new racquet - need advice ASAP - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 30th, 2008, 11:35 AM   #1
country flag ilendl

ilendl is a glorious beacon of light ilendl is a glorious beacon of light ilendl is a glorious beacon of light ilendl is a glorious beacon of light ilendl is a glorious beacon of light ilendl is a glorious beacon of light ilendl is a glorious beacon of light ilendl is a glorious beacon of light ilendl is a glorious beacon of light ilendl is a glorious beacon of light ilendl is a glorious beacon of light
Talking new racquet - need advice ASAP

Hi guys,

I'm an intermediate player (at best) and want an opinion ASAP (the racquets I am interested in are on sale).

The choice I've got is:

Wilson K Factor K4 105 OR: Yonex RDX 120 G3.

I used to use a Yonex R22 back in the 1980s and liked its lightness (much preferred it to the R-27 - that may give you experts more of an idea about what would be good for me).

Thanks in advance for your help.
ilendl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 30th, 2008, 12:18 PM   #2
country flag shell

shell has much to be proud of shell has much to be proud of shell has much to be proud of shell has much to be proud of shell has much to be proud of shell has much to be proud of shell has much to be proud of shell has much to be proud of shell has much to be proud of shell has much to be proud of shell has much to be proud of
Re: new racquet - need advice ASAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilendl View Post
Hi guys,

I'm an intermediate player (at best) and want an opinion ASAP (the racquets I am interested in are on sale).

The choice I've got is:

Wilson K Factor K4 105 OR: Yonex RDX 120 G3.

I used to use a Yonex R22 back in the 1980s and liked its lightness (much preferred it to the R-27 - that may give you experts more of an idea about what would be good for me).

Thanks in advance for your help.
Well, ilendl, I am not too familiar with either of these racquets (in fact, I have never heard of this Yonex), but if you played with an R22 then neither of these are anything like the R22.

The Wilson is a very stiff, head heavy racquet that is very light. It is made for folks that do not have full strokes and need the racquet to do most of the work. It also has the makings to do a number on your arm (tennis elbow) if you are not careful.

Have you hit with either of these? If not, and you are just looking at them because they are on sale, then remember that around Aussie Open time most racquet companies come out with their new models. There may be many other racquets that go on sale. Many of them have already started.

But most important is to try and demo, or hit with one before you buy it. Look around for a pro shop that will allow this, or hit with your friends racquets to get an ideal what you like. I would not recommend just buying one without trying one. And I really wonder if either of your two choices are right for you given your racquet history.

Hope this helps!
shell is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2008, 12:57 PM   #3
country flag shell

shell has much to be proud of shell has much to be proud of shell has much to be proud of shell has much to be proud of shell has much to be proud of shell has much to be proud of shell has much to be proud of shell has much to be proud of shell has much to be proud of shell has much to be proud of shell has much to be proud of

One more thing I thought of...

Your R22s were the racquet of choice for Martina Nav. and even Johnny Mac used them for a bit. They are both serve and volley players. When you mention you liked the "lightness" of the racquet, you are probably feeling the head light balance (easy to move around - hence serve and volley players use them).

You will probably want to keep your search narrowed down to even balance or slightly head light balance. A good pro shop will be able to point out some great "tweener" racquets for you. Tweener (between heavy and light) racquets are going to be a good weight and balance for you. They are the most popular catagory of racquets. Every brand will have several offerings in that range. Look for the previous year models for good buys.
shell is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2008, 02:08 PM   #4
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute

Second the above.

Play test before you buy. A racket you are not comfortable with can more than wipe out the cost savings in medical bills (tennis elbow or other complications if you throw your swing off), or if you end up ditching the racket. Both have happened to me--when I got back into tennis after a long layoff about 6 years ago, I got a racket that was way too stiff and hurt my arm. Got another that was way to head-heavy for my game and ditched it. Got smart and playtested and have used the same racket for years now.

You can still find rackets you can playtest on sale in my experience.
"I read on the internet that there is something chipmunky about me :-)"--Andrea H.

Elena Viatcheslavovna Dementieva--Eternal Goddess of the Divine Bangs
miffedmax is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2008, 02:31 PM   #5
country flag northern lad

northern lad has a reputation beyond repute northern lad has a reputation beyond repute northern lad has a reputation beyond repute northern lad has a reputation beyond repute northern lad has a reputation beyond repute northern lad has a reputation beyond repute northern lad has a reputation beyond repute northern lad has a reputation beyond repute northern lad has a reputation beyond repute northern lad has a reputation beyond repute northern lad has a reputation beyond repute

tenniswarehouse.com

they've got a great demo program and tons of info on finding the right racket
northern lad is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2008, 03:00 PM   #6
country flag ilendl

ilendl is a glorious beacon of light ilendl is a glorious beacon of light ilendl is a glorious beacon of light ilendl is a glorious beacon of light ilendl is a glorious beacon of light ilendl is a glorious beacon of light ilendl is a glorious beacon of light ilendl is a glorious beacon of light ilendl is a glorious beacon of light ilendl is a glorious beacon of light ilendl is a glorious beacon of light

Much appreciated everyone. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
ilendl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2009, 02:36 PM   #7
country flag marliss1122

marliss1122 is an unknown quantity at this point

Can't help you much in that area, but if you are ever in need of tennis accesories such as headbands / wristbands, sunscreens, gloves, grips, etc., check out this site. The service is unbelievable!

http://www.uniquesportsaccessories.c...=110&catId=110
marliss1122 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 11:40 PM   #8
country flag mojoo999

mojoo999 is an unknown quantity at this point

My favorite is the Kfactor, demo it before buying though.