backhand (a nice well-paced BH CC with loads of spin placed near the baseline sure would help) and Lena is practically helpless.
Seen it too many times.....
I agree with this analysis, except I am not 100% sure what you mean by "half-high". What height exactly are you referring to? I know Elena is very good with backhands just above waist height and just below shoulder height. I suppose this is what you mean? She has the ability to take that ball early, on the rise, and can get a good cc angle (surprisingly sharp angle) as well as drive it up the line.

Also, Elena occasionally has days when everything is just "on" and even the best players struggle against her. On these days she serves well, hits her flat fh and bh well (the dtl ones are especially in my opinion) and ends up hitting a lot of winners/near winners which provide opportunities for her to finish at the net. She was like this when I watched her beat Woz in Auckland a couple of years ago during her run to the final. She was like this for the first half of the Istanbul final too. Happens only a handful of times a year though. Most of the time she doesn't have the timing to do it.

Last edited by HowardH : Apr 28th, 2011 at 04:32 AM.
HowardH is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2011, 11:19 PM   #2585
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cheering thread - Next up Madrid: Singles and doubles with Mirza!

Tomorrow is the madrid draw. Its a chance to get into the top 40 with a decent run.
In doubles, now that Nadia/Huber split, they can be top 4 in 2011 points with a good run.

Old Apr 29th, 2011, 05:02 AM   #2586
country flag hellas719

hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute

Lena
Against anyone else in the draw she would've won

Wickmayer. Venus. Ivanovic. Cirstea. Halep.
Azarenka. Krajicek. Flipkens. Pironkova. Begu.
Lisicki. Paszek. Vesnina. Pavlyuchenkova. Cornet.
Stephens. Oudin. King. Vandeweghe. McHale.
Grammatikopoulou ~ Papamichail ~ Sakkari
hellas719 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2011, 05:03 AM   #2587
country flag hellas719

hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute

Estoril reports from HenryMag.-

Elena Vesnina def. Barbara Luz 61 61

What can I say? I saw from 4-1 until the end. Vesnina was in practice mode, hitting hard and deep every shot, even to the middle, and easily forcing the error or the short ball from Luz. A couple of drop shots here and there and some BH angled return winners, were enough to not get into long ass top spinned rallies with Luz. The portuguese girl has a decent serve (she had an ace), but the rest of her game is kind of hard to evaluate, since the rallies were very short. Vesnina pumped the crowd with a gifted game with 4 UEs at the begining of the 2nd set, giving hopes to the portuguese nation but 15 mins later she finished the match with a deep return that forced the error from Luz. I said to her "Please, win the tournament" and she replied with a smile "I will try".

Kristina Barrois def. Elena Vesnina 64 63

Full match. Vesnina's BH was a hot mess, mistimed all the time and couldn't deal well with Barrois' slice BH or the top spinned FHs.
Vesnina started with a break of serve with 3 winners, aggressive deep shots. It seemed she was going to a«make a good match, but (portuguese expression) " foi sol de pouca dura" (which means "sun of short duration"). She was immediately broken and Barrois dominated most of the rallies that had more than 5 shots. HEr top spin shots and her BH slice was troubling Vesnina, who couldn't get her timing correct, especially on her BH who was totally off for all match. THey both held serve until Vesnina colapsed at 4-5, botching a couple of volleys to the net.
2nd set started with Barrois having the edge, she was clearly playing better, Vesnina was only hanging around due to her 1st serve sometimes, but when Barrois got the return inside and deep, the russian was clueless of how to pass the german. She kept insisting on CC BH rallies, with low success, since her BH was a hot mess like I said. Barrois got a 3-1, but the asian umpire (Shino 2 as I called her) literally gave the break back to Vesnina. Vesnina's BH return was called out, but the umpire overruled. Since Barrois didn't hit the ball, the chair umpire considered a winner and said the linejudge call was after Barrois let the ball go, when she was clearly there to hit but didn't since the shot was called out. To give you an idea, Vesnina's return was only like 1,5 meter to the left of that little line that separates the side where to serve. Since that was the side Barrois was serving (the ad side), she was totally capable of hitting the ball. Anyway, wide returns gave Vesnina the 3-3 but after that Barrois' level of serve and game cameback and she wasn't missing anything, dominating the rallies and reading Vesnina's serve well enough to not let the russian finish off the points on her 2nd shot. If she keeps playing like this, she's more than capable of winning the title.

Old Apr 29th, 2011, 04:39 PM   #2588
country flag Rix643
member of NSSA

Rix643 has a reputation beyond repute Rix643 has a reputation beyond repute Rix643 has a reputation beyond repute Rix643 has a reputation beyond repute Rix643 has a reputation beyond repute Rix643 has a reputation beyond repute Rix643 has a reputation beyond repute Rix643 has a reputation beyond repute Rix643 has a reputation beyond repute Rix643 has a reputation beyond repute Rix643 has a reputation beyond repute

Madrid, Lena's part:

16]Kvitova vs Dulgheru
Q vs Q
Q vs Vesnina
Schnyder vs [2]Zvonareva

Brutal.

Old Apr 29th, 2011, 04:45 PM   #2589
country flag Rix643
member of NSSA

The doubles, Sania&Lena's quarter:

(8) Benesova/Zahlavova Strycova vs. Mirza/Vesnina
Dushevina/Poutchek vs. Petrova/An. Rodionova
Dominguez Lino/Pous Tio vs. Jans/Rosolska
(2) Peschke/Srebotnik vs. BYE

Tough, but if you have YEC aspirations it must be doable.

Old Apr 29th, 2011, 05:21 PM   #2590
country flag Rix643
member of NSSA

Fun fact: Sania & Lena‘s first round opponents, Iveta & Barbora, play each other in first round singles..
In Dubai a similar situation existed where their first round opponents in doubles played each other on singles as well. Their opponents then: Timea Bacsinszky and .... Iveta Benesova...

BTW, Sania and Lena won, 5-7, 6-1, [10-7]

Old Apr 29th, 2011, 07:58 PM   #2591
country flag schorsch

schorsch has a reputation beyond repute schorsch has a reputation beyond repute schorsch has a reputation beyond repute schorsch has a reputation beyond repute schorsch has a reputation beyond repute schorsch has a reputation beyond repute schorsch has a reputation beyond repute schorsch has a reputation beyond repute schorsch has a reputation beyond repute schorsch has a reputation beyond repute schorsch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cheering thread - Madrid: R1 vs Q and WD R1 with Mirza!

But Timea is out injured atm

Why does Ves always draw Vera so early in premier draws
Official Masseur of the Jelena Clinic
Djokovic, Davydenko, Tipsarevic, Wawrinka, Baghdatis, Gulbis, Troicki, Kyrgios
schorsch is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2011, 10:42 PM   #2592
country flag goldenlox

Re: Cheering thread - Madrid: R1 vs Q and WD R1 with Mirza!

Here's a fun fact: Lena plays Sania in round 1!!
Now we see who is the Queen, who is the other partner.

Old Apr 30th, 2011, 11:07 PM   #2593
country flag Rix643
member of NSSA

Re: Cheering thread - Madrid: R1 vs Mirza & WD R1 with Mirza!

Well, there was a 12.5% chance....

Old May 1st, 2011, 04:07 AM   #2594
country flag hellas719

GL Vesnina!

Old May 1st, 2011, 01:46 PM   #2595
country flag goldenlox

Lena up 3-0