Player of The Year - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 8th, 2009, 03:01 AM   #1
country flag Donny

Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute
Player of The Year

Is it safe to assume we already know who it's going to be? Or is is there still a chance than a red hot run by a player during the Summer HC season/indoor leg of the tour might put them in the running?
Donny is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 8th, 2009, 03:09 AM   #2
country flag woosey

woosey has a reputation beyond repute woosey has a reputation beyond repute woosey has a reputation beyond repute woosey has a reputation beyond repute woosey has a reputation beyond repute woosey has a reputation beyond repute woosey has a reputation beyond repute woosey has a reputation beyond repute woosey has a reputation beyond repute woosey has a reputation beyond repute woosey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Player of The Year

well, if you go by the whole consistency but not slams argument, dinara might be player of the year.

if you believe it's important to win your sport's most coveted prizes, then obviously serena.

is this like a trick question?
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 03:15 AM   #3
country flag Donny

Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by woosey View Post
well, if you go by the whole consistency but not slams argument, dinara might be player of the year.

if you believe it's important to win your sport's most coveted prizes, then obviously serena.

Well, considering what happened last year, anything's possible.
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 03:20 AM   #4
country flag Ken Lee

Ken Lee is just really nice Ken Lee is just really nice Ken Lee is just really nice Ken Lee is just really nice Ken Lee is just really nice Ken Lee is just really nice Ken Lee is just really nice Ken Lee is just really nice Ken Lee is just really nice Ken Lee is just really nice Ken Lee is just really nice

Is this even a question?
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 03:22 AM   #5
country flag Donny

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenaRulz4Life View Post
Is this even a question?
Well, Serena did win half (at least) of the majors this year, but she did fail to claim the coveted titles in Rome and Madrid. So it's a toss up, in my opinion.
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 03:26 AM   #6
country flag Kworb
Most Loved Member

Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute

We don't know yet. What if Safina is undefeated the second half of the year? And Serena loses to Sloane Stephens in the first round of the US Open?

SERENA WILLIAMS 64 75 AGNIESZKA RADWANSKA 61 57 60
LAUREN DAVIS 60 76 CAMILA GIORGI 46 63 75 BOJANA JOVANOVSKI 63 36 75
VENUS WILLIAMS 64 76 AGNIESZKA RADWANSKA 62 62
Kworb is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 03:27 AM   #7
country flag OsloErik

OsloErik has a reputation beyond repute OsloErik has a reputation beyond repute OsloErik has a reputation beyond repute OsloErik has a reputation beyond repute OsloErik has a reputation beyond repute OsloErik has a reputation beyond repute OsloErik has a reputation beyond repute OsloErik has a reputation beyond repute OsloErik has a reputation beyond repute OsloErik has a reputation beyond repute OsloErik has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnydarko View Post
Is it safe to assume we already know who it's going to be? Or is is there still a chance than a red hot run by a player during the Summer HC season/indoor leg of the tour might put them in the running?
Well, that's assuming Kuznetsova doesn't win the US Open and a host of other events. And Safina isn't entirely out of the hunt; she wins the US Open and Serena doesn't do so hot, her W-F-F-SF looks awfully good when coupled with her other slate of titles. But obviously Serena is looking pretty good right now. Once the US Open is over, we'll know if anyone has a chance. Serena wins the US, it's locked in, no matter what.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnydarko View Post
Well, considering what happened last year, anything's possible.
What happened last year? Jankovic won in a year four different women won slams and she was the world #1. That's a completely different scenario. THey didn't neglect a multiple slam champion for a slam finalist. Serena's already produced a better season, slamwise, than anyone last year. The only way someone could justify a different champion would be if Safina wins the US Open and Serena doesn't have another title (unlikely), or if Kuznetsova wins the US Open and finishes with more titles on the year than Serena (possible).
OsloErik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 03:35 AM   #8
country flag Donny

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsloErik View Post
Well, that's assuming Kuznetsova doesn't win the US Open and a host of other events. And Safina isn't entirely out of the hunt; she wins the US Open and Serena doesn't do so hot, her W-F-F-SF looks awfully good when coupled with her other slate of titles. But obviously Serena is looking pretty good right now. Once the US Open is over, we'll know if anyone has a chance. Serena wins the US, it's locked in, no matter what.
This is the only reasonable scenario is which I could see Serena not winning Player of The Year. But it's very unlikely, imo. Kuzzie's breaking her atrocious finals slump by winning to GS titles in the same calendar year would leave me stunned. She has the game to do it, but she's *always* had the game to do it, and never delivered.

Quote:
What happened last year? Jankovic won in a year four different women won slams and she was the world #1. That's a completely different scenario. THey didn't neglect a multiple slam champion for a slam finalist. Serena's already produced a better season, slamwise, than anyone last year. The only way someone could justify a different champion would be if Safina wins the US Open and Serena doesn't have another title (unlikely), or if Kuznetsova wins the US Open and finishes with more titles on the year than Serena (possible).
Jelena didn't have a better year than any of the slam winners. If their benchmark for POTY is consistency, fine, but I was under the impression that it was awarded to the *best player...
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 03:47 AM   #9
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Nice post OsloErik

If Safina or Dementireva won the US Open she might be a candidate in my view. Then it might come down to the YEC.

For now it's Rena babe as #1.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 03:56 AM   #10
country flag spiritedenergy

spiritedenergy has a reputation beyond repute spiritedenergy has a reputation beyond repute spiritedenergy has a reputation beyond repute spiritedenergy has a reputation beyond repute spiritedenergy has a reputation beyond repute spiritedenergy has a reputation beyond repute spiritedenergy has a reputation beyond repute spiritedenergy has a reputation beyond repute spiritedenergy has a reputation beyond repute spiritedenergy has a reputation beyond repute spiritedenergy has a reputation beyond repute

If Kuztesova wins US Open and YEC, then her. If Safina wins US Open and YEC, she might be...

If none of the 2 scenarios happen, then Serena.
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 04:57 AM   #11
Volcana

Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute

You may recall that Martina Hingis was Player of the Year in 2000, despite not winning a slam.

I don't think the tennis establishment has the animus toward Serena that it did toward Venus in 2000, but you never know. If you can win Wimbledon, the US Open and the Olympic singles and doubles gold medals, and a player who doesn't win a slam sinds up Player of the Year, then anything's possible.

Last edited by Volcana : Jul 9th, 2009 at 01:54 AM.
Volcana is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 04:57 AM   #12
country flag Mynarco
INAZUMA

Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute

We can start this discussion after YEC is done

Suicide: 08 Montreal 08 Stuttgart 09 USO 11 Eastbourne Stanford 13 Sydney Highest ranked #03
Tennis Tipping: 09 Cincy D 10 Brisbane D Copenhagen SD 11 Palermo D Beijing S 12 Pattaya S Stuttgart Baku D 13 Palermo D 14 Monterrey D(SCHR: 17 DCHR: 10)
Mynarco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 05:00 AM   #13
country flag Donny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrono View Post
We can start this discussion after YEC is done
Or I can start it now.

Thank you EVER so much for this ray of brilliance, however.
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 05:02 AM   #14
country flag debopero

debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I am going rebuke this a bit. I do not believe Dinara has been the most consistent. She did not win a title until May and her win over Venus was the thing that catapulted her. Yes, she has made two Grand Slam finals, but whom exactly did she beat to get there?? Post-Australia, she was actually having an abysmal year in reality. Serena has the same amount of titles and they are both Grand Slams.
debopero is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 05:56 AM   #15
country flag kiwifan

kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute

Clearly it has to be Safina, she's ranked #1.

I was there when the ALL BLACKS won the World Cup in 2011!!!

"I don't know that I changed all that much. They just found somebody worse." - Aging tennis bad boy Jimmy Connors, referring to John McEnroe, in 1984.

There can never be too many "Sister Slams!"
kiwifan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote