NCAA rules - explanations - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 4th, 2010, 09:19 PM   #31
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all
Ivy League scholarships

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboyle View Post

At Harvard, for example, you pay nothing if you earn less than 100k per year, and then 10% of your income if you earn between 100k and 250k. They do not count your assets. Over that and you pay in full (unless you have lots of kids or special circumstances). All financial aid is in grants, not loans. Princeton is pretty similar. The other schools are somewhat less generous, but still offer tons of aid. It is pretty standard to expect no parental contribution if your family makes less than 60k or 80k per year.

Then again, at Duke, which offers comparable financial aid, the average student's parents make over 350k per year...yeah don't even get me started about how pissed off it makes me...(overall something like 90% of Ivy League students come from the top quintile of earners, as I remember from sociology class...)
mboyle talks about Harvard scholarships.
gouci is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 13th, 2010, 08:29 PM   #32
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all
NCAA Eligibility Center

The NCAA Eligibility Center (formerly the NCAA Initial Eligibility Clearinghouse) is a branch of the NCAA that determines a student's initial eligibility for athletics participation in his or her first year of college enrollment. Students who want to participate in college sports during their first year of enrollment in college must register with the Eligibility Center. Located in Indianapolis, Indians, the Eligibility Center staff follows NCAA legislation in analyzing and processing a student's high school academic records, ACT or SAT scores, and key information about amateurism participation, to determine the student's initial eligibility.

What Does A Prospective Student-Athlete Need to Do Before He/She Can Make an Official Visit?

1. Register with the Eligibility Center by completing the online Student Release Form.

2. Pay the registration fee.

3. Make sure the prospective student-athlete has taken the ACT, SAT or PSAT test.

4. Make sure all test scores and high school transcripts are sent directly to the Eligibility Center and the college the prospect is interested in visiting immediately after the student's junior year of high school.
Old May 28th, 2010, 07:09 AM   #33
country flag gouci

NCAA individual draw seedings

T2000 talks about NCAA individual draw seedings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2000 View Post
Seeding thoughts, Friend at Court explains it this way.

Placing is prohibited. Placing occurs, for example, when the Com-
mittee in a 16-draw tournament seeds four and “places” four. The
practice of placing is an attempt to hide the fact that in reality eight players have been seeded instead of the permissible maximum of four. The rule of “one in three” was established to provide some matches between strong players in the first round, to increase the variety of a player’s opponents, and to get away from the “strong weak-strong-weak” pattern in the draw, thereby giving players who
are usually first-round losers an occasional opportunity to meet each other and advance to the second or third round.
Old Jun 8th, 2010, 07:45 PM   #34
country flag gouci

Official visits

Amalgamate, a top 25 nationally ranked junior tennis player, offers some insight to official visits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalgamate View Post

Bottom line: I do not think official visits should be allowed during junior year. I appreciate that they are regulated to senior year only. I don't believe that student-athletes should engage in the college process any earlier than other students. A lot happens maturity wise throughout high school. And let's be honest, official visits consist of coaches and players doing their best to woo the recruit. I.e. The players try to "show the recruit a good time." Parties, alcohol, (as much trouble as they could get into, I've never known a girl to take an official visit and not be taken to a party of some sort and be offered alcohol.) free stuff etc. I'd much rather have a senior -- who I believe has a better sense of who they are as a person, are less impressionable, and has a better idea of what they want out of college in terms of academics and socially -- take these visits than juniors. They have had more time to ruminate over these decisions and I think they have a better head on their shoulders. I see no reason to rush the recruiting process (other than coaches trying to secure players as early as possible).
Old Nov 30th, 2010, 06:45 AM   #35
country flag gouci

Conference realignment

Moving from WAC to Mountain West

Boise St. - in 2011-12

Fresno St. - in 2012-13

Nevada - in 2012-13

Hawaii - football only in 2012-13 (in works not official yet)

Hawaii - all other Hawaii sports moving from WAC to Big West in 2012-13

new Mountain West for 2012-13

1. Air Force
2. Colorado St.
3. New Mexico
4. San Diego St.
5. UNLV
6. Wyoming

7. Boise St.
8. Fresno St.
9. Nevada
10. Hawaii (football only)

old Mountain West for 2010-11

7. BYU - football independent & WCC 2011-12
8. Utah - Pac 10 2011-12
9. TCU - Big East 2012-13

Last edited by gouci : Nov 30th, 2010 at 07:59 AM.
Old Nov 30th, 2010, 07:00 AM   #36
country flag gouci

Re: Conference realignment

Moving to WAC in 2012-13

Texas San Antonio - leaving Southland Conference

Texas St. - leaving Southland Conference

Denver - non football member, leaving Sun Belt Conference

new WAC for 2012-13

1. Idaho
2. Louisiana Tech
3. New Mexico St.
4. San Jose St.
5. Utah St.

6. Texas San Antonio
7. Texas St.
8. Denver (non football)

old WAC for 2010-11

6. Boise St. - to MWC 2011-12
7. Fresno St. - to MWC 2012-13
8. Nevada - to MWC 2012-13
9. Hawaii - to MWC football & Big West 2012-13

Last edited by gouci : Nov 30th, 2010 at 07:23 AM.
Old Nov 30th, 2010, 07:00 AM   #37
country flag gouci

Moving to Pac 12

Utah - in 2011-12, leaving Mountain West

Colorado - in 2012-13, leaving Big 12

Pac 12 for 2012-13

South Division
1. UCLA
2. USC
3. Arizona
4. Arizona St.
5. Utah
6. Colorado

North Division
1. Stanford
2. Cal
3. Washington
4. Washington St.
5. Oregon
6. Oregon St.

Ex. In football UCLA & USC will play all South division teams plus Stanford & Cal every year. UCLA & USC will alternate playing the Washington & Oregon schools every other year.

The Pac-12 will only have divisions in football. Every other sport will simply use one big division, with different setups for how the conference schedule will shake out.
Old Nov 30th, 2010, 07:55 AM   #38
country flag gouci

Others transferring conferences

Nebraska - to Big Ten 2011-12, leaving Big 12

BYU - football independent & WCC 2011-12, leaving MWC

TCU - to Big East 2012-13, leaving MWC

Seattle - to Great West Conf. for w. tennis 2010-11, was independent

Utah Valley St. - supposed to start W. tennis 2010-11 but change of plans
Old Dec 16th, 2010, 03:13 AM   #39
country flag gouci

California residency status

Quote:
Originally Posted by form View Post
Update: Learned today that changes in the state of CA system now requires as many as FOUR years to change your residency status as in state.

So the UC's and CSU's in California bringing in out of state kids must pay DOUBLE tuition cost for out of state kids their entire four years.

Probably explains why the UCLA football team is now all CA kids rather than recruiting from around the country... though obviously the UCLA tennis team does not have that same issue.
Form gives an update on CA residency rules.
Old Mar 21st, 2011, 12:30 AM   #40
country flag gouci

NCAA lifts ban on moving up divisions

The NCAA has lifted the ban on moving up in Divisions effective June 1, 2011. However a schools move up must be sponsored by a conference. Schools can no longer jump to Division 1 as an independent but will have to be accepted by a Division 1 conference 1st.

Transferring Conferences

Southern Utah - to Big Sky 2012-13, leaving Summit League

Jumping to Division 1

Nebraska Omaha - to Summit League 2011-12, moving up from Division 2

UNO plans to move to Div. 1

UC San Diego - petitioning to join the Big West Conference and move up from Division 2

UCSD request upgrade to Div. 1
UCSD May compete in Div. 1 by 2013

Last edited by gouci : Jan 1st, 2012 at 06:54 AM.
Old Apr 8th, 2011, 12:15 AM   #41
country flag gouci

Number of Allowed Match Dates

Form talks about the number of allowed match dates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by form View Post
8 fall tournies (if you play more than four players in the tourney than the tourney counts as one team match date but each tourney entered counts as one of the 25 max individual dates per player for the participating players)

plus

24 spring dual match dates

Teams are allowed 25 dates (dual matches or tournies with more than 4 entries).
Players are allowed 25 dates (dual matches or tournies they played)

So it appears most of the team was already scheduled to play 28-29 match dates?

No player can play more than 25 'dates' no matter the combo. So you schedule 28-29 per player? This rule has been around for more than 20 years.

WOW... that (Arizona coach) is about as bad a schedule management as I've ever seen in any sport anywhere. Who bumped their head?
Old Jun 15th, 2011, 06:48 AM   #42
country flag gouci

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouci View Post

Moving to WAC in 2012-13

Texas San Antonio - leaving Southland Conference

Texas St. - leaving Southland Conference

Denver - non football member, leaving Sun Belt Conference
Seattle - non football member, was an Independent

new WAC for 2012-13

1. Idaho
2. Louisiana Tech
3. New Mexico St.
4. San Jose St.
5. Utah St.

6. Texas San Antonio
7. Texas St.
8. Denver (non football)
9. Seattle (non football)

old WAC for 2010-11

6. Boise St. - to MWC 2011-12
7. Fresno St. - to MWC 2012-13
8. Nevada - to MWC 2012-13
9. Hawaii - to MWC football & Big West 2012-13

Seattle moving to the WAC beginning 2012-13.
Old Aug 13th, 2011, 11:22 AM   #43
country flag gouci

Academic Progress Rate (APR)

Increase in academic cutline approved

By Dana O'Neil
Associated Press

University presidents and athletic administrators promised swift and serious action after their two-day NCAA retreat.

On Thursday, they delivered their first hammer.

Following up on the retreat's mandate to toughen academic standards, the NCAA Board of Directors voted to ban Division I teams with a four-year academic progress rate (APR) below 930 from participating in the postseason, including all NCAA tournaments and football bowl games.

It's a significant change from the APR structure now in place. Currently, teams with a four-year APR of 925 or below face penalties like loss of scholarships. Only if a team falls below a 900 and is therefore considered a chronic under-performer will it face "historical penalties" including postseason bans.

Now the NCAA will do away with the 900 cutoff, forcing all teams to raise their academic standards or sit on the sidelines in the postseason. Under the new standards, 12 teams would not have qualified for this year's NCAA tournament, including Ohio State and Syracuse.

"A 930 equates to a 50 percent graduation rate and that is the stake in the ground that the presidents wish to put in as an overall goal for every team in Division I," said Dr. Walt Harrison, president of the University of Hartford who serves as the chair of the Division I committee on academic performance. "It's a clear marker. We believe a 50 percent graduation rate is a reasonable goal for all teams."

The final kinks still need to be worked out, but NCAA president Mark Emmert said he expects a formalized plan to be in place by October. Between now and then Harrison and his committee will look at the particulars, including a timetable for implementing the new structure. Because it is a considerable leap, Harrison said there likely will be a three- to five-year phase-in period, allowing schools to "ratchet up" their academics.

Also under discussion is just when the new numbers would be released. Currently, the NCAA releases its annual APR report in May -- a month after the NCAA tournament ends.

Connecticut, with an APR of 930 in May 2010, was eligible to compete and win a national championship. But as of May 2011, the Huskies' APR dropped to 893. If the new mandate was in place, UConn would not be able to defend its title.

But Harrison said that the different academic calendars -- some schools use quarters while others go by semesters -- would make it difficult to have more than one report released.

"As things currently stand, (the spring scores) would determine the next year's postseason eligibility," Harrison said.

One thing that does seem likely to change is the appeal process.

As in there won't be one.

Currently, teams that fall below a 900 can receive a waiver rather than postseason ban in extenuating circumstances -- if, for example, the school has shown marked improvement or the president has shown active involvement in improving his struggling team's academic performance.

"I don't think there will be too much leverage there," Harrison said. "If there is any appeal, I think it will be pretty tightly defined and there might not be any."

U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan had previously called for the NCAA to ban basketball teams with graduation rates below 40 percent from competing in the NCAA tournament. He issued a statement approving of the changes.

"I applaud the NCAA's decision and encourage them to proceed with due speed," Duncan said. "When we joined this conversation two years ago, many experts were skeptical that the NCAA would ever move to deal with the the problem of low graduation rates among a small minority of tournament teams. But they were wrong. College presidents have acted courageously and are leading the way."

NCAA statistics show athletes graduate at a higher rate that non-athletes and academic performance has steadily improved among all sports The most recent numbers, released in May, showed the overall average score for athletes jumped three points to 970. Two of the lower scoring sports -- baseball (959) and men's basketball (945) -- had a five-point jump over the previous year. Another low-scoring sport, football (946), had a two-point jump.

The rule change will likely go down like a dose of castor oil in college hoops circles. Since it was implemented, the APR long has been a sticking point among college basketball coaches who argue it punishes teams unfairly when players leave early for the NBA.

Two years ago, Syracuse lost two scholarships after Eric Devendorf, Jonny Flynn and Paul Harris opted to leave for the NBA without completing their spring coursework.

"It's flawed," Jim Boeheim said at the time about the APR system. "There is absolutely nothing a coach can do if a kid wants to leave and train for the NBA. If he was leaving and walking the streets, I'd understand. When those kids left, they were eligible. They opted not to finish."

But academic administrators and NCAA officials don't want to hear it. They counter that the APR allows for a student to leave early provided he or she leaves in good academic standing.

And more, they believe that the APR goes to the core of what the NCAA is about.

"This is about making sure student-athletes are students," Emmert said. "There is an expectation that they behave accordingly."

The list of penalized teams has skewed disproportionately toward historically black colleges and universities.

This year, the NCAA graded 340 schools. Twenty-four, or about 7 percent, were HBCUs. Yet of the 58 harshest penalties handed out, half went to teams in the two conferences, the Southwestern Athletic and the Mid-Eastern Athletic, comprised entirely of HBCUs. Four teams in those leagues were banned from NCAA tourneys because of their poor academic performance, and football teams at Southern and Jackson State were even banned from playing in the SWAC title game.

If the new rules were in place last year, Alcorn State would have been the only school in the SWAC eligible for the postseason.

Now, everybody is expected to hit an even higher mark to remain eligible for postseason tourneys.

"From a SWAC standpoint, we have to look at what we're doing and definitely get our house in order. But I think our chancellors are working hard to get that done," commissioner Duer Sharp said. "The NCAA realizes not everyone has the same resources and they've been receptive to our challenges."

Some coaches think it's the right move, though.

"I think it's everybody's responsibility to go to school and get an education," Alabama football coach Nick Saban said. "That's part of our program here. I don't really see it being a big issue that players are held accountable relative to what their responsibility is to get an education."

In other action Thursday, the board:

• Agreed to do away with the single-year APR scores and will only use the four-year rolling average to determine postseason eligibility.

• Agreed to continue providing funding for low-resource schools to help the academic performance of athletes and look at new ways to help those schools.

• Decided to take another look at improving the standards for incoming freshmen and junior college transfers in October.

• Agreed to consider including family members among the definition of third-party influences, a definition that also includes agents.
Old Oct 28th, 2011, 02:20 PM   #44
country flag gouci

Re: Academic Progress Rate (APR)

The NCAA made the new APR requirement official and provided the implementation timeline.

Under the new standard, teams will have to qualify for the postseason with a four-year average Academic Progress Rate score of 930 or better, which equates to graduating about half the players on a given roster.

Implementation will start in 2012-13, when teams must achieve a 900 multiyear score or average 930 for the most recent two years. In 2014-15, teams must reach 930 or average 940 for the previous two years.

After that, the 930 mark is fully implemented, and NCAA officials warned that it will be waived only in extraordinary circumstances.

In addition, the new, tougher entrance requirements could force some incoming freshmen to spend their first year in college as an "academic redshirt," under scholarship and practicing with their teams but not allowed to compete.
Old Oct 28th, 2011, 02:24 PM   #45
country flag gouci

$2,000 athletic scholarship increase

The NCAA board adopted a much-anticipated proposal that will allow universities to boost their athletic scholarships by as much as $2,000 to cover the full cost of attendance.

Proponents of the scholarship increase see it as a way to help student-athletes, many of whom are asked to train year-round and cannot work to pay for miscellaneous expenses or even food once their season ends and they no longer get training table meals.

Each conference will be free to vote on whether to adopt the proposal. Critics argue that any increase in spending favors larger, wealthier conferences and exacerbates the so-called arms race.

"The NCAA, apparently, is not concerned about that," said Robert Kustra, president of Boise State.