Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 3 - Page 336 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2011, 09:58 AM   #5026
country flag angliru

angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 3

I fully agree with Carofan and terjw on this issue. There were some predictions at the beginning of the year that Caro would fold or crumble under the pressure of being #1, especially when she lost 1 and 0 against Zvonareva at the Hong Kong exhibition, and lost again in her first match in Sydney (vs. Cibulkova). But she did a very good Australian Open - in fact two rounds better than ever before! I really don't think being #1 has harmed her results in any way. She didn't play very well though - but she rarely does in January.

Anyway, whoever has the #1 ranking deserves it! Tennis players always wants to win every match (although some are more important than others), and ranking points are rewarded accordingly...
angliru is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 12th, 2011, 11:34 AM   #5027
country flag Burisleif

Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by angliru View Post
There were some predictions at the beginning of the year that Caro would fold or crumble under the pressure of being #1, especially when she lost 1 and 0 against Zvonareva at the Hong Kong exhibition, and lost again in her first match in Sydney (vs. Cibulkova)...
Media predictions? Muppet predictions? or qualified predictions?
Burisleif is offline View My Blog!  
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 11:43 AM   #5028
country flag Burisleif

Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezone View Post
As far as her racket goes, it takes time to know what a racket can do and what it can't. It's a process as is the learning process in tennis. Perhaps some of her serving problems can be attributed to her comfort level with the racket. It takes longer than a month or so to really develop that comfort level.

Imagine every pro we watch would have hit one million tennis balls in practice (according to studies) before they become a pro.

Verdasco switched to Dunlap and it was only around now that I noticed he's a lot more comfortable with his frame. He's no longer looking at his racket after a shot which he was doing at the AO. He made his change long before Caroline did and looked great against Milo at the SAP Open.
I think most were expecting a slow start due to game changes, let alone racquet changes... As you point out changes take time. So far she seems to be doing better than expected. Hopefully she can stay injury free and peak by June.
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 11:55 AM   #5029
country flag JadeFox

JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burisleif View Post
Media predictions? Muppet predictions? or qualified predictions?
I think this is a case of media predictions along with some hoping that she will crumble under the pressure.

Truth be told she didn't crumble under the pressure really. She managed to make the semis of the Australian Open without playing her best tennis. If she can stay injury free and improve from now on, then she can win a major. I just got that gut feeling.

When Daylight's fading,We're gonna play in the dark
Till it's golden again
JadeFox is offline View My Blog!  
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 12:05 PM   #5030
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by angliru View Post
I fully agree with Carofan and terjw on this issue. There were some predictions at the beginning of the year that Caro would fold or crumble under the pressure of being #1, especially when she lost 1 and 0 against Zvonareva at the Hong Kong exhibition, and lost again in her first match in Sydney (vs. Cibulkova). But she did a very good Australian Open - in fact two rounds better than ever before! I really don't think being #1 has harmed her results in any way. She didn't play very well though - but she rarely does in January.

Anyway, whoever has the #1 ranking deserves it! Tennis players always wants to win every match (although some are more important than others), and ranking points are rewarded accordingly...
For me this is a very encouraging sign. As a fan I am no doubt biased but I think any objective analysis would come to the conclusion that Caroline was not playing her best tennis at the Australian Open and even so she came within a whisker of making the final. If she can keep improving as the season goes on she should have some chances to win some big titles and maybe even a slam. I really want Caroline to do well and ultimately win some slams but for right now I will be happy if she shows steady improvement. So far this season she is doing better than she did last year and if that continues I will consider this year a success whether she wins a slam or not.

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!  
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 02:47 PM   #5031
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

The Dubai draw is out. Here's Caro's quarter:

1 Caro
Bye
Anna Chakvetadze
Daniela Hantuchova
Akgul Amanmuradova
WC Sania Mirza
Qualifier
13 Petra Kvitova

9 Shahar Peer
Maria Jose Martinez Sanchez
Alexandra Dulgheru
Elena Baltacha
Yanina Wickmayer
WC Bojana Jovanovski
Bye
5 Li Na

Last edited by Protoss : Feb 12th, 2011 at 02:55 PM.
Protoss is online now View My Blog!  
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 03:45 PM   #5032
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed,I agree with you posters who say that it bodes well for Caro that she reached a GS semi despite not playing her best(though I'm still slightly annoyed with how she lost there)...the fact that she was able to do so is a good testimony to her inner character,I'd say........Wanna warn you guys,though,in case you haven't ever read my sig...that I'm naturally drawn to erratic,unreliable players...so I hope that I don't somehow 'curse' Caro into devolving into that sort of player

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Fare thee well, Li
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 04:43 PM   #5033
country flag Jorn
Good Luck Caro in 2014!

Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute

Very tough Dubai Draw for Caro.

Dani beat VeraZ, and Kvitova in Paris Finals... and Li Na waits

Caroline Wozniacki Result page
Caroline Wozniacki tennis Forums
Jorn is offline View My Blog!  
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 05:03 PM   #5034
country flag Ryan
NeverWoz

Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute

WOW, tough draw. Potential in form player to start, and then I can't really see her getting past Kvitova.
Ryan is offline View My Blog!  
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 05:35 PM   #5035
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

I actually like this draw. Yes, it could be very tough but Caroline is certainly capable of defeating all of her potential opponents and as the number one seed she should be confident. If she plays and beats Kvitova, Li and Stosur/Jankovic (although with their current form it seems unlikely Sam or Jelena will make it to the semis) to get to the final no one can credibly accuse her of having an easy draw.

Caroline may not be number one anymore but she is still a top five player and she really needs to start consistently beating players like Kvitova and Li. I think she can and will do it in Dubai.

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!  
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 08:43 PM   #5036
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
I actually like this draw. Yes, it could be very tough but Caroline is certainly capable of defeating all of her potential opponents and as the number one seed she should be confident. If she plays and beats Kvitova, Li and Stosur/Jankovic (although with their current form it seems unlikely Sam or Jelena will make it to the semis) to get to the final no one can credibly accuse her of having an easy draw.

Caroline may not be number one anymore but she is still a top five player and she really needs to start consistently beating players like Kvitova and Li. I think she can and will do it in Dubai.
Totally agree. If you are in the top - you can't be scared of these draws. OK - she's not at her best. But she made the AO SF and you need to welcome them as a chance to play other players at the top.

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters
terjw is offline View My Blog!  
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 09:28 PM   #5037
country flag Burisleif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
WOW, tough draw. Potential in form player to start, and then I can't really see her getting past Kvitova.
Caro easily beat Petra Last time they met...
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 09:34 PM   #5038
country flag Blu€

Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute

Petra is playing better now, she's had some good results. Anyway last time they met no one gave Caro a chance and she won in straights. I think it will depend on whether Petra is tired and if Caro is not having a "Sydney" day, hitting short balls to the middle of the court.
All that said, first they have to win their 1st/2nd round matches!

···♥♥Wozniacki♥♥···

♪♫♪♫In a sky full of stars I think I saw you ♪♫♪♫
Blu€ is offline View My Blog!  
Old Feb 13th, 2011, 04:20 AM   #5039
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Caro is 3-0 vs. Chaky and 2-0 vs. Dani...and the lovely Slovak isn't known for consistency so the fact that she made the Pattaya final is no indicator,IMO,of how she'll do in Dubai...though Caro could beat her regardless

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Fare thee well, Li
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Old Feb 13th, 2011, 10:21 AM   #5040
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezone View Post
Knowing that she is no longer No. 1 should benefit her. Imagine at every press conference she is asked how do you feel about being No. 1 and not having won a slam.

It's always easier to chase other than having everyone chasing you at least that is what McEnroe and others have said about being No. 1. I wouldn't want a player taking over No. 1 until I knew they were ready to keep it for a while.

You can not worry what you can't control which is what others think. She is trying to develop a stronger forehand and serve and perhaps improve on her patterns. I felt had she stayed with the inside out pattern on both side which she did a few times in the first set she might have won her semifinal match. By running inside out patterns, Li Na was off balance. But Woz stopped doing so late in the second set and tried to outslug Na.

I remember Hingis taking everyball at Serena in one of the GS and leading 6-4, 4-1. At that point, Hingis started running Serena into the corners and eventually lost. Serena is great on the run so you need to take angles away from her and go into the body more.

forget about the press. Smile, crack a joke and move on. Caroline should start a foundation and discuss what that foundation does. The press will leave her alone. Agassi has his charter school. Here is a guy who wore fake hair. Does the press make fun of that today. No way. They see him as someone who does great work for various charities and his school. Deflect.
I think you're confusing Serena with Capriati. Martina never won a set 6-4 against Serena at a slam and was never up a set and a break at a slam against Serena (I think). Martina was up 6-4 4-0 in the Australian Open final against Capriati though and the less said about what happened after that the better.

Maybe it's just me but it kind of feels like Caro has barely played this year.
Protoss is online now View My Blog!  
Closed Thread