Holding 3 Slams but not #1 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 21st, 2009, 12:56 AM   #1
country flag Kworb
Most Loved Member

Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute
Holding 3 Slams but not #1

If Serena wins Wimbledon she will hold 3 Slams but Safina will still be #1. I think the last time this happened was in early 1997 when Hingis became #1 while Graf was still holding RG, Wimbledon and US Open. Anyone know if there are more examples of this happening?

SERENA WILLIAMS 64 75 AGNIESZKA RADWANSKA 61 57 60
LAUREN DAVIS 60 76 CAMILA GIORGI 46 63 75 BOJANA JOVANOVSKI 63 36 75
VENUS WILLIAMS 64 76 AGNIESZKA RADWANSKA 62 62
Kworb is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 21st, 2009, 01:12 AM   #2
country flag Slammer7
Hoping for less D'oh and more woohoo!

Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Holding 3 Slams but not #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kworb View Post
If Serena wins Wimbledon she will hold 3 Slams but Safina will still be #1. I think the last time this happened was in early 1997 when Hingis became #1 while Graf was still holding RG, Wimbledon and US Open. Anyone know if there are more examples of this happening?
No. Actually the last time it happened was in the summer of 2003 when Clijsters was #1 while Serena held the 02 U.S Open, 03 AO and 03 Wimbledon.
Isn't Mary Carillo a dried up, bitter, menopausal, frustrated harpy.....?
Slammer7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 01:15 AM   #3
country flag Havok
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Havok has a reputation beyond repute Havok has a reputation beyond repute Havok has a reputation beyond repute Havok has a reputation beyond repute Havok has a reputation beyond repute Havok has a reputation beyond repute Havok has a reputation beyond repute Havok has a reputation beyond repute Havok has a reputation beyond repute Havok has a reputation beyond repute Havok has a reputation beyond repute

Just goes to show you to be #1 you still need to participate in a decent amount of additional tournaments and do well in them.

Havok is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 01:20 AM   #4
country flag AnnaK_4ever

AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Serena could've been ranked 2nd even if she had won both Roland Garros and Wimbledon in addition to her US and Australian Opens titles. The current ranking system is a big fat joke.
AnnaK_4ever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 01:23 AM   #5
country flag Expat

Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaK_4ever View Post
Serena could've been ranked 2nd even if she had won both Roland Garros and Wimbledon in addition to her US and Australian Opens titles. The current ranking system is a big fat joke.
You are not updating your weekly ranking system even that shows Safina as no 1
how can WTA rank someone as no 1 if they dont play enough
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 01:31 AM   #6
country flag AnnaK_4ever

AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalit View Post
I'm gonna update it. In my system Serena would've been #1 had she won Roland Garros.
AnnaK_4ever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 01:43 AM   #7
country flag Slammer7

Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naldo View Post
Just goes to show you to be #1 you still need to participate in a decent amount of additional tournaments and do well in them.
Serena did play enough in 02-03 and she did win enough titles too. She had 3 of the 4 Slams and the semis of the other. She also had 4 other WTA titles(7 in total) when she lost the #1 ranking.

Quote:
You got that right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalit View Post
In 2003 Serena held 7 titles and was the defending champ of 3 slams and could have lost the #1 ranking at Wimbledon that year if big sis didn't win that courageous match against Clijsters. Kim would have taken over the #1 ranking if she had reached the Wimbledon final. Even if she had lost to Serena she would have been #1. Even with 3 losses that year to Serena, Serena having 7 titles and 3 slams and Kim being slamless with the same number of titles in the last 52 weeks. Obviously Serena had more high value titles. The fact that she could have done it, and even if Serena hadn't gotten injured, Serena basically would have had to go undefeated the rest of the season to hold on to the #1 ranking. Now you have to admit that is just stupid. All because Kim played 22 tournaments in 52 weeks.
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 01:52 AM   #8
country flag Diesel
Been There... Won That... x2

Diesel has a reputation beyond repute Diesel has a reputation beyond repute Diesel has a reputation beyond repute Diesel has a reputation beyond repute Diesel has a reputation beyond repute Diesel has a reputation beyond repute Diesel has a reputation beyond repute Diesel has a reputation beyond repute Diesel has a reputation beyond repute Diesel has a reputation beyond repute Diesel has a reputation beyond repute

I'll take the three slams then and be happy about it.
Imperious in victory. Never conceiving the possibility of defeat. The greatest of her era. The self-belief, that smile, backhand, muscles, serve, personality, all larger than life. There's no greater sight in women's tennis than watching Serena J. Williams go to work.
The others are Great, but Serena's the Greatest

Diesel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 02:40 AM   #9
country flag sakya23

sakya23 is a splendid one to behold sakya23 is a splendid one to behold sakya23 is a splendid one to behold sakya23 is a splendid one to behold sakya23 is a splendid one to behold sakya23 is a splendid one to behold sakya23 is a splendid one to behold sakya23 is a splendid one to behold sakya23 is a splendid one to behold sakya23 is a splendid one to behold sakya23 is a splendid one to behold

safina had an amazing clay season and reached finals of 2/4 slams. Serena has only done good in the slams, everything isn't worth mentioning. you can't just play 12 tourneys and be #1 esppecially when someone else is playing more and winnning more matches.
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 02:43 AM   #10
country flag Donny

Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute

I think Serena winning Wimbledon would be a good chance to show the world just how useless rankings are as a measure of ability.
Donny is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 02:43 AM   #11
country flag hingisGOAT

hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammer7 View Post
All because Kim played 22 tournaments in 52 weeks.
I like how you say it as though we should fault Kim for her dedication As if 22 tournaments is some astronomical number, when there are women who play 30+
In tennis history, no top player has suffered more beat-downs in big matches than Vulturepova T1 R16 2-6 1-6 AM | T1 SF0-6 0-6 LD | T1 F 3-6 1-6 MH | AO F 1-6 2-6 SW | T1 R16 1-6 1-6 SW | RG SF 1-6 1-6 AI | Wimbledon SF 2-6 2-6 VW | T1 QF 2-6 2-6 VW | T1 F 4-6 1-6 VA | T1 QF 1-6 3-6 SW | T1 F 1-6 4-6 VA | T1 SF 1-6 2-6 Woz | AO F 3-6 0-6 VA | T1 F 2-6 3-6 VA | T1 QF 1-6 3-6 SW | Olympics F 0-6 1-6 SW | T1 F 3-6 1-6 VA
hingisGOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 02:46 AM   #12
country flag Ryan
NeverWoz

Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by heylookimgay View Post
I like how you say it as though we should fault Kim for her dedication As if 22 tournaments is some astronomical number, when there are women who play 30+

Especially when she went deep in almost all of them. How evil of her. Playing a lot, and being in the top 5, is a great thing, because it almost always means you're winning a lot too.
Ryan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 02:56 AM   #13
country flag In The Zone
it's serena, bitch.

In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yep. Had she defeated Safina in the French final, Safina would have been #1. If Safina improved on her 3rd round Wimbledon showing and Serena went on to win Wimbledon, mathematically, Safina could still be #1. That's insane.
In The Zone is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 03:15 AM   #14
country flag Slammer7

Quote:
Originally Posted by heylookimgay View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Especially when she went deep in almost all of them. How evil of her. Playing a lot, and being in the top 5, is a great thing, because it almost always means you're winning a lot too.
I love how you both assumed that was my meaning. Kim retired too early and now is attempting a comeback because she burned herself out. A modern plague on women's tennis. Kim, Myskina, Hingis and Dokic led the tour in different years for matches played and tournaments entered and what do they all have in common? Early exits from the game. My greater point,(which you both seemed to miss) was that it took Kim( a player I liked mind you) 22 tournaments to do what it took Serena 12 tournaments to do. And because Kim played such a heavy schedule and had consistent results she was able to challenge for a ranking that under a quality and winning percentage based ranking system she wouldn't have. Quantity doesn't and shouldn't equal quality. You do understand if Justine hadn't reached the semis of the YEC in 2003 that Kim would have ended the season #1? A season were Serena and Justine both won 2 majors, both beat Kim on the biggest stages of the sport and a year Justine won 8 titles. Come on, you can't always justify slamless #1's by saying "Serena doesn't play enough", because sometimes (shocker I know) the person who should be #1 at the time isn't Serena.
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 03:20 AM   #15
country flag AcesHigh

AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute

Blah blah blah. Serena would then be holding 3 titles. If she had top 5 results outside slams this wouldn't be an issue. Serena's chances at #1 are in her hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrinbaker00 View Post
When will you learn that "pushers" never make it past the club level, let alone #1 on the WTA computer? Will it be too late?
AcesHigh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote