Time for Venus to join the legends? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 12:50 AM   #1
country flag Marcell

Marcell has a reputation beyond repute Marcell has a reputation beyond repute Marcell has a reputation beyond repute Marcell has a reputation beyond repute Marcell has a reputation beyond repute Marcell has a reputation beyond repute Marcell has a reputation beyond repute Marcell has a reputation beyond repute Marcell has a reputation beyond repute Marcell has a reputation beyond repute Marcell has a reputation beyond repute
Time for Venus to join the legends?

HUGH MacDONALD, Chief Sportswriter

There is an irritable grumble that hums beneath the grunts and groans that so mark the women's game today.

The on-court bellows of some players have provided a talking point in the lead-up to this year's championship. But the real issue is the standard of competition, not the level of noise.

The lack of in-depth quality in the women's field has led to an understandable whine that states that the championship has become a family affair and that the Williams sisters face rivals who can could not summon up a meaningful challenge if they all congregated on the other side of the net from the American siblings.

That harsh verdict is underlined by statistics. The new century has witnessed Venus Williams win five Wimbledon titles (2000, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008) and Serena Williams take two (2002, 2003). The only other champions this century are Amelie Mauresmo and Maria Sharapova. Mauresmo's day has surely come and gone.

Sharapova is recovering from injury and believes Wimbledon has come too soon in her recovery process.

The rest make an unconvincing case for victory in SW19. Dinara Safina, world No.1, has proved brittle under pressure, Ana Ivanovic has regressed, and the Eastern European invasion always seem to prove stronger in numbers than in threat.

The Williams sisters, thus, have proved to be lightning rods for the criticism of the women's game. They should be held up as exemplars of it.

They can hardly be blamed for the failings of others. They should be commended for their prowess, their longevity and on their extraordinary journey to the top of women's tennis.

These, after all, are stars who came straight outta Compton. They have broken the barriers of race and class while bringing an awesome physicality to women's tennis. They can bludgeon opponents but they can also finesse them. But they stand accused of being bullies when they should be assessed as a phenomenon.

Venus, too, stands on the brink of becoming not just a regular, great champion but a Wimbledon legend.

The modern history of the women's game at the All- England Club has been dominated by Martina Navratilova, Steffi Graf and Billie-Jean King. They won nine, seven and six singles titles respectively. Venus is one championship victory away from equalling King.

Such a triumph at Wimbledon 2009 would put the current champion in the pantheon. Venus is enthused by the prospect. "It's great to be a part of history," she said when asked about her chances of equalling Martina, Steffi or Billie-Jean. "But I already am."

The additional statement is revealing. Both Williams sisters have a sense of their worth. It is an admirable quality but one that seems to be misunderstood by some observers. Venus also said of Navratilova yesterday: "She had a great achievement.

I have my own great achievements."

This testifies to Williams's appreciation of her career.

But answers to other inquiries suggest that underappreciation by some parts of the media and wilful misunderstanding by others have conspired to make her defensive.

For example, asked why Wimbledon was her best grand slam event, the champion answered: "Why not?" There have also been mutterings about the Williams sisters coming to Wimbledon under-prepared and this has produced some clipped answers from both over the weekend.

But what marks the sisters out as contenders for the title is their unashamed belligerence on court.

"You're rewarded for playing aggressively," Venus said of Wimbledon and that's definitely how I play so I have a lot of rewards."

Sharapova had earlier been more precise. "She has a very big game, a very powerful and steady game. Her serve is a big weapon."

This shot is crucial in tennis, of course. And devastating in its effect for Venus. Tall and lean, Venus produces a serve that is simply too much for her opponents. Her speed across the ground and her technical ability provide her with chances to break serve. It is a simple combination that provides results.

Serena goes even further when talking about her sister.

"I think she has proven to be the best grass court player in our generation," she said. This statement may be obvious but it comes from the strongest pretender to Venus's throne.

The Williams sisters provided the final pairing last year and there is no reason to suggest that Wimbleodn 2009 will not witness an action replay. There may be some alarums along the way. Both have a propensity for finding trouble in early rounds.

Anything, too, can happen in a grand slam tournament.

But what tends to happen at Wimbledon in the 21st century is that the name Williams is inscribed on the salver.

Venus has just turned 29 and Serena will be 28 in September. Both are not contemplating retirement.

Venus spoke enthusiastically yesterday of carrying on until the London Olympics of 2012 at least.

This is not the best of news for the current crop of women contenders, though the imminent return of Kim Clijsters might, just might pose a threat to the family affair that dominates Wimbledon.

But both Williams are determined to rack up more victories no matter who plays against them. They have watched them come and go.

"We're still here and we are going nowhere," said Venus yesterday. "I don't see anything changing for a while."

http://www.theherald.co.uk/sport/hea...he_legends.php
Marcell is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 01:07 AM   #2
country flag Monica_Rules

Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Time for Venus to join the legends?

Nice article, i enjoyed that.

I watched highlights of the 2005 final on BBCi yesterday and it was just phenominal what Venus came up with in the end.

Naomi Broady, Tara Moore, Heather Watson , Laura Robson

Johanna Konta, Eleanor Dean
, Sam Murray
Katy Dunne Katie Boulter
Monica_Rules is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 01:07 AM   #3
country flag Paneru

Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute

Great article!

Knowing your own worth makes all the difference.
Paneru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 01:09 AM   #4
country flag Tennisstar86

Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute

Venus is already a "legend" at wimbledon and IMO winning her 6th wont really change her status among them.... Winning her 7th would be the difference...

Serena Williams

Sharapova

Hantuchova
Tennisstar86 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 01:13 AM   #5
country flag In The Zone
it's serena, bitch.

In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisstar86 View Post
Venus is already a "legend" at wimbledon and IMO winning her 6th wont really change her status among them.... Winning her 7th would be the difference...
Definitely but she has got to win #6 first.
In The Zone is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 01:14 AM   #6
Golovinjured.

Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute

He goes on about the lack of depth in womens tennis, basically calling it weak - and anyone who's not weak is injured or on the decline.

Then he writes about how they should be hailed as legends? It just seems weird because she won most of her Wimbledons during this weak era. Legendary?

I think she is worthy of being a Wimbledon legend, but he just contradicts himself.
Golovinjured. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 01:18 AM   #7
country flag Tennisstar86

Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golovinjured. View Post
He goes on about the lack of depth in womens tennis, basically calling it weak - and anyone who's not weak is injured or on the decline.

Then he writes about how they should be hailed as legends? It just seems weird because she won most of her Wimbledons during this weak era. Legendary?

I think she is worthy of being a Wimbledon legend, but he just contradicts himself.
I also thoguht the article was very strange, the "weak" era bit didnt seem to fit into his legend talk at all....

Serena Williams

Sharapova

Hantuchova
Tennisstar86 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 01:35 AM   #8
country flag Ciarán

Ciarán has a reputation beyond repute Ciarán has a reputation beyond repute Ciarán has a reputation beyond repute Ciarán has a reputation beyond repute Ciarán has a reputation beyond repute Ciarán has a reputation beyond repute Ciarán has a reputation beyond repute Ciarán has a reputation beyond repute Ciarán has a reputation beyond repute Ciarán has a reputation beyond repute Ciarán has a reputation beyond repute

Venus already is a legend of the game and will never be forgotten.

Paszek & Chakvetadze & Vaidisova & Sharapova & Pavlyuchenkova & Vekic.
Ciarán is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 01:38 AM   #9
country flag mckyle.

mckyle. has a reputation beyond repute mckyle. has a reputation beyond repute mckyle. has a reputation beyond repute mckyle. has a reputation beyond repute mckyle. has a reputation beyond repute mckyle. has a reputation beyond repute mckyle. has a reputation beyond repute mckyle. has a reputation beyond repute mckyle. has a reputation beyond repute mckyle. has a reputation beyond repute mckyle. has a reputation beyond repute

LOL I thought the title meant the Legends Tour that plays at every grand slam
mckyle. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 06:19 AM   #10
country flag gmokb

gmokb has a brilliant future gmokb has a brilliant future gmokb has a brilliant future gmokb has a brilliant future gmokb has a brilliant future gmokb has a brilliant future gmokb has a brilliant future gmokb has a brilliant future gmokb has a brilliant future gmokb has a brilliant future gmokb has a brilliant future

Nice read. Glad to see someone knowing and acknowledging the value of the WS.
gmokb is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 01:37 PM   #11
country flag vwfan

vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute

Venus.
vwfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 02:30 PM   #12
tennnisfannn

tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute

what is to like abotu this article, first it starts by demeasning women's tennis, almost moaning that venus/serena have won the bulk of wimby title this century and then flatly deny their rivalry.
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 02:48 PM   #13
country flag DemWilliamsGulls

DemWilliamsGulls has a reputation beyond repute DemWilliamsGulls has a reputation beyond repute DemWilliamsGulls has a reputation beyond repute DemWilliamsGulls has a reputation beyond repute DemWilliamsGulls has a reputation beyond repute DemWilliamsGulls has a reputation beyond repute DemWilliamsGulls has a reputation beyond repute DemWilliamsGulls has a reputation beyond repute DemWilliamsGulls has a reputation beyond repute DemWilliamsGulls has a reputation beyond repute DemWilliamsGulls has a reputation beyond repute

Baby Venus is already a legend..
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 02:55 PM   #14
country flag mykarma

mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcell View Post

HUGH MacDONALD, Chief Sportswriter

There is an irritable grumble that hums beneath the grunts and groans that so mark the women's game today.

The on-court bellows of some players have provided a talking point in the lead-up to this year's championship. But the real issue is the standard of competition, not the level of noise.

The lack of in-depth quality in the women's field has led to an understandable whine that states that the championship has become a family affair and that the Williams sisters face rivals who can could not summon up a meaningful challenge if they all congregated on the other side of the net from the American siblings.

That harsh verdict is underlined by statistics. The new century has witnessed Venus Williams win five Wimbledon titles (2000, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008) and Serena Williams take two (2002, 2003). The only other champions this century are Amelie Mauresmo and Maria Sharapova. Mauresmo's day has surely come and gone.

Sharapova is recovering from injury and believes Wimbledon has come too soon in her recovery process.

The rest make an unconvincing case for victory in SW19. Dinara Safina, world No.1, has proved brittle under pressure, Ana Ivanovic has regressed, and the Eastern European invasion always seem to prove stronger in numbers than in threat.

The Williams sisters, thus, have proved to be lightning rods for the criticism of the women's game. They should be held up as exemplars of it.

They can hardly be blamed for the failings of others. They should be commended for their prowess, their longevity and on their extraordinary journey to the top of women's tennis.

These, after all, are stars who came straight outta Compton. They have broken the barriers of race and class while bringing an awesome physicality to women's tennis. They can bludgeon opponents but they can also finesse them. But they stand accused of being bullies when they should be assessed as a phenomenon.

Venus, too, stands on the brink of becoming not just a regular, great champion but a Wimbledon legend.

The modern history of the women's game at the All- England Club has been dominated by Martina Navratilova, Steffi Graf and Billie-Jean King. They won nine, seven and six singles titles respectively. Venus is one championship victory away from equalling King.

Such a triumph at Wimbledon 2009 would put the current champion in the pantheon. Venus is enthused by the prospect. "It's great to be a part of history," she said when asked about her chances of equalling Martina, Steffi or Billie-Jean. "But I already am."

The additional statement is revealing. Both Williams sisters have a sense of their worth. It is an admirable quality but one that seems to be misunderstood by some observers. Venus also said of Navratilova yesterday: "She had a great achievement.

I have my own great achievements."

This testifies to Williams's appreciation of her career.

But answers to other inquiries suggest that underappreciation by some parts of the media and wilful misunderstanding by others have conspired to make her defensive.

For example, asked why Wimbledon was her best grand slam event, the champion answered: "Why not?" There have also been mutterings about the Williams sisters coming to Wimbledon under-prepared and this has produced some clipped answers from both over the weekend.

But what marks the sisters out as contenders for the title is their unashamed belligerence on court.

"You're rewarded for playing aggressively," Venus said of Wimbledon and that's definitely how I play so I have a lot of rewards."

Sharapova had earlier been more precise. "She has a very big game, a very powerful and steady game. Her serve is a big weapon."

This shot is crucial in tennis, of course. And devastating in its effect for Venus. Tall and lean, Venus produces a serve that is simply too much for her opponents. Her speed across the ground and her technical ability provide her with chances to break serve. It is a simple combination that provides results.

Serena goes even further when talking about her sister.

"I think she has proven to be the best grass court player in our generation," she said. This statement may be obvious but it comes from the strongest pretender to Venus's throne.

The Williams sisters provided the final pairing last year and there is no reason to suggest that Wimbleodn 2009 will not witness an action replay. There may be some alarums along the way. Both have a propensity for finding trouble in early rounds.

Anything, too, can happen in a grand slam tournament.

But what tends to happen at Wimbledon in the 21st century is that the name Williams is inscribed on the salver.

Venus has just turned 29 and Serena will be 28 in September. Both are not contemplating retirement.

Venus spoke enthusiastically yesterday of carrying on until the London Olympics of 2012 at least.

This is not the best of news for the current crop of women contenders, though the imminent return of Kim Clijsters might, just might pose a threat to the family affair that dominates Wimbledon.

But both Williams are determined to rack up more victories no matter who plays against them. They have watched them come and go.

"We're still here and we are going nowhere," said Venus yesterday. "I don't see anything changing for a while."

http://www.theherald.co.uk/sport/hea...he_legends.php
Before you speak to me about your religion, first show it to me in how you treat other people; before you tell me how much you love your God, show me in how much you love all His children; before you preach to me of your passion for your faith, teach me about it through your compassion for your neighbors. In the end, I'm not as interested in what you have to tell or sell as in how you choose to live and give.

Cory Booker
mykarma is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 02:56 PM   #15
country flag SAEKeithSerena

SAEKeithSerena has a reputation beyond repute SAEKeithSerena has a reputation beyond repute SAEKeithSerena has a reputation beyond repute SAEKeithSerena has a reputation beyond repute SAEKeithSerena has a reputation beyond repute SAEKeithSerena has a reputation beyond repute SAEKeithSerena has a reputation beyond repute SAEKeithSerena has a reputation beyond repute SAEKeithSerena has a reputation beyond repute SAEKeithSerena has a reputation beyond repute SAEKeithSerena has a reputation beyond repute

great article

16-Time Grand Slam Champion.

2013 Titles: Brisbane, Sony Open (Miami), Family Circle Cup, Madrid, Rome, 16th SLAM-THE FRENCH OPEN, Bastad, Roger's Cup

2013 Record: (60-4)
SAEKeithSerena is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote