US Open No Tiebreak - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 9th, 2009, 01:15 PM   #1
country flag jzrnsk

jzrnsk is a jewel in the rough jzrnsk is a jewel in the rough jzrnsk is a jewel in the rough jzrnsk is a jewel in the rough jzrnsk is a jewel in the rough jzrnsk is a jewel in the rough jzrnsk is a jewel in the rough jzrnsk is a jewel in the rough jzrnsk is a jewel in the rough jzrnsk is a jewel in the rough jzrnsk is a jewel in the rough
US Open No Tiebreak

I am a purist, I like Grand Slams to all have no tiebreaks. That way people have to be good at the whole game, including returning serve, to win matches. But Tiebreaks in the first four sets is the only way to speed things up, so I guess it's okay like that, even if I like it the other way.
However, I hate the fact that US Open fifth setters always end in one lousy, boring tiebreak! US is the only GS to have this, and it sucks!!! It is simply boring to watch tiebreaks!!! Those who play better under pressure, like those who can ace do well at the US because of this rule!!! Without pressure, we will see tennis from the actual best players of the sport.

So who likes this idea?

Go Rafa!
jzrnsk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 9th, 2009, 01:16 PM   #2
country flag Uranium
Dubai Love

Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute
Re: US Open No Tiebreak

Capriati lost 3 3rd set tiebreak semis at the USO
Dementieva, Seles and Henin.
I agree in a way, the tiebreak usually is a bad way to end the match in a slam.

Uranium is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 01:17 PM   #3
country flag iGOAT

iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I wish they would ditch them.
iGOAT is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 01:20 PM   #4
country flag mr_burns

mr_burns has much to be proud of mr_burns has much to be proud of mr_burns has much to be proud of mr_burns has much to be proud of mr_burns has much to be proud of mr_burns has much to be proud of mr_burns has much to be proud of mr_burns has much to be proud of mr_burns has much to be proud of mr_burns has much to be proud of mr_burns has much to be proud of

I thought I wouldn't like it, but to watch a match with a rd set tie break can be so thrilling..with the serve strenght of most women it is more important on the mens tour (see wimbledon final)

elena used to be the 3rd set tiebreak queen..maybe that's why i liked it
mr_burns is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 01:21 PM   #5
country flag Fantasy Hero

Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's much better to have a "normal" 3rd/5th set in the USO

http://ski-and-tennis.blogspot.it
my own blog with reviews and articles, have a look if you're intrested
Fantasy Hero is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 01:22 PM   #6
country flag AndreConrad

AndreConrad has a reputation beyond repute AndreConrad has a reputation beyond repute AndreConrad has a reputation beyond repute AndreConrad has a reputation beyond repute AndreConrad has a reputation beyond repute AndreConrad has a reputation beyond repute AndreConrad has a reputation beyond repute AndreConrad has a reputation beyond repute AndreConrad has a reputation beyond repute AndreConrad has a reputation beyond repute AndreConrad has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed on the fact that US Open should follow the rules at other slams. I disagree that tiebreaks are boring; they are not especially in women comeptition. They favor, however, a specific profile of a player.
Bally, Rest In Peace!
AndreConrad is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 01:23 PM   #7
country flag fnuf7

fnuf7 has a reputation beyond repute fnuf7 has a reputation beyond repute fnuf7 has a reputation beyond repute fnuf7 has a reputation beyond repute fnuf7 has a reputation beyond repute fnuf7 has a reputation beyond repute fnuf7 has a reputation beyond repute fnuf7 has a reputation beyond repute fnuf7 has a reputation beyond repute fnuf7 has a reputation beyond repute fnuf7 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree...whilst I wouldn't want the tiebreak to go altogether I certainly wouldn't want it in the deciding set. I know they want tennis to speed up so they can get more tv deals & casual fans etc but I hate that a GS is potentially decided with tiebreak...I mean you can play terribly & just scrape through holding serve all day & then just get lucky for 7 points or your opponent can just get really unlucky for 7 pts. Some tiebreaks are great & played well but sometimes it's a bit like a lucky dip as to who ends up winning it & I don't think that should decide a GS in the final set.

I will say though that if Ivo Karlovic is playing then they should just immediately start with tiebreaks & forget playing up to 6-6 in the sets.

Svetlana Kuznetsova
Roland Garros - 09 US Open - 04
fnuf7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 01:23 PM   #8
country flag Sexysova
Hot as hell! <3

Sexysova has a reputation beyond repute Sexysova has a reputation beyond repute Sexysova has a reputation beyond repute Sexysova has a reputation beyond repute Sexysova has a reputation beyond repute Sexysova has a reputation beyond repute Sexysova has a reputation beyond repute Sexysova has a reputation beyond repute Sexysova has a reputation beyond repute Sexysova has a reputation beyond repute Sexysova has a reputation beyond repute

third set TB is IMO the worst thing to finish the matches, I would cancel it everywhere..
Sexysova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 01:32 PM   #9
country flag Fantasy Hero

Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexysova View Post
third set TB is IMO the worst thing to finish the matches, I would cancel it everywhere..
yeah...i agree with you...but probably they don't do that because it would be too hard for a player to play many tournaments in a row...i think at least they should cancel it from the finals of every tournaments and in the Tier I (i don't remember their new name!)

http://ski-and-tennis.blogspot.it
my own blog with reviews and articles, have a look if you're intrested
Fantasy Hero is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 01:34 PM   #10
country flag Sexysova
Hot as hell! <3

Sexysova has a reputation beyond repute Sexysova has a reputation beyond repute Sexysova has a reputation beyond repute Sexysova has a reputation beyond repute Sexysova has a reputation beyond repute Sexysova has a reputation beyond repute Sexysova has a reputation beyond repute Sexysova has a reputation beyond repute Sexysova has a reputation beyond repute Sexysova has a reputation beyond repute Sexysova has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by skronck View Post
yeah...i agree with you...but probably they don't do that because it would be too hard for a player to play many tournaments in a row...i think at least they should cancel it from the finals of every tournaments and in the Tier I (i don't remember their new name!)
well.. I could agree about that, for sure, but I think there're not a lot of matches which end 7-6 in third.. at least not the same player plays a lot of matches of this kind..
Sexysova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 01:59 PM   #11
country flag Edinboro

Edinboro has a reputation beyond repute Edinboro has a reputation beyond repute Edinboro has a reputation beyond repute Edinboro has a reputation beyond repute Edinboro has a reputation beyond repute Edinboro has a reputation beyond repute Edinboro has a reputation beyond repute Edinboro has a reputation beyond repute Edinboro has a reputation beyond repute Edinboro has a reputation beyond repute Edinboro has a reputation beyond repute

I actually dont mind the third set tiebrakers. Every other slam is notable for something. Let The US Open be different. I could care less.

Lauren Davis!!
Tsvetana Pironkova, Maria Sharapova, Serena Williams, Ana Ivanovic, Petra Kvitova, Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova, Anna Chakvetadze, Simona Halep, Kaia Kanepi, Klara Zakopalova, Sofia Arvidsson

Elena Dementieva - Always my number 1 2012 FITD Olympic Gold Medal Champion!
Edinboro is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 02:48 PM   #12
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly. With two hardcourt slams, let this be what sets the US Open apart. All us 'mericans have short attention spans anyways.

What were we talking about?
"I read on the internet that there is something chipmunky about me :-)"--Andrea H.

Elena Viatcheslavovna Dementieva--Eternal Goddess of the Divine Bangs
miffedmax is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 02:54 PM   #13
spartanfan

spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute

I prefer the 3/5th set tiebreak. If not having a last set tiebreak is so great then why don't they use it at other tournaments outside of the three slams? If you want to be a top elite tennis player, then you have to deal with big pressure situations and points, ie. the tiebreak. Plus it speeds things along, some of these mens matches (ie. Wimbledon final) can drag on for WAY too long.
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 03:21 PM   #14
country flag fnuf7

fnuf7 has a reputation beyond repute fnuf7 has a reputation beyond repute fnuf7 has a reputation beyond repute fnuf7 has a reputation beyond repute fnuf7 has a reputation beyond repute fnuf7 has a reputation beyond repute fnuf7 has a reputation beyond repute fnuf7 has a reputation beyond repute fnuf7 has a reputation beyond repute fnuf7 has a reputation beyond repute fnuf7 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartanfan View Post
I prefer the 3/5th set tiebreak. If not having a last set tiebreak is so great then why don't they use it at other tournaments outside of the three slams? If you want to be a top elite tennis player, then you have to deal with big pressure situations and points, ie. the tiebreak. Plus it speeds things along, some of these mens matches (ie. Wimbledon final) can drag on for WAY too long.
Yeah but that's part of the appeal, the fact that the match will not end til someone can break & hold...or hold & break, depends who's serves first etc. That Wimbledon final was a prime example, tension supreme & way more than if you knew all they had to do was get to 6-6 & then they'd have a straightforward tiebreak & the final set would probably all be over in an hour absolute max. I pushed my Sunday dinner back by like 4 hours so I could see the whole final, didn't even want to leave to get the food started so it could cook in the background whilst I watched, it was that exciting & unpredictable. Tiebreaks suck out the drama at the end of a final.

Svetlana Kuznetsova
Roland Garros - 09 US Open - 04
fnuf7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 03:24 PM   #15
country flag Pebbles
Dementieva

Pebbles has a reputation beyond repute Pebbles has a reputation beyond repute Pebbles has a reputation beyond repute Pebbles has a reputation beyond repute Pebbles has a reputation beyond repute Pebbles has a reputation beyond repute Pebbles has a reputation beyond repute Pebbles has a reputation beyond repute Pebbles has a reputation beyond repute Pebbles has a reputation beyond repute Pebbles has a reputation beyond repute

I agree and disagree. It's kind of unfair because the tie-break can really ruin the momentum a player has built up.
Pebbles is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote