Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 3 - Page 335 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2011, 12:30 PM   #5011
country flag FormerlyKnownAs
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

FormerlyKnownAs has a brilliant future FormerlyKnownAs has a brilliant future FormerlyKnownAs has a brilliant future FormerlyKnownAs has a brilliant future FormerlyKnownAs has a brilliant future FormerlyKnownAs has a brilliant future FormerlyKnownAs has a brilliant future FormerlyKnownAs has a brilliant future FormerlyKnownAs has a brilliant future FormerlyKnownAs has a brilliant future FormerlyKnownAs has a brilliant future
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. W. Fields View Post
Personally I like the fact this forum isn't overflowing with people. As it is I can actually overcome to read almost all the posts in this thread and I can also get an impression of the posters' personalities. If there was a thousand people posting here they'd flow together in my mind.
And luckily, up to now this forum is mostly about her tennis.

Maybe thats what keeps some of the Maygbe Fanished or Newgbe Startrucked away.

Hopefully it will be General Messages, ExtraBladet and Se og Hør, that continues to take care of the boyfriend/clothes things. :cheer2:

By the way, interesting match coming up at 19:30 CET today between Clijsters and Docic, either way the the Caroline Crusher Crew will be out in full force predicting an immediate or near future slide into oblivion for Team Wozniacki.

Last edited by FormerlyKnownAs : Feb 11th, 2011 at 12:48 PM.
FormerlyKnownAs is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 11th, 2011, 04:20 PM   #5012
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by angliru View Post
Just an observation, as I've recently rewatched some of Caro's matches at AO: One thing I've noticed - probably mentioned by others as well - is her 2nd serves. She's definetely serving faster and with more risk. She hit aces on her 2nd serve on some occasions, for instance vs. Cibulkova (1st set, 4-4) and Schiavone (1st set, 1-2), and blasted several other service winners. She also made more DF's than usual - not only because of sloppiness, but also because she was obviously going for the ace on her 2nd serve! I'm not sure what I think of this? Sometimes it's perhaps better to serve safely and just put the ball in play. But what do I know? Maybe the opponent would be blasting return winners every now and then. The majority of her opponents at AO were certainly going for the winner on every opportunity!
Well so far going for more on her 2nd serve doesn't seem to be working well. Caro's winning only 45.5% on her 2nd serve so far this season compared to 48.5+% the past two seasons.
Protoss is online now View My Blog!  
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 05:20 PM   #5013
country flag ezone

ezone is a name known to all ezone is a name known to all ezone is a name known to all ezone is a name known to all ezone is a name known to all ezone is a name known to all ezone is a name known to all ezone is a name known to all ezone is a name known to all ezone is a name known to all ezone is a name known to all

The process of making small changes in your game--either adding more power--like she has been trying to do on her ground strokes takes time. There will be breakdowns during the course of the year. It take a good year to change muscle memory.

Given the state of women's tennis today, Caroline appears to be in a good position. We don't know when Serena will be back and Kim is on her way out. As the year goes on, Kim will begin to feel more pressure since she knows this will be her last time here and there.

At least there appears to be stability in her camp. Just look at Ivanovic. Is it poor planning on her part. She did well with Heinz but he didn't have the time for her. At least her next coach should have continued on his plan and course of action.

She fired him midweek in a tournament. I'm wondering if she's not the easiest person to deal with. I started following Woz when she signed with Yonex. I'm still trying to get a read of her. Remember what people say and what they do are sometimes totally different.

I was surprised by her press conference and concerns that she was boring. As I said in other forums Pete Sampras and Steffi Graf were boring. Who cares ! Your objective is to win Grand Slams. If winning Grand Slams is boring than too bad.
ezone is offline View My Blog!  
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 05:25 PM   #5014
country flag ezone

ezone is a name known to all ezone is a name known to all ezone is a name known to all ezone is a name known to all ezone is a name known to all ezone is a name known to all ezone is a name known to all ezone is a name known to all ezone is a name known to all ezone is a name known to all ezone is a name known to all

As far as her racket goes, it takes time to know what a racket can do and what it can't. It's a process as is the learning process in tennis. Perhaps some of her serving problems can be attributed to her comfort level with the racket. It takes longer than a month or so to really develop that comfort level.

Imagine every pro we watch would have hit one million tennis balls in practice (according to studies) before they become a pro.

Verdasco switched to Dunlap and it was only around now that I noticed he's a lot more comfortable with his frame. He's no longer looking at his racket after a shot which he was doing at the AO. He made his change long before Caroline did and looked great against Milo at the SAP Open.
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 05:34 PM   #5015
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe the fact that Caro doesn't STRIVE to be considered a glamour girl allows us to focus more on her tennis...despite her obvious beauty

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

How many wins do you need to distinguish yourself as a WTA Rising Star--as opposed to a mediocre, Treading Water Star?
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 08:55 PM   #5016
country flag GAWOZFAN

GAWOZFAN is a name known to all GAWOZFAN is a name known to all GAWOZFAN is a name known to all GAWOZFAN is a name known to all GAWOZFAN is a name known to all GAWOZFAN is a name known to all GAWOZFAN is a name known to all GAWOZFAN is a name known to all GAWOZFAN is a name known to all GAWOZFAN is a name known to all GAWOZFAN is a name known to all

Now that Caroline will give up the #1 ranking (at least for one week anyway), do you think the pressure will ease up a bit or will it actually become worse? I know she has said she doesn't feel the pressure and deserves to be where she it at, I'm talking about pressure from outside sources.

I think that Caro is in a no-win situation right now with the whole ranking issue. If she goes out next week and has a great run in Dubai and regains that #1 ranking, the questions come back if she is deserving of the #1 ranking without a Grand Slam. If she plays poorly this week and the next few tournaments (months), then she is written off as one of those "fluke" #1's that only got there because she won a bunch of smaller tournaments without the big names. I see this as an interesting time for her and I can't wait to see how she responds to this on the court.

As far as the questions she will continue to get...I hope the press has gotten use to her being "boring" because I can pretty much name those 5 questions she will be getting for a long time to come.
GAWOZFAN is offline View My Blog!  
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 09:15 PM   #5017
country flag ezone

Knowing that she is no longer No. 1 should benefit her. Imagine at every press conference she is asked how do you feel about being No. 1 and not having won a slam.

It's always easier to chase other than having everyone chasing you at least that is what McEnroe and others have said about being No. 1. I wouldn't want a player taking over No. 1 until I knew they were ready to keep it for a while.

You can not worry what you can't control which is what others think. She is trying to develop a stronger forehand and serve and perhaps improve on her patterns. I felt had she stayed with the inside out pattern on both side which she did a few times in the first set she might have won her semifinal match. By running inside out patterns, Li Na was off balance. But Woz stopped doing so late in the second set and tried to outslug Na.

I remember Hingis taking everyball at Serena in one of the GS and leading 6-4, 4-1. At that point, Hingis started running Serena into the corners and eventually lost. Serena is great on the run so you need to take angles away from her and go into the body more.

forget about the press. Smile, crack a joke and move on. Caroline should start a foundation and discuss what that foundation does. The press will leave her alone. Agassi has his charter school. Here is a guy who wore fake hair. Does the press make fun of that today. No way. They see him as someone who does great work for various charities and his school. Deflect.
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 09:55 PM   #5018
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute

Congratz to Kim for getting the #1 ranking from Caro. Very well deserved. These two favourites of mine are light years ahead of the #4 and over 1000 points ahead of Vera at #3 in the rankings. I obviously want Caro to take that #1 ranking it back because it means she will have done well in Dubai. I wonder if she'll get a chance at playing Venus.

Edit: Oops Just seen Venus withdrawn.

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters

Last edited by terjw : Feb 11th, 2011 at 11:34 PM.
terjw is offline View My Blog!  
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 10:21 PM   #5019
country flag Ryan
NeverWoz

Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute

Not worried about her being #2. She's got less pressure, less "spotlight" on her, and its still well within her grasp. I'd honestly rather her win RG than ever get to #1 again - she's been there, isn't the shortest period of time at #1, so lets go for the first Slam!

Her clay game aint the best, but the field is so open who knows.
Ryan is offline View My Blog!  
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 11:42 PM   #5020
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

I don't especially care if Caroline gets the number one ranking back but I suspect that if she doesn't do it in the next few weeks that Kim will hold on to it for a good long while. Of course if Caroline wins a slam, particularly the French Open or Wimbledon, that may be enough to send her back to number one and it would eliminate the argument that she doesn't deserve it because she hasn't won a slam.

As far as Caroline's chances for a win at Roland Garros I think she has a decent shot at it. Unlike Wimbledon she will be playing a few clay tournaments leading up to the French Open so she should have ample time to acclimate herself to the surface and there are usually lots of upsets there so she could have a wide open field. Also, she was likely hampered somewhat last year by her ankle injury and she still made it as far as the quarterfinals, assuming she is healthy she should do as well or better this year.

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!  
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 04:32 AM   #5021
country flag Carofan
The Great Mrs Sunshine

Carofan has much to be proud of Carofan has much to be proud of Carofan has much to be proud of Carofan has much to be proud of Carofan has much to be proud of Carofan has much to be proud of Carofan has much to be proud of Carofan has much to be proud of Carofan has much to be proud of Carofan has much to be proud of Carofan has much to be proud of

I don`t see any problem being ranked number one, I want Caro to get it back asap. Its all of you who are scared - not Caro.
Carofan is offline View My Blog!  
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 04:55 AM   #5022
country flag GAWOZFAN

GAWOZFAN is a name known to all GAWOZFAN is a name known to all GAWOZFAN is a name known to all GAWOZFAN is a name known to all GAWOZFAN is a name known to all GAWOZFAN is a name known to all GAWOZFAN is a name known to all GAWOZFAN is a name known to all GAWOZFAN is a name known to all GAWOZFAN is a name known to all GAWOZFAN is a name known to all

I don't know if any of us are "scared" about Caro being (or not being) ranked #1, I know I'm not. I think we're all wanting the same thing for her, a Grand Slam title as soon as she possibly can.
GAWOZFAN is offline View My Blog!  
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 05:02 AM   #5023
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah,I'm not "scared",either....I'd rather that she didn't have it if it'll cause her to struggle but,even if that happens,she'll find her way eventually....Two of my faves did much,MUCH worse as #1 than Caro did

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

How many wins do you need to distinguish yourself as a WTA Rising Star--as opposed to a mediocre, Treading Water Star?
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 06:30 AM   #5024
country flag Carofan
The Great Mrs Sunshine

Carofan has much to be proud of Carofan has much to be proud of Carofan has much to be proud of Carofan has much to be proud of Carofan has much to be proud of Carofan has much to be proud of Carofan has much to be proud of Carofan has much to be proud of Carofan has much to be proud of Carofan has much to be proud of Carofan has much to be proud of

If your worst problem are questions about being ranked number one without a slam, then I think many starving or homeless people living under a bridge would be happy to trade with you.

Caro was in the final at WTA Championships and the Semi`s at Australian Open, she has been a great world number one, only Kim has been better. If Kim does not keep her form, Caro is there to take back what is hers.
Carofan is offline View My Blog!  
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 09:44 AM   #5025
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carofan View Post
If your worst problem are questions about being ranked number one without a slam, then I think many starving or homeless people living under a bridge would be happy to trade with you.

Caro was in the final at WTA Championships and the Semi`s at Australian Open, she has been a great world number one, only Kim has been better. If Kim does not keep her form, Caro is there to take back what is hers.
My thoughts exactly. Just to say that on the #1 - I am 100% with the way Caro thinks about it. I don't think about it per se. I just want her to win - and if she does - that is reflected in the rankings. If she gets to #1 again - that's great. And I certainly don't have this wanting her to stay at #2 to avoid the pressure attitude at all. Winning is what matters. Obviously a slam more than anything else. But I like that Caro won titles last year and I want her to win titles this year. She is equal 6th amongst active players with the most titles. Only the Williams, Kim, Masha and Sveta have more. And Sveta is only one title ahead.

One more thing on #1. I did actually think of Kim as the #1 player before she got it. Doesn't detract from Caro having it. But I think this is one of those times when the rankings lag behind what nearly everyone thinks.

Oh and one other thing about this idea of winning a slam to shut everyone up. It won't. The idea that anything will shut her detractors up is for the fairies. It'll be weak draw, weak era bla bla bla. Kim is getting this hypocrisy right now (hypocrisy because it doesn't apply when their favourite wins). And this weak era hypocrisy never applies to the poster's favourites where it's woulda, coulda etc. and their favourite can only beat who they play.

Caro said something like this a year ago. I can never win. If I do - it's lucky draw, or not beaten some player yet, or ....... I've learned not to listen. She's dead right.

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters
terjw is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread