Christian/Santamaria not in US Open MD? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 26th, 2013, 04:37 AM   #1
country flag knoxt

knoxt has much to be proud of knoxt has much to be proud of knoxt has much to be proud of knoxt has much to be proud of knoxt has much to be proud of knoxt has much to be proud of knoxt has much to be proud of knoxt has much to be proud of knoxt has much to be proud of knoxt has much to be proud of knoxt has much to be proud of
Christian/Santamaria not in US Open MD?

I thought that because they won the NCAA title, they would automatically be entered into the US Open MD? I don't see their names...
knoxt is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 26th, 2013, 04:39 AM   #2
country flag tucker1989

tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Christian/Santamaria not in US Open MD?

They forgot to apply for a wildcard with the USTA...
tucker1989 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2013, 06:23 AM   #3
country flag tie_breaker

tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxt View Post
I thought that because they won the NCAA title, they would automatically be entered into the US Open MD? I don't see their names...
So did they...but due to politics, they were snubbed. Probably because they went to USC. I think it is a different story if they went to Stanford. I bet Gibbsy didn't apply and she got a headline on ESPN.

I think they're 3rd on the stand-by list...
tie_breaker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2013, 06:13 PM   #4
country flag CTSEMT

CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all

I actually don't think the USTA did it intentionally, seems like incompetence more than anything. Anyhow, the did come through with WCs to the mixed and have reportedly guaranteed KK/Sabs a doubles WC for the 2014 USO.

Mixed WCs are:
1. Kaitlyn Christian/Dennis Novikov
2. Victoria Duval/Donald Young
3. Martina Hingis/Mahesh Bhupathi
4. Megan Moulton-Levy/Eric Butorac
5. Melanie Oudin/Austin Krajicek
6. Sabrina Santamaria/Jarmere Jenkins
7. Yasmin Schnack/Eric Roberson (US Open National Playoffs Winner)
8. Sloane Stephens/Jack Sock
CTSEMT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2013, 07:19 PM   #5
country flag tucker1989

tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute

Classy gesture from the USTA to give them mixed wild cards and the alleged guarantee. Sabrina/Jarmere will be fun to watch!
tucker1989 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2013, 10:04 PM   #6
country flag fantic

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

No major news outlet reporting on this? Thought they would feast on it..don't they love scandals?

TENNIS: Campbell Hall graduate Sabrina Santamaria, USC teammate Kaitlyn Christian snubbed from U.S. Open wild-card berth

Posted on August 24, 2013 by Erik Boal

"Despite winning USC’s first NCAA women’s doubles title May 27, when the wild cards were released for the U.S. Open women’s tennis doubles draw, Campbell Hall graduate Sabrina Santamaria (above left) and former Orange Lutheran standout Kaitlyn Christian were not among them.

Santamaria and Christian were never informed by USTA officials they needed to apply for a wild card — and therefore didn’t — and the absence of their application wasn’t noticed by anyone involved with USTA Player Development during the selection process.

“Really at a loss for words right now,” Santamaria posted Saturday on Twitter.

“Watching (your) dream get crushed right before your eyes … and there is nothing (you) can do about it.”

Santamaria and Christian — who now sit third on the waiting list to earn a berth in the main draw — reached the quarterfinals July 13 of the World University Games in Kazan, losing 6-4, 6-3 to Russia’s Elena Vesnina and Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova, the tournament’s gold medalists. Vesnina is ranked No. 4 in the world and Pavlyuchenkova is 29th in doubles.

As a consolation, the USTA is attempting to give Santamaria and Christian wild-card entries into the mixed doubles draw. The U.S. Open starts Monday in New York."
"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
Nil admirari (never enthuse over things).
- Horace, Epistles
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2013, 11:16 PM   #7
country flag tie_breaker

tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold

Aside from Zoo Tennis, no major news outlets.
I'm sure the word got around, but who wants to lose their press credentials and VIP passes? Not gonna happen
Old Aug 26th, 2013, 11:42 PM   #8
country flag slickshoes510

slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light

That's horrible they got left out.

My question is who was responsible for applying for the wildcard. Was it the players themselves, USC, the Pac-12, the NCAA?
slickshoes510 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2013, 12:29 AM   #9
country flag tie_breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickshoes510 View Post
That's horrible they got left out.

My question is who was responsible for applying for the wildcard. Was it the players themselves, USC, the Pac-12, the NCAA?
IMHO, I think since they still attend USC, I feel that USC should have been watching their backs and make sure they get the paperwork in to the US Open or USTA.
After all, Sabs and KK were busy with University Games and they barely got back, so you'd think that one of the coaches or administration staff, should have looked out for them.
Maybe it's a bad sign to attend USC...

I don't know what the role of the Pac-12 or NCAA but when you have just 4 NCAA champions, 2 singles (M & W) and 2 doubles (M & W), it's not alot to ask to follow-up and make sure they get the automatic W/C for being the NCAA champs.

Funny how Gibbsy's W/C reached ESPN headlines:
http://espn.go.com/tennis/usopen13/s...arns-wild-card

That was posted on 08/14. I wonder why nobody wondered why the doubles champion's name wasn't announced? Was it because they went to USC and not Stanford?
Old Aug 27th, 2013, 06:22 AM   #10
country flag tennisbuddy12
College Tennis/Team USA expert

tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute

WC guaranteed for 2014 and 2 mixed WC for this year. KK with Novikov and Sabs with Jenkins. Nice of USTA to try and fix the mess they created, but it's not going to replace the fact they earned a WC for this year.

tennisbuddy12 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2013, 07:51 AM   #11
country flag fantic

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker1989 View Post
They forgot to apply for a wildcard with the USTA...
I don't get it, it seems too fantastic. I mean, they were literally practicing at NYC??! How can they do that, how can they even fly there without a confirmation? Hell we're taught to confirm important transactions at every stage when we begin to work for a living. We confirm flight schedule after we book a flight. How can they even practice there without the 'assurance' of the USTA? Something just doesn't feels right

Either way, it's just the worst year for USC and its fans, probably. Really don't care about USO, just looking forward to All American.
"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles

Last edited by fantic : Aug 27th, 2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old Aug 27th, 2013, 02:51 PM   #12
country flag fantic

Now even if we chalk this up to USC 's inexperience, how can we explain USTA's criminal negligence? If they didn't inform USC right away after the NCAA win, they had months to do so. This is not some 19th century?! This is bordering on surreal!
What are the news media doing on this juicy subject? NYT? Is zootennis the only credible one out there doing the job?
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles
Old Aug 27th, 2013, 03:59 PM   #13
country flag tie_breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantic View Post
I don't get it, it seems too fantastic. I mean, they were literally practicing at NYC??! How can they do that, how can they even fly there without a confirmation? Hell we're taught to confirm important transactions at every stage when we begin to work for a living. We confirm flight schedule after we book a flight. How can they even practice there without the 'assurance' of the USTA? Something just doesn't feels right

Either way, it's just the worst year for USC and its fans, probably. Really don't care about USO, just looking forward to All American.
I think if you dig deeper to find the answers, yeah you can blame Sabs & KK for not getting confirmation, but what if they had reassurance from someone at USC that it was automatic W/C.
I doubt you'll ever hear them point fingers at the Trojan camp.
Ultimately, I don't think anybody thought this was going to happen, not in a million years, neither Sabs, KK or Trojan camp.

I have to point the blame at USTA, USO for not covering their basis to ensure that ALL of the NCAA champions get their W/C as deserved. I got to believe that the other W/C were bigger names than Sabs and KK. It's business. Sell tickets. Ooops those girls didn't apply, let's bring in Hingis.
Old Aug 27th, 2013, 04:43 PM   #14
country flag form

form has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tie_breaker View Post
I think if you dig deeper to find the answers, yeah you can blame Sabs & KK for not getting confirmation, but what if they had reassurance from someone at USC that it was automatic W/C.
I doubt you'll ever hear them point fingers at the Trojan camp.
Ultimately, I don't think anybody thought this was going to happen, not in a million years, neither Sabs, KK or Trojan camp.

I have to point the blame at USTA, USO for not covering their basis to ensure that ALL of the NCAA champions get their W/C as deserved. I got to believe that the other W/C were bigger names than Sabs and KK. It's business. Sell tickets. Ooops those girls didn't apply, let's bring in Hingis.
Wow... unreal how bad this is.

Having once worked in D1, I can tell that communication is easy with email. SOMEONE dropped the ball. I would be fairly confident that someone did goof.... likely didn't read an email.

USTA communicates to ITA
ITA communicates to USC women's coach (ITA never communicates directly with players).
USC women's coach communicates to the two players

I have a good idea where this pooch got screwed beyond all belief.... and if I was the girls I would be beyond livid. Win all 3 collegiate majors but more importantly who is to say you EVER get a chance to play in a major again? Ever? Because someone FAILED to do their job and get info to the players (both of whom are on record talking with excitement about going to US Open). Whomever ultimatley blew this should be chopped... even if it is 'just' tennis.

It's professional negligence and really screwed two deserving ladies.

But I shall keep my hunch to myself... if they were taking bets in Vegas I'd place a wager though.

PATHETIC MISTAKE... funny how the men got the message on what to do but not the women. Hmmmmmmm

PS to FANTIC: USC's inexperience? .... they've been sending men for years who've qualified in similar fashion I believe.

Last edited by form : Aug 27th, 2013 at 04:53 PM.
form is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2013, 07:00 PM   #15
country flag fantic

USC 'women.' I dunno the last time they won NCAA
It's really incredible that no one at USTA noticed this. Are they overstuffed or understaffed? And this is USA , not some 3rd world country

Because of this colossal bungling of epic proportions, likely two teams were snubbed to make way for KK and Sabs in Mixed...great.

I do hope the media at least do its job and get to the bottom of this surreal drama.

And tiebreaker, my guess is that USTA panicked when Taylor did not win the dbls at the Natl and had a creative brainstorming session Pairing with a Card was just the icing of the cake!
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles

Last edited by fantic : Aug 27th, 2013 at 07:05 PM.