Alexandra Stevenson, "amateur" prize money - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 12th, 2009, 07:57 AM   #1
country flag Vyacheslavovna

Vyacheslavovna has a brilliant future Vyacheslavovna has a brilliant future Vyacheslavovna has a brilliant future Vyacheslavovna has a brilliant future Vyacheslavovna has a brilliant future Vyacheslavovna has a brilliant future Vyacheslavovna has a brilliant future Vyacheslavovna has a brilliant future Vyacheslavovna has a brilliant future Vyacheslavovna has a brilliant future Vyacheslavovna has a brilliant future
Alexandra Stevenson, "amateur" prize money

Someone else put up a thread about Alexandra Stevenson, the queen of retirements.

This jogged my memory.

She is Dr J's daughter,

And she got to the Wimbledon semi-final in 1999, as an amateur, I think she was at a US college.

What happened to her prize money? Did Wimbledon keep it, give it to charity, put it in a trust fund so they could give it to her when she turned pro, something else?

This has been bugging me since forever.

If anyone knows, please post.

Old Jul 12th, 2009, 08:30 AM   #2
country flag Ackms421

Ackms421 is a splendid one to behold Ackms421 is a splendid one to behold Ackms421 is a splendid one to behold Ackms421 is a splendid one to behold Ackms421 is a splendid one to behold Ackms421 is a splendid one to behold Ackms421 is a splendid one to behold Ackms421 is a splendid one to behold Ackms421 is a splendid one to behold Ackms421 is a splendid one to behold Ackms421 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Alexandra Stevenson, "amateur" prize money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyacheslavovna View Post
Someone else put up a thread about Alexandra Stevenson, the queen of retirements.

This jogged my memory.

She is Dr J's daughter,

And she got to the Wimbledon semi-final in 1999, as an amateur, I think she was at a US college.

What happened to her prize money? Did Wimbledon keep it, give it to charity, put it in a trust fund so they could give it to her when she turned pro, something else?

This has been bugging me since forever.

If anyone knows, please post.

She actually decided to turn pro during the tournament and so she got the money.
Ackms421 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 08:43 AM   #3
faboozadoo15

faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute

And why not? She could pay for college a few times over with the SF prize money.
faboozadoo15 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 08:44 AM   #4

Vyacheslavovna has a brilliant future Vyacheslavovna has a brilliant future Vyacheslavovna has a brilliant future Vyacheslavovna has a brilliant future Vyacheslavovna has a brilliant future Vyacheslavovna has a brilliant future Vyacheslavovna has a brilliant future Vyacheslavovna has a brilliant future Vyacheslavovna has a brilliant future Vyacheslavovna has a brilliant future Vyacheslavovna has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackms421 View Post
She actually decided to turn pro during the tournament and so she got the money.
Thanks for the reply.

That must have been a hard decision for her.
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 02:56 PM   #5
country flag HRHoliviasmith

HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute

i've wondered about this too. what would have happened with the money had she not turned pro? in general what are the rules regarding that(prize money that an ameteur wins at pro event)?
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 02:59 PM   #6
Petkorazzi

Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute

I have never heard such a thing. So basically if I go to wimby now and win a round, I won't be getting the money just cause i'm an amateur?
Petkorazzi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 03:04 PM   #7
country flag Meelis
Team WTAworld

Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliviasmith View Post
i've wondered about this too. what would have happened with the money had she not turned pro? in general what are the rules regarding that(prize money that an ameteur wins at pro event)?
Any unpaid prize money above and beyond an amateur’s expenses at a tournament will be divided evenly between the WTA and that tournament.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiles. View Post
I have never heard such a thing. So basically if I go to wimby now and win a round, I won't be getting the money just cause i'm an amateur?
Yes, only reasonable expenses (transportation, housing etc.), but not an amount greater than the prize money you would have won.
Meelis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 04:41 PM   #8
Petkorazzi

Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Meelis

And what exactly is going pro? Am I not a pro if I play tourneys all the time?
Petkorazzi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 05:07 PM   #9
country flag the jamierbelyea
I did it for the aesthetics.

the jamierbelyea has a reputation beyond repute the jamierbelyea has a reputation beyond repute the jamierbelyea has a reputation beyond repute the jamierbelyea has a reputation beyond repute the jamierbelyea has a reputation beyond repute the jamierbelyea has a reputation beyond repute the jamierbelyea has a reputation beyond repute the jamierbelyea has a reputation beyond repute the jamierbelyea has a reputation beyond repute the jamierbelyea has a reputation beyond repute the jamierbelyea has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiles. View Post
Thanks Meelis

And what exactly is going pro? Am I not a pro if I play tourneys all the time?
Turning pro just basically means you will be accepting prize money awards for the tournaments you play.

For many of the American juniors they stay amateur while they play tournaments when they are 14-18, because if they turn pro, and accept prize money they are ineligible to play in college.

This turning pro/amateur status is far more prevalent in golf then in tennis though.
the jamierbelyea is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 04:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie RS View Post
For many of the American juniors they stay amateur while they play tournaments when they are 14-18, because if they turn pro, and accept prize money they are ineligible to play in college.

This turning pro/amateur status is far more prevalent in golf then in tennis though.

Interesting responses.

I understood being amateur was necessary if you were at a US college with a sports scholarship. How does it work in golf? Justin Rose was an amateur when he had a high finish in the open. I'm 99.9% sure he wasn't at a US college. Why was he amateur and did he just turn pro to cash in as well?
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 06:34 PM   #11
country flag tenn_ace

tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie RS View Post
Turning pro just basically means you will be accepting prize money awards for the tournaments you play.

almost correct - they can still play for a college but there has to be a break between the pro-career and college. Beier Ko is playing for Harvard for instance
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 07:37 PM   #12
country flag HRHoliviasmith

HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenn_ace View Post
almost correct - they can still play for a college but there has to be a break between the pro-career and college. Beier Ko is playing for Harvard for instance
please explain...
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 07:40 PM   #13
country flag darrinbaker00
Serena's #1 Hater

darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenn_ace View Post
Isn't there also a ceiling on how high they can be ranked and/or how much prize money they can win? For instance, Cal's #1 singles player, 21-year-old freshman Jana Juricova, played on the Tour for a little while and was ranked in the 200's.
"He who finds a wife finds a good thing, and obtains favor from the Lord." -- Proverbs 18:22

"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard." -- Herb Brooks

"A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life." -- Muhammad Ali
darrinbaker00 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 08:12 PM   #14
country flag the jamierbelyea
I did it for the aesthetics.

the jamierbelyea has a reputation beyond repute the jamierbelyea has a reputation beyond repute the jamierbelyea has a reputation beyond repute the jamierbelyea has a reputation beyond repute the jamierbelyea has a reputation beyond repute the jamierbelyea has a reputation beyond repute the jamierbelyea has a reputation beyond repute the jamierbelyea has a reputation beyond repute the jamierbelyea has a reputation beyond repute the jamierbelyea has a reputation beyond repute the jamierbelyea has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyacheslavovna View Post
Interesting responses.

I understood being amateur was necessary if you were at a US college with a sports scholarship. How does it work in golf? Justin Rose was an amateur when he had a high finish in the open. I'm 99.9% sure he wasn't at a US college. Why was he amateur and did he just turn pro to cash in as well?
Well for a younger player in golf, there are a lot of amateur championships that you have to remain in amateur status to compete in. The British Amateur, US Amateur, etc. Pretty much for golfers if they want to compete on any level junior tournament they have to remain amateur, otherwise their only options are the pro events, and for many 16-18 year olds their games are not ready. Once they turn pro they are ineligible for all of those events.
the jamierbelyea is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 08:25 PM   #15
country flag tenn_ace

tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliviasmith View Post
please explain...

means they should turn back to amateur