Maria Sharapova playing WTT... - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 11th, 2009, 02:38 PM   #1
country flag s_j

s_j has a reputation beyond repute s_j has a reputation beyond repute s_j has a reputation beyond repute s_j has a reputation beyond repute s_j has a reputation beyond repute s_j has a reputation beyond repute s_j has a reputation beyond repute s_j has a reputation beyond repute s_j has a reputation beyond repute s_j has a reputation beyond repute s_j has a reputation beyond repute
Maria Sharapova playing WTT...

Maria is returning to World Team Tennis action this summer.* Maria will play for will play for the Newport Beach Breakers on Wednesday, July 22nd, when they host the Kansas City Explorers.* The tie will begin at 19.05 local time.

Maria previously played*four seasons for the Breakers from 2003-2005 and 2007.* She made her WTT debut as a 15-year-old in 2002 for the Delaware Smash.

Now I'm all up for Maria playing as much tennis as possible so that she reaches her old form, yet I can't help but feel her priorities aren't great. Her ranking is still only at #60, but she only puts herself forward to the big tournaments. Yes, she has the fight and drive necessary, but she doesn't have the form (she lost to Dulko at Wimbledon!!? What was that all about?!) and she doesn't have the ranking points needed to give her good draws. She needs ranking points to avoid poor draws during the US hardcourt season, so why is she playing WTT and not, say, Portoroz? She needs to play some smaller tournaments to give her some easier opponents and guaranteed ranking points.

I don't know. She's had her break after Wimbledon - I just think she could be spending her time on court a bit more wisely and do something that actually contributes to getting herself back to the top where she belongs! She probably knows what she's doing though and I can't wait to see her on the hardcourts! Go Maria!
YEC Champion 2004 - London 2012 Olympics Silver Medalist
s_j is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 11th, 2009, 02:41 PM   #2
country flag CrossCourt~Rally

CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Maria Sharapova playing WTT...

Good news, thats nice practice for her
CrossCourt~Rally is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 02:44 PM   #3
country flag s_j

s_j has a reputation beyond repute s_j has a reputation beyond repute s_j has a reputation beyond repute s_j has a reputation beyond repute s_j has a reputation beyond repute s_j has a reputation beyond repute s_j has a reputation beyond repute s_j has a reputation beyond repute s_j has a reputation beyond repute s_j has a reputation beyond repute s_j has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossCourt~Rally View Post
Good news, thats nice practice for her
I suppose. And I know she's playing Stanford, LA and Toronto... but why play WTT when she could play a tournie that earns her points? I guess it's because she doesn't want to have to travel from America, which is understandable.
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 03:44 PM   #4
country flag sharapovarulz1
She came to play.......

sharapovarulz1 has a reputation beyond repute sharapovarulz1 has a reputation beyond repute sharapovarulz1 has a reputation beyond repute sharapovarulz1 has a reputation beyond repute sharapovarulz1 has a reputation beyond repute sharapovarulz1 has a reputation beyond repute sharapovarulz1 has a reputation beyond repute sharapovarulz1 has a reputation beyond repute sharapovarulz1 has a reputation beyond repute sharapovarulz1 has a reputation beyond repute sharapovarulz1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thats good to hear I totally agree with what your saying though s_j she maybe could be spending her time a little but more wisely!

Official Right Midfielder Of The Sveta Football Team
sharapovarulz1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 03:47 PM   #5
country flag TheBoiledEgg
Moderator - Challengers & Juniors

TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_j View Post
I suppose. And I know she's playing Stanford, LA and Toronto... but why play WTT when she could play a tournie that earns her points? I guess it's because she doesn't want to have to travel from America, which is understandable.
why do you think there's only MM events during this time every yr
MINELLA LARRIERETsurenkoAlize Lim*El Tabakh*Robson*Cirstea*Juhaszova*Zanevska*Broady*Bouchard*Savic*M irza*Pennetta*Hantuchova*Cibulkova*Ivanovic*Fitzpatrick*Remondina*Domachowska*Flipkens*Hercog*Hofmanova*Schoofs*Cet kovska *Svitolina*Pliskova's*Rus
http://www.twitter.com/TheBoiledEgg
TheBoiledEgg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 04:02 PM   #6
country flag s_j

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoiledEgg View Post
why do you think there's only MM events during this time every yr
MM events?
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 04:02 PM   #7
Miss Amor
Legendary

Miss Amor has a reputation beyond repute Miss Amor has a reputation beyond repute Miss Amor has a reputation beyond repute Miss Amor has a reputation beyond repute Miss Amor has a reputation beyond repute Miss Amor has a reputation beyond repute Miss Amor has a reputation beyond repute Miss Amor has a reputation beyond repute Miss Amor has a reputation beyond repute Miss Amor has a reputation beyond repute Miss Amor has a reputation beyond repute

Player forum.

Miss Amor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 04:10 PM   #8
country flag TheBoiledEgg
Moderator - Challengers & Juniors

TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_j View Post
MM events?
no Tier II or above (or now from 2009 no Premier events) during BJK circus
MINELLA LARRIERETsurenkoAlize Lim*El Tabakh*Robson*Cirstea*Juhaszova*Zanevska*Broady*Bouchard*Savic*M irza*Pennetta*Hantuchova*Cibulkova*Ivanovic*Fitzpatrick*Remondina*Domachowska*Flipkens*Hercog*Hofmanova*Schoofs*Cet kovska *Svitolina*Pliskova's*Rus
http://www.twitter.com/TheBoiledEgg
TheBoiledEgg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 04:16 PM   #9
country flag s_j

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoiledEgg View Post
no Tier II or above (or now from 2009 no Premier events) during BJK circus
TBE, I appreciate your comment, but my point was that I think Maria could play an International tournament, such as Portoroz, in which she would have a better chance of gaining well-needed ranking points, yet still play decent opponents, instead of playing WTT. I don't believe there are only Mickey Mouse tournaments at this time of year. I understand Maria won't want to play on outdoor red clay, but surely a hardcourt International tournament would benefit her more than WTT. It would also give her nice practice for her scheduled 3 Premier tournaments.
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 05:54 PM   #10
country flag Ciarán

Ciarán has a reputation beyond repute Ciarán has a reputation beyond repute Ciarán has a reputation beyond repute Ciarán has a reputation beyond repute Ciarán has a reputation beyond repute Ciarán has a reputation beyond repute Ciarán has a reputation beyond repute Ciarán has a reputation beyond repute Ciarán has a reputation beyond repute Ciarán has a reputation beyond repute Ciarán has a reputation beyond repute

Good practice, but I hope she isn't going to over do it...

Paszek & Chakvetadze & Vaidisova & Sharapova & Pavlyuchenkova & Vekic.
Ciarán is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 06:26 PM   #11
country flag Jacey

Jacey has much to be proud of Jacey has much to be proud of Jacey has much to be proud of Jacey has much to be proud of Jacey has much to be proud of Jacey has much to be proud of Jacey has much to be proud of Jacey has much to be proud of Jacey has much to be proud of Jacey has much to be proud of Jacey has much to be proud of

Maria just has to do her best playing WTT.....there's no expectations, this is like practice for her. Why tavel outside of the US to get some "match play".....and really how many ranking points would she earn playing at a lower tier, not much to make a difference before the US Open, I would think. I think coming back from injury, Maria probably had it in her mind that she's just not going to put alot of pressure into what the outcome was for the rest of the season. Its going to take a while to get back to form, and I'm glad that she's aware of that.