Grand slam final set- change needed? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 11th, 2009, 05:20 AM   #1
tennnisfannn

tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute
Grand slam final set- change needed?

I wondered this while watching the federer/roddick match. It is clear that whoever serves first has an advantage in any third set especially if you have to break for the match. Considering how roddick/federer wnet all the way to 16/14 that was 30 games in which federer was advantaged. What if there was a change such that if playeres got to 6 all then the other player starts serving first kinda like they do in tie breaks and then there would change back at 12 all and after every 12 games should the match last that long. Is this far fetched or a good idea?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 11th, 2009, 05:27 AM   #2
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Grand slam final set- change needed?

No that won't work at all!

Correct me if I'm wrong but are you saying...

In this example, Federer serves for 6-5, then Roddick serves for 6-6. And then the order is reversed so Roddick serves again?

Meaning, Roddick gets to serve in the 12th and 13th games for that set? Having to serve for two consecutive games may be an advantage or disadvantage and wouldn't bring balance.

A lot of matches would be decided around that mark and scores would end with 8-6.

You'd be better off replacing with a tiebreak. I think.

Pas de Quatre: Swan Lake, Giselle, The Nutcracker, Coppélia
Sam L is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 05:40 AM   #3
country flag Marcus1979
Team WTAworld

Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute

I hate final set tiebreaks its like a raffle on who wins it basically.
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 06:43 AM   #4
country flag Edinboro

Edinboro has a reputation beyond repute Edinboro has a reputation beyond repute Edinboro has a reputation beyond repute Edinboro has a reputation beyond repute Edinboro has a reputation beyond repute Edinboro has a reputation beyond repute Edinboro has a reputation beyond repute Edinboro has a reputation beyond repute Edinboro has a reputation beyond repute Edinboro has a reputation beyond repute Edinboro has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps we should just raise the net? It would make people focus more on their overall game and less on their serves. Its all about serves on the mens side and its starting to become that way on the womens side. I say lets raise the net!

Lauren Davis!!
Tsvetana Pironkova, Maria Sharapova, Serena Williams, Ana Ivanovic, Petra Kvitova, Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova, Anna Chakvetadze, Simona Halep, Kaia Kanepi, Klara Zakopalova, Sofia Arvidsson

Elena Dementieva - Always my number 1 2012 FITD Olympic Gold Medal Champion!
Edinboro is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 10:29 AM   #5
country flag Polikarpov

Polikarpov has a reputation beyond repute Polikarpov has a reputation beyond repute Polikarpov has a reputation beyond repute Polikarpov has a reputation beyond repute Polikarpov has a reputation beyond repute Polikarpov has a reputation beyond repute Polikarpov has a reputation beyond repute Polikarpov has a reputation beyond repute Polikarpov has a reputation beyond repute Polikarpov has a reputation beyond repute Polikarpov has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus1979 View Post
I hate final set tiebreaks its like a raffle on who wins it basically.
I agree. It would be really painful to see someone lose in a fifth set tiebreak, especially if both players reached championship points. Nothing is unfair about serving first in the fifth set. Roddick served out the fourth set so naturally Federer will serve first in the fifth. And I don't think Roddick would want to tank his service game at 5-3, then try to break Federer for the set so he could start first for the fifth.
Polikarpov is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 02:31 PM   #6
country flag Tennis Ball

Tennis Ball has a brilliant future Tennis Ball has a brilliant future Tennis Ball has a brilliant future Tennis Ball has a brilliant future Tennis Ball has a brilliant future Tennis Ball has a brilliant future Tennis Ball has a brilliant future Tennis Ball has a brilliant future Tennis Ball has a brilliant future Tennis Ball has a brilliant future Tennis Ball has a brilliant future

Funny, I was thinking the exact same! Federer serving for 6-5. Roddick serving for 7-6. Federer serving for 7-7; Roddick for 8-7, and so on, till 12-11, and hand the serve advantage over again. I agree it's quit unfair one player gets the serve advantage for such a long time, and was also wondering if there are stats that tell the percentage of how many times the player that started the final set won the match?
Also think about the big psychological disadvantage of having to serve all these times to letteraly stay into the match, and the "must-break, otherwise serving under stress again", compared to Federer serving relatively relaxed plus trying to break completely relaxed: "if it doesn't succeed this time, I have another chance next time".

Speculating, another rule could be a difference of 3 instead of 2 games, that way the just broken player gets a chance to break back and the match is not immediately decided and ended by this one break. If the player who just broke wants to win, he should serve it out one final time, particularly when the match is so close.
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 02:34 PM   #7
country flag adner

adner has a reputation beyond repute adner has a reputation beyond repute adner has a reputation beyond repute adner has a reputation beyond repute adner has a reputation beyond repute adner has a reputation beyond repute adner has a reputation beyond repute adner has a reputation beyond repute adner has a reputation beyond repute adner has a reputation beyond repute adner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis Ball View Post

Speculating, another rule could be a difference of 3 instead of 2 games, that way the just broken player gets a chance to break back and the match is not immediately decided and ended by this one break. If the player who just broke wants to win, he should serve it out one final time, particularly when the match is so close.
One of players would have to break twice to win!
adner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 02:39 PM   #8
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute

No. No. No. Sorry I'm a purist.

It's already bad enough that they have tiebreaks in ANY set.

Just leave the damn final set as it is. Having Player A serve, Player B serve, Player B serve again, Player A serve in that order is just awful and destroys the foundations of tennis. Or winning by 3 games. No, just no.

Pas de Quatre: Swan Lake, Giselle, The Nutcracker, Coppélia
Sam L is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 02:49 PM   #9
country flag Marcus1979
Team WTAworld

Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute

what slams don't do final set tiebreaks?

Australian Open and Wimbledon or is it Roland Garros and Wimbledon?
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 02:50 PM   #10
country flag darrinbaker00
Serena's #1 Hater

darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus1979 View Post
what slams don't do final set tiebreaks?

Australian Open and Wimbledon or is it Roland Garros and Wimbledon?
The US Open is the only major that has the final-set tiebreak.
"He who finds a wife finds a good thing, and obtains favor from the Lord." -- Proverbs 18:22

"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard." -- Herb Brooks

"A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life." -- Muhammad Ali
darrinbaker00 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 02:54 PM   #11
country flag Marcus1979
Team WTAworld

ok I thought there was another ok thanks.

Since thats the slam of your country Darrin whats your opinion of it?
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 02:55 PM   #12
country flag bwahahahahaha

bwahahahahaha is a splendid one to behold bwahahahahaha is a splendid one to behold bwahahahahaha is a splendid one to behold bwahahahahaha is a splendid one to behold bwahahahahaha is a splendid one to behold bwahahahahaha is a splendid one to behold bwahahahahaha is a splendid one to behold bwahahahahaha is a splendid one to behold bwahahahahaha is a splendid one to behold bwahahahahaha is a splendid one to behold bwahahahahaha is a splendid one to behold

Oh puhlease! You can't change the rules every time your favorite player loses!
bwahahahahaha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 02:55 PM   #13
tennnisfannn

tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam L View Post
No. No. No. Sorry I'm a purist.

It's already bad enough that they have tiebreaks in ANY set.

Just leave the damn final set as it is. Having Player A serve, Player B serve, Player B serve again, Player A serve in that order is just awful and destroys the foundations of tennis. Or winning by 3 games. No, just no.
In my question i was referring to swapping over after 6 0r 9 games not after every service. Surely for a game that goes ridiculously as long as the roddick /federer one. after 6/6. roddick could have served first till they got to to 9/9 or 12 all. Sounds reasonable to me. there is no double break just to win
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 02:55 PM   #14
country flag fnuf7

fnuf7 has a reputation beyond repute fnuf7 has a reputation beyond repute fnuf7 has a reputation beyond repute fnuf7 has a reputation beyond repute fnuf7 has a reputation beyond repute fnuf7 has a reputation beyond repute fnuf7 has a reputation beyond repute fnuf7 has a reputation beyond repute fnuf7 has a reputation beyond repute fnuf7 has a reputation beyond repute fnuf7 has a reputation beyond repute

No, don't care if it's an advantage to serve first, that's the way it is & everyone is aware of it. The player coming from behind & trying to force a 3rd/5th set should try their hardest to break to win the 2nd/4th set & so gain the advantage of serving first in that deciding set.

Svetlana Kuznetsova
Roland Garros - 09 US Open - 04
fnuf7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 02:58 PM   #15
country flag Kworb
Most Loved Member

Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute

Is it really an advantage? Do we have statistics to see if guys who serve first in the 5th set win it more often?

SERENA WILLIAMS 64 75 AGNIESZKA RADWANSKA 61 57 60
LAUREN DAVIS 60 76 CAMILA GIORGI 46 63 75 BOJANA JOVANOVSKI 63 36 75
Kworb is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote