WTA Rankings: Biggest jumper / highest debut? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 6th, 2009, 05:19 PM   #1
country flag Lachrymarum
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Lachrymarum has a reputation beyond repute Lachrymarum has a reputation beyond repute Lachrymarum has a reputation beyond repute Lachrymarum has a reputation beyond repute Lachrymarum has a reputation beyond repute Lachrymarum has a reputation beyond repute Lachrymarum has a reputation beyond repute Lachrymarum has a reputation beyond repute Lachrymarum has a reputation beyond repute Lachrymarum has a reputation beyond repute Lachrymarum has a reputation beyond repute
WTA Rankings: Biggest jumper / highest debut?

Was looking through this week's new WTA rankings and I was curious to see if anyone knew certain ranking questions:

1. What's some of the biggest jumps you've seen in the rankings?
2. Who has one of the highest (if not the highest) debuts/re-entries on the WTA rankings after 3 events? I know that Mirjana Lucic had quite the ranking debut back in the day...

I'm a bit of a stats geek so I'll appreciate any information people can provide
Mattek-Sands...Halep...Hsieh
Lachrymarum is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 6th, 2009, 10:12 PM   #2
country flag njnetswill

njnetswill has a reputation beyond repute njnetswill has a reputation beyond repute njnetswill has a reputation beyond repute njnetswill has a reputation beyond repute njnetswill has a reputation beyond repute njnetswill has a reputation beyond repute njnetswill has a reputation beyond repute njnetswill has a reputation beyond repute njnetswill has a reputation beyond repute njnetswill has a reputation beyond repute njnetswill has a reputation beyond repute
Re: WTA Rankings: Biggest jumper / highest debut?

I would imagine Hingis had some pretty jumps in the rankings when she made her comeback. Also perhaps Clijsters when she made her comeback from injury and won the IW/Miami double?
njnetswill is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 09:13 PM   #3
country flag watchdogfish
Vide cor meum

watchdogfish has a reputation beyond repute watchdogfish has a reputation beyond repute watchdogfish has a reputation beyond repute watchdogfish has a reputation beyond repute watchdogfish has a reputation beyond repute watchdogfish has a reputation beyond repute watchdogfish has a reputation beyond repute watchdogfish has a reputation beyond repute watchdogfish has a reputation beyond repute watchdogfish has a reputation beyond repute watchdogfish has a reputation beyond repute

Best Ranking Debuts:

1. Andrea Jaeger No.19 (Feb 1980)
2. Tracy Austin No.21 (Jul 1977)
2. Renee Richards No.21 (Oct 1977)
4. Pam Shriver No.24 (Apr 1978)
5. Jennifer Capriati No.25 (Apr 1990)
6. Kathy Jordan No.28 (Jan 1979)
7. Zina Garrison No.29 (Jul 1982)
7. Andrea Leand No.29 (Feb 1982)
9. Anne Smith No.32 (Mar 1978)

I'm not sure that's what your looking for though because it used be something like you had to play 6 tournaments before you got a ranking.
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 02:43 PM   #4
country flag vesubio

vesubio is a glorious beacon of light vesubio is a glorious beacon of light vesubio is a glorious beacon of light vesubio is a glorious beacon of light vesubio is a glorious beacon of light vesubio is a glorious beacon of light vesubio is a glorious beacon of light vesubio is a glorious beacon of light vesubio is a glorious beacon of light vesubio is a glorious beacon of light vesubio is a glorious beacon of light

Kimiko Date (JPN) jump from Nº112 to 32 when she defeat Gabi Sabatini to arrives to Los Angeles final in 1991.
vesubio is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 03:02 PM   #5
country flag vesubio

vesubio is a glorious beacon of light vesubio is a glorious beacon of light vesubio is a glorious beacon of light vesubio is a glorious beacon of light vesubio is a glorious beacon of light vesubio is a glorious beacon of light vesubio is a glorious beacon of light vesubio is a glorious beacon of light vesubio is a glorious beacon of light vesubio is a glorious beacon of light vesubio is a glorious beacon of light

Clarisa Fernández (ARG) jump from Nº 87 to Nº 35 befor she went to SF in Roland Garros in 2002.
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 03:40 PM   #6
country flag vesubio

I couldn't found the ranking of Angelica Gavaldon (MEX) who arrives to QF in Australian Open in 1990 in her GS debut with 16 years old.
In 1995 she plays the qualy from Australian Open and came to QF once more.
I don't know the ranking befor and after but I think the jump were really big!
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 05:00 PM   #7
country flag joe87

joe87 has a reputation beyond repute joe87 has a reputation beyond repute joe87 has a reputation beyond repute joe87 has a reputation beyond repute joe87 has a reputation beyond repute joe87 has a reputation beyond repute joe87 has a reputation beyond repute joe87 has a reputation beyond repute joe87 has a reputation beyond repute joe87 has a reputation beyond repute joe87 has a reputation beyond repute

Highest debuts in last years have been:

Michelle Larcher de Brito #363 (Sept 24, 2007)
Tamira Paszek #366 (Oct 31, 2005)
Suicide Tennis: Rank: #22 Highest: #2
Titles: 2007 Bad Gastein, 2008 US Open, 2009 Sydney, Miami, YEC Doha 2010 Dubai, Budapest, Prague 2011 Brussels 2013 Strasbourg
Tennis Tipping: Rank: #36 Highest: #1 Doubles: Rank: #42 Highest: #1
Titles S: 2009 ITF Dubai 2010 Bad Gastein, Tashkent 2011 Sydney, ITF Nassau, ITF Alphen, Seoul 2012 ITF Civitavecchia, Wimbledon, Carlsbad
Titles D: 2009 5x ITF 2010 Fes, Rome, Tokyo, YEC Doha 2011 ITF Monzon, Baku, Seoul 2012 Paris, Taipei, ITF Pune 2013 4x ITF, Charleston, Nürnberg 2014 ITF Alphen, Tashkent
joe87 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 08:28 PM   #8
country flag Derevko

Derevko has much to be proud of Derevko has much to be proud of Derevko has much to be proud of Derevko has much to be proud of Derevko has much to be proud of Derevko has much to be proud of Derevko has much to be proud of Derevko has much to be proud of Derevko has much to be proud of Derevko has much to be proud of Derevko has much to be proud of

The biggest jumper I think is Alexandra Dulgheru in the Warsaw week. I remember a jump of 150/200 position, is it true?
Sharapova - Tanasugarn - K. Bondarenko - Kirilenko - Losertadze - Kleybanova - Rezai - Oprandi - Wozniacki
TT: W Roland Garros (Slam, 14), W Palermo (Int, 09), W Karshi (Itf, 14), SF Toronto (Pre5, 09), R16 Us Open (Slam, 09) - Best Ranking: 61 (21/06/10)
Derevko is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 01:12 AM   #9
country flag spiceboy

spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by njnetswill View Post
Also perhaps Clijsters when she made her comeback from injury and won the IW/Miami double?
That one is absolutely the most impressive one. No doubt about it.

She entered (and won) Indian Wells as #133 in March and by October she would play (and win) Hasselt as world #2 already

Amazing is an adjective that falls short here
spiceboy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 12:20 PM   #10
country flag Just Do It

Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute

Dokic jumped over 100 places after AO 09. From 180 to 80.
Just Do It is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 07:17 PM   #11
country flag Meelis
Team WTAworld

Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derevko View Post
The biggest jumper I think is Alexandra Dulgheru in the Warsaw week. I remember a jump of 150/200 position, is it true?
118 places (from 201st to 83rd)
Meelis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 08:43 AM   #12
country flag AdeyC
TT BOARD MEMBER

AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixilatedPenguin View Post
Best Ranking Debuts:

I'm not sure that's what your looking for though because it used be something like you had to play 6 tournaments before you got a ranking.

Didn't Sue Barker debut at 24?

Titles (6) - 2012 - New Haven, SF - WIMBLEDON, 2013 - Beijing, Member of Winning GB Fed Cup Team, 2014 - Brisbane, Dubai, Stuttgart, Rome
Doubles - (Rank : 1) (High : 1)
Titles - (13) (w/tennisbuddy12) 2010 - Bad Gastein, (w/Tuckii) 2013 - ITF Bertioga, (w/mateusz2904) - 2010 - Bogota, ITF -Karuizawa, ITF - Montpellier, 2011 - Bogota, Birmingham, ITF - Poitiers, ITF - Bratislava, 2012 - ITF - Opole, 2013 - Bad Gastein, 2014 - WIMBLEDON, Bad Gastein
AdeyC is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 08:44 AM   #13
country flag AdeyC
TT BOARD MEMBER

AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixilatedPenguin View Post
Best Ranking Debuts:

Didn't Sue Barker debut at 24?

Titles (6) - 2012 - New Haven, SF - WIMBLEDON, 2013 - Beijing, Member of Winning GB Fed Cup Team, 2014 - Brisbane, Dubai, Stuttgart, Rome
Doubles - (Rank : 1) (High : 1)
Titles - (13) (w/tennisbuddy12) 2010 - Bad Gastein, (w/Tuckii) 2013 - ITF Bertioga, (w/mateusz2904) - 2010 - Bogota, ITF -Karuizawa, ITF - Montpellier, 2011 - Bogota, Birmingham, ITF - Poitiers, ITF - Bratislava, 2012 - ITF - Opole, 2013 - Bad Gastein, 2014 - WIMBLEDON, Bad Gastein
AdeyC is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 11:41 PM   #14
country flag fouc

fouc has a reputation beyond repute fouc has a reputation beyond repute fouc has a reputation beyond repute fouc has a reputation beyond repute fouc has a reputation beyond repute fouc has a reputation beyond repute fouc has a reputation beyond repute fouc has a reputation beyond repute fouc has a reputation beyond repute fouc has a reputation beyond repute fouc has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vesubio View Post
I couldn't found the ranking of Angelica Gavaldon (MEX) who arrives to QF in Australian Open in 1990 in her GS debut with 16 years old.
In 1995 she plays the qualy from Australian Open and came to QF once more.
I don't know the ranking befor and after but I think the jump were really big!
yeah and then she starred in a video for my favorite Lenny Kravitz's song 'If I could fall in love'

fouc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2009, 05:38 PM   #15
Michael.
days are gone

Michael. has disabled reputation

clijsters was very impressive !

SHUAI ZHANG («) STEFANIE VÖGELE
peng / niculescu / pliskova / hantuchova / li
vesnina / makarova / hsieh / pliskova / cirstea
Michael. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote